Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lol working 10am-630pm on Thanksgiving and closing Black Friday.

"We'll have turkey for you guys" they say. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Someone just called me asking to work a double on thanksgiving.

I guess that's a freebie.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

I really sincerely hope I’m wrong and you don’t answer your phone this time because you deserve a holiday weekend off... but it seems like smart money to bet that you will end up working that Friday and Saturday anyway. I mean you KNOW people are going to call off, right?

You know, you may be right. I'm only getting 20 hours that week and that makes me anxious. I may want more hours to beef up ny paycheck before I go shopping for Christmas.

But also, gently caress black friday. They're having a BOGO on holiday drinks and frappucinos. gently caress that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm not sure I get you, Penta. Why spend two weeks being anxious instead of just resolving that you're not working those two days for any reason, period, end of story?

They will not fire you over it. I promise.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I love that not only did someone set one of my endcaps with the wrong poo poo, but they hung a sales sign in front of it with the correct item written in bold. Nobody noticed until I pointed it out, whereupon it was determined neither I or the MOD had time to fix it, so gently caress it.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

every time I restock bagged carrots, an elderly woman appears out of nowhere and flips over every single bag, then shuffles away without buying any of them.
every.
time.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

So one of my managers volunteered to open the other day, and she ended up getting a visit from the DM, had to throw someone from stock into the main fitting rooms because they didn't finish the self service fitting room move overnight, and had the registers go down so we could only take cash and credit under $50.

A lesson in never volunteering for anything.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
One of our stores moved recently to a smaller location, with a parking lot about a quarter of the size of the old one. Place used to be a bank, so there's a drive-thru window and part still. And nowhere for delivery vans to park and unload.

I am amused to see that despite how nice the place looks, they did forget to order one thing. loving garbage dumpsters. They have a pile of garbage bags and moving trash along the back delivery door, and filling the drive-thru. It's almost cute.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
wait; are you telling me American banks have loving drive-thru like a Mcdonalds?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

wait; are you telling me American banks have loving drive-thru like a Mcdonalds?

They used to be common, though many of the staffed windows and vacuum tubes are being replaced with drive up ATMs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just about every bank in America had them between about 1980 and 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Why does this surprise you? I'm 100% positive we have drive-through gun stores.

cephalopods posted:

every time I restock bagged carrots, an elderly woman appears out of nowhere and flips over every single bag, then shuffles away without buying any of them.
every.
time.

Old people and big families are the bane of my existence. Old people at least trend toward being polite, but they're constantly in the loving waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

And I nearly knocked someone over today because instead of saying "excuse me" as they were going past while I was in a freezer, they just tried to squeeze past. When I finished what I was doing, righted, and came away, we bumped. If I'd have been moving faster, she'd have been on the floor.

It's really hard to hear something as subtle as movement with your head in a giant, cold, humming box.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Two weeks before Thanksgiving, which means lots of annoying walks. Unfortunately for me, being at a remodel store and a grand reopening Friday next week, the spotlight is shining extra bright on us. The #2 guy that's in charge of nearly 3000 stores is walking our store... before it even opens. That means, lots and lots of various bosses will be in nitpicking poo poo and stressing us out. I went shopping today for a dress shirt and tie that I'll wear twice next week and probably won't use again for years.

Can't wait until the holidays over, even if everything goes perfectly, I'm stepping down from management. I have a decent chance of taking a pay cut equivalent of only $2/hr which is nothing to me. The reason is because I'm sick and tired of being in charge of people who have no motivation to hustle, care to do tasks proficiently, take the initiative to do quick fixes when minor problems arise, unable to do basic computer poo poo, going to leave within 2 years anyways.

When I first started about 18 years ago, people treated the job like a career and gave a half a poo poo. Lots of those people are now retired and what's left are very few motivated to be managers and those who act like the world owes them - millennials and younger.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Why give a gently caress about a company that views you as a disposable asset that can be replaced when convenient? If I bust rear end, its because I want to, nothing else. If I feel like doing gently caress all and the required work for the day is done, I'm doing gently caress all.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

ijii posted:

When I first started about 18 years ago, people treated the job like a career and gave a half a poo poo. Lots of those people are now retired and what's left are very few motivated to be managers and those who act like the world owes them - millennials and younger.

I'm a millennial with a full time position in retail (one of the most stress-free in the store, but I get paid on the same scale as the actual hell-positions, which is an entirely different problem) and I cannot afford rent anywhere in this extremely rural county. If my parents didn't own a house I'd be hosed.
So yes, I do feel like the world kinda owes me something. I bust my rear end five days out of seven, on a shift that leaves me no room for social stuff on my days off without trashing my sleep schedule and becoming even more miserable, and I still have to live with my parents?

And there's no reason for me to go into management. More responsibility, more hours, and only a token raise? gently caress that. If the company wants me to think of my employment as a "career", they need to offer me a living wage at the absolute minimum. Instead I'm basically trapped here because my full time schedule leaves me no time to seek something better or get back into school.

Don't get me wrong, I do my fair share. I know any extra work I create for my coworkers is just going to loop back around to me, and I'm too neurotic to shoulder the (imaginary) guilt of letting anyone down. But I absolutely cannot blame those people who you say "have no motivation". They're almost certainly not being paid enough to care.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

ijii posted:

I hope you realize that for everyone entering the field, it's not a career. There's little to no pathway to financial security in the job they're in, and the compensation is nothing short of insulting. It's either be a bootlicker, which isn't an option for everybody even if they are willing, or wallow in the cesspit that is entry-level jobs forever. They have every right to feel they deserve more, and it's because they do.

They'll give a poo poo when they can afford rent, aren't left questioning whether or not they'll die on the street if they get sick, and know that at the end of it they can eke out some form of retirement. Until then, you get what you pay for and it's nothing but the desperate and the dispassioned.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I used to give a poo poo about my job and then my store manager gave me a 12% pay cut with zero warning and smirked when I told him I could end up homeless because of it. I'm just another entitled millennial I guess, because that was the beginning of the end of me caring at all about the company :shrug:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

ijii posted:

Two weeks before Thanksgiving, which means lots of annoying walks. Unfortunately for me, being at a remodel store and a grand reopening Friday next week, the spotlight is shining extra bright on us. The #2 guy that's in charge of nearly 3000 stores is walking our store... before it even opens. That means, lots and lots of various bosses will be in nitpicking poo poo and stressing us out. I went shopping today for a dress shirt and tie that I'll wear twice next week and probably won't use again for years.

Can't wait until the holidays over, even if everything goes perfectly, I'm stepping down from management. I have a decent chance of taking a pay cut equivalent of only $2/hr which is nothing to me. The reason is because I'm sick and tired of being in charge of people who have no motivation to hustle, care to do tasks proficiently, take the initiative to do quick fixes when minor problems arise, unable to do basic computer poo poo, going to leave within 2 years anyways.

Tell me about paying for college by working summer jobs next grandpa.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I felt a budding sense of pride in my job when I got promoted and then I realized how badly my manager could screw me, like when he scheduled 10 people for Friday peak and only 3 people for mid shift so I had a train wreck to clean up and then he gave me two newbies to close with tonight.

All for $11 an hour. I got paid today, too. Even with a few hours overtime I didn't break $650.

Now I can promise you I won't be answering my phone on black friday. 20 hours that week be damned, I'll live.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

ijii posted:

Pay them enough to care, and they'll care. I'm a security guard; we got a three dollar an hour raise roughly a year ago, and my location has never been more goddamn motivated in the 6 years I've been here.
"Goddamn millennials, wanting to be paid like they're people. In my day..."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The other angle on this, from management’s perspective, is that if you pay a little bit more than your competitors, it buys you a lot of ability to actually demand high performance from your staff and fire those who don’t perform. Every retail employee in your area will want to work for you. And doubly so once word gets around that you don’t force your good people to do three jobs while the bad people do gently caress-all; the bad people actually get fired. Your increased sales and customer loyalty would more than pay for the pay increases.

Now here’s the $40,000 question: Why doesn’t any company ever do this? Retail executives are not stupid; never confuse selfish for stupid. They have a reason, and from their twisted perspective it’s a sound one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

My favorite Drive Thru I have ever seen is Frozen Daiquiris in New Orleans. There are Daiquiri shops everywhere around New Orleans, which essentially is those frozen slushees you see at gas stations, but loaded with tons of booze.

You would think open container being legal in New Orleans would be good enough, but no, most of those Daiquiri places have a loving drive thru, so you can drive up to the place, get your alcoholic beverage, and drive away while drinking it.

It blew my mind on how bad of an idea it seemed to be for me safety wise.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I was gonna mention how Aus has drive through bottle shops instead of banks, so you can drive off with a slab of cold beer in the front seat having never left the car, but, uh

:stare:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Anora posted:

Don't have to deal with the boyfriend of my coworker anymore, turns out he's now on the run from the cops for beating someone up with a crowbar, which they found in my coworker's car.

Also, I don't have to deal with it, because I'm night crew, but my store is open earlier on Thanksgiving.

The Aardvark posted:

Lol working 10am-630pm on Thanksgiving and closing Black Friday.

"We'll have turkey for you guys" they say. We'll see.

SaberToothedPie posted:

Someone just called me asking to work a double on thanksgiving.

I guess that's a freebie.

Glad I live in a state that still has Blue Laws that require all retail except pharmacies, grocery and convenience stores (and even then, pharmacies have to be of the 24 hour type, and the latter two need a permit from the town) to be closed on Thanksgiving.
To the point that literally nobody is allowed in the store AT ALL from 12:00:00am to 11:59:59pm

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ijii posted:

millennials and younger.

Just as a reminder. 31 and 32 year olds are millenials too. Also eat the rich.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

our future was stolen from us, why the gently caress do you think i should care about my barely-above-minimum-wage retail job that only benefits the people doing the stealing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

My favorite Drive Thru I have ever seen is Frozen Daiquiris in New Orleans. There are Daiquiri shops everywhere around New Orleans, which essentially is those frozen slushees you see at gas stations, but loaded with tons of booze.

You would think open container being legal in New Orleans would be good enough, but no, most of those Daiquiri places have a loving drive thru, so you can drive up to the place, get your alcoholic beverage, and drive away while drinking it.

It blew my mind on how bad of an idea it seemed to be for me safety wise.

The legal ruling was that it's not an open container until someone puts the straw through the lid. The shop didn't serve you a drink while you were driving, they just gave you a closed vessel and a straw. What happens after that is on you! :angel:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I remember reading in the company newsletter ( I was bored ) this "inspirational" story about how a 16 year old boy got a part-time summer job at the store to buy a new Corvette or a Chevvy or something, bought the car, then stayed on with the company for 20+ more years, rising up to become a store manager and all that poo poo.

Meanwhile, most of the people at the store now can't afford things like health insurance, education, or children.

Why should your employees do more than barely work when they're barely getting by? You don't pay chop prices and get t-bone steak.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

I felt a budding sense of pride in my job when I got promoted and then I realized how badly my manager could screw me, like when he scheduled 10 people for Friday peak and only 3 people for mid shift so I had a train wreck to clean up and then he gave me two newbies to close with tonight.

All for $11 an hour. I got paid today, too. Even with a few hours overtime I didn't break $650.

Now I can promise you I won't be answering my phone on black friday. 20 hours that week be damned, I'll live.

This is my quarterly reminder to retail employees that if you can hack customer service, are good enough to get promoted, and are able to clean up nice, you should probably just go work in a bank. Starting pay is $12-15 per hour, you get benefits, vacation, and a possibility of making a real career at that company. Once you get past the front office nobody every yells at you again too.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Eric the Mauve posted:

The other angle on this, from management’s perspective, is that if you pay a little bit more than your competitors, it buys you a lot of ability to actually demand high performance from your staff and fire those who don’t perform. Every retail employee in your area will want to work for you. And doubly so once word gets around that you don’t force your good people to do three jobs while the bad people do gently caress-all; the bad people actually get fired. Your increased sales and customer loyalty would more than pay for the pay increases.

Now here’s the $40,000 question: Why doesn’t any company ever do this? Retail executives are not stupid; never confuse selfish for stupid. They have a reason, and from their twisted perspective it’s a sound one.

If the people who ruin everything around them for their own worthless pile of money aren't stupid then who is?

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 10, 2018

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

therobit posted:

This is my quarterly reminder to retail employees that if you can hack customer service, are good enough to get promoted, and are able to clean up nice, you should probably just go work in a bank. Starting pay is $12-15 per hour, you get benefits, vacation, and a possibility of making a real career at that company. Once you get past the front office nobody every yells at you again too.

Seconded. Getting a back office role at the bank loving rules. Now I just bitch about office politics instead of facing irate clients.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Lord Bude posted:

I remember these from when I was a kid. You had the teller window attached to the bank, but there might also be several additional lanes. But, you're so far from the window, how could you possibly do your transactions?

Pneumatic
loving
Tubes

Having my parents let me put the bank slip into a container, putting the container into a tube, then watching it whiz away before whizzing back with a receipt or money or whatever was super neat to tiny me

:unsmith: memories

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Volmarias posted:

I remember these from when I was a kid. You had the teller window attached to the bank, but there might also be several additional lanes. But, you're so far from the window, how could you possibly do your transactions?

Pneumatic
loving
Tubes

Having my parents let me put the bank slip into a container, putting the container into a tube, then watching it whiz away before whizzing back with a receipt or money or whatever was super neat to tiny me

:unsmith: memories

And also them sending back one of those lollipops with the loop on the end instead of a stick. It was always safety suckers. Haven't seen those in a while.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Some complete loving idiot decided to sit in front of our store in his car and fondle a pellet rifle. I live in California. In case you haven't kept up on the news we've had 2 mass shootings in the state this week. Its hard to believe being the person who sends out a text to everyone with the words "My store is about to get shot up". I never thought I'd hear the words "there is someone outside with a rifle in his car"

Police swarmed the guy but considering how fast they left I'm assuming it was a pellet gun. loving idiot.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Pentaghastly posted:

And also them sending back one of those lollipops with the loop on the end instead of a stick. It was always safety suckers. Haven't seen those in a while.

Do they even make those any more?

My manager is 'threatening' to hire 2 more people because our partners can't/won't open their availability. I pointed out that I literally can't open it any more than I have and she tried to tell me that I'd limited my available hours on the days I work. Nice try sweetie, but I have open-close available on the five days I am able to work, and I haven't changed that in over 4 years. You're not gonna get me to work the two days I'm not available because I need SOME time away from your poo poo.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Do they even make those any more?

My manager is 'threatening' to hire 2 more people because our partners can't/won't open their availability. I pointed out that I literally can't open it any more than I have and she tried to tell me that I'd limited my available hours on the days I work. Nice try sweetie, but I have open-close available on the five days I am able to work, and I haven't changed that in over 4 years. You're not gonna get me to work the two days I'm not available because I need SOME time away from your poo poo.

Our SM cut two of our more seasoned partners down to ~16 hours a week because they changed their availability. God forbid after working there for over a year they want one (1) weekend day off without having to request it. He said he would do this, that some partners are going to be hurting for hours because they won't open their availability more. Sucks that he's hurting the wrong people. These partners rarely call out, know their poo poo, and come in to help 50% of the time at least and he's loving them over because they want a saturday/sunday off. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they're looking for other jobs or putting in transfer requests.

And since they're only getting 16 hours that means I only get maybe one close a week where I don't feel like a babysitter and want to take off my headset and hide in the storage closet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I used to work Sun-Thurs, opening shift. Then a new manager came on and wanted that shift, but I kept the days off, so worked a full Sunday (open to close which was maybe 7 hours) then midshifted the next four days. Easy.

A new girl transferred over, and she was promised weekends off. But then she didn't get them, because I refused to change my days off for hers (which were Wed and Thurs). She had Sunday off, that was all she'd get from me. So needless to say the manager didn't want to gently caress me over so he hosed her over instead. Then again I don't know how you get promised weekends off during an interview and no one laughs when it's loving retail.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Came into work this afternoon and found that someone had rearranged my area without giving a coherent explanation to anyone who'd be around to communicate it to me. Rearranging poo poo is kind of her job on Saturday/Sunday, but a lot of my poo poo is about to go on sale (vegetables, it's almost Thanksgiving in the US) and my orders are difficult enough without my available space shifting around without notice. So, wasting an hour or so of my shift on a Saturday, I re-rearranged it all. I'm sure it'll be moved around in a completely different manner when I come in tomorrow, but... gently caress. You agreed I should be an orderwriter. Let me manage my section and don't gently caress with it.

Protip for anyone in retail leadership or defacto-leadership: do not deliberately make someone else's job more difficult unless you have a very good reason for it, and you can be bothered to communicate that reason to the person you're inconveniencing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

And since they're only getting 16 hours that means I only get maybe one close a week where I don't feel like a babysitter and want to take off my headset and hide in the storage closet.

But you... *are* a babysitter. That's more or less the job description of a shift lead.

I don't know how you feel about it but I'd say wait until about 6 months as a shift lead and then start applying to work somewhere else. Is the extra $1.50 or $2 an hour worth all the extra bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I used to work Sun-Thurs, opening shift. Then a new manager came on and wanted that shift, but I kept the days off, so worked a full Sunday (open to close which was maybe 7 hours) then midshifted the next four days. Easy.

A new girl transferred over, and she was promised weekends off. But then she didn't get them, because I refused to change my days off for hers (which were Wed and Thurs). She had Sunday off, that was all she'd get from me. So needless to say the manager didn't want to gently caress me over so he hosed her over instead. Then again I don't know how you get promised weekends off during an interview and no one laughs when it's loving retail.

Hell, I can't believe she BELIEVED them when they promised weekends off for her.

I just have a vague seniority when it comes down to scheduling, since I've had Tuesdays and Saturdays off for literally the past 8 years. I have reasons for it, and since I work the rest of the week she really can't complain. I may have slid into opening shifts, but I'm still available literally from 4am-10pm every other day.

It's been bad today with "give vets/active military free brewed coffee for Veterans' Day", and people get weird over free/discounted poo poo.