Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nephzinho posted:

She shuts down Chainwhirler and Pyromancer ping, nothing else?

Steamkin also gets hit.

Edit: poo poo wait was it Tocatli that shut down my Steamkin? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GrandpaPants posted:

Steamkin also gets hit.

Edit: poo poo wait was it Tocatli that shut down my Steamkin? That doesn't seem to make sense.

It shouldn’t since the steam kin triggers are on cast

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yeah I was mistaking it for another game where my Steam Kin got Merfolk Trickster'ed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

It shouldn’t since the steam kin triggers are on cast

So many exact lethal kills where I play something into a counter and get the +1 on steamkin anyway.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, today I learned that, while not as much as Golgari, Tocatli Honor Guard also hurts monored pretty well :(

Tocatli fuckin rules and I love slamming it right in the face of Golgari cowards. My breathing visibly quickens when I see G/B mana on turn 2 with her in the grip.

I will definitely be changing my tune when I come around to spending WC on a Golgari deck of my own.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm finding Golgari fun when I don't slam into the guard. I'm actually finding the Giant a respecable way to get reach for the big finish.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What is the format of this PT? Do they draft 8-mans over and over or just play the same draft deck all day and play Standard tomorrow? Or shift to Standard this afternoon or something?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's the same all the non-team ones have been for the last while. Start each day with a draft then 5 rounds of standard.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

We do love announcing our announcements, but you should pay special attention to this one.

All fall, we've been offering small glimpses into the future of competitive Magic gaming, and we know you have questions. On December 6 at The Game Awards (and on this website), you will get answers.

So, we ask that you're just a little bit more patient with us. It will be worth the wait.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/major-competitive-magic-gaming-announcement-december-6-2018-11-09

...okay?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's the same all the non-team ones have been for the last while. Start each day with a draft then 5 rounds of standard.

Oh good, I was hoping to listen to some Standard at work today.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Huxley posted:

What is the format of this PT? Do they draft 8-mans over and over or just play the same draft deck all day and play Standard tomorrow? Or shift to Standard this afternoon or something?

3 rounds of draft then 4 rounds of standard on Friday and Saturday then a cut to top 8 for Sunday. The top 8 is standard. Tomorrow they will draft new decks.

They also said that all top 8 matches will be best of 5s instead of just the final.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
jeskai control will win the pro tour

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

How much goodwill can WotC incinerate in just one year? Let's find out!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Its during the VGAs so I assume it is just announcing an Arena championship.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

80s James Hetfield posted:

jeskai control will win the pro tour

Probably, its the one deck that doesnt have either a silver bullet hate card that turns the deck off or an auto lose matchup. I wouldnt be shocked if something else won but Jeskai has the best odds to walk away with the crown.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

an_mutt posted:

Tuning into the draft and saw that Ben Stark just p1p1'd a Nightveil Sprite over a Dead Weight and a Disinformation campaign. I haven't really followed the draft format for the last 3-4 weeks, and what on earth have I missed?

P1P1 sprite puts you in the best two guilds, dimir and izzet, is an uncommon so you see less of them, and gives repeatable surveil for the other build around uncommons (spy bug, phantasm, and fake news).

There are going to be dimir control decks that want dead weight more than sprite but early on the more powerful flexible card is best.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

3 rounds of draft then 4 rounds of standard on Friday and Saturday then a cut to top 8 for Sunday. The top 8 is standard. Tomorrow they will draft new decks.

They also said that all top 8 matches will be best of 5s instead of just the final.

Isn't it 3 draft and 5 standard? Or did something change since the last time I paid attention.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tainen posted:

Its during the VGAs so I assume it is just announcing an Arena championship.

All future PT's will be standard and will be played on Arena.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Elyv posted:

they don't really like onboard tricks anymore

Or at least repeatable ones that don’t also require a mana cost.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cactrot posted:

All future PT's will be standard and will be played on Arena.

Pretty big improvement over the status quo tbh

Edit: at least if they add a spectator mode. I expect they’d actually take blurry video of the players’ screens over their shoulders

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 9, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think the pt being in arena would be fantastic. I also am a fan of the pt when it isn’t just standard though.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

I think the pt being in arena would be fantastic. I also am a fan of the pt when it isn’t just standard though.

No one is a bigger proponent of moving the game to digital than me, but I feel like having actual drafts on arena before you make it the PT medium would be nice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Eh, maybe good for general viewership, but I like my cards physical.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Marketing New Brain posted:

No one is a bigger proponent of moving the game to digital than me, but I feel like having actual drafts on arena before you make it the PT medium would be nice.

just lol that there aren't actual drafts on Arena one year after its playable release

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://clips.twitch.tv/ComfortableUgliestMulePraiseIt

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AnEdgelord posted:

Probably, its the one deck that doesnt have either a silver bullet hate card that turns the deck off or an auto lose matchup. I wouldnt be shocked if something else won but Jeskai has the best odds to walk away with the crown.

Carnage Tyrant is pretty hard to beat. It’s not that it literally can’t but it people have been maindecking them for a while now.

Hellsau posted:

just lol that there aren't actual drafts on Arena one year after its playable release

I would be really surprised if those are ever coming. I don't know if the demand exists, really. It's not a feature I see requested much anymore.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 9, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pro tour breakdown:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Interesting. Jeskai midrange seems to be the biggest new player, followed by Turbofog, UB control, and Grixis control.

Lots of people on mono r. I’m not sure about that being a good idea. I feel like it got a lot of % points from people not knowing how to side against it.

Not as much Jeskai control as I expected. I guess that goes hand in hand with the other control decks having a surprising amount of representation.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

Carnage Tyrant is pretty hard to beat. It’s not that it literally can’t but it people have been maindecking them for a while now.

Carnage Tyrant is little more than a speed bump for the new version of the Jeskai decks. The sheer density of boardwipes they run let them clear it with ease, and if the Jeskai player is on the Crackling Drake version then they can outright race it/profitably block it.

Golgari's Jeskai matchup has gotten worse and worse over the weeks as Jeskai has refined their deck with better and better answers to Golgari's threats. Star of Extinction in particular is a frighteningly powerful card against Golgari.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I'm of the opinion the phoenix decks are the best decks and whoever gets the build right should take down standard.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Pro tour breakdown:

I really dislike the way they break some of this down. What is the difference between Red-White aggro and Boros Aggro?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cactrot posted:

I really dislike the way they break some of this down. What is the difference between Red-White aggro and Boros Aggro?

One is Red-White, the other is White-Red, presumably.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cactrot posted:

This was my exact question, but I'm also not sure what the difference is between Boros aggro vs. Boros angels?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Probably a matter of RDW splash white versus either a more even split or White Weenie splash red.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad. In this case, I assume Red-White is white weenie + Heroic Reinforcements and Boros is a more even split of colors.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm of the opinion the phoenix decks are the best decks and whoever gets the build right should take down standard.

You may very well be right. Im looking forward to seeing the more refined lists from the pt. The lists we've seen so far have had certain amount of clunkiness that id love to see ironed out.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Cactrot posted:

It's weird they would do this since standard has so many archetypes there's no reason to have another "B/R aggro, B/R midrange, B/R Control".

It's honestly refreshing where the most played deck is just a fifth of the field and probably has 3-4 distinct builds within that group.

AnEdgelord posted:

You may very well be right. Im looking forward to seeing the more refined lists from the pt. The lists we've seen so far have had certain amount of clunkiness that id love to see ironed out.

While I don't think the lists are streamlined yet, there's also something to be said for how much play the deck has, between the drakes and electromancers you can build it to attack whatever is popular, similar to Golgari.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AnEdgelord posted:

Carnage Tyrant is little more than a speed bump for the new version of the Jeskai decks. The sheer density of boardwipes they run let them clear it with ease, and if the Jeskai player is on the Crackling Drake version then they can outright race it/profitably block it.

Golgari's Jeskai matchup has gotten worse and worse over the weeks as Jeskai has refined their deck with better and better answers to Golgari's threats. Star of Extinction in particular is a frighteningly powerful card against Golgari.

I'm willing to make a friendly bet that the matchup isn't anywhere near as favorable for control as you are implying.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Pro tour breakdown:

How does Jeskai Control lose against this field lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GrandpaPants posted:

This was my exact question, but I'm also not sure what the difference is between Boros aggro vs. Boros angels?

At least Boros angels is "The one with Angels", the rest are just nonsense. It's not like they couldn't have picked out specific cards for naming these, even Benalish Boros does more to inform the difference between the Boros decks.