Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Can we just marvel for a second at the fact that an 85-year-old woman broke three ribs and shrugged it off for a few hours before going to the hospital because she felt "discomfort," then got released from the hospital like a day later and is already looking at working from home?

She's propelled by some liberal version of the spite that keeps fuckers on the right alive for way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The past three Presidents have openly concentrated power in the executive branch, including illegal wars, and insisting on "looking forward, not backward" when refusing to prosecute those responsible for crimes against humanity, in which we looked so far forward we found ourselves back with a Republican administration installed without a popular vote that is looking for the next illegal war to start and is massively violating civil liberties on a day to day basis.

So yes, worrying about "rule of law" is a loving joke and to ensure we never get another Trump means actually establishing a rule of law, not pretending the joke we have now is some sort of sword worth dying on. Mueller was a propagandist for the Iraq War and should be rotting in a cell with every other shitheel involved in a conflict that killed hundreds of thousands if not more innocent people for no loving reason.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

eke out posted:

it's weird you even bother posting, since you've already got politics all figured out. thanks for sharing your wisdom, though

You're welcome for my service

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

The past three Presidents have openly concentrated power in the executive branch, including illegal wars, and insisting on "looking forward, not backward" when refusing to prosecute those responsible for crimes against humanity, in which we looked so far forward we found ourselves back with a Republican administration installed without a popular vote that is looking for the next illegal war to start and is massively violating civil liberties on a day to day basis.

So yes, worrying about "rule of law" is a loving joke and to ensure we never get another Trump means actually establishing a rule of law, not pretending the joke we have now is some sort of sword worth dying on. Mueller was a propagandist for the Iraq War and should be rotting in a cell with every other shitheel involved in a conflict that killed hundreds of thousands if not more innocent people for no loving reason.

The United States is a fascist country, and Trump! lifting the veil on any sense of ~decorum~ makes the centrists want to put the curtains back up, as if Obama wasn't doing the same thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Why don't people care enough about the issues I care about?!" seems to be a pretty common thing but saying people aren't protesting enough when literally a fifth of the country has been involved in a protest since 2016 is weird.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Jill Stein was really ahead of everyone when it came to grifting #resistance idiots.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jeff Sessions joined the resistance when he took his first drag on that suicide joint

Groovelord Neato posted:

what kemp is doing in georgia and scott is trying in florida are worse than firing sessions and it's insane that isn't what people are getting worked up about to this degree.

I think there's a perception that those are Florida/Georgia's problem and people outside those states can't do anything but wait and see. The DOJ is a national issue.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

If only everyone would just sit at home and complain about dems online, the republicans would stop looting the corpse of our country.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

This is some of the dumbest analysis I've ever seen, and you should stop posting.

Yeah, seriously.

If anti-vaxx bullshit gets a major politician in office - as president no less - the potential catastrophes absolutely could dwarf the past 20 years of American foreign policy blunders.

80,000 Americans died of the flu last year. You drop vaccination rates and that number skyrockets as.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

evilweasel posted:

The issue is that the Mueller investigation, and protecting it, is basically at this point a proxy fight for the rule of law. By tradition (because the Constitution doesn't really do a good job here) the DOJ is independent of Presidential control to a large degree, to try to keep prosecutorial decisions independent of politics, both to avoid politically motivated prosecutions and to avoid politically motivated blocking of prosecutions. The problem, of course, is that's just tradition: the Constitution isn't set up to wall off the DOJ from the President.

Allowing Trump to use the DOJ the way he wants to use it - a shield for his allies, and a sword against his enemies - would be a huge step towards authoritarianism. It's also why Trump's pardons to date have been so dangerous - it's not a threat to the country that Joe Arpaio didn't spend thirty days in jail, but it's a threat to the republic that he didn't spend thirty days in jail that he deserved to spend in jail because he is an ally of the President.

That's why people consider it so important to protect the Mueller investigation: not because it's going to produce some earth-shattering result that will fix America by banning Trump forever. It's because allowing Trump to end the Mueller investigation implicitly cedes to him the power to end prosecutions for politically motivated reasons, which will rapidly be followed by the power to start prosecutions for politically motivated reasons. And that's a disaster for the country.

It sounds like people should be pushing for Congress to put something on paper enforcing DoJ independence, rather than trying to convince Trump to stick to tradition in this one particular case. Tradition isn't rule of law.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Guze posted:

Jill Stein was really ahead of everyone when it came to grifting #resistance idiots.

I have real trouble getting actually-mad at the Krassensteins. I mean, it sure is working for them.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

evilweasel posted:

The issue is that the Mueller investigation, and protecting it, is basically at this point a proxy fight for the rule of law. By tradition (because the Constitution doesn't really do a good job here) the DOJ is independent of Presidential control to a large degree, to try to keep prosecutorial decisions independent of politics, both to avoid politically motivated prosecutions and to avoid politically motivated blocking of prosecutions. The problem, of course, is that's just tradition: the Constitution isn't set up to wall off the DOJ from the President.

Allowing Trump to use the DOJ the way he wants to use it - a shield for his allies, and a sword against his enemies - would be a huge step towards authoritarianism. It's also why Trump's pardons to date have been so dangerous - it's not a threat to the country that Joe Arpaio didn't spend thirty days in jail, but it's a threat to the republic that he didn't spend thirty days in jail that he deserved to spend in jail because he is an ally of the President.

That's why people consider it so important to protect the Mueller investigation: not because it's going to produce some earth-shattering result that will fix America by banning Trump forever. It's because allowing Trump to end the Mueller investigation implicitly cedes to him the power to end prosecutions for politically motivated reasons, which will rapidly be followed by the power to start prosecutions for politically motivated reasons. And that's a disaster for the country.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not sure that attacking people for trying to say that Robert Mueller's investigation should be protected because "YOU DIDN'T PROTEST OTHER THING" is a great idea. If we allow Trump to get away with killing off an investigation into himself we're essentially saying "Nixon was right, the rule of law doesn't apply to the President." It's a horrendously dangerous precedent to set.

Not empty quoting.

And I kind of love the logic of "Rule of law was not followed before, so why ever bother trying to curb an open fascist blowing it off entirely?"

:confuoot:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1060912526244896770?s=19

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

RGB could do more push ups than Trump

RBG can do more pushups than most goons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thaddius the Large posted:

When was the last time the rule of law did apply to the President?

All the time? We just didn't have an overwhelming number of impeachable crimes going down during the Obama admin, and Bush was more of a "war crime" kind of guy

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Toaster Beef posted:

Can we just marvel for a second at the fact that an 85-year-old woman broke three ribs and shrugged it off for a few hours before going to the hospital because she felt "discomfort," then got released from the hospital like a day later and is already looking at working from home?

She's propelled by some liberal version of the spite that keeps fuckers on the right alive for way too long.

Evil doesn't take a day off. Why should we?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
https://twitter.com/phillysnark/status/1060649431282970625?s=21

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

No, they just want Detective Mueller to put the bracelets on Trump. I mean, you might have a few powdered wig types in there, but on the whole it's just a bunch of NPR tote bag havers speaking their native language.

You're wrong. Plenty of people hope that, but understand instinctively the importance of walling off the DOJ from a lawless, corrupt president.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm not sure that attacking people for trying to say that Robert Mueller's investigation should be protected because "YOU DIDN'T PROTEST OTHER THING" is a great idea. If we allow Trump to get away with killing off an investigation into himself we're essentially saying "Nixon was right, the rule of law doesn't apply to the President." It's a horrendously dangerous precedent to set.

I'm defending caring about the Mueller investigation, if it seems like I'm not then either I mangled what I wrote or you misinterpreted me. It's vitally important to preserve the investigation for reasons that have nothing to do with the hope that it eventually leads to impeachment and conviction, and is still vitally important to preserve even if you assumed for the sake of argument that Trump was entirely blameless and innocent and that the Mueller investigation would conclude that.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The People's Liberation Army of Braddock will die before we align ourselves with that orange trot splitter bastard

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, seriously.

If anti-vaxx bullshit gets a major politician in office - as president no less - the potential catastrophes absolutely could dwarf the past 20 years of American foreign policy blunders.

80,000 Americans died of the flu last year. You drop vaccination rates and that number skyrockets as.

trump is anti-vaxx, we're already there

http://fortune.com/2017/02/16/donald-trump-autism-vaccines/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, seriously.

On the other hand, between the three candidates, Jill Stein had the only "sensible, pragmatic" approach to the nightmare of climate change. One candidate went around selling fracking to the world. The other became President and declared the world doomed by 2100. Which will kill us all, vaccines or no.

Obsessing over Jill Stein is the real case of sad brains people should be worrying about.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

Good. I hope she's still dunking on Republicans when she's 120.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, seriously.

That was one of the reasons so many Americans died of flu last year.

Trump's antivaxx too but hasn't really done anything on that front.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mineaiki posted:

If only everyone would just sit at home and complain about dems online, the republicans would stop looting the corpse of our country.

everybody knows the republicans are all vampires, and 85%~ of Dems are too, so. . yeah we can complain about how lovely both are.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

You're wrong. Plenty of people hope that, but understand instinctively the importance of walling off the DOJ from a lawless, corrupt president.

I'm defending caring about the Mueller investigation, if it seems like I'm not then either I mangled what I wrote or you misinterpreted me. It's vitally important to preserve the investigation for reasons that have nothing to do with the hope that it eventually leads to impeachment and conviction, and is still vitally important to preserve even if you assumed for the sake of argument that Trump was entirely blameless and innocent and that the Mueller investigation would conclude that.

No no, you misunderstand...I was trying to back you up. I probably should have made that clearer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

It sounds like people should be pushing for Congress to put something on paper enforcing DoJ independence, rather than trying to convince Trump to stick to tradition in this one particular case. Tradition isn't rule of law.

People have been doing it (trying to pass, basically, a Mueller protection bill) but conservative legal theory has been saying for years (well before Trump) that it would basically be unconstitutional to do so (the "unitary executive" theory) which is a big reason that this is tradition rather than formal law.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gritty is a national treasure and should have won easily.

Kinda mad about the whole 'wasting your vote' thing, but...not quite a waste.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pennsylvania already had an orange wave in 2016.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No no, you misunderstand...I was trying to back you up.

gotcha, sorry, that should have been obvious to me :v:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
He's cranky

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060924708101644288

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Guze posted:

Jill is a hero and i hope she runs again in 2020

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CuddleCryptid posted:

All the time? We just didn't have an overwhelming number of impeachable crimes going down during the Obama admin, and Bush was more of a "war crime" kind of guy

I dunno, this was pretty bad

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, Donny, that's generally what happens in Great Big States where Lots Of People live. It takes a Very Long Time to count the votes in an election, and often times they have to count them over again when mistakes are made. The willful misuse of the Russian interference canard was cute, though.

Now let's get you a bottle and put you down for your nap.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

On the other hand, between the three candidates, Jill Stein had the only "sensible, pragmatic" approach to the nightmare of climate change. One candidate went around selling fracking to the world. The other became President and declared the world doomed by 2100. Which will kill us all, vaccines or no.

Obsessing over Jill Stein is the real case of sad brains people should be worrying about.

Really, the problem is that major presidential candidates are so consistently bad that popular opinions like "maybe we should do something about climate chance" and "maybe foreign interventionism is bad and we should cut it out" and "loving legalize weed already" are restricted exclusively to crazy fringe candidates like Ron Paul and Jill Stein. Stein is bad in many ways, and her antivax views are a grave threat to public health - but many are willing to put up with that because she reps policies that no other general election candidate dares to back.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

So basically, infrastructure, prescription drugs, working with Trump, and investigating Trump. I can't say I'm thrilled, given that there's a lot missing from that list and that the last two items have a rather obvious conflict. But given the current makeup of the Senate and the fact that the election votes haven't even finished being counted yet, I'll save most of my complaining for later and give them a little time to see how these develop first.

My major concern is that this entire list is pretty obviously just laying groundwork for 2020, but it's awfully short and conservative by campaign-trail standards. But like I said, it's still quite early and a lot will depend on how things develop in the next few months in response to these first steps.

There's a ton of climate change stuff in that posted agenda too.

I also suspect the talk of working with Trump is just that, talk. Maybe we can convince the orange idiot to work with us on some infrastructure bills because he likes putting his name on things! But, y'know, they're also going to be running multiple committee investigations into him so I don't think it's likely he'll be willing to try to work with Pelosi.

Really it seems like a very reasonable list of important things for Dems to be working on: climate change, healthcare, infrastructure, racial bias and hate crimes, various investigations into the Trump admin.

They're just couching it in vague language about bipartisanship so they don't feed the right-wing narrative about EVIL PARTISAN PELOSI WITCH HUNT OBSTRUCTIONIST DEMONCRATS.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HelloSailorSign posted:

while i cannot say enough bad things about anti-vaxxers, my impression has been that disdain for the effectiveness of the flu shot (which does have significant swings in effectiveness), and not considering it a big deal because "it's the flu, what the gently caress is the big deal, you feel sick for a few days and get better" is not really at all correlated with anti-vaxxers. i only started considering it a medical necessity as opposed to a convenience that i could easily do without when i had a baby, because the baby could be at risk if they got the flu, but as a normal healthy adult the worst thing that'll happen to me if i get the flu is i feel crummy for two days.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when people say the president is above the rule of law they aren't talking about an executive order getting struck down. they're talking about how he's been in violation of the emoluments clause since the nanosecond he took office. they're talking about how we'll have to eventually pay hundreds of millions of dollars to his own properties because he spends so much time there. they're talking about all the nepotism, the allowance of his relations to profit from the presidency. the brazen and incalculable corruption.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Tibalt posted:

The People's Liberation Army of Braddock will die before we align ourselves with that orange trot splitter bastard

the traitors will fall under gritty's mighty fists

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it absolutely rules watching a lawyer trying to convince himself that no, really, after Bush V Gore 2000, "we tortured some folks," and "for the next two years committing fraud on homeowners is legal" there is such a thing as rule of law for the powerful

sorry, buddy, train sailed on that one a while back, the question now is exactly where the cutoff should be for the law not applying. at last check it's at ~nine figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

eke out posted:

the first three iterations of the travel ban, all of the iterations of the military trans ban, DACA (still enjoined years later), the keystone XL pipeline (once again enjoined nationally as of yesterday), multiple convictions and guilty pleas of top campaign officials?

Lol, yeah, fair, I was asking for it with the snide, dismissive comment.