Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
playing a support in solo queue atm is fun because you win every single fight you take part in, because supports are actually extremely powerful, but the other lanes are all dying 1v1 while you're not there so it's literally impossible to win regardless of how impactful you personally are :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
support is easily top 3 most impactful role.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
You could argue its the most important role at the moment. Junglers have had the rug pulled out from underneath them, mid doesn't carry as hard as it used to, botlaners are facing 4 enemies from level 3 onward.

The rise of carry tops over dog champs probably puts them in second - its a real win lane win game place at the moment

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Oh hey they finally did the thing I've been wanting them to do for years ie give you a 2nd win in your third attempt at a rank promos. It doesn't just give you the next rank for free if you do it again does it?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

el dingo posted:

You could argue its the most important role at the moment. Junglers have had the rug pulled out from underneath them, mid doesn't carry as hard as it used to, botlaners are facing 4 enemies from level 3 onward.

The rise of carry tops over dog champs probably puts them in second - its a real win lane win game place at the moment

Bot is still more important in my experience, just because if you start snowballing, there's more targets to kill. It's super anecdotal but I was unable to carry a game as a snowballing Fiora top lane because for every one kill I got top, the enemy Vayne got two in bot.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
marksmen cant really snowball from kills the way more bursty champions can. if you kill then you get more cs and lane priority but you cant really impact other lanes too much

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

el dingo posted:

I think jungle is the most impactful but the caveat is that you can only play like 3 champs (xin, Camille, and maybe jax or nidalee)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah that's 7 losses in a row of which 2 are actually meaningfully my fault (one where i fed out of my mind on pyke and the other where i picked a character that wasn't viktor into top viktor and had to play against top viktor)

http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=das+kappatal (so you can find replays and tell me i'm Just A Bad Player, i guess)

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Not bad considering I spammed ~40-50 games last minute from S3 0LP after basically not playing for like a year. My teammates all laughed at me for picking nasus into darius but then the 30 minute mark happened

Monicro fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 9, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Slaapaav posted:

marksmen cant really snowball from kills the way more bursty champions can. if you kill then you get more cs and lane priority but you cant really impact other lanes too much

Play Ashe. Or just get your team to force team fights if you're ahead on an adc.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
How do I Kindred? With most other junglers I can at least do ok enough to not throw on a regular basis, but I can't seem to wrap my head around this one.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Big McHuge posted:

How do I Kindred? With most other junglers I can at least do ok enough to not throw on a regular basis, but I can't seem to wrap my head around this one.

Make sure you press R instead of the alternative (not pressing R)

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
You know, after watching that K/DA video a few more times, it's actually really great.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's good because its production quality and songwriting choices are basically anything but Kpop, it could have easily been a Charli XCX or Fifth Harmony song

Like it's just a western pop song with some Korean lyrics, it's really really well made

also goes to show you that with artists like Lil Pump and mumble rap, lyrics are basically not important anymore

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

It's good because its production quality and songwriting choices are basically anything but Kpop, it could have easily been a Charli XCX or Fifth Harmony song

Like it's just a western pop song with some Korean lyrics, it's really really well made

Yeah I totally agree with this.

Also I am the walrus is one of the greatest pop songs ever written so I'm not sure lyrics ever mattered.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Slaapaav posted:

support is easily top 3 most impactful role.

Not at the moment. Support's only really impactful right now if you have the opportunity to pressure mid early or invade with your jungler. Sitting bot and babysitting Kai'Sa for 15 minutes is a coinflip as to whether your other lanes do well or not. I'd put order of importance at something like: Top = Mid > Jungle > Support > Bot.

The current meta is a really weird inverse of the past three seasons. Aside from a few strong early scaling ADCs (Lucian, Klepto Ez, Dark Harvest MF), every other ADC needs 2.5 - 3 items before they can even begin to teamfight effectively. Even when they do get 3 items, they're still in constant danger of getting instantly blown up by any one of the numerous strong divers or assassins in the meta. Teamfights are usually a game of rocket tag because of the near total lack of good frontline in the meta. The best you can hope for is maybe an Alistar/Braum and a Sion/Poppy from top, but that's comparatively rare. It's a situation that doesn't favor ADC in the slightest, and that means that support's comparative strength as a position is diminished.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Vermain posted:

It's a situation that doesn't favor ADC in the slightest, and that means that support's comparative strength as a position is diminished.
removing sightstone as a buyable item was lowkey the biggest long-term balance mistake riot's made in a long, long time

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Chris de Sperg posted:

removing sightstone as a buyable item was lowkey the biggest long-term balance mistake riot's made in a long, long time

Other than completely messing with Lee Sin, why do you think this is?

I like the current meta a lot, I think it's a lot more enjoyable to play and watch than the game has been in a long time.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Chris de Sperg posted:

I'm not nearly good enough to agree or disagree with this but i really miss sightstone

strong bird
May 12, 2009

alas - the role i play is the hardest and also least important one

strong bird
May 12, 2009

its very cool how removing all the ninjas and samurais would make the game much better for everyone except for the broke brains who play those condemnable archetypes, whom can be safely ignored for their perfidy

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Assassins need to be all reworked or removed. It’s real cool having so much mobility on one dude but they’re either gods or useless they can’t balance them for poo poo. But I could say the same for bruisers too so hire me Riot I won’t even try sexually harass anyone.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

Other than completely messing with Lee Sin, why do you think this is?

I like the current meta a lot, I think it's a lot more enjoyable to play and watch than the game has been in a long time.
it just straight-up removed the ability of supports to make strategic choices in the early game i.e. the period where by definition they are supposed to be more impactful. went from "do i prioritise sightstone/boots/item", "how closely do i play towards my ADC", "when will i have opportunities to work with mid/jungle/top, what sort of pressure do i want to exert wrt presence in lanes vs presence in jungle", all that sort of thing, to "i am upgrading my support item first back every single time, then i am staying in my lane continuously waiting until i have sightstone, oh i have sightstone but it's 10-15 minutes in and my most interesting windows for making choices and shaping the map based off those choices are gone, hope i was able to fight 2v2 or 3v3 because otherwise sucks to be me". it wasn't even like tracker's knife where you can make a case for it on competitive grounds, it was just completely unnecessary

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re reasoning was that junglers couldn’t ever tank cause of all the wards that were there. Which is true. I can see the argument for both sides but being a support I’ll lean towards gimme all the vision I can handle cause nobody else will.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
What do you guys think of Zyra mid? I main her as support and I have been trying her mid lately in normals. I have been doing great, getting S's. My last game was 11/0/2. I know she's not in the meta mid right now, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm going to say that top lane is far more influential now than people think. If you can win its easy to get first tower then snag the rift herald. That will let you easily get another tower then just snowball from there. Fighty top laners are good right now and hard tanks are kind of meh.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 9, 2018

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

The Dregs posted:

What do you guys think of Zyra mid? I main her as support and I have been trying her mid lately in normals. I have been doing great, getting S's. My last game was 11/0/2. I know she's not in the meta mid right now, though.

It probably would work fine in any elo people here are playing in.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Invalid Validation posted:

Assassins need to be all reworked or removed. It’s real cool having so much mobility on one dude but they’re either gods or useless they can’t balance them for poo poo. But I could say the same for bruisers too so hire me Riot I won’t even try sexually harass anyone.

That's literally the point of assassins, though.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Dregs posted:

No roam potential or mobility, no kill pressure, some really bad matchups against decent or good players, early mana problems. Terrible when behind. Nightmarish when shoved under turret by an Ahri or Azir.

If you can land a combo, that’s cool, but you also put yourself at a lot of risk doing so and you don’t even push the lane as well as other champs. If you’re going to play Zyra mid you should probably just play Xerath because he’s an easier, better version of the same thing and has some small amount of side lane pressure.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

No roam potential or mobility, no kill pressure, some really bad matchups against decent or good players, early mana problems. Terrible when behind. Nightmarish when shoved under turret by an Ahri or Azir.

If you can land a combo, that’s cool, but you also put yourself at a lot of risk doing so and you don’t even push the lane as well as other champs. If you’re going to play Zyra mid you should probably just play Xerath because he’s an easier, better version of the same thing and has some small amount of side lane pressure.

I've never tried Xerath. I'll check him out. thank you. I think I am doing so well with her because I know her backwards and forwards.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Dregs posted:

I've never tried Xerath. I'll check him out. thank you. I think I am doing so well with her because I know her backwards and forwards.

That's way more important than the champ itself being powerful, really. If you know zyra, you are enjoying zyra, and are doing well with zyra then gently caress it, play zyra.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Most people who climb do it by getting really good at 1 or 2 champs, honestly. Knowing all the matchups inside and out makes up for a lot.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bros.... its happening

https://twitter.com/loltyler1/status/1061011357590605829

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
A champion you know like the back of your hand is always going to be more effective than whatever is in the meta right now. Even ignoring he fun factor.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Someone might want to let him know Spring 2018 is already done.

Unless he's a time wizard.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

It's Spring in the southern hemisphere :v:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Is there a way to cheese the last watch and earn quest or should I just leave a couple vods running in a tab

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Monicro posted:

Is there a way to cheese the last watch and earn quest or should I just leave a couple vods running in a tab

Aren't they the same thing

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Listen that would take like, a full hour or so. i need to find a way to circumvent that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

My favorite part of the end of this season has been playing Vayne Spotting, but extended to every role but support where all players are ACTUALLY masters smurfs despite sitting at a ~50% win rate and a 1.4 KDA on their "main" champion. But of course, they're playing off role. Normally they're a Zed main in Masters but they're only feeding in the Jungle because they're not used to it.

you joke but i legit drop like 2 tiers of skill if i get put in mid lane, i loving suck at mid lane