Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never seen photos like these before. I can easily picture Trump's supporters doing the same thing.

https://twitter.com/ElishevaAvital/status/1060914913328148480

EDIT: Thread Reader version... https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/status/1060940413064884226

Thanks for sharing this.

Never forget, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Yeah Murdoch wins by perpetuating the culture war. If Republicans had complete power he loses some fearmongering power

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skex posted:

I don't actually agree with the former as I think that accepting that premise is accepting the Republican framing that the ideas that they tie to her are actually bad things that we should be running from rather than on.

On the second, I'm hoping that she grafts AOC and several other of the new young women in congress to her hip and starts their master class on how to herd cats and terrorize elephants (the Republican kind not real elephants which are awesome and cool). Cortez would be an excellent choice for grooming in my opinion given her age and that she comes from a very very solid Democratic stronghold she could be a political powerhouse for decades.

considering that AOC unseated crowley, who was the person pelosi was grooming as her replacement, i suspect that there will be a lot of bad blood between them.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
https://twitter.com/BenCardinforMD/status/1060911500305616896

Our friend Ben.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Sky Shadowing posted:

My opinion of GWB has admittedly swung from evil to well-meaning but incompetent, ineffective, misguided, and completely unaware of the realities of the country and its people. A bad president but not pure evil. I wouldn't say my opinion of him is positive, but he tried to be a good president and failed.

Like, I think GWB is capable of empathy, like he'd sit there and be able to sympathize with a parent about losing their child. Trump would just make fun of them for crying and call them an idiot liberal for asking for gun control and tell them their child didn't want to live enough or they'd be alive.
GWB might be capable of feeling a wider and more nuanced range of real emotions than Trump, and possess greater charisma and empathy than him, but as of date he's still caused more harm and evil in this world. And did so with a fair understanding of the risks and ramifications.

Trump might have a greater potential to do harm, and is certainly full of more malice, but dubya never deserves being viewed with the soft eyes of retrospection.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 9, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

i still do not get what the hell is going on where the murdoch-owned WSJ keeps breaking these stories. is there some floor with actual journalists that none of the executives have managed to find and fire everyone on?

Yeah, what the hell? It'll make for some comedy when Trump tries to Twitter whine about how noted left-wing media outlet, the Wall Street Journal, is out to fake news-inante him, though.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Ague Proof posted:

Bio: "Undocumented gynecologist"

:chloe:

Trump won't be able to vote for himself if it's the clock test and he has to identify the camel.

You were right the first time. Sure, GWB isn't a weird freak like Trump, but that's not exculpatory. That's an extremely low bar. Trump hasn't started a war yet.

Except the quiet civil war where chuds shoot up newspapers and mail bombs to the mdeia

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Diversity in portfolio or some poo poo. Make money on both sides of the fence.

yeah but the WSJ exists to support the republican party, publishing the occasional legitimate story to polish their 'journalist' bona fides is one thing, breaking news that eventually lead to the president's lawyer going to jail and flipping on trump and his mistress getting released from her nda seems like the sort that everyone in charge at the WSJ would have tried to bury.

like, a story skewering some no-name republican house rep as corrupt is one thing, attacks on trump himself are so odd coming out of the WSJ i really don't know what to make of it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Your overall point is generally right, but that is a picture of a woman after two suicide bombs went off from the Badr Organization, which was founded in 1982 and has been using suicide bombs in Iraq for almost 20 years before the Iraq War started.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ague Proof posted:

You were right the first time. Sure, GWB isn't a weird freak like Trump, but that's not exculpatory. That's an extremely low bar. Trump hasn't started a war yet.

Started a war besides the one that we still have raging and is showing no signs of ending, you mean

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Any idea what the timeline would be until we know the results of Fl?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I'd like him better if he wasn't so in love with Israel, but when he's right he's right

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sky Shadowing posted:

My opinion of GWB has admittedly swung from evil to well-meaning but incompetent, ineffective, misguided, and completely unaware of the realities of the country and its people. A bad president but not pure evil. I wouldn't say my opinion of him is positive, but he tried to be a good president and failed.

Like, I think GWB is capable of empathy, like he'd sit there and be able to sympathize with a parent about losing their child. Trump would just make fun of them for crying and call them an idiot liberal for asking for gun control and tell them their child didn't want to live enough or they'd be alive.

Just last year he was out there campaigning for Ed "MS-13" Gillespie and even in 2018 went whole-hog on getting Rapist McBeerstein onto the Supreme Court so even within the dreadfully limited memory of the electorate this is plain wrong.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

i still do not get what the hell is going on where the murdoch-owned WSJ keeps breaking these stories. is there some floor with actual journalists that none of the executives have managed to find and fire everyone on?

WSJ was also involved in uncovering Elizabeth Holmes' fraud at Theranos, despite Murdoch being heavily invested in the company. Holmes even personally begged Murdoch squash their investigation, a request he declined. I think he's tried to keep a fair bit of editorial independence at the paper. Anyway Trump scandals sell and that's the most important thing isn't it? If WSJ didn't cover it it would just leak to another paper.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Spacebump posted:

Any idea what the timeline would be until we know the results of Fl?

sometime between now and January when the gov/senator is sworn in, I suppose. Maybe not even then-- Franken's first election got delayed for months. If it ends up being razor thin we might not have a senator from Florida until mid-2019.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1060954367891816448

Gorka posted:

Dab on them haters

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Skex posted:

I "love" how most of the "leftists" in the Dems are bad Brigade rely largely on repeating and reinforcing Right Wing Framing. Here's a hint, there is a reason why the Right absolutely hates and uses Nancy Pelosi as their political chew toy of choice and it's not because she's too centrist. It's because she's effective and the last loving thing the left needs to be doing at this point is jettisoning effective leaders because the Republicans say poo poo.

We're currently fighting a war for the survival of the Human species. It's well loving past time for people to drop petty differences and focus on the common foe, that foe is the regressive forces of ignorance that characterizes the political right. Know your loving enemy and stop engaging in friendly fire. We're running out of time and all of the time and energy that's devoted to the circular firing squad is energy and time that could be focused on that actual enemy.

We're what maybe 10 years from experiencing food shortages as a result of climate change? 20 from mass famine and migrations world wide. Hell if anything Climate Change advocates and scientists are not being alarmist enough regarding how bad things are going to be. This crisis would be bad enough if it just came down to arguing over the best way to address and mitigate the issue, yet we're still stuck fighting against people who not only don't accept it as a threat but are actively encouraging more of the activities that created and intensify the problem to begin with for no obvious reason than to upset those of us who do believe in it.

I'm sorry this is more important than whatever you think is the most important issue facing us politically because if we don't address this particular problem there won't be anyone around to even experience those other issues. At this point you are either a part of the solution or you are part of the problem. If your answer to Trump and the GOP is to blame the Democrats and sit on your rear end or actively undermine Democrats then you are a part of the loving problem and are just as bad as the Republicans. Whether the Democrats are good is irrelevant. because as imperfect as they may be they are currently the most effective weapon that we in the United States have that can be used to thwart the suicide pact that the Republican Party is.

It's "true" that both that self proclaimed leftists and the right hate Nancy Pelosi because she is a representative from "San Fransisco."

On the right, San Fransisco is an evil place. The only white people are hippies and they are the minority. The streets are filled with 1970s pimps, drag queens, illegal immigrant MS13 gang members, and Al Qaeda terrorists. Only the last two groups are allowed to vote. Guns, the Bible, and soft drinks larger than 6 oz have been banned. Children there start everyday pledging allegiance on a Koran to destroy capitalism and the white race. Nancy Pelosi represents San Fransisco as it exists in the Ambien fueled nightmares of Fox News and is the right's enemy.

On the left, San Fransisco is an evil place. The tech industry has turned it into one of the most unequal places in the country. Homelessness is rampant. Gentrification is pushing the poor and working class out of a place they've called home for decades. It's unique culture and character replaced with empty, sterile, corporatism. There is a vast divide between the haves and have nots in that city and that divide is ever growing. As Congresses top corporate fundraiser and with a net worth of hundreds of millions of dollars, it's clear which side of that divide Pelosi represents. Nancy Pelosi represents San Fransisco as it exists as a triumph of capitalism over the rights, health, and well being of it's own citizens and is the left's enemy.

I hope this helps.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Worth noting that Trump appears to have violated campaign finance laws with this.

That said:
https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/1060960070299803648

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Squalid posted:

WSJ was also involved in uncovering Elizabeth Holmes' fraud at Theranos, despite Murdoch being heavily invested in the company. Holmes even personally begged Murdoch squash their investigation, a request he declined. I think he's tried to keep a fair bit of editorial independence at the paper. Anyway Trump scandals sell and that's the most important thing isn't it? If WSJ didn't cover it it would just leak to another paper.

yeah this is the serious answer: the journal has well-connected news section and they'd lose a lot of money by killing their stories. murdoch's propaganda ops are doing just fine in spite of it

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

GoluboiOgon posted:

considering that AOC unseated crowley, who was the person pelosi was grooming as her replacement, i suspect that there will be a lot of bad blood between them.

Pelosi is a grown up I'm not worried about that. Unlike many "leftists" here Pelosi knows who the real enemy is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

evilweasel posted:

yeah but the WSJ exists to support the republican party, publishing the occasional legitimate story to polish their 'journalist' bona fides is one thing, breaking news that eventually lead to the president's lawyer going to jail and flipping on trump and his mistress getting released from her nda seems like the sort that everyone in charge at the WSJ would have tried to bury.

like, a story skewering some no-name republican house rep as corrupt is one thing, attacks on trump himself are so odd coming out of the WSJ i really don't know what to make of it

While the opinion page is maddening, the reporting is leaps and bounds ahead of the NYT or the Washington Post.

You can subscribe to all three if you want to see for yourself, the WSJ is the best written.

It's not the Fox News of print media.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's right, Mister Chapo, the era of the Pajama Boy remains OVER!

Hail the Dragon of Budapest!!!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GoluboiOgon posted:

I think that AOC is a phenomenal political talent, but I think she'd be better in a more public-facing role than in a House leadership role (whose primary job is hearding cats internally, raising money, and other stuff that's not really about galvanizing public support). I'm not sure what that role would be, but I don't think House leadership is it. For an example, I like Senator Warren far, far more than i like Senator Schumer, but I prefer Schumer as majority leader and Warren as someone who doesn't have to play nice with Manchin or other red state dems.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
I didn't mean dubya was better, just maybe more of an expected problem we had more tools to deal with. Unlike the unruly toddler we have now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fyi i know it's a compelling picture from a 'i want to make the Bad Dems feel things' perspective but this is the aftermath of a car bombing

so, like, second-order consequences not first, if we assume the instability caused by overthrowing saddam was evitable

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Your overall point is generally right, but that is a picture of a woman after two suicide bombs went off from the Badr Organization, which was founded in 1982 and has been using suicide bombs in Iraq for almost 20 years before the Iraq War started.

oh nooooooooooooooooo

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Sky Shadowing posted:

Ugh, yeah. At least bush publicly tried to discourage racism.

Remember he was gonna do immigration reform before 9/11, and his speeches afterwards often emphasized that Arabs and Muslims were not the enemy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's frustrating that the WSJ Opinion Page is the "last bastion of the intellectual conservative" or whatever but the actual news in the newspaper is at a higher level with deeper insight than any other publication.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh nooooooooooooooooo

worstpersonyouknow.onion

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Trump decided to import something from China afterall

https://twitter.com/melissakchan/status/1060531575492935680?s=19

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twice burned ice posted:

worstpersonyouknow.onion

that meme is actually from clickhole!

:colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Office Pig posted:

Just last year he was out there campaigning for Ed "MS-13" Gillespie and even in 2018 went whole-hog on getting Rapist McBeerstein onto the Supreme Court so even within the dreadfully limited memory of the electorate this is plain wrong.

That people continue to see GWB as an affable idiot speaks to just how good he really was at unassumingly wielding hegemonic power

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Worth noting that Trump appears to have violated campaign finance laws with this.

That said:
https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/1060960070299803648

Oh I see, it's the "I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that" defense:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq6IRQWwAIw&t=293s

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I'm sure he'll also make an exception for Ivanka Trump brand voting machines

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Skex posted:

Pelosi is a grown up I'm not worried about that. Unlike many "leftists" here Pelosi knows who the real enemy is.

George Bu- wait poo poo nevermind

Robert Muelle- wait poo poo nevermind

James Come- wait poo poo nevermind

Jeff Sessio- wait poo poo nevermind

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skex posted:

quote:

She also reiterated she was willing to work on a bipartisan basis with Mr. Trump. "I worked very productively with President Bush when we had the majority and he had the presidency," she said, referring to the first time she became House speaker, in 2006.

"We will strive for bipartisanship. We believe that we have a responsibility to seek common ground where we can. Where we cannot must stand our ground, but we must try," she added.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

well maybe you shouldn't be a violent counterrevolutionary then, Mel

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

evilweasel posted:

I think that AOC is a phenomenal political talent, but I think she'd be better in a more public-facing role than in a House leadership role (whose primary job is hearding cats internally, raising money, and other stuff that's not really about galvanizing public support). I'm not sure what that role would be, but I don't think House leadership is it. For an example, I like Senator Warren far, far more than i like Senator Schumer, but I prefer Schumer as majority leader and Warren as someone who doesn't have to play nice with Manchin or other red state dems.

Good point. maybe grafting AOC to Maxine Waters would be a better choice.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Twinkie posted:

It's "true" that both that self proclaimed leftists and the right hate Nancy Pelosi because she is a representative from "San Fransisco."

On the right, San Fransisco is an evil place. The only white people are hippies and they are the minority. The streets are filled with 1970s pimps, drag queens, illegal immigrant MS13 gang members, and Al Qaeda terrorists. Only the last two groups are allowed to vote. Guns, the Bible, and soft drinks larger than 6 oz have been banned. Children there start everyday pledging allegiance on a Koran to destroy capitalism and the white race. Nancy Pelosi represents San Fransisco as it exists in the Ambien fueled nightmares of Fox News and is the right's enemy.

On the left, San Fransisco is an evil place. The tech industry has turned it into one of the most unequal places in the country. Homelessness is rampant. Gentrification is pushing the poor and working class out of a place they've called home for decades. It's unique culture and character replaced with empty, sterile, corporatism. There is a vast divide between the haves and have nots in that city and that divide is ever growing. As Congresses top corporate fundraiser and with a net worth of hundreds of millions of dollars, it's clear which side of that divide Pelosi represents. Nancy Pelosi represents San Fransisco as it exists as a triumph of capitalism over the rights, health, and well being of it's own citizens and is the left's enemy.

I hope this helps.

In other words, the right and the left hate San Francisco because it is one of the seats of liberalism.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1060960329876697088?s=21

Lol ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

there are two million people in broward county

i am concerned that donald trump might be bad at geography, or lying saying a thing that is not true