Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Sab669 posted:

Welp.

I'm selling the Rogue Trader half of the Kill Team Expansion for $60, and buying the Sigmar half of Soul Wars for $40.

So I guess I'm not gonna play Ironjawz, because that deal is too good to pass up.

I think this is the first time in almost a decade of Minis games that I'm playing as the good guys :thunk:

What else will I need to buy? General's Handbook?

Are you picking them just because you're getting a discounted price? Not worth starting an army you don't like just because its on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mugaaz posted:

Not worth starting an army you don't like just because its on sale.

Bro, do you even warham?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mugaaz posted:

Are you picking them just because you're getting a discounted price? Not worth starting an army you don't like just because its on sale.

I was on the fence between Stormcast and Ironjawz. My heart tells me go for the Greenskins, but I'm a little disappointed by their model variety. Only 3 units? C'mon!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Double posting; any of you goony motherfuckers have examples of either of these Sigmar "chapters"?

Of course the schemes I like the most were left out of all of the "Painting your Barbie Dolls" section of the Battletome :(

I can't find any examples on Google, and most minis gallery sites are blocked at work

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sab669 posted:

Double posting; any of you goony motherfuckers have examples of either of these Sigmar "chapters"?

Of course the schemes I like the most were left out of all of the "Painting your Barbie Dolls" section of the Battletome :(

I can't find any examples on Google, and most minis gallery sites are blocked at work

Have you tried the citadel paint app? They’re not in there but they look close enough to space marine chapters that you’d be able to crib from the Salamanders or White Scars paint breakdown.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Also picking up the SCE half of Soul Wars to start an army.

Where to go from there though, especially with a fairly competitive group of player? I understand Evocators are sick filth so more of them, maybe 2 more Ballistas and the Ordinator?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TKIY posted:

Where to go from there though, especially with a fairly competitive group of player? I understand Evocators are sick filth so more of them, maybe 2 more Ballistas and the Ordinator?

More Evocators, more Sequitors. Get the easy build sequitors to round your 8 to 10 and then get another set. More Ballistas and the Ordinator is good. An Azyros does better for lower numbers of Ballistas, but has the stupid Stormcast wings so gently caress that. Grab a Castellant, find a Relictor on eBay or something.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Deleter posted:

More Evocators, more Sequitors. Get the easy build sequitors to round your 8 to 10 and then get another set. More Ballistas and the Ordinator is good. An Azyros does better for lower numbers of Ballistas, but has the stupid Stormcast wings so gently caress that. Grab a Castellant, find a Relictor on eBay or something.

Cool cool. Then just keep losing to DoK and Nurgle forever?

That seems to be the theory in our local group.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have you tried the citadel paint app? They’re not in there but they look close enough to space marine chapters that you’d be able to crib from the Salamanders or White Scars paint breakdown.

Oh, no I just mean I want to see what the minis actually look like when painted up like that - I wasn't necessarily asking what colors to use

Edit: I don't understand Battlescribe at all. I can only seem to add Sequitors as groups of 5 guys, Castigators in groups of 3, and Evocators in groups of 5? But then the Battletome says things like, "A unit of Sequitors has any number of models." :shrug: Anyone know off hand how many Points of SCE are in the Soul Wars box?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 9, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TKIY posted:

Cool cool. Then just keep losing to DoK and Nurgle forever?

That seems to be the theory in our local group.

I've never played against either of those, but I do recall Nurgle likes to poop mortal wounds out (thematically) and Stormcast have no real defenses against it. You could probably exploit their Chaos/Daemon keywords with some Judicators (I forgot Judicators, get a box of those for character sniping) and some other bits. If DoK does something similar I imagine that would be a struggle.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Deleter posted:

I've never played against either of those, but I do recall Nurgle likes to poop mortal wounds out (thematically) and Stormcast have no real defenses against it. You could probably exploit their Chaos/Daemon keywords with some Judicators (I forgot Judicators, get a box of those for character sniping) and some other bits. If DoK does something similar I imagine that would be a struggle.

DoK just seems to fit the 'super fast and killy' theme more than anything. I'll look into Judicators too.

Thx!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Oh, no I just mean I want to see what the minis actually look like when painted up like that - I wasn't necessarily asking what colors to use

Edit: I don't understand Battlescribe at all. I can only seem to add Sequitors as groups of 5 guys, Castigators in groups of 3, and Evocators in groups of 5? But then the Battletome says things like, "A unit of Sequitors has any number of models." :shrug: Anyone know off hand how many Points of SCE are in the Soul Wars box?

This is the difference between matched play and open play. In open they can have any number. In Matched you buy them in groups of 5 or 3 as you noted.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

This is the difference between matched play and open play. In open they can have any number. In Matched you buy them in groups of 5 or 3 as you noted.

But also note that you don't have to have that many models. For instance, you can buy two groups of 5, but if you only have 8 models in your possession, you pay full points just as if you had 10 models.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

But also note that you don't have to have that many models. For instance, you can buy two groups of 5, but if you only have 8 models in your possession, you pay full points just as if you had 10 models.

Yeah the soul wars box is kind of stupid because of this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that's really dumb :/ Oh well. Looks like it's approximately 1080 points, based off Battlescribe, if I have to "round up" for all 3 units.

I guess for $40 I can't complain too much :v: I've needed a break from my Death Guard, I'm looking forward to painting these guys. They look detailed, but not so detailed that I'm going to go insane like I have been with the Plague Marines.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Edit: way the gently caress beaten.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Sab669, do you have the Generals Handbook (2018)? It's pretty much a required rulebook for anything other than open play. It has all the points and the allegiance abilities for factions that don't have tomes etc.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

Just be like me and load up on Decimators and just chop those hordes up.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Sab669 posted:

My stormboys I’m working on were inspired by that Sons of the Gladius scheme, but a bit brighter.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

richyp - no I haven't bought the General's handbook yet. Someone earlier pointed out the SCE Tome included the points so I figured it was less of a priority. My store isn't doing this AoS slow grow for at least another month so I'm not rushing into buying stuff just yet.

Danimo - hell yea :hfive: I thought that much green might be a little overpowering, based on the picture from the Battletome I posted, but those look pretty nice. I'm still leaning more towards the Azyrite though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In funny news about the new Gotrek story.

quote:

Gotrek complains to Snorri ('s specter) about dwarfs being called duardin. Snorri reminds him that "dwarf" was just what men of the Empire called them and never what they called themselves, forcing Gotrek to admit that he actually enjoyed spending time among humans.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

In funny news about the new Gotrek story.

I enjoyed the Snorri part.

I thought the first chapter was wildly confusing and seemed to begin in the middle of the script. The rest was alright, but the ending bummed me the gently caress out because Gotrek just says "Welp, Felix is either dead or doesn't remember me, so I'm just gonna move on!" I really wanted him to say something like "I'll find you manling - Gotrek Gurnisson keeps his oaths!" and continue to search for Felix.

I'd like to see him find a clueless nu-Felix and basically drag him into some crazy poo poo. Hell, even if he never found Felix but kept looking, it would have been great. As it was, it made me sad.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's part of the overarching theme in fluff: Give up on the Old World already.

Which is weird because I think mostly everyone has moved on or given up but I keep hearing about fluff where they twist the knife

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

berzerkmonkey posted:

I enjoyed the Snorri part.

I thought the first chapter was wildly confusing and seemed to begin in the middle of the script. The rest was alright, but the ending bummed me the gently caress out because Gotrek just says "Welp, Felix is either dead or doesn't remember me, so I'm just gonna move on!" I really wanted him to say something like "I'll find you manling - Gotrek Gurnisson keeps his oaths!" and continue to search for Felix.

I'd like to see him find a clueless nu-Felix and basically drag him into some crazy poo poo. Hell, even if he never found Felix but kept looking, it would have been great. As it was, it made me sad.

Hopefully he changes his mind in future stories.

ChezWagon
Aug 20, 2002
Its hot until you realize Im having a seizure
I am just starting off with a Soul Wars Stormcast army myself and I was wondering what people thought of Astreia Solbright instead of the Lord Arcanum on Gryph-charger. Her model looks amazing but I'm not sure how much more useful the Lords healing is.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ChezWagon posted:

I am just starting off with a Soul Wars Stormcast army myself and I was wondering what people thought of Astreia Solbright instead of the Lord Arcanum on Gryph-charger. Her model looks amazing but I'm not sure how much more useful the Lords healing is.

The model is indeed amazing, and honestly pretty good for kitbashing even if you don't use her as is. I've seen people make pretty awesome Azyr-themed Dragon-ogre Shoggoths from the mount and an Ogroid Thaumaturge, and I've been using Astreia herself for an armoured-up Ghoul Queen.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

ChezWagon posted:

It depends what you are using them for and how your army is built. Astreia's version of the Command Ability only affects Hammers of Sigmar units so if you are playing Hammers then she's going to slightly cheaper for the same effect. Dracolines are better at charging into combat but the Gryph-Chargers claws are slightly better when not charging. If you are playing other Dracolines then you really want a hero on a dracoline for the Pride Leader mount trait, but the LAGC's healing spell is also pretty good if you have big 5+ wound models. The Gryph-Charger's ability to Ride the Winds Aetheric is pretty great.

Astreia's model is cooler than the LAGC imo and I have one to eventually use as a Lord Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline, but I think Astreia is only worth using if you are playing Hammers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Take her generic version and a bunch of evocators on dracolines and go wreck poo poo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I know I'm "crossing the streams" (as the kids say these days) but: can anyone tell me, roughly, how big an AoS Blood Warriors of Khorne are next to a Primaris (the new big boi marines)?

I'm thinking of how to make Berserker CSMs that don't look like an literal childes next to Primaris marines and the Blood Warriors came to mind.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

richyp posted:

Sab669, do you have the Generals Handbook (2018)? It's pretty much a required rulebook for anything other than open play. It has all the points and the allegiance abilities for factions that don't have tomes etc.

Contrary to my post earlier today, I have since bought it, because I'm an impulsive gently caress.

There's a lot in here. Not sure what to begin "taking in"

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I have three Soul Wars SCE halves and an ordinator coming in the mail. Whee!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:tipshat:

Looks like they'd be just about perfect (Primaris should be "Wow that marine is tall" not "Wow, smolmarines look loving elfin next to them" IMO).

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

TKIY posted:

Where to go from there though, especially with a fairly competitive group of player?

As others have said, get enough dudes to fill up your units. I recently did this and as I complained about a page or so ago, it was more expensive than I wanted. My FLGS has used models, but I couldn't *just* buy two Evocators, had to buy a unit of 5, so I passed. Couldn't find what I needed on eBay, best I could do was a pack of 3 (I am converting the extra Prime). Sequitors similar boat but at least you can get cheap, unique sculpts from the ETB box with only 1 'wasted.'

As far as the army as a whole, I recommend a 2nd Knight Incantor - you can get a great unique sculpt from the Getting Started magazine / online. I played my sons last night and they managed to knock 10 wounds off my Bloodthirster with Arcane Bolts from the Lord Arcanum and Knights, then finish it off with the Evocators doing more mortal wounds, all before the Bloodthrister was able to attack once. If you get that and add a Lord Exorcist you get a warscroll. That is my next addition to the army.

dexefiend posted:

I might actually finish this loving army.

8 Khorgoraths, 20 Wrathmongers, 20 Skullreapers, and some characters are still left to go.

I used my 20 quickly painted ones in a game yesterday and was quite happy with how fast they painted up, but you have more than tripled my little group. Looks great! How do you run them? I mostly got mine to die and fuel Blood Tithe. Do you take them as MSU, or run big units that actually try to get poo poo done?

Schadenboner posted:

:tipshat:

Looks like they'd be just about perfect (Primaris should be "Wow that marine is tall" not "Wow, smolmarines look loving elfin next to them" IMO).

I converted 5 Blood Warriors as Berserkers, and they are ok. The Gorefists were kind of a pain to cut off, but I think the models overall look great. Keep in mind that they look like they are wearing leather boots rather than armored ones, so that might throw you off. I am also 100% convinced we will get new Berserkers next year, and I bet they will be fairly large, at least on par with the new Blackstone marines. Sure hope I am right on the timing because I have been waiting for over a year to add more Berserkers to my World Eaters and I need 'em!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm a little confused by the wording on the Celestar Ballista's Chained Lightning ability:

Celestar Ballista posted:

If the hit roll for an attack made with a Celestar Stormbolt scores a hit, that attack inflicts D6 hits on the target instead of 1. Make a wound and save roll for each hit.

Just wanted to make sure I understand this right:

* Roll to hit (1 attack at 3+, or 4 attacks at 5+)
* Assuming I hit with the 1 @ 3+, I then roll D6
* Make D6 Wound rolls (followed by saves)

And if I made the 4 attacks at 5+, would I roll Nd6 where N is the number of successful 5+ hits?

Or is it just like a weapon that makes D6 attacks in 40K in that I'd roll the D6 first, then roll to Hit & Wound?

Also, since this Ballista has 2 attack profiles can I shoot both of them in a round, or only 1? I assume both by 40K logic, but also it's a loving Ballista so I would also assume I can't?

Edit: Fortunately I have all of the Warhammer: Underworlds models - so I can add my Steelheart's Champions, Farstriders, and Cursebreakers to my Soul Wars collection... Are the Cursebreakers in the General's Handbook? Battlescribe says they're Free, which can't be right...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 13, 2018

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I'm a little confused by the wording on the Celestar Ballista's Chained Lightning ability:

Just wanted to make sure I understand this right:

* Roll to hit (1 attack at 3+, or 4 attacks at 5+)
* Assuming I hit with the 1 @ 3+, I then roll D6
* Make D6 Wound rolls (followed by saves)

And if I made the 4 attacks at 5+, would I roll Nd6 where N is the number of successful 5+ hits?

Or is it just like a weapon that makes D6 attacks in 40K in that I'd roll the D6 first, then roll to Hit & Wound?

Also, since this Ballista has 2 attack profiles can I shoot both of them in a round, or only 1? I assume both by 40K logic, but also it's a loving Ballista so I would also assume I can't?

1. The former. You roll to hit then you roll d6 wounds per hit.

(The latter would simply be expressed as D6 attacks on the weapon profile)

2. There is another special rule on the warscroll after Chained Lightning that stipulates that you must choose one of the profiles when you shoot.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, right. I knew that was there but I guess I forgot. And I wasn't sure if "D6 Attacks" was a thing in AoS which is why I was confused by "inflicts D6 hits". Thanks!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Experimenting with my Underworlds models before I even assemble my Soul Wars stuff. Averon Stormspire finished, and I think I'm pretty pleased with how the gold and metallic green came out. I tried doing a thin white layer over the spray painted silver base but I don't love how that came out.

Also I used P3 Pig Iron for the rim of the base, which is a bit darker than the armor but I'm not sure it's quite as dark as I hoped. Thoughts / C&C?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
There are only black rims.

Unless you are doing a Goblin Green retro army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

There are only black rims.

Unless you are doing a Goblin Green retro army.

Agreed. Consider the rim as your picture frame - there is a reason most photo frames are black. If you do a black rim, it's really going to make your model pop.