Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I have
Cylostra
Ghost paladin
4 deck gunners
4 mortars
Queen bess
Everyone else is a handgun zombie

Handgun zombies and deck gunners completely destroy and outclass everything even dwarf gunlines once they pick up a couple buffs

So far I haven't run into an army that can beat me and I just faced down two stacks of swordmasters and two dragons with tyrion at the helm

add one of the gunnery wights, he's a completely crazy force multiplier and isn't half bad on his lonesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do I need to know Warhammer stories to figure out these treasure maps? What the hell is a tear of Isha and where would they pool?

Yes, apparently, and despite knowing that tears of Isha are a thing from having high elves as my second preteen love after tomb kings, I had to google it

“One is thought to be hidden in the Gaen Vale, watched over by the oracles of the Everqueen. The Wood Elves of Loren are said to keep another of the Tears hidden inside the Oak of Ages,”

Pigeon lady capital or Wood Elf forest?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The maps indicate which region they can be found in. Then you have to zoom in and look around a little bit. I’m pretty sure the Isha Tears are a waterfall or something.

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008
Did the patch notes imply that some game 1 factions got new VO lines or something? Busy with work so I haven't had more than about 30 minutes to play around with the new dlc yet. If so, that's pretty rad.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Eimi posted:

For the pirates with the boats, can you eventually get every upgrade or do you have to pick and choose?

I'm waiting for more mods to update before diving in, but it definitely seems like I'd want something to buff up Sartosan units, like just making them share all zombie upgrades. I'm really partial to the flavor of having a faction that's mixed between the living and the dead.

The boats are 10 slot horde cities, and the upgrades are different level of building for them. So, no, there are more possible buildings then their are slots. You can still get quite a lot, and (at least for vortex) the campaign will probably be over before you max out your boat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Whew, starting a new campaign and trying to actually hold territory now and man is it tough. I got so used to the freedom of just maxing out my awesome floating horde boat and raiding like a nautical beastman that the drudge of having to actually hold territory and spend gold on things that aren't a new giant golden penis foremast for my boat is bowling my rear end over.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
One more thing on the map puzzles is they can be a little tricky. I had one that obviously referred to one of the bigass skull mountains but the treasure was behind it, not in front of it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, apparently, and despite knowing that tears of Isha are a thing from having high elves as my second preteen love after tomb kings, I had to google it

“One is thought to be hidden in the Gaen Vale, watched over by the oracles of the Everqueen. The Wood Elves of Loren are said to keep another of the Tears hidden inside the Oak of Ages,”

Pigeon lady capital or Wood Elf forest?

Yeah except it's supposed to be in northwest Lustria.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The maps indicate which region they can be found in. Then you have to zoom in and look around a little bit. I’m pretty sure the Isha Tears are a waterfall or something.

There's two waterfalls in the area - both of which I've dug at the top and bottom of. Ah gently caress it's a few thousand gold.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Handgun zombies and deck gunners completely destroy and outclass everything even dwarf gunlines once they pick up a couple buffs

So far I haven't run into an army that can beat me and I just faced down two stacks of swordmasters and two dragons with tyrion at the helm

Honestly, it's still early yet but glancing at some of the major youtubers doing MP videos, I'm somewhat concerned they might be a bit too powerful there too. Cylostra in particular, given she gets a huge number of fairly good summons of both line-breaking and line-holding capability along with being a main caster. Hell, even when you tie up handgunner zombies in melee it takes forever to grind through them given they're both undead (and thus unbreakable) and zombies (and thus have a huge health pool), leaving the Vampirate player time to reposition and respond. Several factions in particular I'm concerned are going to struggle to counter even their more basic builds, let alone any purpose-brought counters.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Eimi posted:

For the pirates with the boats, can you eventually get every upgrade or do you have to pick and choose?

I'm waiting for more mods to update before diving in, but it definitely seems like I'd want something to buff up Sartosan units, like just making them share all zombie upgrades. I'm really partial to the flavor of having a faction that's mixed between the living and the dead.

You have 9 slots to fit 5 recruitment buildings, 4 economy, and up to 2 unique. You have to leave out two but you can basically get everything you would want.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Eimi posted:

I had to skip 2 buildings on Harkon. One of the buildings I made doesn't seem particularly valuable though (+5% income, +10% replenishment, and some vamp corruption). And the VSea flyers are kinda crap in my experience so that's a pretty easy one to disregard as well.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Vargs posted:

I had to skip 2 buildings on Harkon. One of the buildings I made doesn't seem particularly valuable though (5% income, +10% replenishment, and some vamp corruption). And the VSea flyers are kinda crap in my experience so that's a pretty easy one to disregard as well.

I like that building just because it's great to stack +Replenishment when you're a roving pirate horde. The fewer turns you have to spend encamped the better

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah except it's supposed to be in northwest Lustria.

Dammit CA

Something about Pontus

Also, I saw someone on the official forums actually say (caps theirs) LEARN THE LORE about VSea the day before released and gently caress it was hilarious

*LEARN THE LORE CA I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY AS CYLOSTRA*

*MY IMMERRRRRRSSSSIOOOON*

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I've had a great deal of success with treasure hunting by switching to the dig stance when the lord hasn't moved at all. This may be luck, or it may be useful to others.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
trying to determine when I'd want syreens mournguls prometheans or the other big monsters, the hulks I think? Is there a breakdown anywhere?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Also starting with noctilus and getting him a Deeps caster that boosts his accuracy by 90 is the loving truth

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

I like that building just because it's great to stack +Replenishment when you're a roving pirate horde. The fewer turns you have to spend encamped the better

+replenishment stuff only works when you are inside your territory so I don't value it all that highly. Especially as a pseudo-horde faction where you are likely to be a long ways away from your own settlements. Probably not worth the building slot, especially when it's only +10%

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

trying to determine when I'd want syreens mournguls prometheans or the other big monsters, the hulks I think? Is there a breakdown anywhere?

my anecdotal experience: Prometheans are brick shithouses that you send after heavy cav, Mournguls are your all around infantry shredders, Hulks seem shittier than both and I haven't messed with Syreens yet.

The biggest problem with all of these cool monsters is that they get in the way of another Zombie Gunnery Mob in my army and that's no bueno

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gay Horney posted:

Prometheans are tanks. They don't really kill poo poo but they are rock hard and great at tying stuff up, similar to treekin. Nothing will cut through them quickly except heavy duty anti-large(think temple guard, black guard, blood knights, etc).

Mournguls are infantry shredding hellmonsters that can vanguard deploy and have stalk(invisible until near an enemy). You can use them to vanguard and eat enemy artillery, as a sneaky flanking force, or just pack them behind your zombo line and pile in. They are murderously deadly but are fragile, so make sure they're either picking on things that have no chance or are supported.

Syreens are kind of a weird niche unit. They've got mediocre combat stats but their debuff touch in conjunction with other debuffs can simply turn enemy units off entirely. I didn't use them much, but they look okay to me.

Hulks I built one unit of and I think never again. I'm not sure what role they play, since they're basically very slightly cheaper Mournguls without vanguard or stalk.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And best of all: nobles farming influence can earn you an Incendiary mage, who is, once charioted, probably the most fun single player hero.

Incendiary Handmaidens are also insanely good.

For my army, I currently am using:
Harkon
Haunter
Vampire Captain x2 (vampire, deeps)
Gunwight
Necrofex
2 polearm Depth Guards
3 deck gunners
1 mourngul
Queen Bess
2 mortars
5 gunnery mob crabs

The captains are on crabs and are each spaced about a third of the way down the line, with the gunner wight and Necrofex in the middle of it. The deck gunners hang out behind the crabs with the depth guards screening to gently caress up anything large that either gets through or tangled up in the crabs. The captains can summon tons to screen the flanks or a particularly dangerous monster, while the mournguls flank the infantry or ranged lines as needed. Harkon just fucks things up wherever. I think I went a bit too heavy in the blue line with him, but he's still drat good. And Queen Bess with two little mortar children is a lot of artillery fire. Bess herself is also pretty stellar for counter-battery fire.

It's feels really slow and reactionary, but I can't think of what I'd drop in favor of another mourngul or other, faster units.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

One more thing on the map puzzles is they can be a little tricky. I had one that obviously referred to one of the bigass skull mountains but the treasure was behind it, not in front of it.

Yeah, I had one about signs left by the ones thought lost, so I went to the Marks of the Old Ones region (which was in the radius) and over the Nazca-like gecko on the ground, no deal. Turns out it was some standing stones near the Altar of the Horned Rat.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
IMO the Syreens are another distraction/tanky option. They'll survive just about anything so long as they don't get attacked by too much magic.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Another sad thing the vamppirates bring to light is that the shipbuilding is leagues and miles better than Beastmen/Chaos/black ark Horde management due to the amount of growth you can pick up so quickly. With Beastmen/Chaos it's ages before you have enough growth to build anything worthwhile, and that's counting the bonus growth Chaos and beastmen get for razing. By turn 10, Harkon had more passive growth on his fleet than a mid-lategame chaos horde.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I hope they buff hulks and differentiate them. They look insanely awesome, but right now they are just shittier mournguls. They aren't even significantly cheaper. There is currently no reason to ever get them.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
Syreens are really solid with Cylostra as they end up with 90% phys resist.

You can throw them at anything which lacks magical attacks and they'll hold them there pretty much forever. They're also really good at taking walls if you want to go heavy on monsters and mount up your heroes.
One downside with them is that they usually end up taking a lot of damage if you auto-resolve, even against basic garrisons.

Don't know if they're worth it on the other lords as crabs fill a similar role, unless you just bring one unit for the debuff.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Hulks look like they should be tanky but the only time I've fielded them they died incredibly quickly against, like, stormvermin with swords

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the renowned ship-golem is pretty cool, although he did destroy my triple-gold deck gunners by hosing them down with his flamethrower :saddowns:

broke the silver helms they were fighting too, though

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh my god the Mourngul Haunter is amazing. I got one named Tim and no matter what I point him at he just won’t die. He has ludicrous damage resist, so he’s perfect for my powder army because he pulls half the enemy army and then I aim all my guns at him. If you haven’t tried one I highly recommend it. Him and Aranessa practically soloed a siege battle.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DeathSandwich posted:

Another sad thing the vamppirates bring to light is that the shipbuilding is leagues and miles better than Beastmen/Chaos/black ark Horde management due to the amount of growth you can pick up so quickly. With Beastmen/Chaos it's ages before you have enough growth to build anything worthwhile, and that's counting the bonus growth Chaos and beastmen get for razing. By turn 10, Harkon had more passive growth on his fleet than a mid-lategame chaos horde.

I think the settled/horde combo (and kinda sorta Norsca setup) are more fun in general than the horde factions or the settled ones, especially in vortex where you get all the cinematics and missions.

I’d pay for a dlc where everybody gets objectives and mobility ala VSea Vortex

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah, side note, basically every Coast hero/generic lord I’ve come across has an amazing name. Props to the team at CA who’s put those together.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

I dont know posted:

I hope they buff hulks and differentiate them. They look insanely awesome, but right now they are just shittier mournguls. They aren't even significantly cheaper. There is currently no reason to ever get them.

Maybe give them anti-large to complement the Mournghuls anti-infantry?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The only problem with DEAH-FAHN is that all my dudes doing magic damage means my own gunfire melts my syreens in the tarpit.

Small units of syreens make excellent tarpit units otherwise.

Also: Playing skaven has taught me to go fast and loose with my units and you should definitely take that approach here. you can just raise more to fill in the holes, For those of you wondering what the point of hulks are, think of them as upgraded bloated corpses. Their leadership is trash-can tier but they have a small unit size, can be raised from battle-fields and they won't stop dunking till they finally crumble away. The whole point of them is to drop them amongst swarms of light infantry so the tide of handgunners can drown them in a typhoon of lead. They're basically the answer to the 'too many zombies too few zombies' problem of shot blocking so long as you keep in mind that they're worthless and expendable.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Man, in my ME campaign as the Dreadfleet, I've basically just been the biggest shitlord. Going around raiding undefended settlements, establishing pirate coves everywhere and setting up +vamp buildings in those coves. I go around making GBS threads all over the place, making everything terrible and get progressively richer as I do it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dramicus posted:

Man, in my ME campaign as the Dreadfleet, I've basically just been the biggest shitlord. Going around raiding undefended settlements, establishing pirate coves everywhere and setting up +vamp buildings in those coves. I go around making GBS threads all over the place, making everything terrible and get progressively richer as I do it.

emperor of poo poo.

I felt that way about essentially kneecapping mazda monday because he wouldn't just let me have skeggi. Watching him get swarmed by rats orcs and dark elves while I comfortably control the entire coast around hexoatl made me feel bad for the obese prick.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

emperor of poo poo.

I felt that way about essentially kneecapping mazda monday because he wouldn't just let me have skeggi. Watching him get swarmed by rats orcs and dark elves while I comfortably control the entire coast around hexoatl made me feel bad for the obese prick.

I think I've caused some kind of cascade event in Ulthuan. I spent a lot of time there setting up coves in each city and generally causing havoc. Now most of the island is at 60% vampiric corruption and Tyrion is running around trying to kill off undead armies that keep spawning. And it's all making me rich as hell. I'm going to head to the old world and just gently caress up the entire coast there too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Am I the only francophone hamsmeister here? Up in actual beautiful language land we all knew Cylostra would at least TRY to pronounce her own name properly instead of going by “Dire Fin”

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
to whoever asked about good starter lords: i'd actually recommend against kroq-gar because so much of his early game is trying to shepherd around units into spots where they'll do the most damage once they start rampaging and then twiddling your thumbs; so while he's strong he doesn't really teach you the game that well

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I think I've caused some kind of cascade event in Ulthuan. I spent a lot of time there setting up coves in each city and generally causing havoc. Now most of the island is at 60% vampiric corruption and Tyrion is running around trying to kill off undead armies that keep spawning. And it's all making me rich as hell. I'm going to head to the old world and just gently caress up the entire coast there too.

I'm missing something, how does it generate plunder for you when there's vampire uprisings? I'm guessing there's a line hidden somewhere that I missed saying something about uprisings caused by the corruption cove give all plunder to you?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chakan posted:

I'm missing something, how does it generate plunder for you when there's vampire uprisings? I'm guessing there's a line hidden somewhere that I missed saying something about uprisings caused by the corruption cove give all plunder to you?

The coves cause the uprisings and generate money at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chakan posted:

It doesn't. The only way to get money out of them is using the Picaroon’s or the Smuggler's Cove. The uprisings are a fun way to keep an annoying neighbour occupied but don't actually earn you anything.