Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Truga posted:

this is the best bug

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1060777611276808192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gonna add CHOAM to my stock of human empires

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dareon posted:

Personally, I'm hoping there's room in the play space for an egalitarian/xenophile criminal syndicate. An underground hyperlane, smuggling slaves to freedom.
I'd be very surprised if there's no Underground Railroad building thatesses with skate pop reduction and immigration pressure.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

But what about robot criminals?
Formally requesting robomod option "The Clamps".

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Six unity without increasing your empire size seems like a lot. Do non-criminal megacorps get unity branch buildings too? If not, crimpires might be able to get the best unity growth out of all empire builds, which is hilarious.

(Obviously non-final numbers and all that. But getting some unity in every branch if you so decide seems like it could catapult you through traditions.)

Baronjutter posted:

A non-fanatical pacifist could still declare an ideology war on a crime empire and slowly carve out non-criminal chunks or get the whole empire to convert away from a life of crime right?

But things like being a crime-empire or shared burden aren't just ethos, they're government traits. Do ideology wars flip those too? I see Groogy's role playing in the multiplayer game and it makes me desperately wish we had the mechanics to make those sort of demands and role playing in single player. I want to demand a mega-corp institute social welfare for all people, stuff like that. And have it not always end in war, sometimes have them actually see it would be cheaper for them to just give in and accept my policy demands or switch their form of government or what ever I'm pressuring them to do. Heck, let me bribe countries into poo poo like that.

"Greetings primitive oligarchy, if you are willing to accept our cultural guidance and switch to a democracy we will aid the development of your society with 5,000 minerals up front and a 25 year research treaty" poo poo like that. And that goes double for our vassals, heck have some sort of loyalty currency you can spend to lean on a vassal to adjust their policies, government type, official ethos, ethos attraction and so on.

Mega-corp branch office mechanics seem really good for the whole diplomatic/ethical influence potential too.

Ideology wars change their authority to yours, don't they? And possibly civics now, I think there was some chatter about that based on an off-hand remark from Wiz or something like that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ciaphas posted:

What sort of world gen options do you all like, anyway? I haven't seen the endgame crises yet but I've gone ahead and spoiled myself on them, and I think I was way too far ahead of the curve. Difficult to tell what difficulty options that might have been, luck with mapgen, or what though

Medium or Large galaxies, 4 arm spiral, drastically increased starting empires (I forget the actual number, but close to the right side of the slider), maximum FE spawns, wormhole frequency decreased, gateway frequency increased, end game start year advanced to 2350 (meaning the crises can start in 2400).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like the randomized number of empires option. I set the minimum to what the default number of empires is, and the max to the max

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit crime empires seem kind of appealing actually. Might actually get more out of the DLC than I expected.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t understand how a criminal government can be a thing. Like, do they consider themselves criminals

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Staltran posted:

Six unity without increasing your empire size seems like a lot. Do non-criminal megacorps get unity branch buildings too? If not, crimpires might be able to get the best unity growth out of all empire builds, which is hilarious.

(Obviously non-final numbers and all that. But getting some unity in every branch if you so decide seems like it could catapult you through traditions.)

With you no longer being limited to a single dude working a monument/dome/grid for unity, I imagine the amount of unity you can produce has gone up significantly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t understand how a criminal government can be a thing. Like, do they consider themselves criminals

Some of them do, some of them don't, I guess. History is rich with governments who either endorse or are directly involved in illegal activities on foreign soil. Smuggling, assassinations, undermining of political powers, illegal trade in goods and humans, covert actions, exploitation of resources and what have you. Science fiction history can be even richer in that poo poo. Some governments defend it as justified because of national security or whatever, some are well aware that it's illegal as gently caress, most work under the cover of subterfuge and denial.

Hell, think of it as covert pirate states or raiding viking states. History is rich with vikings and pirates.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 9, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Can't wait to play as Fezzan (Phezzan?).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jay Rust posted:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/A_Piece_of_the_Action_(episode)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jay Rust posted:

I believe the preferred term is "capitalist"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Staltran posted:

Ideology wars change their authority to yours, don't they? And possibly civics now, I think there was some chatter about that based on an off-hand remark from Wiz or something like that.

Branch offices do increase empire size. And Megacorps have extra harsh size penalties if they go over the cap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

What is a crime organization if not a normal organization that breaks more laws?

So a space criminal syndicate is just a normal corp that doesn't respect national boundaries, which is obviously the thing that space nations are very unhappy about.

This is really the thing I like most about the expansion in that it very accurately pinpoints the distinction between nations, corporations, and criminal enterprises, which is largely the way they're run and what laws they care about.

A nation cares about its own laws and creates a set of "international laws" designed to facilitate the concept of nations. A legit corp would generally care about the laws of wherever they're working but not notions of nationality, and a crime org doesn't care about any laws.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 9, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jay Rust posted:

Russia. The government is just the biggest operation in town.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Captain Oblivious posted:

Trump. The government is just the biggest operation in town.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Another use I forgot to mention for your backline anchorage bases: resource silo. If you've got a spare building slot, it raises your energy/mineral cap by +2500 with no upkeep. You can get your cap up decently which comes in handy mid/late game sometimes.

Resource silo goes everywhere except dedicated Bastions. Late game you might replace one of them in one of your shipyards with a colossus factory, but otherwise they go in every single non-combat starbase you upgrade.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Dareon posted:

Personally, I'm hoping there's room in the play space for an egalitarian/xenophile criminal syndicate. An underground hyperlane, smuggling slaves to freedom.

Last night, my I-can't-wait-but-I-have-to perfect empire came to mind: Xenophile, Spiritualist, Egalitarian. MegaCorp, MegaChurch, Criminal Heritage.

THE CHURCH OF THE NEW REVELATION
See: Stranger in a Strange Land

The purpose of life is to have fun, to enjoy yourself! And to violently oppose any government that restricts freedom of religion, while also remembering to acknowledge and thank your corporate sponsors. And since some sinning is inevitable, it's best if the Church provides those opportunities so that your ill-spent money can be recaptured and used for a more holy purpose.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jay Rust posted:

I think the idea is that they either control the government of "their" worlds through corruption while still running them like a crime family, or their own worlds are sufficiently lawless/anarchic that there are effectively no laws to break. Note this isn't the same as having a high "crime" rate on your worlds, since crime can be thought of as people breaking your rules, and in the case of the criminal syndicate, your rules might be "pay up or take a bat to the kneecaps". Ironically, "crime" on the worlds of a criminal syndicate could be thought of as representing vigilantes like Batman; they're breaking your rules and hurting your profits.

And being basically organized crime on their worlds, they have no issue with trying to do the same to other empires' worlds, though obviously those empires are more likely to fight back.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 9, 2018

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Incidentally: when it comes to galaxy generation, I always lower hyperlane density to 0.5. I enjoy playing in defined areas with clear chokepoints.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Jay Rust posted:

http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_of_Erewhon

Basically, they'd use a front.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

But what about robot criminals?

opening this post in a new tab so i remember to do exactly loving this as soon as megacorp launches

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gonna start this (but maybe with Weak instead of Fleeting, not sure) today, with two goals

1) beeline Synthetic Ascension and get out of those gross lame bodies
2) End Xenophobia, also end Authoritarianism where possible; Spiritualists are ok but I'm sure we gonna tussle anyway. prefer wars of Ideology or Vassalization over Conquest, though

the method for #2 i leave up to what the galaxy throws at me, but as someone said last page I'd love to be able to say to empires "Look, if we fight, you're going to get your poo poo completely kicked in. Just drop the Xenophobia as a governing ethos (real ironic, yes), and I'll leave. Ok?"

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 9, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Black Griffon posted:

Incidentally: when it comes to galaxy generation, I always lower hyperlane density to 0.5. I enjoy playing in defined areas with clear chokepoints.

Lower or baseline hyperlane density, lower wormholes, increased ruined gates. I like the idea that the galaxy eventually has its "great roads" rebuilt sooner then later, and that wormholes are rare and worth fighting over.

Wish gate reactivation and construction were a tier lower 'tho. :smith:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

gonna start this (but maybe with Weak instead of Fleeting, not sure) today, with two goals

2) End Xenophobia, also end Authoritarianism where possible; Spiritualists are ok but I'm sure we gonna tussle anyway. prefer wars of Ideology or Vassalization over Conquest, though

the method for #2 i leave up to what the galaxy throws at me, but as someone said last page I'd love to be able to say to empires "Look, if we fight, you're going to get your poo poo completely kicked in. Just drop the Xenophobia as a governing ethos (real ironic, yes), and I'll leave. Ok?"
Fleeting is annoying as heck, go with weak. It's basically free points when you have mechanist. And ditch Industrious, you'll never be putting your guys on mines (that's what robots are for!).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

Fleeting is annoying as heck, go with weak. It's basically free points when you have mechanist. And ditch Industrious, you'll never be putting your guys on mines (that's what robots are for!).

Oh good catch, thanks, I'll go with Thrifty instead. That'll keep me in the black longer in my pursuit of research and materials until I can discard the flesh

(edit) Actually I might go materialist/xenophile/egalitarian instead of fanatic materialist just so I have ideological casus belli on slavers, i plan to switch gov't policy to Liberation War asap

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

What sort of world gen options do you all like, anyway? I haven't seen the endgame crises yet but I've gone ahead and spoiled myself on them, and I think I was way too far ahead of the curve. Difficult to tell what difficulty options that might have been, luck with mapgen, or what though

large or huge galaxy (huge gets very slow later on unless you have a monstrously fast processor though, at least until tiles are removed)

spiral of either type

max AIs, max fallen empires. this is a necessity to get a real challenge - the player can expand more intelligently during the exploration phase than the AI, make better decisions during anomalies, etc. so unfortunately the solution is to curtail exploration by giving every empire only their own immediate space to work with unless they war for it. half of the AIs should be advanced, but turn off advanced neighbors because that always seems to roll you up a nice overwhelming advanced purifier neighbor

2x wormhole frequency, 3x gate frequency. i like gates to be universally useful when you unlock gate activation - at 3x there are still regions of the galaxy away from the gate network, but most empires will be near at least one gate. wormholes end up as useful shortcuts in the early midgame but they don't trivialize cross-galactic travel either.

3x primitives at least
1.5x tech/unity speed

your difficulty will depend on your skill level, naturally, but if you were playing at default AI density it's hard to tell what your skill level is - anybody can out-explore the AI if there's a lot of empty space in the galaxy.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 9, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ciaphas posted:

Fleeting can be annoying, but in terms of impact I'd suggest looking at sedentary over weak. Sedentary basically costs you some energy if you relocate pops, and your dudes migrate to other planets slower. Weak costs you 5% minerals all the time, and if you're in a war before you've got robot armies you're going to have to spend more to get enough ground game.

Fanatic materialist will get you an edge on tech and upkeep costs, but nabbing eagletarian might give you some more influence gain options (and being materialist gives you an edict for +research). Being materialist also gives you the 'academic' standard of living. You can set this in your species screen, basically your dudes cost more in consumer goods, but get a research bonus.

You might also consider dropping mining guilds for corperate dominion-something. Basically it gives you +1 energy to trade hubs, the tech that gives you the building to give trade hubs +2 energy, and the ability to build colony ships with energy instead of minerals. It gives you a really nice early game boost, since even if you get a really high energy starting area you have somewhere to dump it, and you can get colonies starting without slowing your starbase/fleet building speeds.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Oh good catch, thanks, I'll go with Thrifty instead. That'll keep me in the black longer in my pursuit of research and materials until I can discard the flesh

(edit) Actually I might go materialist/xenophile/egalitarian instead of fanatic materialist just so I have ideological casus belli on slavers, i plan to switch gov't policy to Liberation War asap

I'm almost certain ideology casus belli have nothing to do with being egalitarian. As long as you're neither authoritarian nor xenophobe anyone you beat up with a ideology war goal should be unable to maintain slavery.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

At the end of the day, design a race exactly as it ought to be in your head. Maybe it'll be weaker than others, maybe stronger. Maybe you have to live with your beloved scientists and generals measuring their lives in dog years. That's the truth of life, the compromise of creation.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Staltran posted:

I'm almost certain ideology casus belli have nothing to do with being egalitarian. As long as you're neither authoritarian nor xenophobe anyone you beat up with a ideology war goal should be unable to maintain slavery.

I thought you couldn't get the Ideology CB at all unless you were diametrically opposed in at least one ethic (e.g. Authoritarianism / Egalitarianism)?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Black Griffon posted:

At the end of the day, design a race exactly as it ought to be in your head. Maybe it'll be weaker than others, maybe stronger. Maybe you have to live with your beloved scientists and generals measuring their lives in dog years. That's the truth of life, the compromise of creation.

I'm abit happier with shorter lives now that you dont get anomalies that tell you to "eat poo poo, idiot" for not being level 5.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jazerus posted:

large or huge galaxy (huge gets very slow later on unless you have a monstrously fast processor though, at least until tiles are removed)

spiral of either type

max AIs, max fallen empires. this is a necessity to get a real challenge - the player can expand more intelligently during the exploration phase than the AI, make better decisions during anomalies, etc. so unfortunately the solution is to curtail exploration by giving every empire only their own immediate space to work with unless they war for it. half of the AIs should be advanced, but turn off advanced neighbors because that always seems to roll you up a nice overwhelming advanced purifier neighbor

2x wormhole frequency, 3x gate frequency. i like gates to be universally useful when you unlock gate activation - at 3x there are still regions of the galaxy away from the gate network, but most empires will be near at least one gate. wormholes end up as useful shortcuts in the early midgame but they don't trivialize cross-galactic travel either.

3x primitives at least
1.5x tech/unity speed

your difficulty will depend on your skill level, naturally, but if you were playing at default AI density it's hard to tell what your skill level is - anybody can out-explore the AI if there's a lot of empty space in the galaxy.

thanks for this, I'll give it a shot with the empire I'm discussing. Just checking, when you say 1.5x on tech/unity, you mean the cost, right, as its shown in game? So everything takes longer?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Here's a thing I I never realized. Fixing an active sensor link with a fallen empire basically maps out all the hyperlanes for you. Very useful when expanding early in game.

Thyrork posted:

I'm abit happier with shorter lives now that you dont get anomalies that tell you to "eat poo poo, idiot" for not being level 5.

very much so, yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought they changed it so you couldn't trade a FE for sensor link.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope you can set up criminal enterprises in any government type, even Determined Exterminators or Fanatic Purifiers.

The crime is life, the sentence is death :commissar:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

thanks for this, I'll give it a shot with the empire I'm discussing. Just checking, when you say 1.5x on tech/unity, you mean the cost, right, as its shown in game? So everything takes longer?

indeed

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought they changed it so you couldn't trade a FE for sensor link.

I just did. It also "explores" the systems, and I assume that means you can do experimental jumps pretty much anywhere in the galaxy once you develop the technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What is a crime organization if not a normal organization that breaks more laws?

So a space criminal syndicate is just a normal corp that doesn't respect national boundaries, which is obviously the thing that space nations are very unhappy about.

This is really the thing I like most about the expansion in that it very accurately pinpoints the distinction between nations, corporations, and criminal enterprises, which is largely the way they're run and what laws they care about.

A nation cares about its own laws and creates a set of "international laws" designed to facilitate the concept of nations. A legit corp would generally care about the laws of wherever they're working but not notions of nationality, and a crime org doesn't care about any laws.

Gonna make a Bond villain corp with front companies everywhere. I'll have you know SCORPIUS is a legitimate business standing for Sedition, CORruption, er, Poopyhead meanies...

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 10, 2018