Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

moist turtleneck posted:

what the gently caress was up with the one bite peaches

Mac watched Call Me By Your Name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually wanted to rewatch the dance on my DVR tonight so I gave the people I was with some super quick Mac background ("long repressed, super religious but in a really dumb, ignorant way loaded with guilt and repression, randomly came out a couple of years ago, his dad is a horrible scumbag who has never given a poo poo about him but he's always strived for his love, but its almost entirely all been done as a joke.") then showed them the opening scene and the final one. And everyone really got the emotion and message and agreed it was a powerful thing even without any real context.

That's some drat impressive storytelling from a show that almost never does anything earnestly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So Frank has brain cancer or something, right? The whole time his nose was gushing I kept thinking they were going to do something with that. How crazy would it have been if Frank died next season.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

So Frank has brain cancer or something, right? The whole time his nose was gushing I kept thinking they were going to do something with that. How crazy would it have been if Frank died next season.

I honestly thought there was a chance they were going to kill him off this episode.

Kudos to the casting a few seasons back; swollen Frank looked a lot like a messed-up Jon Polito (from Frank's Brother).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They kind of implied in Being Frank that he has some kind of terrible, possibly terminal, disease. I’ve always assumed the eventual series finale would feature his death.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Glad they finally figured out something to do with Mac's bod.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I didn't understand that dance in any way and felt no emotion watching it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sucks to be you

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I guess I don't know what it means to not "get" a dance lmao

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I am having--this is crazy--I'm having feelings again, like some kind of 14 year old kid or something. I mean, you remember feelings, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A comedy on its 13th season should be a shambling corpse. It always amazes me how the crew for Always Sunny is still invested enough to knock it out of the park like this.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Agronox posted:

Kudos to the casting a few seasons back; swollen Frank looked a lot like a messed-up Jon Polito (from Frank's Brother).

Yes! Definitely. I felt like this, too. From an artistic standpoint, I liked that Frank was trying to stop up his injury for most of the episode and the backup was nearly killing him. Once he finally removes the blockage he gets better and gets Mac to do the same and encourages him to just let his wounds heal naturally.

I did like the ending of the episode and was pleasantly surprised that they didn't invalidate it with some kind of punchline, but I don't really like interpretative dance and I didn't fully get the meaning of the dance. Like, I did on at the top-level but not really any of the detail.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Sean posted:

I didn't fully get the meaning of the dance. Like, I did on at the top-level but not really any of the detail.
So basically the whole dance was about Mac overcoming how he's powered his self loathing with a warped view of what he thinks God is, and how he used oversexualization as a means to not really be his true self, and how that was literally killing him.

It opens with Mac alternating between pushing God away whenever he moves more by himself and going into tango-esque sequences, showing an alternating and conflicting view where he couldn't be himself while loving how he'd built up God in his head without reverting to over the top sexuality towards women. As the dance goes on, these pushes and moments get stronger and stronger, sometimes literally throwing himself and God across the stage, until Mac's awakening - this is the point where his dad leaves. He's broken here, and full of pain, and he tries to hide in God but can't, because who that is to him doesn't fit with who he is to himself. This is, in the overall story, the point when Mac finally realizes to himself that he is gay, after a few seasons of increasingly over the top gay jokes. He got absurd in the show, but the dance shows that right here was the lowest he's been in his whole fuckin' life. Throughout that sequence, God is getting more and more desperate to gain Mac's attention, with larger, more elaborate movements, which was Mac's internal struggle where he desperately wanted to cling to his faith, but couldn't find a way to mesh the two in his heart.

Then, poo poo starts to change. He returns furiously to sex and violence, which was the last moments before he came out in his life, and after a massive push where he and God fly to other ends of the stage, they start dancing together, properly. This was his coming out. It's awkward at first, there's flirtations with those more tango-like movements, showing how he can't really get himself together... and then, it clicks. We have some final amazing moments, before Mac literally holds God over his head in a feat of strength, showing he's finally learned that he doesn't need to change, he's strong enough to be the warrior he sees himself as in the eyes of God... then, in just a loving perfect moment, he lets her down and cries in her lap while she whispers "it's okay." This here was the final moment, where Mac has identified this massive strength in himself, but also that he can finally be a complete person who is vulnerable, who is allowed to be weak, who no longer needs the bravado of strength because he's more than that.

It's insane that this 13th season comedy show about a bunch of trash gremlins from the worst bar in Philadelphia could have such a loving powerful dance that also fully reveals this huuuuge underbelly to a character who, previously, had been the butt of every joke, and to do it effectively seconds after Cricket was dressed like a leather grandpa sex dancing some ringworm scars onto a swollen-headed Frank.

Also charlie eet rat

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Charlie's "Take My Breath Away" dance was still better.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Whalley posted:

So basically the whole dance was about Mac overcoming how he's powered his self loathing with a warped view of what he thinks God is, and how he used oversexualization as a means to not really be his true self, and how that was literally killing him.

Jesus I hope this doesn't make him well-adjusted! It'd ruin the goddamn show!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Krankenstyle posted:

Although there were never any injuries, everyone recalls a freak flip that happened during rehearsals once the rain had been added to a section of the dance they called “the death spiral.” Faulk practiced it first with McElhenney to make sure that Shea would be safe. He was supposed to swing her around, twirl her with one hand, and then let her go in the gushing water, but something unexpected happened when he moved his foot and lost the grip. As Faulk spun, McElhenney flipped forward, landing like a ninja to prevent her from falling. “It was insane!” said Shea, who watched it happen alongside Moctezuma.

“I don’t know what happened there, it was like holdover jujitsu training,” McElhenney recalled. “I lost my footing and I did some kind of bizarre flip and landed like Spider-Man. Unfortunately, the cameras weren’t rolling.”

:madmax:

if he had a gun with him he'd be spraying bullets into the air as he fell.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Whalley posted:

It opens with Mac alternating between pushing God away whenever he moves more by himself and going into tango-esque sequences, showing an alternating and conflicting view where he couldn't be himself while loving how he'd built up God in his head without reverting to over the top sexuality towards women. As the dance goes on, these pushes and moments get stronger and stronger, sometimes literally throwing himself and God across the stage, until Mac's awakening - this is the point where his dad leaves. He's broken here, and full of pain, and he tries to hide in God but can't, because who that is to him doesn't fit with who he is to himself. This is, in the overall story, the point when Mac finally realizes to himself that he is gay, after a few seasons of increasingly over the top gay jokes. He got absurd in the show, but the dance shows that right here was the lowest he's been in his whole fuckin' life. Throughout that sequence, God is getting more and more desperate to gain Mac's attention, with larger, more elaborate movements, which was Mac's internal struggle where he desperately wanted to cling to his faith, but couldn't find a way to mesh the two in his heart.

Then, poo poo starts to change. He returns furiously to sex and violence, which was the last moments before he came out in his life, and after a massive push where he and God fly to other ends of the stage, they start dancing together, properly. This was his coming out. It's awkward at first, there's flirtations with those more tango-like movements, showing how he can't really get himself together... and then, it clicks. We have some final amazing moments, before Mac literally holds God over his head in a feat of strength, showing he's finally learned that he doesn't need to change, he's strong enough to be the warrior he sees himself as in the eyes of God... then, in just a loving perfect moment, he lets her down and cries in her lap while she whispers "it's okay." This here was the final moment, where Mac has identified this massive strength in himself, but also that he can finally be a complete person who is vulnerable, who is allowed to be weak, who no longer needs the bravado of strength because he's more than that.

It's insane that this 13th season comedy show about a bunch of trash gremlins from the worst bar in Philadelphia could have such a loving powerful dance that also fully reveals this huuuuge underbelly to a character who, previously, had been the butt of every joke, and to do it effectively seconds after Cricket was dressed like a leather grandpa sex dancing some ringworm scars onto a swollen-headed Frank.

Also charlie eet rat

Holy poo poo, thank you for this. I get all of those plot points across the seasons but am not cultured in dance enough to interpret that. I got on the verge of tearfulness reading this, though, and I'll re-read this when I get home right before I watch the sequence again. Thank you.

I thought of something separately while on a work break a moment ago: after Mac won't participate Frank makes do and finds "another homosexual" by way of Cricket. I think Cricket's described himself as "pay for gay" in previous episodes and I think it's interesting in an episode about sexual identity that Cricket is the backup but he's not actually gay. Like performing the acts isn't what makes him gay since he isn't at his core--almost a foil to Mac doing "straight" things to pretend that's who he is, even though the actions don't define who he really is. Cricket even, classically, lets Dee boss him around a bit. Further, Cricket's dressed in some stupid straight person stereotype of gay leather gear like when Frank brought Mac to the BDSM orgy thinking that's how all gay people are.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

timp posted:

Jesus I hope this doesn't make him well-adjusted! It'd ruin the goddamn show!
It's like the Charlie Work episode; it showed a serious side to him but I wouldn't be surprised if in the next season we see him and he's still doing ocular patdowns and screaming at Dee

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Although there were never any injuries, everyone recalls a freak flip that happened during rehearsals once the rain had been added to a section of the dance they called “the death spiral.” Faulk practiced it first with McElhenney to make sure that Shea would be safe. He was supposed to swing her around, twirl her with one hand, and then let her go in the gushing water, but something unexpected happened when he moved his foot and lost the grip. As Faulk spun, McElhenney flipped forward, landing like a ninja to prevent her from falling. “It was insane!” said Shea, who watched it happen alongside Moctezuma.

“I don’t know what happened there, it was like holdover jujitsu training,” McElhenney recalled. “I lost my footing and I did some kind of bizarre flip and landed like Spider-Man. Unfortunately, the cameras weren’t rolling.”

:madmax:

It's funny, I was literally terrified when she started that forward run through the rain that she was going to slip and fall, but that had to have been a fairly roughed-up floor.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Not related to this episode, but one of the channels on the Yous Tuber that I follow is Legal Eagle. This is a lawyer who looks at legal proceedings in movies and TV shows and comments on what is and what isn't accurate or realistic. It's a fun show, especially since while we all know on a certain level that court isn't depicted properly in movies or on TV, it's often surprising just how far off the mark things are.

He finally got to "McPoyle vs. Ponderosa: The Trial of the Century." It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFAi-X-gNIQ

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Never heard of this guy but it's interesting to watch someone analyze a show like this without any information on the show at all other than the phrase "bird law". It was worth it just for this graphic though.

God drat that was a great episode too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Whalley posted:

Also charlie eet rat

I'm pretty sure IASIP wants you to think there was meaning behind the dance but in reality there was no meaning and it was just an absurd dance done in a philly prison by an insane guy which makes it so funny. Everyone in the prison was inspired except for his Dad, and Frank 'understanding' the dance was part of the joke.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

I'm pretty sure IASIP wants you to think there was meaning behind the dance but in reality there was no meaning and it was just an absurd dance done in a philly prison by an insane guy which makes it so funny. Everyone in the prison was inspired except for his Dad, and Frank 'understanding' the dance was part of the joke.

Christ you really loving suck dude

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The dance was a visualization of Mac's internal metaphor of being in the closet and coming to terms with being gay. That's the only thing to "get". Whether or not the dance itself was actually meant be interpreted as that or if Rob just came up with that explanation to justify including an artsy dance scene he worked hard on is questionable though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It could be serious and still be funny! That's juxtaposition!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

multijoe posted:

Christ you really loving suck dude

Sorry for interpreting the dance as a straight forward joke?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Y'all know that interpretive dance and ballet are like explicit storytelling mediums, right? And that they went to great lengths to get people who knew how to tell these kind of stories? And that they explicitly did not want to end this episode on a joke out of respect for the numerous LGBT people who have voiced support to the show since Mac's coming out, because the whole team didn't want to make a joke of a really serious event?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The dance was an elaborate prank to show that Mac is constantly smashing the tang. That's why he was dancing with a girl and putting her in all sorts of sexually suggestive positions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

Sorry for interpreting the dance as a straight forward joke?

It was the one earnest thing the show's ever done, taking it as a joke at Mac's expense is really kind of horrible

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

multijoe posted:

It was the one earnest thing the show's ever done, taking it as a joke at Mac's expense is really kind of horrible

Whalley posted:

Y'all know that interpretive dance and ballet are like explicit storytelling mediums, right? And that they went to great lengths to get people who knew how to tell these kind of stories? And that they explicitly did not want to end this episode on a joke out of respect for the numerous LGBT people who have voiced support to the show since Mac's coming out, because the whole team didn't want to make a joke of a really serious event?

I'm sorry for watching a comedy show and interpreting an absurd dance done in an absurd environment as a joke.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I too derive meaning from the show where danny devito covered himself in hand sanitizer and rolled around on the floor

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I too derive meaning from the show where danny devito covered himself in hand sanitizer and rolled around on the floor

It's art!

PULL THE BOTTLE OUT PULL IT OUT

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Doltos posted:

I'm sorry for watching a comedy show and interpreting an absurd dance done in an absurd environment as a joke.

I don’t know what about it was absurd.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It struck me as BOTH serious and a joke. Serious on its face, but the joke is kind of on the audience, because you do not expect a four minute dance routine in IASIP and once it comes you’re waiting for the high school reunion episode punchline that never happens.

I’m not sure if it 100% works but it’s pretty cool regardless and I had a giant smile on my face at the end of it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Super Deuce posted:

I don’t know what about it was absurd.

It was in a prison?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

This effects how I feel about Mac's dad, though. I always thought he actually loved Mac and was always trying to show him that, but he's so reserved and scary and toxic that Mac always concludes the worst, like the episode where he was gonna take them to Cooperstown but thought he was gonna bump them.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Waltzing Along posted:

It was in a prison?

The environment was absurd, but he's referring to the dance as absurd as well, which it was not. I've been to a friend's show where they danced as a staticy voice kept repeating "Always Coca-Cola". That was absurd. This was just insanely impressive interpretive dance, and not even the boring kind.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

Honestly I wasn't a huge fan of the episode myself, even if its heart was in the right place, but it was very clearly an earnest statement about Mac's homosexuality (and backed up by Rob Mcelhenney's real life comments on the episode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Enderzero posted:

The environment was absurd, but he's referring to the dance as absurd as well, which it was not. I've been to a friend's show where they danced as a staticy voice kept repeating "Always Coca-Cola". That was absurd. This was just insanely impressive interpretive dance, and not even the boring kind.

The dance was absolutely absurd. It had a shirtless ripped Mac doing it in front of a bunch of prisoners in order to make his criminal father accept that he was gay.

Also gently caress multijoe and gently caress people like him who are knee-jerk antagonistic. That does nothing to help represent the cause he's virtue signaling.