Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vookatos posted:

So whatever happened to those "special deals" that Online owners were supposed to have? Are there any discounts or is it just a stupid NES controller?
I'd like to get a bunch of smaller games on my Switch, since I use it a lot lately, but right now I'm looking for something addictive, to pass the time at work when nothing is happening. Are there any recommendations? Maybe not even very good games, just something with lots of replayability/levelling, like Hyrule Warriors or XCX2. I own and beat both of those games, but they aren't really for me (the former gameplay-wise, the latter is too anime for me)

diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Beastie posted:

I caved and got Diablo, have never played the game before. Is there a good "things to know for noobs article?"

Most of what I find is from the 2012 release and from what I have gathered from this thread, the game is extremely different now.

Adventure is better than story, completing bounties off the Act / World map is a good 'hey do this for prizes' thing. Rifts are randomized dungeons that are good fun to run through for prizes, as well.

Turn on 'Elective Mode' in settings, it lets you reassign abilities to any slot / double up on same categories so you can pick a more varied or comfortable play style.

Don't worry about minmaxing or an ideal build. Play around with what abilities seem cool and effective. The most enjoyable part of leveling in d3 for me is learning how to make a build or skills work without looking it up. If you want to just look up some top end builds for curiosity: https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/ tends to be the go to still.

Once you hit 70, you'll begin leveling up Paragon levels. More stats that you can distribute to make you a more efficient demon murdering machine. Endgame is running Rifts to farm for Great Rift keys, running Greater Rifts for big prizes / exp (and max speed, it really is a speedy game at high end), and doing bounties for prizes and exp.

If you haven't played before, do the story eventually. I just wouldn't start in story until you've gotten a few levels. It is extremely slow compared to adventure, so if you want a more laid back way to learn your new character, that is a good idea. Hell, i should go through and play Act V I never have.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 9, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The story isn't that bad if you at least want to do it once.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Min/maxing in Diablo is so funny to me.
Either you do a ton of research ahead of time and scream towards one specific setup or you play and get a sense of what you want to do until you get a pair of gloves that makes a previously unused spell into an orbital laser Cannon and you have to retool everything.

Diablo is good.
Wish I could justify $60.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Beastie posted:

I caved and got Diablo, have never played the game before. Is there a good "things to know for noobs article?"

Most of what I find is from the 2012 release and from what I have gathered from this thread, the game is extremely different now.
Don't worry about it, just make a seasonal character, adjust the difficulty to what's comfortable to you and things don't take overly too long to die, and turn on elective mode if you want to have a little more choice in how your character is built.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Thanks for the tips! I've watched my brother play, but never tried to understand whats going on under the hood.

I'm starting as a Necro on the story mode. Figure I'll put like 3 hours in there, get the basics, and jump over to a rift or adventure mode.

Liking it so far.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Inzombiac posted:

Min/maxing in Diablo is so funny to me.
Either you do a ton of research ahead of time and scream towards one specific setup or you play and get a sense of what you want to do until you get a pair of gloves that makes a previously unused spell into an orbital laser Cannon and you have to retool everything.

Diablo is good.
Wish I could justify $60.

Same, I will probably try to pick it up on sale for about $40. I gave them $60 at launch for what ended up being a really bad game for about a year.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Over There posted:

The story isn't that bad if you at least want to do it once.

On your first playthrough you can be entertained by how low effort it is. Having to play through it 4 drat times at launch is what caused the involuntary muscle spasms when you heard "Look! More hidden footsteps!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
this is gonna be a guac blowout

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gripweed posted:

Everyone I know hates avacado, and it is very distressing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh yeah this time I agree with the majority on one of those.

It’s gonna be a bloodbath.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heath posted:

Tetris Effect looks cool but holy God the music is awful

good one

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Salsa rules

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Gripweed posted:

If I wanted another guac blowout I'd go to Chipotle

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in a surprise twist the 5 or 6 teams on the salsa side completely eviscerate the army of guac lovers through pure insurmountable difference in skill

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

children think guac is gross therefore go with salsa

Wait no the opposite

gently caress I can't ever figure out how to pick teams

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I just started playing the D3 story because never got very far into Act 2. It is really fun so far, though I think I need to raise the difficulty again.

Playing Crusader is a blast.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pick the one you actually like more. Don’t pick based on what you think more children will pick, that’s super lame.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Augus posted:

good one

I hate the vocals in every song I've heard from it so far

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

which do you prefer.

edit: thius.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pick the one you actually like more. Don’t pick based on what you think more children will pick, that’s super lame.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Licarn posted:

On your first playthrough you can be entertained by how low effort it is. Having to play through it 4 drat times at launch is what caused the involuntary muscle spasms when you heard "Look! More hidden footsteps!"

As I played it the first time I knew that was going to be something that people held onto

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

MZ posted:

Short answer: forget about it and keep it set to Stereo.

I have not got surround sound to work correctly on Switch, IIRC it is using some non-standard thing (because Nintendo) so neither my 5.1 system or soundbar managed to play it back correctly.

Really? I had to do jack poo poo to get it working in my setup :shrug: It's a pretty new Yahama receiver that happily puts the little fish guys in Splatoon in the rear channels so I can hear them and practically shoot over my shoulder without looking at them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

SeANMcBAY posted:

and if you don't have a strong opinion either way, just go with whatever Marina said

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I like having the video apps on the switch mainly for travel. I bring my dock with me a lot and play games on the hotels tv and being able to do that with my console without having to buy an A.V. out for my phone is nice. I also have some friends with kids who'd appreciate it since it means their kids (who don't have smartphones or tablets) can watch their shows on the switch while the adults watch sports. (Which was a vastly underrated part of the second screen aspect of the WiiU and another failure of Nintendo's marketing)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Who are these kid havers who don't have a foam-cased tablet

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Gripweed posted:

just go with whatever Marina said

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Salsa tastes good when made right but so does guac and it’s actually caloric substance.

I’m voting based on utility here.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I make my guac with spicy crushed up pistachios in it. poo poo is good enough to eat with a spoon.

Team Guac!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Is the Pro Controller a no-brainer? The battery life sounds great, but I never touched the Wii/Wii U equivalents and it's a little pricey. Then again the only other option I'd consider would be something super basic like the Horipad.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
WHERE ARE THE BEST NINTENDO SWITCH BLACK FRIDAY DEALS?!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Beastie posted:

I make my guac with spicy crushed up pistachios in it. poo poo is good enough to eat with a spoon.

Team Guac!

I have 100% gotta try this.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Is the Pro Controller a no-brainer? The battery life sounds great, but I never touched the Wii/Wii U equivalents and it's a little pricey. Then again the only other option I'd consider would be something super basic like the Horipad.

It's fantastic and you might be able to find a deal if you can wait. My buddy got one at Walmart for $50, and I got the Spla2n joycon for $60 during the same sale.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

kind of an unfair fest since i've never even seen an avocado in real life but jarred salsa is everywhere

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i've never even seen an avocado in real life

uhh what

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i've never even seen an avocado in real life

OK so this is what the thread's gonna be about for the next couple pages

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
whats weird about that ive never left my house either

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Did you know that avocados are called Doki Doki Panics in Japan

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I saw an avocado for the first time this year, they're really catching on.

Still team Salsa though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Nintendo Switch: Another Thread About Avocados

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

I like having the video apps on the switch mainly for travel. I bring my dock with me a lot and play games on the hotels tv and being able to do that with my console without having to buy an A.V. out for my phone is nice. I also have some friends with kids who'd appreciate it since it means their kids (who don't have smartphones or tablets) can watch their shows on the switch while the adults watch sports. (Which was a vastly underrated part of the second screen aspect of the WiiU and another failure of Nintendo's marketing)
The second screen was so great & awful at the same time. I'm happy I have a WiiU because there is a ton of unique things we got to do on it but the hardware being so unique also is what made so many companies pass on it. No brainer to draw a line through that mess into how Nintendo makes most their decisions these days as far as how the Switch has been built and handled.

Also gave us :woomy:

As far as the Pro controller's battery life: "oh yeah haven't plugged it in for a month" when it finally starts complaining.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 9, 2018