Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eren's decision to commit to global genocide is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kerning Chameleon posted:

lol if you don't see eren as he is now is the logical conclusion to his character arc since chapter loving one

Maybe you can argue he never had a chance since he was literally conceived with the explicit purpose to be a weapon aimed at the Eldians' racial enemies, but at some point you have to admit he himself made a wrong choice or two somewhere along the way due to his tragic flaw, or else you just deny he ever had any agency as a person at all.

So, does he have any agency as a person at all, or is he as he is now, "the logical conclusion to his character arc since chapter loving one?"

Then again, with recent developments, he literally might not have agency!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we've spent a lot of time orbiting around eren hearing other people discuss what they think his goals are, so I doubt we actually have an accurate view of what he thinks or is planning. I'm very curious about what's going on in his head at this point

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

So, does he have any agency as a person at all, or is he as he is now, "the logical conclusion to his character arc since chapter loving one?"

Then again, with recent developments, he literally might not have agency!

If he truly was ever in control of his own faculties, then yes, he had quite a few chances to turn off the path that leads to him triggering national holocaust. In my mind, his last chance was when he looked over the sea for the first time. Knowing the people he threatened were human, knowing most of them were innocent victims of a repressive system and generations of propaganda, having already actively participated in the mercy kill genocide of his fellow Eldians-as-Titans, knowing all that, he still chose "if it's us or them, I guess I gotta do a whole genocide then."

He may have been weary, or remorseful, or whatever earns sympathy points with you, but he still chose to perpetuate genocide that day. And if he isn't in control of his faculties? Then that means he's just a puppet, and has been since the day his father forced the Titan powers onto him.

Which means he's not really human anymore, is he? Not in the ways that matter, anyway.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 9, 2018

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

So I may be having trouble following due to the translations, but are we supposed to assume that all the higher ups have been drinking contaminated wine for a while now or was that specific bottle being saved for a special occasion?

I know zeke can activate people with his spinal fluid at will, but what we saw at the start of the Marley arc seemed to imply that his spinal fluid put them in a mildly catatonic state, so I have trouble believing a bunch of higher ups are walking talking titan bombs that have no idea.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JahRoo posted:

So I may be having trouble following due to the translations, but are we supposed to assume that all the higher ups have been drinking contaminated wine for a while now or was that specific bottle being saved for a special occasion?

I know zeke can activate people with his spinal fluid at will, but what we saw at the start of the Marley arc seemed to imply that his spinal fluid put them in a mildly catatonic state, so I have trouble believing a bunch of higher ups are walking talking titan bombs that have no idea.

we don't know either way but it seems like a reasonable conclusion to make

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

He may have been weary, or remorseful, or whatever earns sympathy points with you, but he still chose to perpetuate genocide that day.

Attacking a nation's military leadership in response to a declaration of war is not perpetuating a genocide.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

Attacking a nation's military leadership in response to a declaration of war is not perpetuating a genocide.

Let it be known that Eren Jaeger is going to open up the walls, unleash the wall titans, and be personally responsible for the deaths of billions of humans. And Schwarzwald is going to defend it when it happens.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Let it be known that Eren Jaeger is going to open up the walls, unleash the wall titans, and be personally responsible for the deaths of billions of humans.

gently caress yeah, it's gonna own

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

U-DO Burger posted:

gently caress yeah, it's gonna own

I mean, I totally agree, but some folks itt seem to take offense at the idea of the protagonists of this manga doing that, for some reason.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Let it be known that Eren Jaeger is going to open up the walls, unleash the wall titans, and be personally responsible for the deaths of billions of humans. And Schwarzwald is going to defend it when it happens.

My dude, you literally defended that exact course of action like twelve posts ago. Don't lose your head just because I suggest that not all violent actions are on the level of "genocide."

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 9, 2018

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

JahRoo posted:

This was my thought too.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

My dude, you literally defended that exact course of action like twelve posts ago. Don't lose your head just because I suggest that not all violent actions are on the level of "genocide."

I approve of it because I hate all the characters in this manga, have always thought they were horrible people, and want them to go extinct as punishment for it.

You, obviously, have a more sympathetic opinion towards them, and thus the onus is on you to defend them whenever they commit atrocities. To me, it's just confirmation of what I always knew about who they really are as characters. You're the one who has to square the moral circle here to maintain your faith in the protagonists as "good people".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I approve of it because I hate all the characters in this manga, have always thought they were horrible people, and want them to go extinct as punishment for it.

You, obviously, have a more sympathetic opinion towards them, and thus the onus is on you to defend them whenever they commit atrocities. To me, it's just confirmation of what I always knew about who they really are as characters. You're the one who has to square the moral circle here to maintain your faith in the protagonists as "good people".

I think you're projecting a bit. Which characters have I been describing as good?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

for the love of god don't actually engage with kerning

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kerning is a horrendous d&d poster who is bringing his longing for death into the aot thread, it is best to not respond to his doomsaying.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

JahRoo posted:

I think those people were possibly drugged, maybe half aware of what was going to happen, or possibly 'redundant' people suffering from mental illness or war trauma.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

:yikes:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Piriwi posted:

I think those people were possibly drugged, maybe half aware of what was going to happen, or possibly 'redundant' people suffering from mental illness or war trauma.

They already had that slack-jaw titan face going on pre-transformation, and they were in strait jackets weren't they?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

U-DO Burger posted:

Eren's decision to commit to global genocide is cool and good

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

They already had that slack-jaw titan face going on pre-transformation, and they were in strait jackets weren't they?

Yeah, I'm thinking that they kinda blundered into figuring out part of the plot. Gabi is on pace to be a bigger fuckup than early Eren at this rate

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

kerwyn posted:

Gabi is on pace to be a bigger fuckup than early Eren at this rate

I can't wait. When Gabi turns into a Titan, can we Titanize a Horse to bite her stupid head again.

EDIT: GET CARTMAN!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If Reiner is predestined to be eaten by Falco (or Gabi) because he had a future-memory, does that mean that he, Pieck and probably Porco are about to bust into the restaurant right now?

Also I don't give a gently caress about what happens to the world. All that matters to me is that by the time this is over, Historia eats Porco and inherits Jaws so that she and Ymir can be together in some form.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 11, 2018

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Hopefully no one eats Pieck and she just dies naturally, the cart titan is loving ugly and sucks

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If Reiner is predestined to be eaten by Falco (or Gabi) because he had a future-memory, does that mean that he, Pieck and probably Porco are about to bust into the restaurant right now?

Also I don't give a gently caress about what happens to the world. All that matters to me is that by the time this is over, Historia eats Porco and inherits Jaws so that she and Ymir can be together in some form.

Wait, what future memory?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Aumanor posted:

Wait, what future memory?

I don’t even recall where it was myself but, but didn’t someone just mention that Reiner had a “memory” or Gabi or Falco or something which would indicate one of them will eat him, like how Eren Krueger said something about Mikasa and Armin?

I’d link back to it but I’m on mobile, forgive me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JahRoo posted:

Page 21 answers your first question.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I think Eren is totally picking Falco to get his attacker titan. Falco helped Eren up, fixed his devil badge, and he talked with him a hospital. Owl simply decided that Eren's father should have the attacker titan because he left the walled village.

I like this page back when Eren is talking with Reiner after the time skip. I think it also hows how Eren feels about Falco's nature.

And I think Eren will either tell Reiner to decide his successor or heavily imply Gabi.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 12, 2018

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don’t even recall where it was myself but, but didn’t someone just mention that Reiner had a “memory” or Gabi or Falco or something which would indicate one of them will eat him, like how Eren Krueger said something about Mikasa and Armin?

I’d link back to it but I’m on mobile, forgive me.

I asked about this due to the end of chapter 107. Gabi and Falco escape prison, then Reiner wakes up from a bad dream, claims he heard the voices of Gabi and Falco and asks where they are.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought he was just referring to Falco and Gabi shouting out for him, which is what got him to get back up and save the Jaw Titan dude from Eren.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Page 21 answers your first question.

But it's not clear whether the "wine that's only drunk by the higher ups" has always been contaminated or if they intentionally contaminated that type of wine this one time, knowing who would be drinking it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://goboiano.com/attack-on-titan-manga-is-entering-its-final-arc/

quote:

The Attack on Titan manga is marching towards its conclusion as Hajime Isayama begins writing the final arc.

TBS launched a teaser video for the newest Jounetsu Tairiku weekly program, which will talk about Attack on Titan. Isayama will make an appearance, which will include news about the manga’s final arc.

Isayama and his editor Shintarou Kawakubo have publically laid-out the manga’s roadmap in the past. In 2014, they both stated that Attack on Titan would end in three to four years, making the beginning of the final arc in line with their predictions.

Isayama hasn’t hinted to what his post-Attack on Titan career will look like. His output since 2006 has all been related to the hit series, but he did write a one-shot titled The Killing Pawn in 2014.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Man what a wild ride. Can't believe how much has gone on over the years.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Keep in mind the final arc could go for years.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This definitely feels like the final arc, but I think right before Eren starts the Rumbling he'll trigger a multi-chapter flashback arc of Ymir Fritz's life and the history of Eldia. There's still too many questions that noone alive can answer, like Ackermans and the ultimate 'to you in 2000 years' mystery.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

This definitely feels like the final arc, but I think right before Eren starts the Rumbling he'll trigger a multi-chapter flashback arc of Ymir Fritz's life and the history of Eldia. There's still too many questions that noone alive can answer, like Ackermans and the ultimate 'to you in 2000 years' mystery.
I'm hedging my bets on the answer to "To you, in 2000 years" being what the manga will end on. Whether it'll be a few pages or a full chapter, that is still up in the air.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

still waiting on chekhov's wall titans

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Um, major spoilers for the final panel of the manga? That Isayama tv special aired, and it shows his preliminary sketch for the final panel along with some text.

https://kotaku.com/see-how-the-attack-on-titan-manga-will-end-1830531715

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teek posted:

Um, major spoilers for the final panel of the manga? That Isayama tv special aired, and it shows his preliminary sketch for the final panel along with some text.

Basically.......this is all I hear and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Teek posted:

So yeah whoever said this was going to end with Mikasa/one person and a baby good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Historia is going to eat all of the titans and become the real Ymir once again

Then we'll get an inspiring speech about how Eldia was really inside all of us all along, and then we'll get cake