Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

divabot posted:

Even if we give this 10^54 estimate "a mere 1% chance of being correct," Bostrom writes, "we find that the expected value of reducing existential risk by a mere one billionth of one billionth of one percentage point is worth a hundred billion times as much as a billion human lives."

lmao wait, this isn't yudkowsky writing that?

yeah yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

DrPossum posted:

I'm pretty sure the forums aren't organized enough to manipulate anyone or anything systematically

forums?

???

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

lmao wait, this isn't yudkowsky writing that?

yeah yikes

yud is the guy who claims to understand computers, and also claimed that nobody had ever solved a np-hard problem

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i had no idea the superintelligence book author was with the "less wrong" people lol

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

DrPossum posted:

I'm pretty sure the forums aren't organized enough to manipulate anyone or anything systematically

no, but the systematic effects are an emergent property of the forums, derived from the particular types of human rejects that populate them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1061073451287502849

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

what im saying is that goons are hosed up people with brain problems

e: me especially

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

https://www.currentbyge.com/cities

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

50 grand sounds crazy low

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Krankenstyle posted:

yeah thats at most a couple dozen cameras going by usual grift rates

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Krankenstyle posted:

It’s obviously a prototype deployment judging by the numbers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KeyForge is a new game that uses procedurally-generated cards and decknames to ensure every deck (:10bux: off the shelf) is a playable, tournament-quality deck.

https://twitter.com/easydiff/status/1061302972137816066

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DrPossum posted:

you’re an 04, you should at least be familiar with some of the more well known SA forums hits

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

“what’s a good gun for uhhhhhhhh shooting pumpkins. yeah”

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Krankenstyle posted:

its a pilot program designed to test whether the public would reject extremely authoritarian monitoring on principle or say things like "50 grand sounds crazy low" and "yeah thats at most a couple dozen cameras going by usual grift rates"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The security cameras disguised as a pair of sneakers thrown over the power line owns.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

The security cameras disguised as a pair of sneakers thrown over the power line owns.

Antifa drones to liberate communities by approaching cameras from unexpected angles

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Al! posted:

its a pilot program designed to test whether the public would reject extremely authoritarian monitoring on principle or say things like "50 grand sounds crazy low" and "yeah thats at most a couple dozen cameras going by usual grift rates"

tbf the thread mood has been resigned to this poo poo being inevitable since page 1 so what did you expect?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

50 grand since june

that's not a very long time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Main Paineframe posted:

50 grand since june

that's not a very long time

you know very little about govt procurement pricing, grasshopper

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Krankenstyle posted:

yea, that 50k covered like one or two cameras for testing

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
apparently two private schools in seattle are running facial recog and you have to smile for the doors to open

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

i'm well aware

i'm also well aware of government procurement timelines

that $50k is probably a small fraction of what has or will be spent

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Should you?

:smuggo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm well aware

i'm also well aware of government procurement timelines

that $50k is probably a small fraction of what has or will be spent

you got a point there, those numbers are probably the 2015Q2 procurement for the mid-midwest or some poo poo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

What the gently caress. Pre-mature babies can cost two million to save.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
no one child should be allowed to consume all that healthcare

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Parents should avoid putting the baby on their healthcare plan, let the baby rack up the charges, then the baby declares bankruptcy. They're not going to apply for a home loan before the age of 7 anyway, so stick it to the hospitals.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
I can't pay no birthing bill.
(but Bezos's on the moon)
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
(while Bezos's on the moon)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Al! posted:

a lot of children definitely do in aggregate over 75 years

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
take the song 10 pounds but it's only 7 pounds

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

(wrong thread)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

got any sevens posted:

apparently two private schools in seattle are running facial recog and you have to smile for the doors to open

A clever way to get around the HR nightmare of telling women to smile

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Al! posted:

maybe more like... medical care should not be ludicrously overpriced?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You birth 7 pounds, what do you get?
A brand new baby and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don't ya call me, 'cuz I can't go
I owe this baby's soul to the hospital.

Turns out when you ransom human lives, there's no upper limit to what people will pay.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fwiw when i first started stacking shelves at 14, i joined a union. turned out to be a good call cause i got fired illegally before i even turned 16 for asking questions about missing overtime. union had my back tho & i got what i was owed plus a tiny settlement on top. i guess the corp shuffled off my lovely boss somewhere else, he was gone from my town anyway.

at that time i definitely hadnt paid enough dues to get hours of lawyer representation & a settlement on top, i was in the plus right off.

now, more than 20 years later, ive paid off that balance so many times over that it cant be counted, and always my reason is: what if some other kid is in the same situation

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Krankenstyle posted:

fwiw when i first started stacking shelves at 14, i joined a union. turned out to be a good call cause i got fired illegally before i even turned 16 for asking questions about missing overtime. union had my back tho & i got what i was owed plus a tiny settlement on top. i guess the corp shuffled off my lovely boss somewhere else, he was gone from my town anyway.

at that time i definitely hadnt paid enough dues to get hours of lawyer representation & a settlement on top, i was in the plus right off.

now, more than 20 years later, ive paid off that balance so many times over that it cant be counted, and always my reason is: what if some other kid is in the same situation

Union dues as lovely boss insurance?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

just ask AOL

quote:

Armstrong: 'Distressed babies' figured in 401(k) roll-back

02/06/2014 02:45 PM EST

Appearing on CNBC this morning, AOL chief executive Tim Armstrong said: "We have to look at our benefits programs very seriously."

He was explaining why his company recently decided to restructure its 401(k) progam in a way that essentially pulls back the company's employer-matching contributions.

"As a C.E.O. and as a management team," said Armstrong, "we had to decide, do we pass the $7.1 million of Obamacare costs to our employees? Or do we try to eat as much of that as possible and cut other benefits?"

During a subsequent company-wide conference call with employees, Armstrong got a little more specific about some of the costs that had led to the decision on 401(k)s.

"Two things that happened in 2012," he said, according to a transcript provided by an AOL employee. "We had two AOL-ers that had distressed babies that were born that we paid a million dollars each to make sure those babies were OK in general. And those are the things that add up into our benefits cost. So when we had the final decision about what benefits to cut because of the increased healthcare costs, we made the decision, and I made the decision, to basically change the 401(k) plan."

For at least some employees, Armstrong's effort to show how much care the company takes for the health and wellbeing of its staff failed to land. Though he did not name the employees he referred to, "people were just shocked that two particular women would be singled out on a company-wide call," a person who was on the call told Capital.

AOL did not immediately have a comment about Armstrong's remarks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ikanreed posted:

Union dues as lovely boss insurance?

and more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

yeah the guy should have just said it was two unknown persons who had premature babies "who may or may not have been women"

the american bourgeois are so brainwashed that the shocking part about that call isn't the fact that it costs a million dollars to save a premature baby jesus christ