Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

ya, cuz we don't buy poo poo cars

Yeah we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BlackMK4 posted:

ya, cuz we don't buy poo poo cars

*gazes around AI*

:shuckyes:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

spog posted:

Have you got 30mins spare to watch a couple of videos? I promise you it is worth it.

Backstory: Samcrac is a very amiable Youtuber who buys crashed cars at auction and repairs them in his backyard. It is fair to say that his enthusiasm outweighes his mechanical skills somewhat.

He manages to win his dream car at auction that was an insurance write-off, but he didn't know why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOlvG1QbCDU
(skip to 7mins to see the reason)

and here he is him fixing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsW_oNLZjM

Wow the fix seems sketchy as gently caress. Also, that much heat and UV can't be good for the coolant and brake fluid reservoirs, right?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
A couple of interesting comments:

quote:

TheBerlinbaer
I ask myself, what would the german TÜV say?

quote:

LumenEtTempus
I've had one with both Dekra, TUV and some 3rd party papers. Repair was done by audi and looked worse than what Sam did here. Not even a single letter on any of the papers or on the TUV given certification of conformity ( i bought it from a German dealer to import it to my country)... The car is a POS, i mean any R8 not just Sams one, I had a leak in the door, both towers welded, finicky automatic, problems with MMI with a flipped picture and random lights popping on while driving.
Sold it still under used car warranty to a guy in Italy he modded the f*ck out of it - lime green wrap, chrome wheels and i think a turbo kit.
I own a Skoda superb now, got sick of the "high tech" cars after the R8 and an M6. 

Could obviously be a 12 year old posing as R8 owner, but still. Thankfully more comments telling him how bad the repair potentially is now than yesterday.
I have no idea why he does it on his own though. I kept waiting for the jack stand to slip and fall.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 9, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Which reminds me, I need to renew my TÜV next week for the E31. It's always the same procedure: take the wheels off, fit the stock wheels, let the TÜV guys give you new TÜV, remove the stock wheels, fit the nice wheels. (for a car I drive maybe 500km per year)

Now, you may say "well, if 20 inch wheels never were certified for this car, bad luck, you shouldn't get TÜV". The funny thing is, 20 inch wheels were certified for the facelift as well as for the same car, modified by Alpina and the M GmbH.

tl;dr: German TÜV is really, really strict on what you can do, and what you can't. Fit a wheel that is certified for the exact same car, but only for the facelift (which simply had a slightly different engine, and some chrome applied, everything else is the same)? No you don't, no TÜV for you. (unless you spend couple of hundred of bucks for a TÜV guy to certify it, which I did with another car, and he basically looked through a database and said "oh, yeah, that size has been certified somewhere in Hamburg by a similar idiot like you, here's your very own certificate".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At least you can do engine swaps and get other poo poo certified if it's pretty reasonable. Here in Tschechien you can't put a roll bar in a miata without the inspectors crawling up your rear end, let alone put an engine in a car that didn't belong there. Oh theoretically you could get Mazda to confirm that they approve of you putting an LSX in but lol good luck with that.

Of course that doesn't completely stop people who have friends among the inspectors or the cash to substitute for friends but still.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 9, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Man how I wonder they would do a 4x4 truck chassis swap on a sports car.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mobby_6kl posted:

At least you can do engine swaps and get other poo poo certified if it's pretty reasonable. Here in Tschechien you can't put a roll bar in a miata without the inspectors crawling up your rear end, let alone put an engine in a car that didn't belong there. Oh theoretically you could get Mazda to confirm that they approve of you putting an LSX in but lol good luck with that.

Of course that doesn't completely stop people who have friends among the inspectors or the cash to substitute for friends but still.

I bet
with like 100% certainty
if you call the miata designers in japan they'd give a full throated hell yeah motherfucker

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

tuo posted:

Which reminds me, I need to renew my TÜV next week for the E31. It's always the same procedure: take the wheels off, fit the stock wheels, let the TÜV guys give you new TÜV, remove the stock wheels, fit the nice wheels. (for a car I drive maybe 500km per year)

Now, you may say "well, if 20 inch wheels never were certified for this car, bad luck, you shouldn't get TÜV". The funny thing is, 20 inch wheels were certified for the facelift as well as for the same car, modified by Alpina and the M GmbH.

tl;dr: German TÜV is really, really strict on what you can do, and what you can't. Fit a wheel that is certified for the exact same car, but only for the facelift (which simply had a slightly different engine, and some chrome applied, everything else is the same)? No you don't, no TÜV for you. (unless you spend couple of hundred of bucks for a TÜV guy to certify it, which I did with another car, and he basically looked through a database and said "oh, yeah, that size has been certified somewhere in Hamburg by a similar idiot like you, here's your very own certificate".

On one hand, being that strict is annoying for sure. Especially for an old niche collector car.

But on the other hand, have you seen the pieces of poo poo that commonly roll around most of the US? A lot of states have no inspections at all, and even the ones with inspections these days are mostly just "can it get here under its own power and is the CEL on". And if you can't even hit that low bar, you can almost certainly find a shady mechanic to "fix" it for you.

Given the sheer number of rolling death traps (for the occupants and those around them), I think I'd lean toward something too strict rather than too loose.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I think the low quality of drivers is more of a concern, and *way* more a cause of accidents, deadly or otherwise, than questionable cars in the US. The vast majority of cars rolling on the roads are probably newer than 20 years, since no one can be arsed to fix or maintain "old" cars.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

I think the low quality of drivers is more of a concern, and *way* more a cause of accidents, deadly or otherwise, than questionable cars in the US. The vast majority of cars rolling on the roads are probably newer than 20 years, since no one can be arsed to fix or maintain "old" cars.

I started binging Canada's Worst Drivers and they all have new cars. The oldest I saw was like 5 years behind when the show was shot

20 accidents in 10 months of driving... what the gently caress are these people?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
if thats the cheapest way to own an R8 that you're only going to drive to a mcdonalds drive thru then thats actually kinda cool lol

couldn't he even part something like that out to other audi/cw owners and turn a profit?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Guinness posted:

Given the sheer number of rolling death traps (for the occupants and those around them), I think I'd lean toward something too strict rather than too loose.

Communist :911:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don’t think it’s significant or anything, but seeing “Page 1111” down there is pleasing. It’s so symmetrical.
Also, holy heck, 1100 pages of this bull. I love it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Darchangel posted:

My girlfriend knows a guy who manages a BrakeCheck or some place like that. Apparently, so the story goes, he had a woman come I to the shop about a CEL. He apparently suggested an oil change since the service light was on and the oil looked old. She said, "Why do I need to change the oil. Oil doesn't degrade." Then he apparently showed her a small container of fresh vs used oil. She must've thought he was patronizing or mansplaining and dumped the oil on his shirt and stormed out.

That's my terrible car stuff story.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

That Works posted:

Buncha jealous non-R8 owners itt
I owned an R8. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That car doesn't rate though

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MetaJew posted:

My girlfriend knows a guy who manages a BrakeCheck or some place like that. Apparently, so the story goes, he had a woman come I to the shop about a CEL. He apparently suggested an oil change since the service light was on and the oil looked old. She said, "Why do I need to change the oil. Oil doesn't degrade." Then he apparently showed her a small container of fresh vs used oil. She must've thought he was patronizing or mansplaining and dumped the oil on his shirt and stormed out.

That's my terrible car stuff story.

She was sort of correct...it is usually the additives that break down :v:.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Darchangel posted:

I don’t think it’s significant or anything, but seeing “Page 1111” down there is pleasing. It’s so symmetrical.
Also, holy heck, 1100 pages of this bull. I love it.

Come get me when we reach page 8008

E: Jesus florida, the fact that the official government forms for submitting what work was done in the process of rebuilding the vehicle has "Homemade" as a checkbox is telling. Having friends who rebuild and having done a few rebuilt vehicles in Manitoba, just wow. No wonder you guys are so against anything with a rebuilt status, its anarchy in the US when it comes to rebuilt it seems like.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 10, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bajaha posted:

Come get me when we reach page 8008

I propose a new game. ODBII codes based on page. So P1111...

Looks like this one is some fault purge control valve.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I propose a new game. ODBII codes based on page. So P1111...

Looks like this one is some fault purge control valve.
Tell me about it, I had chilli sauce on my kebab this evening.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

is this real?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thief posted:

is this real?

What does your heart say?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it's gotta be photoshopped, right?! :ohdear:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thief posted:

is this real?

Business up front, party in the back.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

It's real and there's more than one of them. A couple pics of the same one and another:

Build pics for the last one: https://www.carscoops.com/2010/08/what-pruck-toyota-prius-and-subaru-baja/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

donut posted:

It's real and there's more than one of them. A couple pics of the same one and another:

Build pics for the last one: https://www.carscoops.com/2010/08/what-pruck-toyota-prius-and-subaru-baja/

In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit.

I'm honestly amazed at this thing...it's got the build quality of a one-off pile of poo poo but yet there appear to be a few in existence, none better than prior efforts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How on Earth does something like that come about? Is there somebody out there who just absolutely loves the Prius and the Baja and has been feverishly burning the midnight oil to try and combine them into one ubercar? Or was it just someone who parked their Baja next to a Prius and noticed that the roofs lined up and suddenly a light bulb went on?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Make everything a ute, but you also need a backseat still

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm honestly more curious as to why that parking space is so insanely long..

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Grakkus posted:

I'm honestly more curious as to why that parking space is so insanely long..
Trucks.
Have you even seen a silverado 3500? crew cab, full tray? I have because there's a few in Australia; They are giant and long.

USA goons, what do they cost over there? Here they are about au$150k (so US$105k) E: :lol: they're US$40k over there. Too many cunts with too much money over here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 10, 2018

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fo3 posted:

Trucks.
Have you even seen a silverado 3500? crew cab, full tray? I have because there's a few in Australia; They are giant and long.

USA goons, what do they cost over there? Here they are about au$150k (so US$105k) E: :lol: they're US$40k over there. Too many cunts with too much money over here.

You can get a 3500 for $40k for a super base gasser to over $70k for a Duramax

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

My question is why are those uber cars always left unfinished

They go through all that effort and then leave a giant unpainted section in the middle

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

My question is why are those uber cars always left unfinished

They go through all that effort and then leave a giant unpainted section in the middle

Nobody making one of those type things has ever considered aesthetics in anything, ever, and is possibly unaware of the existence of the word, or even the concept of the word.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of people with no concept of aesthetics, I just came across this post in yospos:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I was just reminded by:

last weekend I was out on Saltburn pier, and walking back to the shore I heard someone over-revving a small engine like their life depended on it, it was someone gunning an original Robin up Saltburn Bank:

https://goo.gl/maps/dX2BiYRDo8L2 <- Check the streetview here

which is fairly steep with a couple of nasty switchbacks in it - its something of a local rite of passage for new drivers :o:

And also this

https://i.imgur.com/dKj7nsg.mp4

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Meet Joe Black, deer edition

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

shy boy from chess club posted:

Meet Joe Black, deer edition

Quite the luck there.

Never realized they made a "luxury" version of the Robin. Although I know the "car" was rigged in the show that was quite an entertaining Top Gear episode.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Haha, this is loving brilliant:

Because based on that street sign, they're on their way to Curborough...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Haha, this is loving brilliant:

Because based on that street sign, they're on their way to Curborough...
please explain for the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

david_a posted:

please explain for the rest of us

It will be some British humor/humour we can't comprehend.