Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I want to say gently caress you, because the rhyme scheme of that made me read it in Matt Lucas' Dennis Waterman voice from Little Britain.

I've heard Waterman was offered the role of the Doctor in the late 80s after Minder went on its four-year break, but he declined because he wouldn't have been allowed to write the feem toon or sing the feem toon.

Not that it would ever top his greatest musical achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Just call me WickDiv, because once again, I return.

So, I'm really liking Whitaker so far. Sort of a Tennent-ish vibe coming off her, which isn't terribly surprising a choice. When you're already the experiment half the internet hates, draw on your predecessor with the mass appeal and all. I don't really have much to say about Yaz, but I do rather like Graham and Ryan. An old fella on the Tardis who isn't its owner feels new, and giving him and Ryan a family connection I thought was a good way of including the mandatory NuWho family drama without requiring pit stops in modern day Britain every other episode, and helps lessen the writerly burden of three companions.

As for the actual episodes... eh. Aside from "Rosa" most of them have ranged from "decent and functional" to "watchable but scattershot", which is a problem halfway through the series. We're getting a bunch of episodes from writers besides Chibnall , so I'm interested in seeing how that pans out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

J-Ru, you’ve got to organise these out into stories or something. The pages take ages to load now, which is frustrating when you just want that one gif of 11 doing the heel turn from DotD.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The best TARDIS interior will always be the one from the TV Movie (if they increased the lighting maaaaaaybe 10-15% so it’s a notch above “mid-90s Fox atmospheric lighting”)

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Twelve had the best Tardis interior.

Also best Doctor outfit, sonic, and hair. And guitar.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one complaint I have now about the current console room is that it's very dark and that makes it feel a little claustrophobic (though it may be one of those cases where it's a small set and the underlighting is to hide that.) If it were a little brighter and a little more open it'd be perfect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't have a very good sense of the new control room because the show has spent practically no time at all in it. There's been what, three scenes total in the Tardis this season? I'm probably forgetting some.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/rgbhex/status/1060369928610594817?s=19
:3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

J-Ru, you’ve got to organise these out into stories or something. The pages take ages to load now, which is frustrating when you just want that one gif of 11 doing the heel turn from DotD.

I've organized them into episodes per season on my HD, but Imgurs' system isn't the best and I already have way too many folders on my account there. As far as I know you can't embed folders into folders, somebody please let me know if I'm wrong!

This rules :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

howe_sam posted:

I don't have a very good sense of the new control room because the show has spent practically no time at all in it. There's been what, three scenes total in the Tardis this season? I'm probably forgetting some.

Yeah, someone upthread mentioned a comparative lack of "bookend"scenes in the TARDIS so far this season. That's something I've always wanted to see from the show. Does Team TARDIS always bounce straight from crisis to crisis? Or do they sometimes take a day off and chill in the cool space and time box?

Orv
May 4, 2011

jivjov posted:

Yeah, someone upthread mentioned a comparative lack of "bookend"scenes in the TARDIS so far this season. That's something I've always wanted to see from the show. Does Team TARDIS always bounce straight from crisis to crisis? Or do they sometimes take a day off and chill in the cool space and time box?

There's the implication with pretty much every monster a week show, fantasy, sci-fi or whatever, that you're only seeing the really bad or really good days and I think for whatever reason this season they've just decided to cut the cruft. Regardless of whether or not most people like the cruft, which I think they probably do.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I liked the Tsuranga Conundrum for the most part, except for the pregnant guy. That felt a bit unimportant.

Also, S37E07 may be have the dumbest episode title in Doctor Who history.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm up to Matt Smith in my rewatch and I think the space whale episode is underrated, but that Victory of the Daleks is basically trash until the Doctor teleports to the Dalek ship, at which point there are some good, Baker-esque jokes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Even after the jokes start, it's a real slog. I remember it being a low point elevated by it's jokes, but it's like 5 percent good jokes and 95 percent Trix Flavour Daleks and Rascally Old Churchill.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I'm up to Matt Smith in my rewatch and I think the space whale episode is underrated, but that Victory of the Daleks is basically trash until the Doctor teleports to the Dalek ship, at which point there are some good, Baker-esque jokes.

In some ways I like The Beast Below better than I do The Eleventh Hour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Beast Below is a great follow-up, but I still think The Eleventh Hour is an utterly fantastic intro/scene setter not just for the new Doctor, but the entire fairy-tale aspect of season 5.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's been a while, but I remember "Beast Below" bugging me in that it never connected the creepy Moffat-isms (like the spinny head guy) with the central plot of Bloody Queen and the Space Whale. (Which would be a great name for a terrible prog band.)

Now, after five-odd seasons of that, I probably wouldn't even notice .

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The Beast Below is a personal favourite. There's something special about Matt Smith's performance in it that I can't quite put my finger on. There are a few hokey elements to the plot and writing - as always - but it's just wonderful otherwise

Edit - thinking about it, it's that Smith isn't as cartoony as later episodes. He plays the doctor as being awkward but less in a 'limbs flying everywhere' way and more in a 'struggles to keep up with his own head' way. It's also his most Troughton-like performance, which is always a huge plus in my book.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 9, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a great episode that has many of Smith's Doctor's best traits in play - kid at heart, good with kids thereby, curious of but not magically knowledgeable about the situation which allows him to be wrong, something Smith in particular is good at, a good guest cast from the Queen to the monks to the girl, some righteous anger from the Doc, something I think only Capaldi beats out Smith for, a good ending with a nice bit of morality that doesn't overstay its knowing wink and nudge. It's everything Dinosaurs On A Spaceship tries and fails to be.

And 'struggles to keep up with his own head' is a great way to put it, though he does get that back in some fun episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Orv posted:

And 'struggles to keep up with his own head' is a great way to put it, though he does get that back in some fun episodes.

This was one of my favorite bits of early 11 - especially in The Eleventh Hour - where there were points where he had to stop because he'd figured everything out so fast that he'd gotten ahead of his own brain and had to wait for a moment to play catchup :allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

This was one of my favorite bits of early 11 - especially in The Eleventh Hour - where there were points where he had to stop because he'd figured everything out so fast that he'd gotten ahead of his own brain and had to wait for a moment to play catchup :allears:

Yeah, that was also great. It seemed like it was going to be a running thing after the first two episodes, but it never really came up after that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jodie looks like Chadwick Boseman did after having to do the Wakanda Forever salute for 47,000th time.

https://twitter.com/blogtorwho/status/1060933174530850817

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watching the Doctor smack into a tree is a magical thing

Then again into a pole during The Doctor, the Widow, and Flying a Plane Through the Time Vortex After Dealing with Tree People

Also one of the few times we get a Police Box fakeout

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Jodie looks like Chadwick Boseman did after having to do the Wakanda Forever salute for 47,000th time.

"We did twenty takes and that was the best one."

However, I like the look of the TARDIS set in that shot. That's good lighting for it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rani from The Sarah Jane Adventures was on this week's Legends of Tomorrow

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I genuinely believe The Beast Below is one of Smith’s top 3 episodes, and it’s crazy that it was only his second episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDix_GCbWf0

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1060951855369461765
Such a bright woman

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely believe The Beast Below is one of Smith’s top 3 episodes, and it’s crazy that it was only his second episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDix_GCbWf0

It really reminds me that the episodes this series have been pretty sub par. I really hope we get some good ones before the season is over.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It feels like they're still kinda trying to find their groove as a creative team. Like they're taking a very light touch because they don't want to tank it completely and have the first season with a female Doctor be the one that everyone hates.

Like they took a risk in doing a story about Rosa Parks, obviously, but that's a different kind of risktaking.

It's been enjoyable but so far nothing *great*.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's been okay but boring. I really did not like the last episode, though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've gotten a very 5 vibe from this whole season, in that I like the cast a lot but the stories haven't been very interesting. Rosa has probably been the best so far, but all the others just kind of run together in a generic way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I am scared that she's going to burn out from having to be bright and shiny in every press junket. Having to prove herself because she's a WOMAN is going to be exhausting for her.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've gotten a very 5 vibe from this whole season, in that I like the cast a lot but the stories haven't been very interesting. Rosa has probably been the best so far, but all the others just kind of run together in a generic way.

Make her fight a giant snake!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

I am scared that she's going to burn out from having to be bright and shiny in every press junket. Having to prove herself because she's a WOMAN is going to be exhausting for her.

There's a lot of irony in saying this in response to a picture where she looks vaguely tired but still more energetic and beautiful than 99% of people dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Its not just that picture, I've been worried about how long she can sustain it when 75% or reporting about the show is pointing out that she's a woman and how it's ruining the legacy of the series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I really liked the last ep.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Its not just that picture, I've been worried about how long she can sustain it when 75% or reporting about the show is pointing out that she's a woman and how it's ruining the legacy of the series.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. There's a hugely obnoxious vocal minority talking about how she ruined the series and a bunch of the usual rags are doing the "Will viewers adapt to these changes?" thing they do about every new season, but most of the coverage of her has agreed with Colin Baker's article that it was change, and not a moment too soon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bicyclops posted:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. There's a hugely obnoxious vocal minority talking about how she ruined the series and a bunch of the usual rags are doing the "Will viewers adapt to these changes?" thing they do about every new season, but most of the coverage of her has agreed with Colin Baker's article that it was change, and not a moment too soon.

Why is Colin Baker the best human.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

Maxwell Lord posted:

It feels like they're still kinda trying to find their groove as a creative team. Like they're taking a very light touch because they don't want to tank it completely and have the first season with a female Doctor be the one that everyone hates.

I think you're probably right. It does not feel like a confident show, everything happening on-screen is carefully explained or clarified (usually by Yaz) and the writers seem to keep second guessing themselves which makes the show feel inconsistent (comic relief pregnant man turns into serious delivery room scene with emotional counselling) or anticlimactic (TARDIS shown right at the beginning of Ghost Monument, showdown with big spider never happens).

It makes me sad only one episode this season is written by a woman without Chibnall as co-writer. Thirteen's character doesn't seem to have much depth compared to her predecessors - I was super excited about finally having a female sci fi lead with a sense of humour, but now I'm somewhat disappointed to find that this is all she's really got. Where are the other facets? It's valuable for kids to see a funny, smart, strong, capable, confident woman but it's hard to sympathise with a character who is all positives.

dsub fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

sunnyboy posted:

Bingo.

As to the comment on the Sensorite episode from Season 1 (Hartnell), um... yea. You are correct. Only 6 episodes. Strange how I was sure there were 10. Certainly the longest 6 ever. I must have checked out at #4 then, as I know I missed at least one.

I also agree with the recent comments that the whole "stars must align or this historical event will NEVER happen" is just nonsense.

Heh, that reminds me. Back in the early 70s when they showed Dr. Who on WTTW Ch 11 Chicago, they showed them serialized, one a day, weekdays. And it never failed, Id either miss the first ep and not know what the heck was going on, or, more commonly, I'd miss that last ep, and never know the ending until decades later. It was the 3rd doctor, IIRC.