Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rirse posted:

What even happening in Infinity War? It somehow never got a Wikipedia entry yet.

Gamora went bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rirse posted:

What even happening in Infinity War? It somehow never got a Wikipedia entry yet.

It's kinda convoluted.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TwoPair posted:

I mean I'm sure they probably will move her to 616 anyway now that she's got a supporting role in a movie and a cartoon, but I just think there's no way to force that move that won't suck. But of course, an idea sucking has never stopped Marvel before!

She's got dolls and costumes in big box stores alongside Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel, too.

It wouldn't be too hard to move her into the main MU with her dad under assumed names if Marvel doesn't want to go through the bother of retconning anyone's backstory drastically. They could say she and her dad fell through some dimensional portal years before, so they've rebuilt a life there to explain her bandmates other than MJ.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rirse posted:

Gamora went crazy, killed Thanos, stole the infinity stones the. Proceeded to fold the universe in half because reasons. Loki somehow is the one trying to unfuck things up so he purposely put certain people in certain situation so that when the folding happened they’d end up as good candidates to wrestle the stones back. So they do and Loki does the Loki thing where he then takes the stones and has now hosed off somewhere else to do something else because reasons.

Also there’s poo poo happening within the Soul Stone but it doesn’t matter much like this whole event doesn’t matter because nothing matters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gamora went crazy, killed Thanos, stole the infinity stones the. Proceeded to fold the universe in half because reasons. Loki somehow is the one trying to unfuck things up so he purposely put certain people in certain situation so that when the folding happened they’d end up as good candidates to wrestle the stones back. So they do and Loki does the Loki thing where he then takes the stones and has now hosed off somewhere else to do something else because reasons.

Also there’s poo poo happening within the Soul Stone but it doesn’t matter much like this whole event doesn’t matter because nothing matters.

That's kinda cool as someone who hasn't been a fan of what Jason Aaron has done with Loki and loved the Gillen/McKelvie and then Ewing stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Geddon is okay but not having Peter in it is silly. Especially when characters are pointing out how he's the one who has always beaten the Inheretors.
Honestly, making Peter the most important out of all the Spider-Mans kind of annoyed me. I know he's the one we followed, but there was literally nothing stopping him from as soon as they grabbed him and explaining the situation going, 'Oh, Morlun? Super vulnerable to radiation. Makes him weak as a kitten.' But no, it took Silk stumbling rear end-backwards into a post-nuked world plus an autopsy in 2099 - two seperate instances - to figure out something Peter knew all along!

Have they forgotten that information/developed an immunity this time around Like, I know it took a stupid amount of time for them to figure it out last time because Slott had written it with Otto as the main character and didn't bother to adjust the story when they switched it over to Peter reasons, but they figured that out by the end. So what's stopping them from grabbing someone or someones with radiation powers (like, for example, Firestar) and basically completely neutering them as a threat?

Ugh, honestly I feel like Spider-Verse shoved the entire Spider-Line into being 'the one with multiverse stuff', between Web Warriors and Spider-Gwen popping over for what seemed to be every other issue.

Speaking of Gwen, I wonder if her 'Ghost Spider' identity will involve channelling the powers of dead Spidered Mans? There's certain a mountain of corpses she could draw from, there.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
All I know is that my three year-old daughter is obsessed with Spider-Gwen to the point that she's telling people that don't care her new name is Ghost Spider, so that character better be sticking around.

She takes right after her father, going on and on about comics to people who don't care at all.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rirse posted:

Post-Secret Wars, the way that the Infinity Stones work has changed. Among other things, a bizarre corruptive influence has taken root within the realm inside the Soul Gem; it used to be a weirdly tranquil internal landscape in there, but now there's something preying on the souls inside.

Since the start of Gerry Duggan's run on Guardians of the Galaxy, Gamora has been trying to figure out what's wrong with her. Eventually, she figured out that when she escaped the realm inside the Soul Stone back in Infinity Gauntlet, she thinks she left an important part of herself behind, and has been doing her best to figure out how to get the Soul Stone back and fix the problem. However, the stresses of fighting over the Stones has fractured the Guardians. Eventually, Gamora seizes control of the Power Stone, houses it in a sword's hilt, and uses it to gank Thanos.

The other people who hold Stones all meet on Earth to try to create a new Infinity Watch; this is somewhat complicated by the fact that the Mind Stone ended up with Turk Barrett, former street hustler/informant turned telepathic gang leader, and he showed up to the meeting with a bunch of hired supervillains in tow. Gamora shows up at that meeting, disrupts it, and manages to get all the Stones at once; this allows her to crack the Soul Stone open and reunite with the lost part of herself.

However, Loki shows up and fast-talks her. There's a place in the universe called the Quarry of Creation, where the walls between realities are thin, and for some reason, not even Gamora with her fistful of Stones is enough to figure out what's going on below it. Loki gets Gamora curious about what might be happening there, and to keep everyone out of her hair while she investigates, she uses the power of the Stones to cram everyone who's on her case into a copied, warped universe contained within the Soul Stone. However, that also opens them up to being pursued by the creature within the Soul Stone, an entity called Devondra, and it's anyone's guess whether or not that was deliberate on Gamora's part; she's been none-too-secretly nuts since she killed Thanos.

This, in turn, is part of Loki's plan. Not only did Gamora inadvertently create another set of Infinity Stones when she copied the universe, but some of the copies she made were influenced by what she saw in Loki's mind as she was doing it. All the people he wanted to use were within easy reach: Emma Frost, Ms. Marvel, Kang, Bruce Banner, and Scott Lang, each of whom is well-suited to wield a particular Infinity Stone. He divvies the realm's new Stones up between them and, as they attack Gamora, takes the opportunity to steal both sets.

That lets him crack into whatever's below the Quarry of Creation, which puts him face to face with a bunch of heretofore-unseen Celestials.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So Emma is Mind I assume, Hulk Power, Kang Time.

Loki himself Reality?

I don't see how Scott and Kamala fit in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

So Emma is Mind I assume, Hulk Power, Kang Time.

Loki himself Reality?

I don't see how Scott and Kamala fit in.

The (current) stones actually don’t work that way. They keep themselves in balance by needing to be good at one of the others to control one. So it’s Power -> Space -> Time -> Reality - > Soul -> Mind -> Power (you need to have a mastery of space to control the time stone, for example). So Emma got Power, Hulk gets Space, Scott gets Time, Kang gets Reality, Loki gets Soul, and Kamala gets Mind.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 9, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wait, Turk? As in THE Turk? That's almost cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

More importantly, Drax got a saxamaphone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

More importantly, Drax got a saxamaphone.

To add to this, he stops a galactic conflict over the power stone by channeling its power through his sax and he plays so hard he wins.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Wanderer posted:

That lets him crack into whatever's below the Quarry of Creation, which puts him face to face with a bunch of heretofore-unseen Celestials.
I am so glad I'm not reading this. I could not possibly give less of a poo poo about the Grand Cosmic Unknowable stuff in the MU.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To add to this, he stops a galactic conflict over the power stone by channeling its power through his sax and he plays so hard he wins.
I'd like to strike my previous statement from the record.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I know you guys said the event is not great but Kamala Has a Stone and is this curiosity reason enough to pick it up?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Artelier posted:

I know you guys said the event is not great but Kamala Has a Stone and is this curiosity reason enough to pick it up?

She doesn’t really do much with it and Loki steals it almost immediately anyways.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In general Infinity Wars is almost like a reverse Fear Itself (and a couple of other small-in-scope-stories-that-turned-into-Events) in terms of storytelling, it's very much a continuation of what Duggan was doing in Guardians of the Galaxy with a sprinkling of Al Ewing concepts that turned into a Big Event except... it isn't even that? It's a monthly mini-series with a handful of short mini-series thrown in. It was being positioned as a much bigger deal, but at some point during the changeover from Alonso to Yoshida, Plans Changed in a major way.

The biggest illustration of this is that the original promotional material/set-up (going back to Marvel Legacy) had two of the New Infinity Watch members being Wolverine and Carol Danvers. They were front and center for all of the announcements, and Marvel Legacy one-shot has as one of its big cliffhangers Wolverine holding an Infinity Stone. There are a couple of early promo images with the Thing's hand holding a stone/Thing reaching for a stone and later Super-Skrull shows up in the story but no Thing, though I don't know if that was a planned swerve or an adjustment).

Then when the Infinity Countdown mini-series (which was originally solicited as issues of Duggan/Kuder's GOTG run) starts up, Wolverine literally drops the Infinity Stone off in a toilet tank in a safehouse only he and Black Widow know about with a note that lampshades the whole thing "Hey Nat, I had a plan for this stone but I got other stuff to deal with, can't explain sorry later bye!" and Black Widow just kind of picks up where I guess Wolverine was going to be in the narrative?

There was also the whole thing after Legacy where they did "after credits sequences" with Wolverine, back from the dead with an Infinity Stone, is teleporting around just missing all of his old friends who he wants to share a secret with. But this was all completely dropped and in the actual Return of Wolverine series he's back from the dead, amnesiac (he doesn't know his own name or who Daken or Sabretooth or anyone else is), working for some evil corporation with claws that get hot. Which means the whole "hey bub I'm back and I need to seek out my old friends for a secret mission!" doesn't align at all with where the new management decided to go with Wolverine's return.

Carol also gets shunted off pretty quickly, but not as hilariously.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Artelier posted:

She had it for all of like three pages and the only thing she does with it is create a hologram of Thanos

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oh man. Okay, yeah. this sounds like a pass, thanks.

Ms. Marvel's been my favourite overall for a few years but outside her book she's not been that great so I was hoping this one at least gave her some time to shine but I guess not. :(

Artelier fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 9, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Artelier posted:

Oh man. Okay, yeah. this sounds like a pass, thanks.

Ms. Marvel's been my favourite overall for a few years but outside her book she's not been that great so I was hoping this one at least gave her some time to shine but I guess not. :(

Seriously I think they need to have every possible writer write a Kamala one-shot, as a way of figuring out who else "gets" her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Seriously I think they need to have every possible writer write a Kamala one-shot, as a way of figuring out who else "gets" her.

I liked her in those 2 "Marvel Rising" team-ups she did with Squirrel Girl, but googling says that those were co-written by North and Wilson. So I guess that means I'd probably be okay with North writing her as long as he has Wilson's cell-phone number.

I thought she was decent in Mark Waid's All New All Different Avengers, but then terrible in Mark Waid's Champions. So he's a crap shoot

Maybe Al Ewing or whoever writes Moon Girl? Kelly Thompson? Chelsea Cain if she hadn't publicly said she's permanently done with Marvel? I liked Kate Leth's Patsy Walker, so mayber her?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How do all the merged characters fit into this?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now she's on Wonder Woman, I do wonder how long Ms Marvel will run under Wilson. She's never really had more than ongoing, has she? Maybe that's just been from lack of opportunity.

edit: I bumped off of MM a while ago, so wouldn't mind someone new giving it a crack.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 9, 2018

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Tangentially, though the miniserieses about them have been the best part of the event

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rantmo posted:

Tangentially, though the miniserieses about them have been the best part of the event

So are they in the slightly busted sub-universe Gamora created?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, Gamora folded the universe in half by merging half the population with the other half.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
All the folded characters are fighting what seems to be a quite literally meaningless battle in the soul gem because apparently they couldn't think of anything else to do with those characters

Soldier supreme Rodgers complained that he didn't want to be split up and die and warlock?? replied he would try to find a way for them to live and the originals to be restored so maybe there might be a folded universe permanently later on or something

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Aphrodite posted:

There was something (the severed ghost head of Thanos, but also some of the Big Mysterious Cosmic Forces) that convinced Gamora that the Infinity Stones really do need to bring balance to the universe by halving the number of souls, and her just-clever-dumb-enough-for-me solution was rather than kill half the universe, just smoosh together every single living soul into half as many people, resulting in the Spider-Man/Moon Knight, Ant-Man/Hulk, Emma Frost/Wolverine, Doctor Strange/Captain America mash-em-ups that are in the core mini-series and the side books.

The whole merged universe thing really feels like (as I said earlier) that this was a Guardians of the Galaxy storyline that they got hyped for at one Alonso-led creative summit, and the mash-em-ups were pitched as a way to extend this out into a big linewide crossover. Then when they pulled back from that, the concept was still there and Duggan/Ewing/et al thought it was a fun idea, but it no longer serves a huge purpose besides being a fun idea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some of those are more impressive than others. Wolverine/Emma seemed especially lame because it was just Patch with white hair.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The bitch of it is that some of the merged characters are actually pretty interesting, I mean, Little Monster is rad as hell but it's all loving pointless.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife just demanded I buy this comic because of this crossover:
https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1060946806891175937

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Carol also gets shunted off pretty quickly, but not as hilariously.

I really hope Thompson's series does right by Carol, because God knows nothing else has.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Could Carol just be an inherently bad character?

Maybe the movie will give her a new personality that they will copy into the comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1061022113404981249

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lord Packinham posted:

Maybe the movie will give her a new personality that they will copy into the comics.

She's just Commander Shepard and they did a pretty good job there for 2 2/3 of games.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In for the Lapham cowboy book. Too bad he's not drawing it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

She's just Commander Shepard and they did a pretty good job there for 2 2/3 of games.

You get a bit of that in that series where Carol's running Alpha Flight, but most writers seem obsessed with putting Carol out there by herself and not interacting with the greater Marvel Universe and not giving her much to go on. Of course then I'm reminded of Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel series that did try to reestablish Carol as a Thing but got super weird and creepy in a story with the Puppet Master and I stopped reading.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

She's a terrible dancer and has an ongoing romantic relationship with a tatted psycho telekenetic? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFxl3mj9Fw

"We'll bang okay?"

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 10, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord Packinham posted:

She was good whenever Claremont wrote her in the 80's. I didn't hate the Kelly Sue Deconnick stuff (first arc was terrible, but I thought that was a combination of editorial meddling and really bad art, Like they have Mckelvie doing the covers and the original design and won't pay him for the interiors?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Carol had her solo book for a couple of years in the 70s but for she was a supporting character who only appeared in team books for most of her existence after that.

I wonder if things would've been different if there'd been, say, a solo book written by Busiek in the late 90s / early 00s, around the same time he was writing Avengers and Iron Man.