Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Remember when Colbert told Geroge W. Bush that he sucked rear end at his job, basically right to his face?
Remember how he spent the next 15 years pissing away any and all goodwill from that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Vargo posted:

Remember when Colbert told Geroge W. Bush that he sucked rear end at his job, basically right to his face?
Remember how he spent the next 15 years pissing away any and all goodwill from that?

The Colbert Report was pretty good when he wasn’t trotting out Kissinger’s old rear end

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We've all seen too many body bags and ball sacks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In any other movie, Ray Winston's speech in Noah when the rain starts would be a hero's speech to rouse his troops for the battle against the evil Englishmen or something, here it's a mad king basically summarizing exactly why God sends the deluge. It's a giant gently caress you to action hero speeches and it's awesome.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Colbert Report was pretty good when he wasn’t trotting out Kissinger’s old rear end

Thanks for reminding me that Kissinger's still alive, jerk!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AZ GOP is trying to suppress mail in votes because Sinema is winning right now by a percent.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Grendels Dad posted:

In any other movie, Ray Winston's speech in Noah when the rain starts would be a hero's speech to rouse his troops for the battle against the evil Englishmen or something, here it's a mad king basically summarizing exactly why God sends the deluge. It's a giant gently caress you to action hero speeches and it's awesome.

I didn't really like Noah that much but I will periodically rewatch the genesis sequence and it always manages to bring me to tears, it's beautiful and inspiring.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Just something to look forward to

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I didn't really like Noah that much but I will periodically rewatch the genesis sequence and it always manages to bring me to tears, it's beautiful and inspiring.

I have shown that sequence to my fifth-graders, ninth-graders and my upper courses in Religious Education, they all loved it. Got some kids hype for Lord of the Lords.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

AZ GOP is trying to suppress mail in votes because Sinema is winning right now by a percent.

Lol it’s literally gonna come down to how many votes get counted before the Supreme Court shuts it down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The reason Top Gun 2 was delayed by a year was so Cruise could learn how to actually fly fighter jets.

The man is insane.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Timby posted:

The reason Top Gun 2 was delayed by a year was so Cruise could learn how to actually fly fighter jets.

The man is insane.

what the gently caress

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Talk poo poo about Scientology as much as you want, but it’s definitely helped a certified madman do crazy poo poo for movies. Totally worth all the destruction and financial ruin.

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe
"Feeding monsters just makes more monsters" is the kind of banal, invented truism that Colbert would have used on his show ten years ago, except then it would have been the set-up to a joke.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Lol it’s literally gonna come down to how many votes get counted before the Supreme Court shuts it down.

The trial is going on right now in Superior Court. The Republicans are being very bitchy right now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Remember when, at the height of their influence, both Colbert and Stewart held a literal "both extremes are equal and maybe the truth is in the middle" rally? That sure was a giant embaressing waste of everybody's time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard Colbert is a Catholic.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Remember when Colbert said in an interview “if Sean Spicer apologizes publicly then we’ll forgive him publicly, but if he only apologizes privately we should only forgive him privately?”

Remember when he turned around and had Sean Spicer on stage at the Emmys despite no apology

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Timby posted:

The man is insane.

I love this, but this man will end up dying trying to please his audience

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Honest Thief posted:

I love this, but this man will end up dying trying to please his audience

Lol if you think he's doing this for the audience.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Maybe he can’t get out of Scientology so he’s trying to kill himself in increasingly improbable ways but accidentally keeps surviving. Like in that movie Short Time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maybe he wanted to learn how to fly a fighter jet so he could fly a fighter jet.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Timby posted:

The man is insane.

Is Val Kilmer still set to be in it? I saw an interview with him from a few months ago and he seemed to be doing a little better than a year ago, but I still feel like it'd be pretty shameful to ask him to act.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe he wanted to learn how to fly a fighter jet so he could fly a fighter jet.

Yeah I feel like Cruise just throws his weight around so he can do things that are cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost Blue posted:

Is Val Kilmer still set to be in it? I saw an interview with him from a few months ago and he seemed to be doing a little better than a year ago, but I still feel like it'd be pretty shameful to ask him to act.

Yeah, he's confirmed and he's been seen on-set. They're the only two returning cast members from the original (which makes sense, since Goose is dead, and Viper, Jester and James Tolkan's character all would have hit mandatory retirement).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ChickenMedium posted:

When we're all starving to death in a Mad Max-ian hellscape future, you're really going to wish you'd eaten that burger.

I'll be eating it tomorrow. Live blogging and taking pics of it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Noah is one of my favorite movies. It feels mythic in a tremendous way and those sequences make the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1060900309332123654?s=19

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's a sad state of affairs when books selling is news.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Lurdiak posted:

https://twitter.com/lyzl/status/1060945416987000835

We really need to stop thinking these old celebrities are on our side.

Stephen Colbert is nothing but a boring neo-liberal panderer who sanded off what little edge he had when we rook over for Letterman. He should have stayed on Comedy Central.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I already knew this but I'm still surprised and can't believe it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard Colbert is a Catholic.

It's not a secret, he's always been open about this.

axelblaze posted:

Remember when, at the height of their influence, both Colbert and Stewart held a literal "both extremes are equal and maybe the truth is in the middle" rally? That sure was a giant embaressing waste of everybody's time.

Jon Stewart using a whole episode of the Daily Show to dunk on Glenn Beck makes up for that.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a sad state of affairs when books selling is news.

Take a closer look at that picture.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, poo poo, the ring

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Am I a bad person for thinking that dressing up like a Lolita is a) not a real life style b) severely dumb and c) kinda racist since it’s almost exclusively white girls who do it?

In other news I need to delete my Facebook

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Am I a bad person for thinking that dressing up like a Lolita is a) not a real life style b) severely dumb and c) kinda racist since it’s almost exclusively white girls who do it?

Nope.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Never read the book, but wasn't Lolita white? What's racist?

edit: it's bad because normalizing pedophilia is bad

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Never read the book, but wasn't Lolita white? What's racist?

edit: it's bad because normalizing pedophilia is bad

He's talking about a specific type of cosplay.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think that Luzhin cosplayers are appropriating slavic culture.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh, poo poo, the ring

New thread title plz

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Does lolita fashion have all that much to do with Nabokov's book? The etymology is Japanese and it seems to have more to do with Victorian dollhouse aesthetics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Coffee And Pie posted:

Kamikaze Girls seems like a pretty good refutation of all three points

on that note, why is the only decent quality Kamikaze Girls trailer on Youtube the Spanish Language one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzYZKFFI0Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does lolita fashion have all that much to do with Nabokov's book? The etymology is Japanese and it seems to have more to do with Victorian dollhouse aesthetics.

All of it is inspired by close recreations of the character's costumes in the novel that Nabokov describes in painstaking and elaborate detail. He never properly finished the book because he got stuck on the last outfit, the wedding dress that incorporates Dickens's literary oeuvre in its folds.