Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

He resigned, and Schumer is choosing to see that as a Damascene conversion though literally not a single person in America thinks that

Yeah, but Kemp felt really bad about it - the Baileys told Chuck so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Squalid posted:

He did not. If you follow the link in his avatar its quite obvious from the context that rather than literally denying the holocaust, he was making a ham-handed analogy. He made the point badly, but what he was trying to say is obvious enough that when I see statements like this I have to assume you know they are wrong. This makes you look hypocritical, as making disingenuous arguments is typically the reason given for disliking Leon Trotsky 2012.

I would not accuse someone of denying the Holocaust if I didn't think they were denying the Holocaust. I withdraw my comment then.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

My opinion of GWB has admittedly swung from evil to well-meaning but incompetent, ineffective, misguided, and completely unaware of the realities of the country and its people. A bad president but not pure evil. I wouldn't say my opinion of him is positive, but he tried to be a good president and failed.

Like, I think GWB is capable of empathy, like he'd sit there and be able to sympathize with a parent about losing their child. Trump would just make fun of them for crying and call them an idiot liberal for asking for gun control and tell them their child didn't want to live enough or they'd be alive.

Dude he's a mass murderer who lied the country into a devastating war so his buddies could make a buck :wtf: there is no "he meant well" on deliberately fabricating a casus belli to invade a resource-rich country

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kemp resigned before the recount started.

The metaphor is a little muddled because of the shadier things Kemp did before.
Okay so he only hosed with the actual election itself, not the recounting of votes. Because he knows the fix is already in.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd never bet on FL and I live in Palm Beach

Roluth posted:

Yeah, that's better than the 55-45 I thought it was earlier. What does this do to Senate chances?

With R+2 we're looking at something like 45% for senate control in 2020. With R+3 it'll be like 10%.

These are very accurate and highly scientific numbers.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Kemp only resigned because he claimed victory. If there are enough votes for a runoff who knows what'll happen.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ryan was pro-life until a few years ago. He claims that he changed his mind because a woman talked to him and explained why she needed an abortion and was scared she might not be able get one.

That had apparently never happened in his life until that point.

Actually, it was 6 months after the birth of his first child, which he said had a huge hand in the decision. And that's fair. It doesn't excuse his former position, but lets not forever punish people for eventually getting to the right answer. Obama was against gay marriage a decade ago.

Again, if that former position means he shouldn't be Speaker then whatever, but he's certainly not a Blue Dog like so many people claim.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Good thing Montana finished within the apparent designated vote counting time limit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RBG’s arrogance disgusts the nation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I thought Kemp actually recused himself from overseeing the recount or whatever's happening in GA (after stealing the election, but still).

He resigned from his position because he considered himself to have won the election, basically, it wasn't like "Oh, I can't get involved in this."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Medullah posted:

Is this something like "the signatures of supposed voters don't match the ones on file"? Because let me tell you, my signature never looks the same way twice.

This is news from yesterday, maybe it changed, but as I understand it: Arizona has a rule that signatures on absentee ballots have to match the one on file. If they don't, it doesn't get thrown out, it just takes longer to process. The Arizona GOP basically sued, claiming that all bad-signature ballots had to be processed the day of the election, but they only sued the districts that contain the major urban areas of Arizona, I.E., the places democrats will be.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Trump can't just call for a new election for the house now, right?

I feel the answer should be no, but knowing this hell world, I fear it will be he can

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd never bet on FL and I live in Palm Beach

With R+2 we're looking at something like 45% for senate control in 2020. With R+3 it'll be like 10%.

These are very accurate and highly scientific numbers.

At +2 I'm comfortable with 55% (again, highly scientific) to account for increased turnout due to Trump and leeway made against gerrymandering with our governor pick-ups.

If we're lucky enough for the economy to take a poo poo before then (lol) we could be looking at a more favorable figure.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roluth posted:

Yeah, that's better than the 55-45 I thought it was earlier. What does this do to Senate chances?

So you start off at 54-46 (assuming you lose Alabama, which seems likely but stranger things have happened). There are no other obvious Democratic losses (someone could always blow a race, but you're not penciling in any other incumbent as likely to lose). You need to win 4 seats, and the Presidency, to get a majority.

In 2020, the following are reasonable to hope to win:

Maine
North Carolina
Arizona (McCain's old seat)
Colorado

That gets you the Senate, but with no room for error. The next level of long-shots, which you probably don't win absent a really strong candidate and/or a recession are:

Georgia
Iowa
Alabama (well, you hope not to lose it)
Montana
Kentucky (this probably shouldn't even be on this list, honestly, you need a really good candidate who I don't think exists)

There's other states that in a blue wave/Trump collapse you could target but you'd need a real 2008-style complete Republican wipeout.

So basically, taking Arizona turns 2020 into "needs at least one miracle win" to "winnable but the stars need to align". Taking Florida as well gives Dems a solid shot to take it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

If only. The whole "Notorious RBG" brand is a full-on industry now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Willo567 posted:

I feel the answer should be no, but knowing this hell world, I fear it will be he can

He can't, no, and it's not a thing he'd be likely to do at all.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I thought Kemp actually recused himself from overseeing the recount or whatever's happening in GA (after stealing the election, but still).

Georgia is about if it goes to a special election, not so much a recout (Kemp needs to fall under 50% when all ballots are counted).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Willo567 posted:

There is no legal mechanism for any such thing, and even if he/the GOP wanted to simply invent one on the spot it's not clear that they have any strong incentive to.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Willo567 posted:

No, that is not how it works.

If he tries to do that and succeeds, he's already a dictator so don't worry about it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

So you start off at 54-46 (assuming you lose Alabama, which seems likely but stranger things have happened). There are no other obvious Democratic losses (someone could always blow a race, but you're not penciling in any other incumbent as likely to lose). You need to win 4 seats, and the Presidency, to get a majority.

In 2020, the following are reasonable to hope to win:

Maine
North Carolina
Arizona (McCain's old seat)
Colorado

That gets you the Senate, but with no room for error. The next level of long-shots, which you probably don't win absent a really strong candidate and/or a recession are:

Georgia
Iowa
Alabama (well, you hope not to lose it)
Montana
Kentucky (this probably shouldn't even be on this list, honestly, you need a really good candidate who I don't think exists)

There's other states that in a blue wave/Trump collapse you could target but you'd need a real 2008-style complete Republican wipeout.

So basically, taking Arizona turns 2020 into "needs at least one miracle win" to "winnable but the stars need to align". Taking Florida as well gives Dems a solid shot to take it.

What if Gabby Giffords ran in AZ? Or is she done with political office?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

evilweasel posted:

Georgia is about if it goes to a special election, not so much a recout (Kemp needs to fall under 50% when all ballots are counted).

Where's he at now? Last I saw was 50.023%

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Willo567 posted:

He cannot, no. Elections are administrated by state governments so he can't really make them do poo poo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kemp resigned because he was being sued over it and was going to lose anyways

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willo567 posted:

There are no provisions for a re-do of elections pretty much no matter what happens at any level of the American election system. You'd need an unprecedented court order, which people did not get even when in Virginia they proved that the number of people wrongly given a ballot that didn't let them vote in the correct race (apparently by mistake, but nobody knows as the person responsible died) exceeded the margin of victory in that race (e.g., to pick numbers out of thin air rather than look them up, 1000 people got given the wrong ballot (and did not vote in the race they should have, and the winner in that race won by 100, which is almost as clean an argument for a redo of an election as you can get).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nonsense posted:

i know one-liner bad takes is your thing but this is exceptionally bad

also a total non sequitur

Majorian posted:

If only. The whole "Notorious RBG" brand is a full-on industry now.

good, she and sotomayor in particular both own, and it also makes me happy when random morons low-info voters learn literally anything about the supreme court

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

There are no provisions for a re-do of elections pretty much no matter what happens at any level of the American election system. You'd need an unprecedented court order, which people did not get even when in Virginia they proved that the number of people wrongly given a ballot that didn't let them vote in the correct race (apparently by mistake, but nobody knows as the person responsible died) exceeded the margin of victory in that race (e.g., to pick numbers out of thin air rather than look them up, 1000 people got given the wrong ballot (and did not vote in the race they should have, and the winner in that race won by 100, which is almost as clean an argument for a redo of an election as you can get).

i'm looking forward to his "Why doesn't the Constitution say something about this? AMEND!!" tweet

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even though it was inappropriate, Obama asking RBG to step down in 2013 so he could appoint another Justice was probably the right move.

Although, I understand that it sucks, is kind embarrassing, and her point that a Republican Senate wouldn't appoint someone as liberal as her, she still should have taken it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

good, she and sotomayor in particular both own, and it also makes me happy when random morons low-info voters learn literally anything about the supreme court

Ehhhh...the whole cultural appropriation angle of it really skeeves me out. That's not her fault, though, she didn't come up with it. She does own, I just really wish she had resigned when she had the chance.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Harrow posted:

He cannot, no. Elections are administrated by state governments so he can't really make them do poo poo.

Remember millennia ago when he asked for 2016 voting records from every state, and just about every governor and election commission told him to gently caress off?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Deified Data posted:

At +2 I'm comfortable with 55% (again, highly scientific) to account for increased turnout due to Trump and leeway made against gerrymandering with our governor pick-ups.

It might be because I live in Florida where hope comes to die, but Trump also increases turnout for his base too. They loving love him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mahoning posted:

What if Gabby Giffords ran in AZ? Or is she done with political office?

I don't know who they're going to run in Arizona, but given that Democrats look to have won Arizona this year with a candidate who seems basically replacement-level - but just barely - it is a winnable race but not a lock. If I had to order the races in terms of most to least flippable it'd be Maine > Colorado > Arizona > North Carolina. All are winnable without needing an ideal candidate or circumstances to change, none are locks.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Even though it was inappropriate, Obama asking RBG to step down in 2013 so he could appoint another Justice was probably the right move.

Why are you bringing Obama into this at all?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

Ehhhh...the whole cultural appropriation angle of it really skeeves me out. That's not her fault, though, she didn't come up with it. She does own, I just really wish she had resigned when she had the chance.

i guess i can't entirely disagree with either of these things, but tbf it wasn't immediately obvious that the GOP was going to take the Senate before the end of Obama's presidency

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sarcastr0 posted:

Why are you responding to Leon Trotsky 2012?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Remember millennia ago when he asked for 2016 voting records from every state, and just about every governor and election commission told him to gently caress off?

Ah, yes, the special committee to investigate elections fraud, what an Infrastructure Week that was!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sarcastr0 posted:

Because Obama was the one who approached RBG and asked her to retire in 2013. She declined.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Limiting Senate losses to -2 is crazy for the map this year. The Blue Wave really was tremendous lol.

Imagine if the three conservadem losers had run actual good campaigns and not betrayed their base. Coulda picked up a seat, wouldn't that be something.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

my bony fealty posted:

Limiting Senate losses to -2 is crazy for the map this year. The Blue Wave really was tremendous lol.

Imagine if the three conservadem losers had run actual good campaigns and not betrayed their base. Coulda picked up a seat, wouldn't that be something.

Or, equally, mcCaskill could not have possibly won on any platform at all, given the state of missouri.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Because Obama was the one who approached RBG and asked her to retire in 2013. She declined.

RBG really should have taken it, she's smart enough to know that they were going to lose the senate sooner than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

I think their votes against Kavanaugh were the right move, both morally and politically, but I think that having to make a vote on Kavanaugh is pretty much what killed them. All three of them had a real shot to win if they could keep the focus on their opposition to obamacare repeal and tax cuts for the rich, but Kavanaugh drowned out their ability to do that.