Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Re: changing. He pees because his penis is exposed to air, so pretty much anything you can put on there will work to some degree. We have always just used a baby wipe but that’s about to no longer work because our little man is so grabby and active he immediately takes hold of the baby wipe.

Two things: this was hit or miss but upon opening his wet diaper, we’d close it back and open it three times to see if he’d pee or not and if so it would be in the diaper. Then we’d still use the wipe as a teepee. Lastly we have always just put his new diaper underneath him so when we were done wiping him down we could remove his wet one and rapidly cover up his pecker with his fresh diaper before he could pee. We still do this even though he mostly just pees in the bath now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Our kid had the days and nights thing too. From what I understand it's really common - we had it for a few weeks but she gradually grew out of it within the first month and now at 10 weeks she's completely over it and has been for a while.

We also struggled with whether or not to keep a newborn awake and mostly settled on letting her sleep when she could and eventually she figured it out.

One thing we did try to help grease the skids on that was to introduce a bedtime routines of bath/feeding/changing/swaddling/soothing and then putting her down, which she seems to have gotten used to within the first 4-6 weeks.

Over time with that, we'd notice that we'd get a stretch of her sleeping for around 3 hours and then shorter chunks throughout the rest of the night night. That initial stretch has grown longer and longer (she's now up to ~6 hours with ~3 hours for the later night chunks). Now that she's a bit older we also feel better about trying not to let her sleep too much throughout the day as we have noticed it throw things off for her at night.

TL:DR - day/night confusion is normal, he'll grow out of it and at 11 days giving her what he need is fine, but you can also start to try to develop/push him in the right direction of sleeping.

E: whoops not everyone's kid is a girl

butros fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 7, 2018

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

He's brand new. Everything you described is all textbook brand new newborn behavior.

He's doing fine and you're doing fine. It's a hard transition to life on the outside for all three of you.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The day before my first kid's 1 month appointment, he didn't sleep more than a few minutes for 24 hours. :allears:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nwin posted:

Little guy still isn't sleeping well in the bassinet at all. He's 11 days old now and we're thinking he might have acid reflux-we have an appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow and will check with her. He also only sleeps on his side. Anytime we lay him down in the bassinet or crib, he just automatically rolls to one side or the other and stays there.

Our son (3 months old) still has both acid reflux and gas problems. If he’s laying down on his side I’d bet that’s a gas problem. Does he also arch his back when crying? For gas we have to give him drops after feeding, give him special (expensive) formula, and make sure he’s adequately burped. I’ll also hold him on his side when he’s in my lap and that seems to help the gas issue. Remember that you always want him sleeping on his back to reduce the chance of SIDS.

For acid reflux it usually involves him crying and making a weird gulping sound. Usually sitting him up helps. We also have drops for that as well.

quote:

As for the days/nights thing, not sure what to do if that's the case. I've read to keep him up (so he sleeps during the night due to being tired) or not keep him up (he's so young that he needs all the sleep he can get). I don't think I should be striving to keep a newborn awake, honestly. If I see him in the rock n play too much during the day snoozing away, I'll usually pick him up and hold him for a bit when he is awake after a diaper change, but the little guy seems to be way more interested in sleeping than just staring at me while he poops.

At 11 days old I wouldn’t be trying to keep him up. For ours I’d say it took about 6 weeks or so to develop a day/night rhythm. Babies do thrive on repetition though so if you can get him into the habit of a nighttime ritual early that will help.

quote:

Also trying to think of better ways to change him. He's peed on himself and us a few times now. We're putting a washcloth over him while we change him and that at least catches the pee if he lets it go, but not sure if there's any better ways. The peepee teepees don't seem like they would work well, but maybe I'm wrong.

We could never get the teepees to stay on and seemed to be designed for some mythical baby that doesn’t squirm when you change him. We just use a washcloth and never looked back.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Don't keep a baby up during the day - sleep begets sleep and an overtired baby will sleep even less at night.

For day/night confusion you can try leaving blinds open/lights on and talking in normal tones during the day but keeping things dark, avoiding eye contact at night (but do use a sound machine bc they don't like silence). It usually fixes itself by 3 months.

My babies have all hated the bassinet too, we've given in to sleeping in the rock n play at night and having him practice sleeping in the bassinet during the day. You can try putting a rolled up blanket under his head to create a slight incline too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I've heard a theory that a newborn's sleep cycle often is just an extension of their sleep cycle in the womb. And for some babies, perhaps the motion of mom walking around/moving during the day 'rocks' them to sleep, while the relative stillness when mom settles down in the evening gets them to be more active. They get born, and suffer a major case of jet lag.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Panfilo posted:

I've heard a theory that a newborn's sleep cycle often is just an extension of their sleep cycle in the womb. And for some babies, perhaps the motion of mom walking around/moving during the day 'rocks' them to sleep, while the relative stillness when mom settles down in the evening gets them to be more active. They get born, and suffer a major case of jet lag.

This is what the nurse at the newborn care class told us on Monday. She told all the pregnant folks to keep track of when the baby was kicking and when it felt like it was sleeping, because that pattern would likely continue after birth.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

nwin posted:

Also trying to think of better ways to change him. He's peed on himself and us a few times now. We're putting a washcloth over him while we change him and that at least catches the pee if he lets it go, but not sure if there's any better ways. The peepee teepees don't seem like they would work well, but maybe I'm wrong.

Going for the easy question:
0. Products you can use: change pad, a cover and a liner on top of the cover. The point is layers, layers which can be easily changed and washed. Sometimes I've changed with just the liner or the change matt, but I've seen poop cannons before. You can skip the first two if you must, but something washable that you have multiple of should be present.
1. Keep the old nappy under the baby while you do the initial wiping. Assuming you go front to back (essential for girls), deposit the wipe, clean/hand side up, covering the pee-area of the nappy/poop (so they don't re-cover themselves). Eventually you have a baby with their backside laying atop a pile of wipes on a clean side.
2. Time for some speed: Remove the old nappy and wrap up, quickly get the new nappy under the baby. This is the risky time where your washable and duplicated liner will come in if pee/poop does happen (it does, you can't avoid it entirely, just manage it).
3. Take your time wrapping back up.

You're correct with the washcloth over the downstairs when human waste is not present. We do the same thing when moving from the change area to the bath. Saved me more than once. The AmazonBasics ones are good for stuff you can just abuse.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've noticed that my almost six year old son is repeating what he says as a whisper under his breath sometimes. So, if he says 'Dad, can I have a snack?' he might then repeat 'have a snack' quietly under his breath. When I ask him about it, it's almost like he doesn't realize he's talking aloud, he looks puzzled when I ask him why he's whispering and then sort of shrugs it off. Googling tells me it could be a sign of anxiety, but other than normal kid fears like the dark he never seems particularly anxious about stuff. The only thing I can think of that might be causing him some anxiety is that his Mum is currently out of the country due to visa hassles that we're having to deal with. She's been gone for 5 months or so now, and is due back (fingers crossed) within another month. He's adjusted well to the situation and we talk with her every day, but obviously does miss her and asks often when she'll be back. Other than that, he's a happy, healthy kid. Enjoys school, has plenty of friends, his teachers all say that he's a joy to teach.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't think that's anxiety. Sounds like just him maybe starting his inner language development slightly earlier and that's how it manifested itself

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm almost 31 and I still sometimes have to consciously avoid doing stuff like that. I lived a lot inside my head as a kid and I always assumed it was related. I'm sure it's normal

Does he have a strong imagination?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Hey! I did that as a kid and so did my brother. I don’t know why I did it, but mum helped me to stop by encouraging me to consciously close my mouth after I finished a sentence.

In time I stopped. I don’t think it’s a big issue.

I do have a tendency towards anxiety but nothing out of the ordinary.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

nwin posted:

Little guy still isn't sleeping well in the bassinet at all. He's 11 days old now and we're thinking he might have acid reflux-we have an appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow and will check with her. He also only sleeps on his side. Anytime we lay him down in the bassinet or crib, he just automatically rolls to one side or the other and stays there.

Another possibility is having days/nights mixed up.

The night before last he was completely happy during the day and sleeping away just fine in his rock n play or when we held him. I put him in the bassinet downstairs and he slept peacefully for about 1.5 hours at one point. At night we tried putting him in the bassinet upstairs and he lasted anywhere from 5-30 minutes before he was gurgling/crying/shifting around a bunch. We ended up taking shifts downstairs in the rock and play and holding him through the night.

Yesterday during the day-totally fine. Did just about the same schedule: he was fine in the rock n play and about an hour in the bassinet, but when I went to class, my wife said she tried to lay him down an hour after feeding and he started spitting up a lot of the breast milk. When I got home at 10pm he was pretty fussy and so I fed him again and held him for about an hour, and then put him in the rock n play and he was fine. I tried the bassinet once (at least 30 minutes after I had fed him, more like an hour I would bet), but he started squirming around a bunch and looking/sounding like he was going to spit up some more.

Now it's the morning and I had him in the rock n play for a bit, but he's currently in the bassinet doing fine. He's made a few noises but nothing bad. He also ate about an hour ago and he's not spitting up at all. I think it's weird because if it was reflux, why isn't he doing it anytime we lay him down in the bassinet?

Both bassinets are the travel kind, so the mattresses are the foldable type and they have a netting underneath them for support. I say that because I've read that we can put books underneath the mattress to provide an angle. We have one in the downstairs and it kinda works, but the upstairs one doesn't work because the book just weighs down the mesh, so it doesn't make any kind of difference. Maybe the netting is stronger in the one downstairs-I dunno.

As for the days/nights thing, not sure what to do if that's the case. I've read to keep him up (so he sleeps during the night due to being tired) or not keep him up (he's so young that he needs all the sleep he can get). I don't think I should be striving to keep a newborn awake, honestly. If I see him in the rock n play too much during the day snoozing away, I'll usually pick him up and hold him for a bit when he is awake after a diaper change, but the little guy seems to be way more interested in sleeping than just staring at me while he poops.

This is all totally normal newborn stuff. He may not learn to like sleeping by himself for months.

In the interim, might I suggest baby wearing? A soft wrap or a ring sling can keep him against a parent and upright and cozy. Walks outside if the weather is at least mediocre can help with the day / night thing too.

Little dude will probably like sleeping in a carrier. Mine did many, many, many hours in one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I might try the carrier suggestion-thanks.

Ok so third night in a row and he’s screaming bloody murder at the same time frame. We’ve changed him and fed him and it continues. He seems gassy as he’s moving his legs and looking like he’s trying to push something out but then crying when I’m guessing nothin happens. He also doesn’t burp well.

Definitely gonna ask the pediatrician about this tomorrow. I’m guessing it’s not allergies because he only does this between 8 pm- midnight for the last three or four nights. No idea what the deal is though.

We’re also contemplating moving to formula instead of breast milk. My wife is still pumping enough but she’s constantly exhausted and is worried it’s her milk that could be hurting him during these times.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I've noticed that my almost six year old son is repeating what he says as a whisper under his breath sometimes. So, if he says 'Dad, can I have a snack?' he might then repeat 'have a snack' quietly under his breath. When I ask him about it, it's almost like he doesn't realize he's talking aloud, he looks puzzled when I ask him why he's whispering and then sort of shrugs it off. Googling tells me it could be a sign of anxiety, but other than normal kid fears like the dark he never seems particularly anxious about stuff. The only thing I can think of that might be causing him some anxiety is that his Mum is currently out of the country due to visa hassles that we're having to deal with. She's been gone for 5 months or so now, and is due back (fingers crossed) within another month. He's adjusted well to the situation and we talk with her every day, but obviously does miss her and asks often when she'll be back. Other than that, he's a happy, healthy kid. Enjoys school, has plenty of friends, his teachers all say that he's a joy to teach.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

My 5yo girl has recently started doing the same thing. She otherwise seems fine and has always been a huge talker so I figured it was just a developmental quirk and will resolve with time. She also had a mild stutter as a toddler which disappeared without any intervention so I'm guessing this is a similar thing.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

nwin posted:

Ok so third night in a row and he’s screaming bloody murder at the same time frame. We’ve changed him and fed him and it continues. He seems gassy as he’s moving his legs and looking like he’s trying to push something out but then crying when I’m guessing nothin happens. He also doesn’t burp well.

Definitely gonna ask the pediatrician about this tomorrow. I’m guessing it’s not allergies because he only does this between 8 pm- midnight for the last three or four nights. No idea what the deal is though.

We’re also contemplating moving to formula instead of breast milk. My wife is still pumping enough but she’s constantly exhausted and is worried it’s her milk that could be hurting him during these times.

That's called the witching hour. It's also a normal newborn thing. Your wife shouldn't feel pressured to breast feed if she doesn't want to, but she shouldn't doubt herself either. It would be unusual for her milk to be hurting him, especially in a way that's wouldn't be exacerbated by formula (like some sort of dairy allergy).

Newborns cry, a lot. It's probably not anything you're doing wrong. Looking up PURPLE crying may make you guys feel better.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

nwin posted:

Dude, my kid turned one last week. I didn’t think my wife and I were going to survive to see the beginning of 2018.

Not to say babies sometimes don’t have problems, but everything you posted so far sounds like regular newborn stuff.

Definitely talk to the doc, they are going to be a big help reassuring you and your new family in these trying times. But from one sleepy goon to another - you are doing great. Before you know it that sweet baby will be moving around and being even more adorable.

Support your wife, she will support you, and you both love that baby like no one else can.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

nwin posted:

I just want to second the carrier thing. I sometimes had to walk around for while with both kids, but it really helped soothe them and get them their rest even if my wife and I had to take shifts to sleep.

Also, while this may not be your situation, both of our kids had dairy and soy sensitivities. My wife had to cut out all cow's milk and soy products until the kids reached about 6 months or so because it would pass to them through the breastmilk and they were having ridiculous discomfort and irritation, up to literal blood in their stool in some instances. According to my mother I was the same but got written off as "colicky" because of how pediatrics operated at the time, and they kept giving me formula mixed with cows' milk and basically ignored all the screaming and strangely-colored poop. Of course, this is a gigantic pain if you don't have access to sheep/goat milk and soy is in pretty much everything. Fortunately the soy thing ended by around the 3 month mark for us.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cailleask posted:

That's called the witching hour. It's also a normal newborn thing. Your wife shouldn't feel pressured to breast feed if she doesn't want to, but she shouldn't doubt herself either. It would be unusual for her milk to be hurting him, especially in a way that's wouldn't be exacerbated by formula (like some sort of dairy allergy).

Newborns cry, a lot. It's probably not anything you're doing wrong. Looking up PURPLE crying may make you guys feel better.

This helps a ton. It just goes against everything I've ever thought as I figured crying = something wrong.

I think the breast milk thing also has to do with the fact that it's just a lot of work. She was the one that wanted to do it and I've told her I support it no matter what. But now that almost 2 weeks have gone by, I can see it's starting to wear on her pumping every 3-4 hours and sometimes that increases to 5-6 hours because it's starting to hurt or she's just plain tired. She's making more than enough milk for our son, but when he's up every three hours and she has to pump in addition to feeding/changing him, that just takes a little more sleep away from her which doesn't help anything.

I'll bring all of this up to her. Hopefully the pediatrician doesn't find anything wrong and can echo the same statements to her.

edit: it turns out we have a carrier that kinda looks like a backpack, but it's only for 8+ pounds. My son is only 6 pounds at the moment, so it will have to wait.

nwin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 8, 2018

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I hear you! It's hard to listen to them scream and not think something is wrong. A choice excerpt from http://www.purplecrying.info/what-is-the-period-of-purple-crying.php:

some doctor posted:

The Period of PURPLE Crying begins at about 2 weeks of age and continues until about 3-4 months of age. There are other common characteristics of this phase, or period, which are better described by the acronym PURPLE. All babies go through this period. It is during this time that some babies can cry a lot and some far less, but they all go through it.

... However, even after a check-up from the doctor which shows the baby is healthy they still go home and cry for hours, night after night. "It was so discouraging," said one dad. "Our baby giggles and seems fine during the day and almost like clockwork, he starts crying around 6 pm. He is growing and healthy, so why does he cry like this?"

Feeding shouldn't be a source of stress. If pumping is easy, then she should do that. If it's stressing her out, then she should do whatever doesn't stress her out as much. There's nothing wrong with formula, and nothing really better about breast milk itself except for the price of it.

I really goddamn hated pumping, so I minimized how often I had to do it. Some people don't mind it as much - more power to them! Luckily nursing was convenient for me, and I could go a long time between pumps while at work. Sounds like your little dude is probably perfectly content with a bottle, so why fight a good thing? Is she intending to try nursing directly again?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cailleask posted:

I hear you! It's hard to listen to them scream and not think something is wrong. A choice excerpt from http://www.purplecrying.info/what-is-the-period-of-purple-crying.php:

Feeding shouldn't be a source of stress. If pumping is easy, then she should do that. If it's stressing her out, then she should do whatever doesn't stress her out as much. There's nothing wrong with formula, and nothing really better about breast milk itself except for the price of it.

I really goddamn hated pumping, so I minimized how often I had to do it. Some people don't mind it as much - more power to them! Luckily nursing was convenient for me, and I could go a long time between pumps while at work. Sounds like your little dude is probably perfectly content with a bottle, so why fight a good thing? Is she intending to try nursing directly again?

She does try nursing throughout the day randomly. We don't have any kind of schedule as we're still figuring everything out. She's on paternity leave so as long as she's getting some rest, she can pretty much do it whenever. Yesterday she nursed 3 separate times which was good-she prefers nursing if possible because she says it hurts less. However, sometimes he doesn't stay latched for more than 5-10 minutes, so it's tough to figure out how much milk he actually got, whereas with the bottle it's easy to say he got at least x mL and you can kinda guess when he's going to be hungry next. I support whatever she wants to do, but I do like having the bottles of breast milk so I can at least help out with feedings throughout the day/night and give her a break.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

nwin posted:

It might be gas. Babies are hot garbage at farting, so arching and screaming helps move the air along and eventually out their rear end in a top hat. I had a wicked fast letdown and oversupply, so the first 4-5 weeks of my son's life involved lots of gas pains. Since you've switched to slower nipples, you'll probably see a small improvement in the gas problems since he won't be gulping to keep up with the flow.

You can try gripe water, gas drops, or probiotics in bottles to help. Tbh I dont think they did gently caress all but they made me feel better when the placebo aligned with improvement.

It gets better, this all gets better! Mine is 9 weeks now and farts nonstop with minimal to no strain.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the comments on the whispering thing everyone. He talks alot, pretty much non-stop when he's not absorbed in a book or a toy or something, and yeah, he does have an active imagination. Sometimes it sorta sounds like he's trying out new words and ways of phrasing things, and then when he whispers it it's like he wants to remember it, or check it was right or something.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

She does try nursing throughout the day randomly. We don't have any kind of schedule as we're still figuring everything out. She's on paternity leave so as long as she's getting some rest, she can pretty much do it whenever. Yesterday she nursed 3 separate times which was good-she prefers nursing if possible because she says it hurts less. However, sometimes he doesn't stay latched for more than 5-10 minutes, so it's tough to figure out how much milk he actually got, whereas with the bottle it's easy to say he got at least x mL and you can kinda guess when he's going to be hungry next. I support whatever she wants to do, but I do like having the bottles of breast milk so I can at least help out with feedings throughout the day/night and give her a break.

I breastfed my baby on demand until she was 3 months, then we tried to make it every 2.5-3 hours, little longer overnight. It meant breastfeeding a lot, specially very early on. It was normal for me to feed 10 times in 24 hours, and on some days it was 17 times. Sometimes a breastfeed was 5 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes (!!) It’s normal. It’s hard, but it’s normal.

Between 5-10 pm was cluster feeding time when it was me on the couch for long stretches breastfeeding on and off, and that went on until about 2 months. It’s hard, but it’s normal. She’d often cry a lot in the evenings, it’s normal. It’s hard.

Lots of walking back and forward with her in a sling or baby carrier, lots of breastfeeding, cosleeping to keep my sanity. Learning to do side lying breastfeeding in bed was a life saver and let me doze off for a little while. I never ever thought I’d cosleep, but now that I’ve had a baby, a lot of those notions went out the window.

Have you read about the fourth trimester? It made sense to me and gave me permission to take it easy on myself. Don’t worry about a routine or sleep associations so much until the baby is older.

Now baby sleeps regularly, in her own cot, and feeds and we have a pretty good routine. The early days are hard, it’s not you, it’s the newborn phase.

You are doing fine, and it’s okay if baby sleeps on you or next to you, it’s okay if breastfeeds are irregular. It doesn’t last forever.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Nwin—what everyone else said. I was you almost six months ago. Hell, I’m still you.

Routine isn’t something baby will likely be able to follow. It’s fine to have a routine for y’all, but it will pretty much get put to the side whenever baby needs to feed or sleep or whatever.

I forgot about the witching hour but as others said it’s a real thing. Baby would be just fine until about 5pm and then it’d fussy time. Not much we’d be able to do about it other than feed him when he wanted. On that note, yeah it’s pretty much on demand even a few months later. What changed for us after a certain point, I don’t remember exactly, was not having to wake him up to feed—we could finally let him sleep if he didn’t wake up to feed and that was a game changer for our sleep as it meant possibly 3-4 hours of sleep instead of an hour at a time.

If she wants to try and breastfeed then it’s a good thing for baby and for her. If not, again, that’s okay too. But the only way her milk could be affecting baby is by what she eats, like spicy food or, like my mom did when nursing me, cabbage and Brussels sprouts or gassy foods. Baby can get overwhelmed by overactive letdown early on when he’s not great at breastfeeding (he will likely become a breastfeeding expert if she chooses to continue to nurse him), causing spit up or even vomit, but we were told it’s normal.

As for gas, baby’s muscles for tooting and pooping aren’t like ours just yet and so he’s gonna have trouble pooping for a bit and passing gas. It’ll make him really uncomfortable probably, he will cry, but that’s normal too. You could try bicycle legs and massaging his tummy lightly, in conjunction with Mylicon or without. Windy the gas passer might work in a pinch but it could get messy and worse could make him rely on that to pass gas and won’t help him learn to pass gas and poop better.

As with anything at his age, you gotta do trial and error because he can’t tell you why he’s crying or uncomfortable. You’ll eventually be a bit better at figuring it out but it’s never 100% surety. It just means you’ll know him and his timeline a bit better.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

life is killing me posted:

What changed for us after a certain point, I don’t remember exactly, was not having to wake him up to feed—we could finally let him sleep if he didn’t wake up to feed and that was a game changer for our sleep as it meant possibly 3-4 hours of sleep instead of an hour at a time.

Our pediatrician gave us the go ahead to stop waking ours up once she got back up to birthweight which was about 2 weeks maybe?

quote:

As for gas, baby’s muscles for tooting and pooping aren’t like ours just yet and so he’s gonna have trouble pooping for a bit and passing gas. It’ll make him really uncomfortable probably, he will cry, but that’s normal too. You could try bicycle legs and massaging his tummy lightly, in conjunction with Mylicon or without. Windy the gas passer might work in a pinch but it could get messy and worse could make him rely on that to pass gas and won’t help him learn to pass gas and poop better.

For gas it helps when I hold my daughter vertically. For whatever reason that seems to help her get stuff out better than when she's on her back (burps and farts and poops actually).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

cailleask posted:

I cannot stress enough how much it can help to check out the Period of Purple Crying information. We had the leaflet on our fridge for ages. Agreed that sometimes babies cry and you're still a good parent.

nwin posted:

This helps a ton. It just goes against everything I've ever thought as I figured crying = something wrong.

Yeah it is counter-intuitive in some ways.

I forgot about the witching hour but as others said it’s a real thing.

I'd also forgotten about the witching hour but yep, 6-7 in our case was crazy time.

Nwin—what everyone else said. I was you almost six months ago. Hell, I’m still you.

To carry on this point, Nwin, it might help to find a few parents groups in your area (community centres and such). We all go to them (yes, Dads too), and it is pretty good to get to know some people who were previously strangers who are new parents with similar experiences.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Three small children crying at once? Just a normal Thursday night now I guess!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I read in The Happiest Baby on the Block that when babies cry it’s not always something wrong—it’s just communication.

The way the book explained it was that when they are crying because they are hungry, it’s more like when you walk into the kitchen and think aloud, “Boy, I sure am hungry!” And so on and so on. They don’t have moderation so even if they are really just inside their own heads with a feeling they can’t even think about beginning to describe, they cry at full volume. It could be something tiny.

Be happy that babies cry, because if they didn’t half of us wouldn’t know what the gently caress

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright-went to the pediatrician yesterday and she assured us, much like everyone her has, that we're doing fine.

She's not worried about reflux or allergies at this point, but we found out he had lost an ounce of weight since the last weigh-in. After going over how much we had been feeding him each time (ranging 30 mL to 75 mL every 3 hours), she said we should push for 90 mL every 2.5 hours, which would give him around 15-16 ounces per day.

She recommended not jumping right to 90 the first day, so yesterday we were pretty successful giving him 75-80 each time, with a few outliers of only 60-65 mL every 2.5 hours. Interestingly, he did not have any fits last night.

So, either yesterday was a freak moment of happiness, or maybe the guy has just been pissed off because he's getting hungrier throughout the day? Not sure, but we'll continue to up the amount of food intake to get in-line with 90 mL and hope he starts to put some weight on for his appointment next week.

The only drawback so far is my wife is having a hard time keeping up with the amount of milk he needs. She's pumping every 2-3 hours but is only yielding about 65 mL. That amount just isn't sustainable if he's going to be doing 90 every 2.5 hours. The doctor said her yield should increase with increased pumping, and I could tell she's stressing about it, so I made sure she got some extra sleep and is keeping up with the fluids and eating correctly, so hopefully that helps. We are cutting her breast milk with a bit of formula in the meantime just to stretch it out, which the doctor suggested to us.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Seriously the first few months of baby raising is chaos. Do what you gotta do to survive. I don't know your situation, but if you need formula, know that some companies provide a new parent kit that has several samples of their formulas. It's great when you are trying to figure out what works for you guys.
Here's one: https://www.enfamil.com/enrollment

Also it was SHOCKING how much more water my wife drank when she was breastfeeding. So get a large water bottle!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

Alright-went to the pediatrician yesterday and she assured us, much like everyone her has, that we're doing fine.

She's not worried about reflux or allergies at this point, but we found out he had lost an ounce of weight since the last weigh-in. After going over how much we had been feeding him each time (ranging 30 mL to 75 mL every 3 hours), she said we should push for 90 mL every 2.5 hours, which would give him around 15-16 ounces per day.

She recommended not jumping right to 90 the first day, so yesterday we were pretty successful giving him 75-80 each time, with a few outliers of only 60-65 mL every 2.5 hours. Interestingly, he did not have any fits last night.

So, either yesterday was a freak moment of happiness, or maybe the guy has just been pissed off because he's getting hungrier throughout the day? Not sure, but we'll continue to up the amount of food intake to get in-line with 90 mL and hope he starts to put some weight on for his appointment next week.

The only drawback so far is my wife is having a hard time keeping up with the amount of milk he needs. She's pumping every 2-3 hours but is only yielding about 65 mL. That amount just isn't sustainable if he's going to be doing 90 every 2.5 hours. The doctor said her yield should increase with increased pumping, and I could tell she's stressing about it, so I made sure she got some extra sleep and is keeping up with the fluids and eating correctly, so hopefully that helps. We are cutting her breast milk with a bit of formula in the meantime just to stretch it out, which the doctor suggested to us.

Is there a reason that your wife is pumping instead of nursing directly? I have real trouble getting much from a pump but can breastfeed and have a full, satisfied baby.

Whatever works to get you through, just thinking I missed something earlier.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

nwin posted:

We went to a breastfeeding doc and they told us the same thing. Regular pumping at this stage will increase or at least maintain supply.

If it's an option, see if you can see a breastfeeding consultant. In BC, our Local Health Authority had one who traveled around Community Centres.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
As a mom who breastfed one kid until 14 months, one kid for 3 months until I realized she wasn't thriving and supplemented for a month before going full formula, then I formula-fed 2 foster babies - there has been no difference in how they've turned out. There is no harm in switching to formula if you guys are stressing so much about pumping and stuff. I just want to reassure you, it is not failure if you decide to move to formula.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

While it is a bit stressful, my wife is mainly trying to use breast milk for the health benefits and to save money. She’s pretty determined, even though I’ve told her I support whatever she wants and we can spend money on formula if we need to.

We can definitely afford it, but shits still expensive and if we don’t have to buy it, then all the better.

I think we’ll just have to see how the next week or so plays out.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

nwin posted:

While it is a bit stressful, my wife is mainly trying to use breast milk for the health benefits and to save money. She’s pretty determined, even though I’ve told her I support whatever she wants and we can spend money on formula if we need to.

We can definitely afford it, but shits still expensive and if we don’t have to buy it, then all the better.

I think we’ll just have to see how the next week or so plays out.

It also doesn't have to be binary. You can primarily do breast milk and then supplement with formula here and there if need be. Also, seconding the hydration thing; makes a huge difference in production.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also once controlling for SES and other factors the health benefits to baby are no different between formula and breast milk.

More important are healthy, happy parents.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Douche4Sale posted:

It also doesn't have to be binary. You can primarily do breast milk and then supplement with formula here and there if need be.

We are doing exactly that too, and we have a healthy 10 month old.

If you're wondering what it took to actually get us to do it? At our 2wk checkup, our doctor weighed her showed the growth chart, then literally opened a sample bottle of Enfantamil, put a single use nipple on it and all but put it directly into her mouth. When our little one didn't turn to sand before our eyes, we decided a dual approach was appropriate.

The Doc would have you read Fed Is Best in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

My 1 mo old has gained 1.1 lbs in the 2 weeks between Peds visit. This was nearly exclusively formula feeding (as breast milk not an option for us anymore). Before that we did a mix of breast milk and formula with no issues.

Right now we are using Emfamil (because that's what we tried in the hospital and we had samples) but want to switch to Costco Kirkland since it's half as expensive and it looks the same. Has anyone used Kirkland and like it?

I guess you can look at it this way. Formula feeding was all the rage for the Boomer generation and they survived. My own parents were exclusively formula fed and they turned out plenty fine. Side effects may include voting Republican later in life though.