Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

straight-up call for breferendagain
The ultimate of Richard Wagner's cycle of four music dramas titled Der Ring des Scheißkerle.

quote:

Brexit has divided the country. It has divided political parties. And it has divided families too. Although I voted Remain, I have desperately wanted the Government, in which I have been proud to serve, to make a success of Brexit: to reunite our country, our party and, yes, my family too. At times, I believed this was possible.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Let's stir up division to unite people.

e: Panorama first aired 65 years ago.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

He can take a flying gently caress at the mooooooooooooon

:ocelot:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

I know it's been said dozens of times that the British legions change in tone from "lest we forget" to "support are troops" is really bad, but I saw something about their "thank you" campaign and it made me really angry

the point of world war 1 is that millions of ordinary men died for nothing, not civilization, not democracy, loving nothing (apart from empire obvs)

it was an enormous tragedy caused by the total disregard and indifference of the people at the top and that's how it should be remembered, not saying thank you to the 16 year olds mown down at ypres for dying to limit kaiser bill's imperial ambitions save their country

also on the subject of teenagers in uniform I feel like it's a bit obscene letting cadets from schools march in remembrance Day parades. leaving aside whether it's ever appropriate to let kids dress up and pretend to be soldiers it's definitely not in a parade commemorating young men forced to die for no reason

How mad do you think everyone would get if someone sprayed THEY DIED FOR NOTHING in huge letters on the cenotaph

Pretty loving mad I bet

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

The ultimate of Richard Wagner's cycle of four music dramas titled Der Ring des Scheißkerle.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Let's stir up division to unite people.

e: Panorama first aired 65 years ago.

Yeassssssssssssss

“To present the nation with a choice between two deeply unattractive outcomes, vassalage and chaos, is a failure of British statecraft on a scale unseen since the Suez crisis.”

Jo Johnson is the smart Johnson kid but that's not saying much. Vassalage, really?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 9, 2018

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Whenever some galaxy brain says something like "the Nazis were efficient and organised, fascism has its good points" I like to remind them of the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte

Nazis were loving stupid and they lost to things like actually organised mass production and not-balls-to-the-wall-terrible tactics, not just Russian zerg rush

Their society was also terrible. No military dictatorship or fascist regime has ever actually produced a more organised society. It's always corruption and terror with literally no good points

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
In a new bit of poppy news, at the bottom of my street either the council or the British Legion have put up a list of the people who were killed in WWI that lived on the road

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

I like to remind them of the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte
Not it's big brother the P. 1500 Monster?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

In a new bit of poppy news, at the bottom of my street either the council or the British Legion have put up a list of the people who were killed in WWI that lived on the road

I don't recall where you live, but I'm familiar with these from near the war. Every little village in Scotland has a memorial built in the aftermath, and my high schools entrance hall/foyer is covered in the names of the fallen from the Great War who were from the school

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mehall posted:

I don't recall where you live, but I'm familiar with these from near the war. Every little village in Scotland has a memorial built in the aftermath, and my high schools entrance hall/foyer is covered in the names of the fallen from the Great War who were from the school

yeah, there's some general memorials around Southsea, but this is a poster with five names, their ranks, they day they died and the house they lived in. Never seen anything like it

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

yeah, there's some general memorials around Southsea, but this is a poster with five names, their ranks, they day they died and the house they lived in. Never seen anything like it

The schools memorial had ranks and years of birth and death, but that was it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
there is definitely a change in how WW1 is perceived, not merely in the vox poppy leagues but also in academia

there is less emphasis on the Guns of Augustish narrative of great powers, without really realizing, colliding into a pointless meatgrinder over some unimportant conflict in the periphery. During the Cold War this had a certain appeal that overrode accumulating grumbling in the libraries.

but in the 1990s this slid toward embracing more complex narratives and emphasizing, instead, the non-inevitability of war and the disparate, distant decisions that contributed toward the move to war - for completely orthogonal, domestic, or just plain petty reasons, perhaps, rather than the inevitability of imperialism or nationalism. One prominent example being Niall Ferguson's own salvo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mehall posted:

The schools memorial had ranks and years of birth and death, but that was it.

There's one up in the main hall of the Royal Horticultural Society Garden Wisley for each world war iirc

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

mehall posted:

Every little village in Scotland has a memorial built in the aftermath

English villages and churches are similar, but those were put up not long after the war, ie when the people on them were remembered. Adding them now for streets is more soldier worship I'm afraid.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Actually bought a white poppy (or 5, couldn't get just 1 on the website) for the first time this year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah this is the first year I'm not doing poppies. The prison labour thing made it a lot easier to decide tbh.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

English villages and churches are similar, but those were put up not long after the war, ie when the people on them were remembered. Adding them now for streets is more soldier worship I'm afraid.

I think street lists might be a one-off as it's the centenary this year

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pochoclo posted:

Whenever some galaxy brain says something like "the Nazis were efficient and organised, fascism has its good points" I like to remind them of the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte

Nazis were loving stupid and they lost to things like actually organised mass production and not-balls-to-the-wall-terrible tactics, not just Russian zerg rush

Their society was also terrible. No military dictatorship or fascist regime has ever actually produced a more organised society. It's always corruption and terror with literally no good points

Any time anyone tries to talk about how efficient and organised the nazi military were, just remind them that by the end of the war they were so incompetent and disorganized, Zhukov and Konev literally turned taking Berlin into a game.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cerebral Bore posted:

That would unironically have been a good thing, though?

Not if you're French.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am very efficient which is why I am designing and producing an infantry support superheavy mortar assault gun, when I am in the middle of defending against an invasion and running out of resources.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah this is the first year I'm not doing poppies. The prison labour thing made it a lot easier to decide tbh.

I bought one but only because I was going to a fairly formal family event and didn't feel like turning it into an argument, and only wore it for that. I've bought (multiple, because I always lose them) poppies every year since I was 8 or 9, but the last few years I've been feeling more and more ambivalent about it particularly since the "Future Soldier" bullshit.

I'm fairly sure that I'm not alone in this, I've noticed fewer and fewer each year (to the point not even most black cabs have them, which is... surprising). I wonder if the RBL publish figures?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I bought one but only because I was going to a fairly formal family event and didn't feel like turning it into an argument, and only wore it for that. I've bought (multiple, because I always lose them) poppies every year since I was 8 or 9, but the last few years I've been feeling more and more ambivalent about it particularly since the "Future Soldier" bullshit.

I'm fairly sure that I'm not alone in this, I've noticed fewer and fewer each year (to the point not even most black cabs have them, which is... surprising). I wonder if the RBL publish figures?

it's a polarized thing too - like, less people are wearing them but the people who are wear more and more ostentatious poppies. i saw an ambulance with a gigantic decal of a bunch of poppies - given they're basically gravestones it struck me as somewhat defeatist.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Renaissance Robot posted:

How mad do you think everyone would get if someone sprayed THEY DIED FOR NOTHING in huge letters on the cenotaph

Pretty loving mad I bet

If you were gonna do it, now would be the time.

Thinking about it, I'm going into London tomorrow.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

WW1 is often portrayed as a big coincidence but the fact is that over the previous 20 something years. WW1 almost happened on several occasions and was narrowly averted. The war itself had to happen eventually.

When it did happen none of the parties wanted it to happen (except maybe Austria) but when it was a fact. Everyone had to join for various reasons (Germany had to join to preserve the Germany-Austria Alliance which they needed to balance power in Europe. Russia had to join or the monarchy would have fallen for failing to support Bosnia. France had to join to preserve the France-Russia-Britain entente that they depended on to balance power against Germany-Austria.

The only parties who didn't have to join was Britain and the USA.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

If you were gonna do it, now would be the time.

Thinking about it, I'm going into London tomorrow.

Note that if you're not flawlessly white, middle class and middle aged - it's directly opposite the entrance to Downing Street, which has many, many armed coppers outside.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1060351250213076993?s=19

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
gently caress the whole poppy thing. I'm sure it sounded like a good idea on paper at some point but most people who wear them are just empire/war fetishists

Nice anti-feminist overtones they've got going there

EDIT: lol I just glanced at their full feed and they're definitely some kind of parody, they have to be

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 9, 2018

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, same. Kind of sad that this dignified ceremony of remembrance has become yet another casualty of the culture wars but I'm not wearing something that's become a symbol of belligerent, St Georges flag waving, football hooligan English Nationalism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

EDIT: lol I just glanced at their full feed and they're definitely some kind of parody, they have to be

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I think we passed the brokebrain/parody inflection point some time back

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Katt posted:

France had to join to preserve the France-Russia-Britain entente that they depended on to balance power against Germany-Austria.

(Italics mine for emphasis)

Errm. Britain was basically shackled to France and Russia (both competitors in Africa and Central Asia, respectively) in an attempt to keep Germany from dominating Europe. Not joining the war would have made as much sense as deciding to scuttle the Royal Navy.

Edit: Or, you know, Brexit.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 9, 2018

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Katt posted:

WW1 is often portrayed as a big coincidence but the fact is that over the previous 20 something years. WW1 almost happened on several occasions and was narrowly averted. The war itself had to happen eventually.

When it did happen none of the parties wanted it to happen (except maybe Austria) but when it was a fact. Everyone had to join for various reasons (Germany had to join to preserve the Germany-Austria Alliance which they needed to balance power in Europe. Russia had to join or the monarchy would have fallen for failing to support Bosnia. France had to join to preserve the France-Russia-Britain entente that they depended on to balance power against Germany-Austria.

Captain Blackadder: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two superblocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.
Private Baldrick: But, this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?
Captain Blackadder: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.
Private Baldrick: What was that, sir?
Captain Blackadder: It was bollocks.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I know the entire account is very silly, but this legit tickled me

https://twitter.com/clickbaitrobot/status/1060978602467049472

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ I saw ITV covering that resignation over how Brexit was going to be an utter disaster. Turning for analysis to... his brother... and his dad

THEY'RE ALL VERY PROUD

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've been playing Sniper Elite 3.

Putting a bullet through Hitler's eye never fails to raise a smile.

What did you do about his best buddy here?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kassad posted:

(Italics mine for emphasis)

Errm. Britain was basically shackled to France and Russia (both competitors in Africa and Central Asia, respectively) in an attempt to keep Germany from dominating Europe. Not joining the war would have made as much sense as deciding to scuttle the Royal Navy.

Edit: Or, you know, Brexit.

Yeah but ye old Britain had made a thing out of being non-committal on pretty much every attempted defence pact up until then.

Likewise no one was getting to/from Africa without approval of Britain anyway.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've been playing Sniper Elite 3.

Putting a bullet through Hitler's eye never fails to raise a smile.

smh you didn't go for the ball shot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

serious gaylord posted:

smh you didn't go for the ball shot.

I should say replaying.

Because of course I went for the ball shot the first time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really the best way to play sniper elite is to try and shoot everyone you meet in the balls.

Just legions of de-bollocked nazis laying around the place.

Bonus points if you go for the trick shot and pop two dudes in the nuts with one bullet.

Or as I like to call it, the "technically gay"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 9, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's literally Charlie Brooker saluting hitler in that pic if it was too subtle (or maybe everyone already knows this!!)

He got mocapped so he could snipe himself in the nads

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I really don't get why this thread has such a hate-on for cryptic crosswords.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
∆∆∆ they're try hard nonsense

Don't think I've bought a poppy since I was at school.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And this is why cryptic crosswords are the most tedious wastes of time on the entire planet.

Whose rereg is Cryptic Crossword?