Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They are actually fishelves, and they are canon now

Vampirates are so fun that I'm 100% in favour of just saying gently caress it and making nautical versions of every race instead of finishing the official WHFB roster.

Aranessa also has a line about them in game oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I honestly find myself mostly preferring the continual use of zombie mobs instead of replacing them with a full crab line. Crabs are dead hard but lose absolutely horribly to dedicated anti-large and I actually need to care if they die, whereas I can lose my entire zombie mob frontline in every single battle and simply not give one millionth of a poo poo because there's always a shitpile of them in raise dead no matter the scale of the battle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's just that it's easier to keep your gunswarm shooting when using crabs. Not enough zombies in front, they melt and your shooting gets stopped. Too many zombies in front, they block shots and waste time.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 9, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just replace all the melee zombies with more shooting zombies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I tend to semi-checkerboard my zombies out of gunpowder faction habit, so that might explain why I didn't notice as much of an LOS difference when I tried the crabline.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wonder if CA is just loving around with some of the possibly portentous imagery/writing that’s popping up on reddit or if they could be actual bits and bobs about the direction of game 3.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just replace all the melee zombies with more shooting zombies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly you can buff zombie MD to the point where gun zombies get up around the baseline of melee zombies, and it's not like melee zombies are really scoring kills in combat anyway.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

drat, I'm not sure what's going on, but I jumped back into the game after the big patch and I am getting sub-10 FPS in the tactical battles, regardless of settings. WH1 at ultra settings gets 60-80 FPS, and the WH2 overland map runs perfectly smooth. I haven't figured out why yet, but I still want to bitch about it so here I am

EDIT: Updating drivers fixed it, like it always does, and I am an idiot

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 9, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
shooting zombies on crabs shooting zombies flying so many shooting zombies

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Electronico6 posted:

Another map expansion for ME confirmed.

Has anyone else run across riddles that are just kinda wrong? I'm on the vortex map, the riddle reads something like While flora is exquisite, fauna has always been a bigger threat. I go to the spot where it zooms in, and pick the province that has the animal skins in it but... no treasure.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Whorelord posted:

Aranessa also has a line about them in game oddly enough.

Sea Elves? In very early WHFB they were a different type of Elf, and in later editions it is another name for High Elves.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Lol GOTY.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
So, what does a good stack of Vampirates look like? I've been trying to figure out whether I'm using too much or too little shooting. I've been doing fine, but I'm always happy to do better. Current 'perfect' stack looks like:

Luthor (on his dragon)
Mourngul Haunter
Vampire Fleet Captain (deeps)
3 x Depth Guard
2 x Depth Guard Polearms
4 x Swivel Guns
2 x Mournguls
2 x Rotting Leviathan
2 x Colossus
1 x Queen Bess
1 x Terrorgeist

Strategy is basically to make the enemy bunch up, then blitz them with magic and artillery. Depth Guard rarely kill much, but they're a solid line that keeps the gunners alive and firing. I don't use gunnery mobs, and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out. It's just that they consistently underperformed in the midgame so I dropped them for swivel guns. I never ended up using the crab mobs, though I'm curious about whether they manage to make up for small unit numbers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Syreens+Fog spell seems like a great way to completely shut down the enemy's ability to hit anything in melee, and has the added benefit of tanking their leadership as well.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

It definitely feels like VSea's melee damage dealers (aside from crabs) all kinda need to be babied and sat inside a clump of zombies. It has been kinda hard to really fit everything in to a stack to make things work out because of this. I guess the solution is to just put more crabs in my stacks.

Morek
Nov 23, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has anyone else run across riddles that are just kinda wrong? I'm on the vortex map, the riddle reads something like While flora is exquisite, fauna has always been a bigger threat. I go to the spot where it zooms in, and pick the province that has the animal skins in it but... no treasure.

I've been having a lot of trouble with these too, it seems like the location you need to dig is semi-specific in some way? Like not just "dig in this region", but "dig near this statue over off to the side of the region" kind of specific. Kind of irritating wasting turns trying to figure out what the internal logic for this actually is.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Morek posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble with these too, it seems like the location you need to dig is semi-specific in some way? Like not just "dig in this region", but "dig near this statue over off to the side of the region" kind of specific. Kind of irritating wasting turns trying to figure out what the internal logic for this actually is.

Ohhhhh. Gonna try to dig closer to the boars then and see if that works. Thanks for the tip.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So, what does a good stack of Vampirates look like? I've been trying to figure out whether I'm using too much or too little shooting. I've been doing fine, but I'm always happy to do better.

Currently got:

Arenessa (on foot)
Vampire with Lore of Deeps (crab)
Gunnery Wight
6x gunnery mob handgunners
Bess
Cannon
Mortar
5x crabs with zombies
Big crab
Necrofex

It's pretty mouthbreather but also pretty sick, not gonna lie

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 9, 2018

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Q is not E

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ohhhhh. Gonna try to dig closer to the boars then and see if that works. Thanks for the tip.

it's the boars. the maps all seem to refer to some small map detail, you have to look closely. like there were some maps that refer to that patch of desert that has water turned to blood.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
More observations:

I think almost all trade buildings give - 10% construction and repair riot recruitment cost on top of giving you some trade good. Many provinces have multiple trade goods which I assume means the discount stacks. So build them asap so everything else is cheaper in the province.

Getting a pirate captain hero asap and setting up a cove in a major faction capital (like lothern) is definitely the way to go. Even early on the income is worth it, and during the cool down send the hero off to another major capital to do it again .

Pick fights over sea treasure because it is a great way to lvl up your lord. Some other races can easily be in a position where their neighbors are too strong to fight and no weak enemies are trying to attack you. This makes it easy for your lord to fall behind in levels midgame.

Research corruption, public order, and other global civic things first. Vampirates can expand extremely fast but get very spread out as a result. While this isn't the only way to play them it does give you more breathing room vs dangerous enemies.

Rites seem very similar to Tomb Kings. The one to slow enemy armies sounds like a great way to chase down weak raiders in big territories.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey what's a good hero to just start with? Tirion? I'm completely now to total war it's like drip feeding kinda unhelpful tutorials. Like I get how mechanics work, but when I sent my army after some dark elves, they retreated away, it looked like I was in the dark yellow range to engage but couldn't. Next turn they ran into their city and some other friendly dudes sprinted into the settle behind me I pushed them back from and took it from me. Am I just screwed?

I tried playing as the frog man but chaos guys just made and entire 16 stack army of horse archers and kitted my spear men all battle. This is really frustrating and I just want to enjoy the game but it's making it very hard. Are there any like good getting started tips?

Tyrion, Mazdamundi, and Kroq'Gar are all good starts.

As a general rule, enemies will try not to fight you in the field, but they can't retreat forever. If you want to see if you can reach something without committing to the movement, hold the right mouse button over the destination - if the movement trail turns red, it'll require two turns of movement.

Fighting armies in friendly territory is highly recommended, as damaged units heal much better in friendly territory. You can often use the ambush stance to hide your army and lure enemies in. Even if the enemy doesn't step directly into the ambush, they'll likely be deep enough into your territory - and close enough to your hidden army - that you can take them out on your turn and still be able to heal up afterwards.

You usually have to beat an army in the field twice in one turn to truly defeat it. The major exceptions for this are if an army is hard marched, if you catch them using underways (relatively rare in the Vortex campaign, I find), or if they are fighting a defensive siege/settlement battle - an army defeated in those circumstances is simply destroyed.

Enemy armies sitting just outside walled cities are often very valuable targets. The city garrison will generally run out to join them in the field if you attack them, allowing you to soften up a city's defenders away from their walls and towers.

As Tyrion: The bolt thrower you get is a massive early advantage. Use as much of its range as you can and force the enemy to come to you. Early on, there are very few problems that can't be solved by having more archers. The phoenix's bombardment is a good way to soften up blobs of lightly armoured troops (and the AI loves to blob), though it can get shot up pretty hard if you send it out before the enemy archers/darkshards settle in to shoot at your infantry. Aside from that, it can easily rear-charge enemy units and lords and chase down fleeing units. Tyrion plus the phoenix can take out enemy lords very effectively.

As Mazdamundi: As you noted, you face a lot of skirmishers early on with Mazda. Your main answers there are your solar engine (which has major line of sight issues compared to Tyrion's bolt thrower - make sure there are no bumps between it and its targets) and javelin skinks. Javelin skinks are cheap, and their firepower is withering against light armour - a few volleys from them will break off a unit of marauder horsemen. Keep them back and on the flanks while your sauruses and temple guard engage the enemy infantry, and dedicate their extremely limited ammo to the horsemen. When they're out, either have them flank the enemy infantry or just let them chase after whatever horsemen you couldn't kill - they won't catch them, but they'll keep them away from your sauruses. Fights can be long and inefficient, but you'll win. Before long, Mazdamundi can get spells like Net of Amyntok that can help a lot against skirmishers.

As Kroq'Gar: Kroq is another good lord to start as, though he also faces a lot of early ranged and skirmish enemies - and without any artillery pieces or magic, even. Javelin skinks remain very useful for taking out skaven skirmishers. Your stegadon can sometimes catch enemy ranged units - it's technically slower, but it speeds up if it gets close enough to start a charge. Just watch out for gutter runners, it can never catch those. Again, frustrating fights, but hard to lose: it may take you quite a while to rout them, but they don't really have the stopping power to kill much. Going forward, bulk up on saurus warriors - they're great brawlers, and Kroq'gar gets them super cheap.

For both lizardmen lords, you usually want to go with saurus warriors, not spearmen. There are very few large targets for them to fight early on, and later when you actually do have to fight big things, Mazda should just be running around with temple guard, anyway. Once you get access to chameleon skinks later on, they can fill the role of both skirmisher and counter-skirmisher very well, thanks to their poison darts and high missile resist.

As any race, don't be afraid to spend a turn or two bulking up on units. You can recruit just fine from a city you've just taken that turn or in the middle of friendly territory (so long as you can encamp).

John Charity Spring posted:

Turns out lizards love sudoku.
Think like a lizard that got laid off from Bioware.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 9, 2018

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
How does one go about encountering the new Old One puzzles? I haven't seen any about seven hours into a Noctilus campaign.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

How does one go about encountering the new Old One puzzles? I haven't seen any about seven hours into a Noctilus campaign.

Treasure hunt in ruins

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think Tyrion is the best starting lord by far. Tyrion alone can facetank amazing amounts of enemies, and the basic tier 1 elf archers and spearmen (and god help your foes when you get sea guard) are really solid units. Plus once you beat your initial enemy faction you’re pretty impregnable. Your good location and good basic units mean you can make a lot of mistakes and learn from them instead of just getting frustrated.

Also re: archers and solar engines, learn to know and love that there are two kinds of range: arced (bows, catapults, etc) and direct (guns, cannons, magic lasers)

Direct fire units are (almost) always better, but the utility of being able to arc shots is huge. For example, dwarf handgunners will handily outshoot dark elf crossbows even though they’re both decent-statted armour-piercing missile units with shields. But the elf crossbowmen are considered better overall because they can hide behind terrain or melee units and still unload, whereas the dwarfs need a direct line of sight.

It’s not immediately obvious since this game is not heavy on the realism, but once you know it’s happening it’s obvious which ranged fires each way.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 9, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

High Elves also have one of the most powerful economies in the game because their trade is off the chain and they can intentionally manipulate diplomacy with influence in ways that other factions can't. Ulthuan is ridiculously easy to either fully conquer/defend or turn into an Everyone Loves You power hour of alliances/confederations, and once you have Ulthuan you're richer than god and can do anything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Direct fire projectiles tend to travel much faster, making them naturally more accurate vs moving enemies. And when firing in a flat trajectory, a shot that misses its intended target has a chance to hit something behind them. Ballistic projectiles tend to hit the ground when they miss.

Ballistic projectiles got a major improvement to how they worked. Previously, you had to be firing at max range to reliably arc over allies; at closer proximity they would fire flatter trajectory that was more easily blocked by terrain or allied units. But when wh2 came out this changed; now they will lob shots regardless of distance so archers will fire in tight little arcs to hit enemies in front of allies.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think Tyrion is the best starting lord by far. Tyrion alone can facetank amazing amounts of enemies, and the basic tier 1 elf archers and spearmen (and god help your foes when you get sea guard) are really solid units. Plus once you beat your initial enemy faction you’re pretty impregnable. Your good location and good basic units mean you can make a lot of mistakes and learn from them instead of just getting frustrated.

Also re: archers and solar engines, learn to know and love that there are two kinds of range: arced (bows, catapults, etc) and direct (guns, cannons, magic lasers)

Direct fire units are (almost) always better, but the utility of being able to arc shots is huge. For example, dwarf handgunners will handily outshoot dark elf crossbows even though they’re both decent-statted armour-piercing missile units with shields. But the elf crossbowmen are considered better overall because they can hide behind terrain or melee units and still unload, whereas the dwarfs need a direct line of sight.
The major issue I had when I first started playing - and I did start with Tyrion - is that your initial dark elf enemy can fairly easily reach either of the towers from their third city of Angerrial, so whichever way you send Tyrion, you're vulnerable in one of those cities. Like I said, the ambush stance can do a lot of work there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Elves also get extremely useful hero types. Mages are similar to battle wizards but eventually get chariot mounts. Nobles can farm influence which is probably the most useful type of hero action in the game. And Lore masters are excellent melee /magic hybrids.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

Elves also get extremely useful hero types. Mages are similar to battle wizards but eventually get chariot mounts. Nobles can farm influence which is probably the most useful type of hero action in the game. And Lore masters are excellent melee /magic hybrids.

And best of all: nobles farming influence can earn you an Incendiary mage, who is, once charioted, probably the most fun single player hero.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

How do you get Harkon's spellcasting item? I'm level 30 with him right now and I still have no quest and no clue.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And best of all: nobles farming influence can earn you an Incendiary mage, who is, once charioted, probably the most fun single player hero.

Hell yeah. I had an Incendiary Life Mage paired with Tyrion in my HE campaign and that lady took names. Definitely MVP in a lot of fights.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Vargs posted:

How do you get Harkon's spellcasting item? I'm level 30 with him right now and I still have no quest and no clue.

I think quest battles might be bugged. I'm having the same issue with Noctilus.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For the pirates with the boats, can you eventually get every upgrade or do you have to pick and choose?

I'm waiting for more mods to update before diving in, but it definitely seems like I'd want something to buff up Sartosan units, like just making them share all zombie upgrades. I'm really partial to the flavor of having a faction that's mixed between the living and the dead.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Now that Tyrion can properly duel higher armor lords I feel like he might be my favorite lord in battle. His stat line is crazy, has a fun breath spell and Malhandir is so damned fast.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So, what does a good stack of Vampirates look like? I've been trying to figure out whether I'm using too much or too little shooting. I've been doing fine, but I'm always happy to do better. Current 'perfect' stack looks like:

Luthor (on his dragon)
Mourngul Haunter
Vampire Fleet Captain (deeps)
3 x Depth Guard
2 x Depth Guard Polearms
4 x Swivel Guns
2 x Mournguls
2 x Rotting Leviathan
2 x Colossus
1 x Queen Bess
1 x Terrorgeist

Strategy is basically to make the enemy bunch up, then blitz them with magic and artillery. Depth Guard rarely kill much, but they're a solid line that keeps the gunners alive and firing. I don't use gunnery mobs, and I'm wondering whether I'm missing out. It's just that they consistently underperformed in the midgame so I dropped them for swivel guns. I never ended up using the crab mobs, though I'm curious about whether they manage to make up for small unit numbers.

I have
Cylostra
Ghost paladin
4 deck gunners
4 mortars
Queen bess
Everyone else is a handgun zombie

Handgun zombies and deck gunners completely destroy and outclass everything even dwarf gunlines once they pick up a couple buffs

So far I haven't run into an army that can beat me and I just faced down two stacks of swordmasters and two dragons with tyrion at the helm

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Everyone else is a handgun zombie

This is the secret

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think quest battles might be bugged. I'm having the same issue with Noctilus.

I never had the quest for Noctilus's item fire, even after hitting level 30. Similarly, I never got one of Noctilus's supposed bonus quests for war declarations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do I need to know Warhammer stories to figure out these treasure maps? What the hell is a tear of Isha and where would they pool?