Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

They have money and nothing better to do than be persuaded to be more classist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zeeman posted:

Man, these are all so terrible, but I really want to call attention to the dream team of Nigel Farage and Mark Steyn dominating their debate on April 1, 2016, because holy poo poo, what is wrong with the audience of these debates

Tony Blair and Chris Hitchens doesn't merit a mention?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeeman posted:

Man, these are all so terrible, but I really want to call attention to the dream team of Nigel Farage and Mark Steyn dominating their debate on April 1, 2016, because holy poo poo, what is wrong with the audience of these debates

They're the kind of people that would willingly attend a debate featuring the dream team of Nigel Farage and Mark Steyn.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

oohhh no, I said steamed pro rep, that's what I call proportional representation

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

vyelkin posted:

oohhh no, I said steamed pro rep, that's what I call proportional representation

Thread title please

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Government should seize Bombardier assets until the value of the bailout is recouped

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Government should seize my god damned balls

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Government should seize my god damned balls

They are taking mine very soon and I could not be happier.

Turns out OHIP does a pretty okay job of making sure you have the support you need for major surgery even if it’s in another province.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arivia posted:

They are taking mine very soon and I could not be happier.

Turns out OHIP does a pretty okay job of making sure you have the support you need for major surgery even if it’s in another province.

OHIP is far from perfect but its also one of the better provincial healthcare systems Ive had to deal with. Quebec's was the most stress inducing, though Ive been told BCs got worse under the last Liberal government.

Really not looking forward to the inevitable loving the healthcare system is going to get from the Ford government over the next few years. :smith:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyelkin posted:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Can Doug Ford speak French?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

jet sanchEz posted:

Probably not,. If not, he probably won't learn. Used to be party leadership candidates would learn out of courtesy and respect, but given that :decorum: has been long flung out the window, his supporters will either not care at best, or actively support this at worst.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

jet sanchEz posted:

He does not speak French; he claimed he was going to learn it in time for the debates but guess what? He was full of poo poo.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

jet sanchEz posted:

Only in the sense of "pardon my french"

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
So not speaking French basically means he will never be pm, no?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

jet sanchEz posted:

Normally his being a complete and utter idiot would be disqualifying but here we are.

e: One of John Tory's first moves since being re-elected is to setup a new Toronto transit czar with a $2 million budget in order to facilitate uhhh doing the things that the TTC and Metrolinx already have plenty of staff assigned to do but not enough actual funding. Okay then!

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 9, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jet sanchEz posted:

If a party finds one weird trick to get elected without taking a lot of seats in Quebec, french suddenly won't be the federal career killer it's traditionally been. Or as culture and attitudes change, voters in Quebec might end up giving less and less of a poo poo about what languages a potential PM speaks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

One of John Tory's first moves since being re-elected is to setup a new Toronto transit czar with a $2 million budget in order to facilitate uhhh doing the things that the TTC and Metrolinx already have plenty of staff assigned to do but not enough actual funding. Okay then!

It's not even that they're underfunded, they're basically already doing what they need to do and there's no clear rationale behind this position at all. For example, it appears to create a distinction between city hall and the TTC, but there isn't and should be one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

If a party finds one weird trick to get elected without taking a lot of seats in Quebec, french suddenly won't be the federal career killer it's traditionally been. Or as culture and attitudes change, voters in Quebec might end up giving less and less of a poo poo about what languages a potential PM speaks.

Harper won a 12-seat majority in 2011 with only 5 seats in Quebec, so that one weird trick has already been tried and succeeded when Harper figured out how to combine Western alienation, suburban FYGM, and immigrant conservatism, which is not coincidentally also exactly the kind of electoral coalition Ford could probably win with.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
John Horgan and pals are at the HEU convention today to get their asses kissed for repealing Bill 29. He said the lit thing again, and attempted to floss. I did not get a picture of that, but in the spirit of this week’s discussion, here is an unsolicited Dix pic (co-starring everyone’s favourite MLA)

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 9, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I just had the mental image of a federal party leader's debate where they hit the French portion and Dougie just stands there looking like the dumb greasy gently caress he is.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can easily imagine Ford winning against JT and Jagmeet, there's no way half of Quebec's going to vote for a brown person wearing a turban anyways so that's jagmeet right out, and all JT has to do is say something about how people should be allowed to wear burqas at the right time and that's everyone mad at him as well. If the whole province is split and every other province goes totally blue except BC then it'd be easy enough for Ford to win.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MikeSevigny posted:

John Horgan and pals are at the HEU convention today to get their asses kissed for repealing Bill 29. He said the lit thing again, and attempted to floss. I did not get a picture of that, but in the spirit of this week’s discussion, here is an unsolicited Dix pic (co-starring everyone’s favourite MLA)

image is broke pls fix

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jesus christ that debate was hard to watch, does Wilkinson just talk continuously for the whole hour? I'm sure his base eats that poo poo up too. Oh to have a moderation team that actually intervened to drive an actual conversation.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Arguably the best thing about making this a BC Liberal vs world vote is that the Liberals are not doing very well right now in the polls.

The provincial NDP certainly has their opponents (who want clean majority power) too, but I'm not sure the grassroots are part of it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Jesus christ that debate was hard to watch, does Wilkinson just talk continuously for the whole hour? I'm sure his base eats that poo poo up too. Oh to have a moderation team that actually intervened to drive an actual conversation.

It's thirty minutes and he does. I thought he was effective in that he's asking disingenuous and impossible to answer questions over and over and over. It's the exact same stuff I've heard The Olds going on about. It's just too confusing. We can't trust the government to fill in the blanks of what happens next, etc etc.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

THC posted:

image is broke pls fix

I apologize for withholding

TW for cultural imperial btw, in case he’s still reading somewhere

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PittTheElder posted:

wilkinson has no base. not even liberals like him

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

James Baud posted:

Arguably the best thing about making this a BC Liberal vs world vote is that the Liberals are not doing very well right now in the polls.

The provincial NDP certainly has their opponents (who want clean majority power) too, but I'm not sure the grassroots are part of it.

problem with that is the liberals will team up with the conservatives in a heartbeat if it looks like the ndp will win anything

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Harper won a 12-seat majority in 2011 with only 5 seats in Quebec, so that one weird trick has already been tried and succeeded when Harper figured out how to combine Western alienation, suburban FYGM, and immigrant conservatism, which is not coincidentally also exactly the kind of electoral coalition Ford could probably win with.

not perfectly, since in the end he was brought down by jumping the gun on islamophobia(though it totally would've worked given a few more years)

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

James Baud posted:

I am so glad the provincial NDP don't view themselves like the federal Liberals view themselves and think that they've got a permanent handle on running things from now on. If NDP and Green supporters vote along party positions they'll easily have it in the bag.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yinlock posted:

problem with that is the liberals will team up with the conservatives in a heartbeat if it looks like the ndp will win anything
They already did. The BC Liberals are a coalition of federal Liberals and Conservatives. There does exist a BC Conservative party but they are irrelevant (they would have a couple seats under PR though lol)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/soken-water-tower-removed-1.4899029

They should have just adopted SKODEN as the official town motto of Sudbury. It beats "Aedificemus".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/soken-water-tower-removed-1.4899029 posted:

"I want to light it up with LED lights and make it change colours not unlike the CN tower in Toronto," he said.

Oh, that's just precious!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

not perfectly, since in the end he was brought down by jumping the gun on islamophobia(though it totally would've worked given a few more years)

he lost the suburban FYGM vote to Trudeau in 2015 but that doesn't mean they'll stay Liberal forever

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
look the nazis are flocking https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/adam-strashok-bernier-white-supremacist-1.4899778

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The soft jingoism is rolling out in volumes of emails to the public service today. Here's some choice quotes:

DM Office / Bureau SM posted:

Dear colleagues,

On November 11th, we take the time to reflect and pay tribute to our veterans past and present. It is an opportunity to show our heartfelt gratitude for those who sacrificed so much for us all.

This year is especially significant, as it marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. In the last 100 days of the war, Canadians spearheaded the offensive campaign that ultimately ended the war, proving the mettle of our young country to the world
---snip---

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

John McRae, 1915

---snip---

We encourage you to take time in your own way to honour our brave men and women who served Canada, whether by attending a ceremony, visiting with a veteran in your life, wearing a poppy, or taking part in a moment of silence. For more ideas on how to pay tribute, visit Veterans Affairs Canada’s website.

Lest we forget.

TheCommissioner posted:

One hundred years ago on Sunday, soldiers all across Europe laid down their weapons and celebrated the end of the Great War. To commemorate this moment, every year on November 11 Canadians from across the country take time to pause and remember the brave men and women who have served and continue to serve our country during times of war, peace and conflict.
On Remembrance Day, we not only honour those Canadians who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, but also the millions who returned to us as heroes.
----snip----
I encourage all of you to participate in the various Remembrance Day ceremonies across the country to show that we remember the sacrifices of so many, and where we come from. Uniformed employees are also encouraged to wear their uniform (#1) Winter attire.
Please contact your local Royal Canadian Legion Branch for information on ceremonies occurring in your communities.
I thank you for your service and I am sure you will all remember our fallen in your own way.
We will remember them.
:byodame: ARE TROOPS! Thankyouforyourservice.

Not a whisper of the tragically wasteful nature of war, nor the horrific cost to humanity in general. Pretty sure wearing my white poppy in uniform would invite a shitstorm of "disciplinary" actions. And they misspelled John McCrae.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

everyone should call it "Bernier's People's Party" not "the People's Party" because it really is entirely about Bernier and his people

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

This year is especially significant, as it marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. In the last 100 days of the war, Canadians spearheaded the offensive campaign that ultimately ended the war, proving the mettle of our young country to the world

Of course this is what they’d choose to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

B33rChiller posted:

The soft jingoism is rolling out in volumes of emails to the public service today. Here's some choice quotes:

:byodame: ARE TROOPS! Thankyouforyourservice.

Not a whisper of the tragically wasteful nature of war, nor the horrific cost to humanity in general. Pretty sure wearing my white poppy in uniform would invite a shitstorm of "disciplinary" actions. And they misspelled John McCrae.

Yeah I used to wear a poppy on remembrance day and while I didn't exactly make a conscious choice to stop wearing one the overwhelmingly pro-war way Remembrance Day is done just got too grating.

Also as someone recently pointed out there's actually something kind of surreal and disgusting about the idea that they reached an agreement in principle to stop fighting and then set it for the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month rather than just ordering an immediate cease fire. Really sucks for whatever poor bastards almost made it out alive and then got blown to bits at 10 past the hours because a bunch of gout and syphilis riddled in-bred aristocrats thought the poetic symmetry of doming something at 11/11/11 was just too beautiful to pass up.

You might be reading this and thinking "surely they just fired a few token rounds after reaching a cease fire, surely they didn't actually continue to send men into combat after they knew the war was over". But you'd be wrong gentle reader:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edwin_Ellison
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustin_Tr%C3%A9buchon

So yeah, even the whole 11/11/11 thing is kinda sick when you think about it. Yeah you can talk about how communications weren't as good back then and some kind of coordinated moment of disengagemetn was probably necessary but I'm pretty sure they could have at bare minimum ended the fighting at like 7AM that morning or something instead of choosing the prettiest date down to the minute to end this irrational slaughter.