Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

For what its worth, I just replaced my first generation Corsair H100 for a D15 and am very satisfied with it. Also, you're supposed to replace AIOs when the warranty expires. I did not know this until last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

orange juche posted:

Avoid the Maximus XI Hero, they cheaped the gently caress out on power delivery. It was mentioned upthread a ways but the Maximus XI hero is a budget board for a premium price when it comes to power phases and quality VRMs.

Asus is not a good pick this cycle tbh.

I feel kind of like an idiot but I'm not sure what you mean by power phases and quality VRMs, is anyone able to explain what they are, how ASUS cheaped out and under what circumstances this would matter?

I'm not planning on an insane overclock or anything as I think I'm going to get that Noctura D15S as my cooler which seems like it's not meant for more than "idle tinkering" levels of overclocking.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The NH-D15 is badass and is among the best of the best. It is well beyond "idle tinkering levels of overclocking". To be fair, you don't need to be a super overclocker to get one. If you are big into silence while also cooling well, it is an excellent purchase. That is why I have one.

That said, noctua is a premium brand, and is priced as such. You can go with competitors and get similar performance for less money if you are okay with a little more noise.

Noctua should have new CPU coolers out next year too, with their nf-a12x25 generation fans and the occasional extra heatpipe. They showed some of the stuff off at computex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btP1LzbwYB4

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 9, 2018

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

axeil posted:

I feel kind of like an idiot but I'm not sure what you mean by power phases and quality VRMs, is anyone able to explain what they are, how ASUS cheaped out and under what circumstances this would matter?

I'm not planning on an insane overclock or anything as I think I'm going to get that Noctura D15S as my cooler which seems like it's not meant for more than "idle tinkering" levels of overclocking.

It's not relevant to you other than you might be paying a premium for stuff that should be "better".

VRM/power phases are things that overclockers care about because it allows CPU to run faster at lower power usage because the signal is cleaner. ASUS chose an alternative (and cheaper) approach to their VRM setups this cycle and people are mad because it's not as overbuilt and overkill as it should be. (what the competitors do at a similar price)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

axeil posted:

Modern CPUs use a lot of power when under full load - on the order of 150W or more. This power needs to be delivered at very low voltages though, around 1 to 1.5v. The power supply unit in the computer provides most of its power at 12v, so to transform that down to a voltage the CPU can actually use, the motherboard has a Voltage Regulation Module that does this. For a number of reasons it would be impractical to have a single component that does this, so a VRM typically consists of anywhere between 4 and 16 "phases", where the phases take turns to deliver power (typically each phase turns on and off a few hundred thousand times per second). There are certain overclocking benefits to having many phases; most importantly the voltage tends to be more stable, which can also make the CPU more stable when operating at high frequencies.

Like any voltage converter, VRM's are not perfectly efficient and when you push a lot of power through them a small part of that energy will be wasted and lost as heat. On cheap motherboards with cheap components, underdimensioned power delivery in general and poor heatsinks, the VRM can end up overheating when you're doing heavy CPU workloads. Most boards have overtemperature and overcurrent protection on the VRM these days, so what will happen if you overheat or push too much power is that the VRM will turn itself off and the computer instantly shuts down. High temperatures are also bad for component lifetimes so if you run hot for a few years the board may end up dying prematurely.

If you're not a serious overclocker, all this means is that if you buy a high end CPU you shouldn't cheap out too much on the motherboard to avoid overheating. You don't need extreme top end, just something decent. On Z370 the Asrock Z370 Extreme4 was generally regarded as a great board for this reason because it had a VRM good enough for almost everyone and was relatively cheap for what it was at $150. On Z390 there is not yet any consensus on a good and reasonably priced mid-range board to recommend, unfortunately. As I mentioned earlier though I think the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite looks really good for its price ($180 or so). To get the same kind of quality from Asus you need to pay almost a hundred bucks more.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 9, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hi everyone. Since you all saved me from wasting money on a friend's mining machine a couple months ago, I've decided to pretty much go with the "SA Performance Gamer." Let me know if I hosed anything up before I pull the trigger. I basically just picked the cooler from the link in the OP cause it was rated well. I'm also curious if there are any caveats to this 1070 since it seems pretty cheap.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($61.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Walmart)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1055.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-09 18:08 EST-0500

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
2080ti cards are never going to get any cheaper are they? I used to just say 'gently caress it' when it came to buying the best card at the time but $1400 is .... something else

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ranter posted:

2080ti cards are never going to get any cheaper are they? I used to just say 'gently caress it' when it came to buying the best card at the time but $1400 is .... something else

No, they are likely not to get any cheaper. The Tensor Core in the 2070/2080/2080ti is loving massive, and an absolute assload of silicon. Yields are low and prices are high due to the complexity of the GPU. Add to this that there's actually not anything on the market (yet) that even justifies the main function of the GPU.

There's just no value in it right now, a 1080ti is straight up the better buy right now, even if the price is back up over MSRP due to the supply drying up.

I say this as a person who bought a 2080, it isn't worth it right now, and won't be worth it for quite some time.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
No point upgrading my 980ti then.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ranter posted:

No point upgrading my 980ti then.

What it would do would be get you from ~40-45FPS at max settings in ultrawide 1440p games, to ~60-75fps. There's still a lot of life left in 980ti's, too much to upgrade right now at this time.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fray posted:

Hi everyone. Since you all saved me from wasting money on a friend's mining machine a couple months ago, I've decided to pretty much go with the "SA Performance Gamer." Let me know if I hosed anything up before I pull the trigger. I basically just picked the cooler from the link in the OP cause it was rated well. I'm also curious if there are any caveats to this 1070 since it seems pretty cheap.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($61.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Walmart)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1055.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-09 18:08 EST-0500

It might be worth paying an extra :10bux: for the Z390 version of the ASRock Pro4, if only for the two gen 2 USB ports (one A and one C, unfortunately the headers are all still gen 1). The Pro4 isn't a very good overclocking board... but nobody makes a micro ATX board with good VRM.

Also, ADATA's NVMe 480Gb drive is currently $110, so might be worth considering over the 860.

The FTW 1070 is a good card, no worries there. If you're really looking to save money, used EVGA twin-fan 1070s are closer to $220, but the oldest will be over 2 years old. You'd want to ask sellers for the ship date (first four numbers of the serial) to see how much of the three-year transferable warranty is remaining.

E: You might also consider a Ryzen 2600X (or 2600 if you get an aftermarket cooler and don't mind manually overclocking). Standard build would be a 2600 and something like the B450 Mortar Titanium. There are cheaper B450 boards, but you have to go all the way up to the Titanium to get Gen 2 usb ports. An overclocked 2600(X) will be a ~5-15% gaming performance hit vs. an overclocked 8600K, but will have better multi-core performance and AMD has committed to motherboard compatibility for their next two CPU releases.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Noctua should have new CPU coolers out next year too, with their nf-a12x25 generation fans and the occasional extra heatpipe. They showed some of the stuff off at computex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btP1LzbwYB4

That new U12 is looking mighty tempting.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 10, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Stickman posted:

It might be worth paying an extra :10bux: for the Z390 version of the ASRock Pro4, if only for the two gen 2 USB ports (one A and one C, unfortunately the headers are all still gen 1). The Pro4 isn't a very good overclocking board... but nobody makes a micro ATX board with good VRM.
Would you say it's worth the cost of going up to ATX? I do have OC in mind.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Stickman posted:

asus maximus xi gene

granted, you can't actually buy it in the US at the moment and it would probably be $400 if you could, but it's mATX (sorta, it's smaller than a regular mATX board) and pretty much all current overclocking records on z390 were set on it

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 10, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You should also be able to find a 1070ti for $310 if you look at used or b-stock, that could be a decent bump depending on whether you want to do 1440p.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What are the best 360mm AIO coolers? I want to OC a 9900k to at least 5.0 ghz all cores, so something like that would be necessary, it sounds like? Also, will all 360mm AIO coolers fit in an NZXT H500i?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

For 360mm aios I would vote h150i pro, as it has asetek's newest generation pump.

That said, it looks like the biggest radiator mount your case can support is a 280mm.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

For 360mm aios I would vote h150i pro, as it has asetek's newest generation pump.

That said, it looks like the biggest radiator mount your case can support is a 280mm.

Hrmm, might need to upgrade to an H700 if I want 360mm. One amazon review says "it's a tight fit for 360mm in the top but it can be done" but that sounds a little iffy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Butt Discussin posted:

What are the best 360mm AIO coolers? I want to OC a 9900k to at least 5.0 ghz all cores, so something like that would be necessary, it sounds like? Also, will all 360mm AIO coolers fit in an NZXT H500i?

No 360mm AIO coolers will fit in a NZXT H500i.

The largest it can fit is a 280mm in front, and/or a 120mm in the rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8y0JBsZ5t0

Here's a year old review of liquid coolers by a somewhat decent reviewer.

The upshot is... buy a Noctua D15 and call it a day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Butt Discussin posted:

Another contender, albeit one that's more expensive than an H150i PRO is the NZXT Kraken X72. It has the longest warranty at six years.

Pretty much 85% of AIOs use the 5th or 6th gen Asetek pump, though - so it comes down to what ~bonus features~ you want. Tech Jesus seems to really like the EVGA CLC 280 because it has fans that can be throttled up to give it better performance than most AIOs. The H150i PRO (coincidentally the wagon I've hitched my horse to for my 9900K adventures) seems to trade thermal efficiency for increased silence. Some people have gotten their hands on another two ML120s and set up a "push-pull" configuration for the top two spots on the reverse side of the radiator to help make up for the quietude and restrained pump speed settings.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
All our Steve Burke worship is starting to sound like a cult lol.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fray posted:

Would you say it's worth the cost of going up to ATX? I do have OC in mind.

Apparently I was mistaken about other mATX boards. There's no top-of-line overclocking boards, but there are at least mid-range boards that should work better for an 8600K.

Z370:
EVGA Micro
MSi Gaming Pro AC

Z390:
MSi Gaming Edge AC

They won't be quite as good as, say, an Extreme4, but they'll be less likely to have thermal throttling due to VRM overheating.

Arivia posted:

All our Steve Burke worship is starting to sound like a cult lol.

All hail the somewhat decent bearer of informative teardowns.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 10, 2018

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

A friend needs more SATA ports and I'm looking at expansion cards, but they get terrible reviews. Are there any good pcie sata expansion cards or are they all junk?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

fat bossy gerbil posted:

A friend needs more SATA ports and I'm looking at expansion cards, but they get terrible reviews. Are there any good pcie sata expansion cards or are they all junk?

If you've used all 6 SATA ports I'd say it's time for a NAS of some kind.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My current Lenovo gaming laptop portable computer (the Association for the Prevention of Genital Burns reminds you that those things get HOT nowadays) is getting long in the tooth, randomly just powers off with no warning about twice a month with no warning (not a shutdown, like if you unplugged it and pulled the battery), and gets hotter than I'd like when playing newer games (to the point of GTAV or Fallout 4 being actually annoyinly painful to play on the built-in keyboard), so it's time to replace it and send it to a farm upstate (literally, my ex-partner and still best friend lives near Albany, NY, and is currently using the computer that this one replaced.)

Rambling and jokes aside, it's not like I take this thing to the coffeeshop, it's always on a desk and plugged in, either at home or in a hotel (I travel a lot for work.) So I don't really need a lappy, just a portable desktop.

How feasible would it be to build a modern gaming desktop in a briefcase or similar form factor? I have a briefcase-type box that's deeper than standard, if the video card would be too big for a standard briefcase.

In the US, have built a computer before, handy enough with woodworking tools, a Dremel, and electronical devices to strip the case off a monitor and mount it in the box, and make holes for ventilation and all the plugs needed.. Budget is ... less than whatever the newer version of my current rig goes for. Looks to be about $900.

Edit: are there 90-degree adaptors to mount PCI cards sideways? That seems like it should be a thing, now that everything but the graphics card in built into the mobo. If it's not, and one of you assholes patent it, I demand a share of the royalties.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 10, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

My current Lenovo gaming laptop portable computer (the Association for the Prevention of Genital Burns reminds you that those things get HOT nowadays) is getting long in the tooth, randomly just powers off with no warning about twice a month with no warning (not a shutdown, like if you unplugged it and pulled the battery), and gets hotter than I'd like when playing newer games (to the point of GTAV or Fallout 4 being actually annoyinly painful to play on the built-in keyboard), so it's time to replace it and send it to a farm upstate (literally, my ex-partner and still best friend lives near Albany, NY, and is currently using the computer that this one replaced.)

Rambling and jokes aside, it's not like I take this thing to the coffeeshop, it's always on a desk and plugged in, either at home or in a hotel (I travel a lot for work.) So I don't really need a lappy, just a portable desktop.

How feasible would it be to build a modern gaming desktop in a briefcase or similar form factor? I have a briefcase-type box that's deeper than standard, if the video card would be too big for a standard briefcase.

In the US, have built a computer before, handy enough with woodworking tools, a Dremel, and electronical devices to strip the case off a monitor and mount it in the box, and make holes for ventilation and all the plugs needed.. Budget is ... less than whatever the newer version of my current rig goes for. Looks to be about $900.

Edit: are there 90-degree adaptors to mount PCI cards sideways? That seems like it should be a thing, now that everything but the graphics card in built into the mobo. If it's not, and one of you assholes patent it, I demand a share of the royalties.

You certainly can, though you'll have to pay attention to airflow/thermals. You can get PCIe extenders in the form of ribbon cables, letting you mount the GPU however you want; if you're going to be lugging this thing around its probably not a bad idea to find a way to attach it to the case itself. The height of your CPU cooler will likely be the limiting factor, so you'll likely have to go with low profile cooler depending on how deep your box is.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Portable ITX cases are a thing, though you'd struggle to call even the smallest builds portable with modern GPU sizes.

If your portable needs are strictly non-gaming, the first thing to try it to dissemble the laptop enough to get to the fans and internals, and blast it clean. If that doesn't work you can probably get to the heatsinks (they'll be pipes) to remove and re-paste them.

It sounds daunting but it's no-where near as hard as it looks if you take it step by step.

Otherwise a budget of $900 gets you entry level gaming laptops, though obviously not with the same performance $900 will buy you in desktop components.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

My faithful i5 2500k has finally given up the ghost, so it's upgrade time. Going to a 9-series i5.

What's up with these AIO coolers? Are they loud? Worth a crack, or best stick with a quiet air cooler?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm really happy with my h115i Pro. It's silent in my define r5 and easy to install. Also gets hot air out of the case which is good for the non-blower 2080ti that might come to me next year. People are going to tell you the noctua NH15 or whatever is the good air cooler to get.

e: Saw this in SA-Mart coupons section but Big Deals on the 500gb/1tb 970 Evo M.2 drives right now.

e2:vvvv yeah it's worth it just for the convieniance of the install. I used big air coolers on every other build I've ever done up to this point and I'll never go back.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 10, 2018

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I kept my noctua on my sandy and bought an EVGA clc 280 for my 9900k. Sound-wise they're pretty comparable when it's loaded up over a long time, but for shorter bursts the AIO has been quieter because it doesn't immediately spin up. That alone wasn't worth the extra money on the AIO, but I like the way it looks and never having to worry about clearance issues or nicking myself on the thing when installing parts is nice.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

All the water in the pipes can hold quite some heat.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The best way to upgrade an AIO if you have one, is to buy some decent static pressure fans, because the ones in the box almost universally suck. AIOs are quite expensive and they save money on the kits by using cheap as poo poo fans.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've ordered a Corsair H60. Don't mind replacing the fan if it's going to make things better. Any recommendations?

I've had to get a new psu. Is the Corsair TX series decent, or is there a better option?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've ordered a Corsair H60. Don't mind replacing the fan if it's going to make things better. Any recommendations?

I've had to get a new psu. Is the Corsair TX series decent, or is there a better option?

I mean, anything with a silver or gold efficiency rating is going to be good, because it will be built with high quality components. Corsair is pretty good though, I've run them in all my builds and never had one fail on me.

As long as your PSU has a good efficiency rating, and isn't from some weird off brand it will last the life of your PC.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Cool. I mean, it was a Corsair rm that blew up and took out my system, but I've always viewed them as reliable.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cool. I mean, it was a Corsair rm that blew up and took out my system, but I've always viewed them as reliable.

All I can relate is my own experience. You can still have a good quality power supply let the angry pixies out. Though, a modern PSU should have protective circuits that prevent a failure from traveling into the motherboard and components, and instead shunt the power surge down the ground, but eh :shrug:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah it's just unfortunate. Still, it's an excuse for an upgrade.

Motherboards now come with headers for liquid cooling pumps yeah?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah it's just unfortunate. Still, it's an excuse for an upgrade.

Motherboards now come with headers for liquid cooling pumps yeah?

Yep for a few generations now but I don't know how different it really is from just a PWM CPU fan header.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

VelociBacon posted:

Yep for a few generations now but I don't know how different it really is from just a PWM CPU fan header.

They tend to be rated for higher current.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

my motherboard ate it, should i upgrade my i5-6500 and get a gen 9 cpu? or just replace the mobo ...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A MIRACLE posted:

my motherboard ate it, should i upgrade my i5-6500 and get a gen 9 cpu? or just replace the mobo ...?

In your case, I'd almost counsel moving to a Ryzen 2600 and a B450 or X470 board. You should be able to re-use your RAM since it should still be DDR4.