Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I dunno, you can read it that way for sure, but at the time it was a credible niche. The counterpoint is that Wolverine at that time wasn't written as a master martial artist so much as a brawler who relied on his claws and regeneration to be an unstoppable murder machine. He was good at hand to hand combat, and in fact trained Storm, but came to believe that she'd outstripped him because he relied on his powers to cover for sloppy form whereas Ororo (who was depowered for several years) was functionally a baseline human who could still hang on missions with the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ahh I didn't know she was depowered for a while.

Making someone a nearly omega mutant and also Lady Shiva seemed a bit much. But finding a way to keep a popular character around is cool, and better than making her a vampire I suppose.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

- As mentioned, she beat Cyclops in single combat while depowered, with Cyclops allowed the use of his powers. She also duelled Callisto in a knife fight to the death, without the use of her powers, and came out on top. She used to be consistently written as one of the best martial artists on the team, with even Wolverine commenting that if it wasn't for his claws, he'd probably have trouble fighting her one-on-one.

Are we still counting Madelyne Pryor saying she used her powers to force Cyclops to lose during Inferno?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Are we still counting Madelyne Pryor saying she used her powers to force Cyclops to lose during Inferno?

I had honestly halfway forgotten that, but I guess that's fine. Like, she's still real good in a hand-to-hand fight, is the main thing, but this never comes up in modern stories despite retro Storm constantly getting into honour duels and melodramatic fistfights with people.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Android Blues posted:

Ororo is one of my favourite characters, but the years have not been kind to her. Every time she's gotten a solo series, it's been either incredibly dull with no grip on the inner drama of the character (most of them) or pretty good but all wrapped up in prepping her to be married to Black Panther (the flashback series from the 2000s that retconned her backstory so they knew each other as children).
Did you not enjoy the most recent series, written by Pak? I thought there were some incredibly great, humanizing elements to Storm throughout that one. Along with the great art.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest one of Claremont’s faults was that Storm was probably his favorite character and it really really shows at times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

Ororo is one of my favourite characters, but the years have not been kind to her. Every time she's gotten a solo series, it's been either incredibly dull with no grip on the inner drama of the character (most of them) or pretty good but all wrapped up in prepping her to be married to Black Panther (the flashback series from the 2000s that retconned her backstory so they knew each other as children).

Storm knowing T'Challa as children is a Claremont thing. There's a flashback story (possibly in an annual, possibly in a regular issue - I don't remember exactly) about her following the Nile on her trek from Cairo to Kenya when she meets T'Challa on the way and they foil the schemes of a nasty old Rhodesian.

Remember how that one X-Treme X-Men arc "Storm: The Arena" was going to be a Storm miniseries? It would've been weird for Storm's first solo series to be one where she spends most of it as a pit-fighter who gets dominated by gimp-suited villains whose mutant powers are giving people orgasms.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember how that one X-Treme X-Men arc "Storm: The Arena" was going to be a Storm miniseries? It would've been weird for Storm's first solo series to be one where she spends most of it as a pit-fighter who gets dominated by gimp-suited villains whose mutant powers are giving people orgasms.

How did this make it past editorial? Wasn't this also the same arc where Calisto gets her arms turned into sex tentacles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Out of all comics that is not even close to the weirdest poo poo published.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Out of all comics, of course not, but I think for one of the three main X-Men team books in 2002 (?) you could argue that it was pushing the envelope at least a little bit for what you could put in a mainstream superhero comic from a Big Two publisher. At the end of the day, this is the story that had a panel of Storm chained up naked in a dungeon with a bit between her teeth while a mutant in a leather bodice is straddling her from behind using her ability to cause pleasure so intense it becomes painful on her.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 10, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hope and vaseline posted:

How did this make it past editorial? Wasn't this also the same arc where Calisto gets her arms turned into sex tentacles

Hell, Callisto isn't even the first one to get her arms turned into sex tentacles; that happened to Jean Grey first. At the time Callisto was (IIRC) still being a supermodel who amnesiac Colossus was obsessed with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Storm also beat Callisto in single combat without using her mutant powers (She had her powers at the time, she just wasn't allowed to use them on pain of forfeit).

I honestly don't know what Callisto's mutant powers are supposed to be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Out of all comics, of course not, but I think for one of the three main X-Men team books in 2002 (?) you could argue that it was pushing the envelope at least a little bit for what you could put in a mainstream superhero comic from a Big Two publisher. At the end of the day, this is the story that had a panel of Storm chained up naked in a dungeon with a bit between her teeth while a mutant in a leather bodice is straddling her from behind using her ability to cause pleasure so intense it becomes painful on her.

How could you forget this is the same time as Chuck Austin’s crime of an x-men run. How

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Enhanced senses. They usually never come up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Enhanced senses. They usually never come up.

And she lives in a sewer by choice? The Morlocks are really badly conceived in general, given the time period they were created they should have been in a Brooklyn tenement

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

And she lives in a sewer by choice? The Morlocks are really badly conceived in general, given the time period they were created they should have been in a Brooklyn tenement

Why? They were mostly disfigured monsters and if people saw them they would be killed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skwirl posted:

If there were enough of them, why, they might found some kind of Mutant Town.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

How could you forget this is the same time as Chuck Austin’s crime of an x-men run. How

I thought that was after it; I though Joe Casey was on Uncanny then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought that was after it; I though Joe Casey was on Uncanny then.

Looking it up it came out in February 2004 at the same time as the end of Morrison’s run and it came the month after the Draco and the same time as the she hulk doing the nasty with Juggernaut

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

What makes it funnier is originally she was drawn as what might be described as a 'hard-looking woman' but got softer over the years because comics artists.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always thought '80s Callisto looked like Chrissie Hynde.

Skwirl posted:

She lives in a bunch of secret tunnels under the city that were typically just that. They probably smell better than ground-level New York does.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
http://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1061691657123319808

I never knew that Jean was such a shortarse compared to Ororo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

I never knew that Jean was such a shortarse compared to Ororo.

A lot of artists are pretty bad at drawing relative heights. The only one they're pretty good about reminding you he's a shorty is Wolverine and even that can come and go.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can buy it as Storm is supposed to be this super model statuesque goddess. Jean always seemed to be cute girl in your class/lived next door type.

Is there more than one issue of What If Magik?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Skwirl posted:

Storm also beat Callisto in single combat without using her mutant powers (She had her powers at the time, she just wasn't allowed to use them on pain of forfeit).

In fairness, Storm beat Callisto mostly because Callisto took her lightly and was toying with her, assuming that Storm was easy prey and afraid to fight all-out. Then Storm got one opening and stabbed her through the heart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Callisto knew that if Storm struck her down, she would become more powerful than Storm could possibly imagine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

delfin posted:

In fairness, Storm beat Callisto mostly because Callisto took her lightly and was toying with her, assuming that Storm was easy prey and afraid to fight all-out. Then Storm got one opening and stabbed her through the heart.

So Storm lured her foe into a false sense of security and capitalized on it. She should lead an X-Men team.

I forgot she stabbed her in the loving heart how loving :black101: is that?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The ComiXology version of today’s Uncanny X-Men #1 is ridiculous.
289 pages. You get the issue and some prologue shorts (I guess these also come in the physical one to justify the $8 cover price?) then a script of the comic, every page of the issue again without text, and then again without colouring, variant covers, and the covers for the next nine issues.
It says it’s the Digital Deluxe version, and I guess that’d be fine if there was also a much cheaper regular version without the fluff, but there isn’t.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, it's the same price as the physical copy. Still dumb, but it's not like you're paying more by going digital.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Thanks for the recommendations for All New Wolverine. Crushed through it over the last few days. It's great. Especially Gabby. She's a character that in a less skilled writer's hands I would hate but I love her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dreqqus posted:

Thanks for the recommendations for All New Wolverine. Crushed through it over the last few days. It's great. Especially Gabby. She's a character that in a less skilled writer's hands I would hate but I love her.

My LCS got a new manager and she mostly read indie comics and she was asking me for some Marvel stuff to recomend, and I told her AN Wolverine. She told me today she had read everything up to the most recent x-23 issue. That was a week ago.

I did have to explain to her about who the Cockoos were though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

My LCS got a new manager and she mostly read indie comics and she was asking me for some Marvel stuff to recomend, and I told her AN Wolverine. She told me today she had read everything up to the most recent x-23 issue. That was a week ago.

I did have to explain to her about who the Cockoos were though.

One hopes you brought your handy portable whiteboard with you.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Reading Uncanny X-Men #1 felt like reading four different books that you've already read before

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair that’s the most X-men experience possible

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At the end of the digital edition there were sketches of stuff presumably to come in the series (some tribal versions of Archangel and Magneto and a Jesus looking X-Man) which really should have popped in in the first issue, cause I found it practically hook-less.

edit: Welp, we just learned that UXM 1-10 is leading to an Age of Apocalypse type thing with those characters. Does anyone think it's no fun to learn about future events before the comics we're reading even start to set them up?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 15, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

BrianWilly posted:

Reading Uncanny X-Men #1 felt like reading four different books that you've already read before

It was almost a waste of a book. Almost, cause I liked the scene where Laura is called out for how unsanitary eating with her claws is, but why should she give a poo poo, the speed-healing isn't only for stab wounds and the like. And also the totally legitimate scene of Anole and Armor complaining about how after all these years (it's been... definitely over 10 years in real life, right?) that their cohort are permanent trainees. It to this day still bugs me that (I think it was) Wolverine and the X-Men had a scene of them finally graduating, which was promptly ignored by everyone and to this day they're always still shown in classroom scenes. Let them be the New New Mutants, goddamnit. I like to think that's why Laura left them when she did- something in her brain said "down this path lies permanent school".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looks like Rosenberg gets UXM when it goes monthly.
https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1063082661336567809

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Larocca is awful though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Has Rosenberg gotten any better? I remember being very bleh at his Secret Warriors run and the Phoenix mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, Wolverine is the Phoenix?

Are you loving with me here?