Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
9 Morning News just called the Trolley Man a bloody hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If he pulled out the pole like an old hand at trolley battle this wouldn't have happened

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Here's the headlines.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
this loving country sucks

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Was the car fire a failed IED? People in the area claimed to hear a loud pop.

When it failed it seems he grabbed the knife and went old school, could have been a lot worse.

Also, it would be nice if these headlines glamorised the whole thing less.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Recoome posted:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
peter dutton was among the luminaries attending the funeral of a senior ASIO officer yesterday at the church my dad is churchwarden for. heavy security, hundreds of attendees. nothing in the news afaik.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

a white person spat on my girlfriend in the middle of Queens St Mall in Brisbane when she was wearing her star of david, but I guess that won't make the headlines

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
loving LOL at all the Facebook cowboys saying that we need more armed citizens so that people can defend themselves.

Likewise at the people criticising the cops for taking too long to shoot him.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Abongination posted:

When it failed it seems he grabbed the knife and went old school, could have been a lot worse.

Also, it would be nice if these headlines glamorised the whole thing less.

He filled it with bbq gas cans and it didn't explode. Clearly IS have sent us their 00 tier agents.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

a white person spat on my girlfriend in the middle of Queens St Mall in Brisbane when she was wearing her star of david, but I guess that won't make the headlines

FFS

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Matthew Guy said there should be no "moral squeamishness" when it came to dealing with extremism.
"There should be no moral squeamishness, we need to eradicate this kind of behaviour, because enough is enough," Mr Guy said.
It is understood the Andrews government’s counter terrorism subcommittee of cabinet will meet at 9am.
The Premier has also suspended all election campaigning until at least Sunday afternoon.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Guy reacted angrily when a journalist asked if he was politicising the issue, saying: “I find it confronting that you would ask me whether or not I would use any person’s death to a political advantage.”

He didn't even deny it lol

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Recoome posted:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mostly the white people in it

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Guy capitalising on the 1% lead he has over Andrew in handling law and order

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Ah gently caress, they've named the guy who died. Sisto from Pellegrini's.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

Ah gently caress, they've named the guy who died. Sisto from Pellegrini's.

gently caress. I liked that bloke.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is a sensational narrative to pursue if you want to say old immigrants good new immigrants bad btw it writes itself

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Noted islamicist ideology *checks notes* “believing invisible people are chasing you down the street with spears”

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 10, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Noted islamicist ideology “believing invisible people are chasing you down the street with spears”

Invisible spears are actually terrifying and my children were permanently scarred by Adam Goodes' conduct thanks very much.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Recoome posted:

I'm sorry to see that dude :(

Sadly I feel the poo poo that's happening in the US is starting to make its way down here. I guess we're kinda lucky that guns are hard to get here compared to the US

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Every Australian should be armed with a trolley

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

You Am I posted:

I'm sorry to see that dude :(

Sadly I feel the poo poo that's happening in the US is starting to make its way down here. I guess we're kinda lucky that guns are hard to get here compared to the US

Only because the media outlet that pushed it over there and literally broke suburban high school educated American's brains is now pushing it over here in a desperate attempt to stay relevant. And then the mainstream tv networks see it and say 'well the incredibly racist cat's out of the integrity bag now,"

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
The frustrating thing is that the few “Islamic” attacks we’ve had probably come down to mental health / social issues that these (Muslim) men have had, and this is an outlet instead of beating their wife or killing themselves or starting a bar fight. It’s bad and yes Australia as a community and our police should come up with proactive, positive solutions to people who radicalise but let’s be honest these attacks haven’t been because of some guy fresh off the plane from Damascus with the schematics of a 747 in his hand.

EDIT: I say frustrating because the media obviously make it sound like it’s Homeland or 24 on the streets of Melbourne when in actual fact these guys couldn’t be a villain in an Austin powers movie

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The perpetrator of Friday's Bourke Street terrorist attack complained of being chased by "unseen people with spears" in the weeks leading up to the deadly knife rampage in Melbourne's CBD.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/na...110-p50f7y.html

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 10, 2018

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

In my time, I've had the great fortune to speak several people claiming to be Jesus, a relative to the Queen, and someone who had been killed by the Government.

Psychosis and psychotic episodes are no laughing matter, but I mean if people aren't trying to actively kill themselves or other people, then they still aren't likely to get help if they can't afford it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

The perpetrator of Friday's Bourke Street terrorist attack complained of being chased by "unseen people with spears" in the weeks leading up to the deadly knife rampage in Melbourne's CBD.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/na...110-p50f7y.html

I loving wish Andrew Bolt was unseen.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Abongination posted:

Airbags pop fairly loudly in car fires.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/CMMortlock/status/1061097578903687169

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I can't wait til, in true NSW fashion, he bases his campaign on being tougher on crime and immigration than Daniel Andrews.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
fuckin worthless myGov website won't send a code to my fuckin email to recover my password

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

snoremac posted:

fuckin worthless myGov website won't send a code to my fuckin email to recover my password

I had that problem, turns out they permanently lock your account if you don't log in for 18months

Also they permanently lock out your account after 5 failed attempts to log in.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

norp posted:

I had that problem, turns out they permanently lock your account if you don't log in for 18months

jesus christ

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

norp posted:

How is their system such garbage that it can't at least tell me the first thing when I try to log in? It just says it's sending a code, which it isn't.

I hated, hated dealing with Centrelink when I was on Newstart and this is my first interaction with the government since then. Awesome.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Having to deal with MyGov when I was an undergrad was always the loving pits

Good idea but holy hell did they stink it up

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Recoome posted:

Having to deal with MyGov when I was an undergrad was always the loving pits

Good idea but holy hell did they stink it up

Abbott

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My Health Record's privacy chief quits amid claims agency 'not listening'

quote:

The director of privacy at the agency behind My Health Record has quit amid claims the organisation and Health Minister Greg Hunt's office have not been taking the concerns of internal privacy experts seriously enough.

The resignation of the Australian Digital Health Agency’s director of privacy, Nicole Hunt, last month comes at a crucial time for the agency, which has faced criticism over its security and privacy policies, as it prepares to automatically enrol all Australians into having the online digital health file unless they opt out by November 15.

Ms Hunt has worked in roles across federal and state governments, including at the NBN, NSW Police, and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. The ADHA refused to confirm the resignation despite Ms Hunt's LinkedIn profile showing she now works in privacy at ANZ Bank.

Ms Hunt declined to comment for this story.

It is further understood that from December only one existing, dedicated privacy staff member will remain at the organisation, with one leaving the business to move overseas and another going on 12 months leave. At its peak, the privacy team consisted of four people.

“The agency as a practice does not comment publicly on staffing matters,” an ADHA spokesperson said. “The agency has an experienced and well-resourced privacy team."

Asked if ADHA would replace Ms Hunt, the spokesperson said it had restructured its privacy team to report to another director.
Tim Kelsey (centre), head the Australian Digital Health Agency, which is rolling out My Health Record.

Tim Kelsey (centre), head the Australian Digital Health Agency, which is rolling out My Health Record.Credit:ADHA

“The agency … has recently announced an internal restructure ... to ensure the agency is the right size and shape beyond the opt-out program," they said.

"These changes have not significantly changed the staffing profile or resourcing of our privacy team, but has brought the policy and privacy functions under one director position."

ADHA declined to state which director the privacy team would now report to, saying: "The agency has nothing further to add."

Two sources close to Ms Hunt confirmed that she had left the business out of frustration that privacy and security concerns her team had raised with senior management were often ignored.

“ADHA's privacy staff are very disillusioned that their advice and that of external privacy experts has not been listened to,” one source said, adding that there was a pattern of “not listening” at senior levels at ADHA and within Health Minister Greg Hunt's office, and that concerns were treated simply as management or public relations issues.

Said a second source: “I don’t think you are on the wrong track with the 'not listening'. They are hearing, they are listening to something, but they are reconfiguring it into another conversation; and it is not the conversation the Australian public want to have."

Anna Johnston, director of privacy consultancy Salinger Privacy and a former NSW deputy privacy commissioner, said the resignation and claims of not listening were not a good look, nor was consolidating the role of privacy director with another director with other responsibilities.

“No longer having a director leading a separate privacy team outside of the broader policy area suggests to me that ADHA does not properly value the critical judgment and expertise that an independent chief privacy officer can bring to an organisation,” Ms Johnston said.

Following publication of the news of Ms Hunt's resignation on Friday, Labor's shadow health spokeswoman Catherine King said it was "extremely concerning" and showed "why we need a Privacy Commissioner review of the My Health Record".

About 17 million Australians will be automatically enrolled in the My Health record if they do not opt-out by next Thursday, despite lingering significant privacy concerns.

On Tuesday, Health Minister Hunt unveiled long-awaited changes to the government's My Health Record legislation to address privacy concerns, protect young people and domestic violence victims.

Separate legislation that would enshrine a patient's right to permanently delete their record, and ensure that police may only access a person's medical history with a court order, is yet to pass Parliament but politicians will not get a chance to debate the bill before the opt-out deadline.

A Senate inquiry into the rollout of the e-health system last month recommended that the opt-out period be extended by 12 months, but the extension was refused.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/te...C9GsOGF_zvZFHRk

Hope you've opted out

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Recoome posted:

In my time, I've had the great fortune to speak several people claiming to be Jesus, a relative to the Queen, and someone who had been killed by the Government.

Psychosis and psychotic episodes are no laughing matter, but I mean if people aren't trying to actively kill themselves or other people, then they still aren't likely to get help if they can't afford it.

yesterday afternoon a couple of hours before this happened the radio was saying that guy who ran over a bunch of people with a ute in melboure earlier this year is pleading diminished capacity due to drugs and I said to somebody next to me at the bar if that bloke had been Muslim or an immigrant we'd be calling it terrorism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

norp posted:

Lol so that's why mine mysteriously stopped working and it told me to to start a new account but you can't start a new account you already have an account click here to log into your account but this account is locked please make a new account