Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Lots of Navy dudes itt seriously evaluating galley food pros and cons.

Eat crabs crabman. Quit being a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m sorry but it’s just not up to my usual all you can eat seafood buffet at the Sheraton on Waikiki beach. I’m gonna have to lodge a complaint somewhere.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
AT to Pt Huememe or Gulfport. You will never gripe about an installations chow hall again because holy poo poo do Seabees have the worst galleys

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m sorry but it’s just not up to my usual all you can eat seafood buffet at the Sheraton on Waikiki beach. I’m gonna have to lodge a complaint somewhere.

Make sure to route it up an Air Force Reserve chain and you'll get hazard pay because there's no golf course. Hardships man, the Air Force knows them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Hardships man, the Air Force knows them.

Must be pure hell, living ~90 minutes away from every conceivable thing available and imaginable in Los Angeles. I'm sure the poor bastards on Diego Garcia, Guam, or Kwajelein really empathize with these fuckers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Must be pure hell, living ~90 minutes away from every conceivable thing available and imaginable in Los Angeles. I'm sure the poor bastards on Diego Garcia, Guam, or Kwajalein really empathize with these fuckers.

Having lived at both Guam is massively superior to Edwards. Edwards is much further than 90 minutes. and even living in Palmdale was nearly 2 hours to get to The north edge of the city. It’s a miserable place in the middle of the desert.

Guam is a beautiful tropical island.

Diego Garcia and Kwajalein at least aren’t places where you could spend your whole career.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Some of the people I know really enjoyed Kwaj. I don’t think the same is true of Diego Garcia.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Navy has better locations than the AF, overall. There's the occasional AF gem, but most of the surviving bases are not in good places. Imagine if most of your options were like Fallon.

Complaining about San Diego and Guam. Yeesh.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Diego Garcia and Kwajalein at least aren’t places where you could spend your whole career.

There are always tales of merchant mariners who spend an entire career prepositioned in Diego but I'd have to imagine that's about the only people who would spend that long there

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

Having lived at both Guam is massively superior to Edwards. Edwards is much further than 90 minutes. and even living in Palmdale was nearly 2 hours to get to The north edge of the city. It’s a miserable place in the middle of the desert.

Guam is a beautiful tropical island.

I only visited but I'd take Guam over Okinawa any chance it were given. It's like ghetto Hawaii with less people.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Diego Garcia looks like a Corona commercial but after about 2 weeks it gets old as gently caress

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is Guam really a secret island nation that disappears if you don't wear special glasses

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is Guam really a secret island nation that disappears if you don't wear special glasses

Beer goggles. And yes

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cross Posting

RandomPauI posted:

There was a collision between a Norwegian frigate Hilge and an oil tanker. The frigate was beached and there were hopes that'd keep it from sinking but...

Phone posting from the app. Those images are cobbled from two seperate posters. I tried image preview but the preview didn't load. I assume they aren't leached and won't break tables.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ron Jeremy posted:

Cross Posting

Twitter thread with a bunch of photos of the Norwegian frigate, including better pictures of the damage:

https://twitter.com/JosephHDempsey/status/1060493536070680576

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Just really glad to see that no one was killed because of this. I'm trying to figure out the angle of the collision, because the AIS picture doesn't appear to show the Frigate's position. It looks like the tanker punched in a bit too, which given it's size, wouldn't have been difficult.

I think they made a smart move in grounding it. Hopefully it will be easier to get the necessary pumps onboard from there.

But yeah. Really happy that no one was killed and the reported injuries were minor.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Laranzu posted:

Beer goggles. And yes

Is there anything you'd tell a fool who's going there for the first time?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Stay out of the strip clubs. Unless you like dropping hundreds of dollars on a friend who overcharged his credit card.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dejan Bimble posted:

Every white girl on Guam is unironically either in the military, a military wife, or a stripper. Sometimes both at once.

Stay on the west side of the island and dedicate most of your time to the beaches.

The cops don't care about skinny dipping after midnight as long as you have locals with you and are having a good time and not drowning.

There is an all you can eat meat house called Churrasco's. Its good.

About half of the good bars are also strip clubs. Mac & Marti is a good non-stripclub bar that also sold cigars last time I was there.

Avoid the Horse and Cow if you can, or if you do go walk in, buy a drink, talk to a definitely-not-a-stripper, and get out with her.

Depending on your liberty restrictions if you can stay out in town past "closing" you'll have a blast. A lot of bar/stripclub staff go to a handful of places like the korean barbeque behind club USA by knocking on the back door and they serve till about 5am even though they "close" in the evening. Same with some clubs. If you wind up in the building behind a club at 5am after everybody who worked all night had their dinner you'll find the DJ's bouners and strippers doing lines and twerking on pools tables.

Bring lots of condoms.

Be nice to all the mamasans at bars/strip clubs.

If a girl leaves a strip club with you, sometimes because you/one of your friends "bought her out" (meaning paid off the rest of her shift at the club) she'll either take you out drinking with her friends and drink you under the table and hang with you till 10am, or she'll find an easy opportunity to ditch you. You're probably not cool enough for option one.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Cross Posting

FYI Helge Ingstad is just a colloquial name.

Norwegian ships are not officially designated a name, although they do have codes, similar to how there's DDG-114, except where a USN ship would have a plate reading "Ralph Johnson" (in this example), the Norwegian ships just have a specified barcode. This is so that when they dock in Sweden, Finland or Denmark the host port can simply Scandinavian

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 9, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know if it's possible to find archives of old Navy safety magazines? I'm looking for an Aviation safety one, (maybe Approach) featuring a pilot with the callsign "shocker" who lost his ring finger due to a cockpit accident.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

no but it gives me an excuse to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

simplefish posted:

Norwegian ships are not officially designated a name, although they do have codes, similar to how there's DDG-114, except where a USN ship would have a plate reading "Ralph Johnson" (in this example), the Norwegian ships just have a specified barcode. This is so that when they dock in Sweden, Finland or Denmark the host port can simply Scandinavian

How long you been sitting on this groaner?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

simplefish posted:

i lold

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

LingcodKilla posted:

How long you been sitting on this groaner?

It's a very old joke but the timing is rare and ripe

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

simplefish posted:

Terrible joke but amazing delivery

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

Came here to second most of this stuff. If you don't already have a scuba cert, get one while you're there. Strip clubs / bars can be fun, but for the love of god have something to do that doesn't involve getting shitfaced. That said...

The after-hours bars kind of move around but are usually a good time if you can find one. My favorite bars in Tumon were definitely Mac and Marti's and the Tower of London. If you're out into the wee hours of the morning, definitely check out the Cracked Egg. Also seconding Churrasco's: don't pass on the roasted pineapple really don't pass on anything there.

Some friends of mine from the boat hooked up with what I'm certain were the only non-stripper non-mil white girls on the island (massage therapists/clubmates at PIC). Like unicorns for the most part though.

To add to the bit about buying out a stripper, don't let a stripper take you to her place. They're all pretty gross off-stage anyway. Most of them live in squalor in the stripper barracks.

And don't go to Vikings unless you want a stripper to whip your rear end bloody with a belt, all to the raucous applause of a bunch of Japanese tourists and your "friends".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Alternatively go to vikings and make fun of the stripper as she whips your rear end. :smuggo:

it will hurt even worse the next day but at least you probably made some new local friends from it

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

scripterror posted:

To add to the bit about buying out a stripper, don't let a stripper take you to her place. They're all pretty gross off-stage anyway. Most of them live in squalor in the stripper barracks.

You mean to tell me strippers don't have salty stripper master chiefs yelling at them for sweepers in the stripper dome?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

scripterror posted:

And don't go to Vikings unless you want a stripper to whip your rear end bloody with a belt, all to the raucous applause of a bunch of Japanese tourists and your "friends".

My friends actually stopped me from drinking a beer that had been in a buttcrack at Vikings.

Thats how I knew they were good "Navy Friends"

Jimmy4400nav posted:

You mean to tell me strippers don't have salty stripper master chiefs yelling at them for sweepers in the stripper dome?

You've never met a Mamasan have you?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
4 day weekend. A bunch of students got voluntold to be in their dress uniforms to match in a parade Monday. So they have uniform inspections this weekend and muster all Monday to march down the street for Armistice Day 100.

Hahaha. So glad I'm out.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vriess posted:

4 day weekend. A bunch of students got voluntold to be in their dress uniforms to match in a parade Monday. So they have uniform inspections this weekend and muster all Monday to march down the street for Armistice Day 100.

Hahaha. So glad I'm out.

Yeah, marching in a parade, that sounds horrible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

poo poo in Pensacola?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Kawasaki Nun posted:

This, but unironically

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

EBB posted:

no but it gives me an excuse to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I

Someone make versions of holiday safety standdowns like this so people actually pay attention and save a life.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Uh... yeah?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It is though?

Have you ever marched in a (military) parade before? It's loving awful.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
And then the parade is over and you hit the bar in your dress uniform and a nice lady takes you home?

I guess if you're married and hate being bought drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I guess it could be horrible if your unit expects actual drill instead of vaguely-in-step straightaways.