Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the most personally influential S/D/S albums for people in this thread?

Sleep's Holy Mountain was genuinely a life changing experience for me. It's how I got into this entire type of music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-Jigs
Apr 1, 2005

its a cookie
The first time I heard Ball of Molten Lead by YOB was basically a religious experience for me.

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
YOB - Grasping Air

Thou - Summit (whole album)

Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea

The Ocean - Precambrian (okay, more prog but amazing and they just came out with the sequel)

Isis - Oceanic

And for good measure, the list of non popular sds bands that changed my musical life - these are probably more recommended than the above since they’re not huge:

Adrift for Days - The Lunar Maria

KAMNI - A.T.O.M. and self titled

Horseback - The Invisible Mountain

Jack and the Bearded Fishermen - Places To Hide

Judd Madden - Drown/Float

Major Kong - Orogenesis

Moss - Sub Templum

Natural Snow Buildings - Shadow Kingdom (not sds, just cool drone)

Snailking - Samsara

Tank 86 - Rise

Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash

35007 - Sea of Tranquility

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Besides being a long time Sabbath fan and all the bands like Witchfinder General, Candlemass, Trouble and St. Vitus in the 80s that showed heavy influence from them, I remember hearing the first Kyuss album in '91 and thinking this is really a thing. Yeah, Kyuss, Electric Wizard and the Melvins took s/d/s to a new level for me.

Specific albums:

Melvins - Gluey Porch Treatments

Kyuss - Wretch

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 9, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Reverend Bizarre - Return to the Rectory, esp “Goddess of Doom” which is basically a big list of all the doom bands they like
Ufomammut - Eve
Sub Rosa - More Constant Than The Gods
Thou - Heathen
Dolorian - Voidwards

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

starting a Friday morning with new Evoken is a great thing https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/hypnagogia

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the most personally influential S/D/S albums for people in this thread?

Sabbath was an obvious staple when I started college in '91 and discovered the joys of music + :catdrugs: but for the niche stuff in this thread it wasn't until I picked up Surrounded by Thieves after reading a review when it came out, that I wanted to deep dive into that doom sound. It sounded dangerous and the band members were all made out of resin. Panopticon from ISIS whet my appetite for post-rock sludge.

It's odd how tastes can change and expand. Back in the 90's, I wanted clean vocals and shoegazey guitar. Smashing Pumpkins were my number one band. Ministry was heavy. I swore I'd never be into bands with harsh vocals and black metal grows. Decades later and I'm pre-ordering that Inter Arma record because I can't get enough of the sludge.

Random aside: King Buffalo were ridiculous last night and they played to a room of maybe 40 people.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the most personally influential S/D/S albums for people in this thread? Not necessarily stuff you still listen to regularly, but albums which had a significant effect on your appreciation or perspective towards the style(s).

"World Coming Down" by Type O Negative in 2000 to some foray into Crowbar in 2001 or 2002, then "Tears of Mortal Solitude" by Forest Stream in 2003. Reverend Bizarre in 2005 was what finally sent me down the path, saw them live opening for a black metal band called Ajattara, Albert was wearing naught but his underpants and combat boots, Void was also topless and had angel wings to boot. My life was forever changed.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I always cite Melvins' Lysol EP as a fundamental album for me and one of the heaviest things I've ever heard but no one ever knows what I'm talking about.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the most personally influential S/D/S albums for people in this thread? Not necessarily stuff you still listen to regularly, but albums which had a significant effect on your appreciation or perspective towards the style(s).

Black Sabbath's Greatest Hits 1970-78 (then the actual albums later on)
Dopethrone
When the Kite String Pops
Take as Needed for Pain
Broken Glass
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Through Silver in Blood
In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
Watching From a Distance

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Darthemed posted:

Queens of the Stone Age were my gateway band. I saw the "No One Knows" video on MuchMusic, then got as many of their songs as I could find on Kazaa. Then I heard about this band called Kyuss that the QotSA guitar player used to be in. I could only find a couple of their songs to download, but they sounded cool, so I went to A&B Sound and bought "Sky Valley" on CD.

QotSA were one of the most influential live shows I saw too, on the Lullabies tour in 2005. What were some other shows that influenced y'all?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Acid Bath made it click for me. They're still my favorites I think!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Queens of the Stone Age were my gateway band. I saw the "No One Knows" video on MuchMusic, then got as many of their songs as I could find on Kazaa. Then I heard about this band called Kyuss that the QotSA guitar player used to be in. I could only find a couple of their songs to download, but they sounded cool, so I went to A&B Sound and bought "Sky Valley" on CD.

QotSA were one of the most influential live shows I saw too, on the Lullabies tour in 2005. What were some other shows that influenced y'all?

Oh yeah leaving Blues for the Red Sun off my list is a major oversight. I was obsessed with the two big Kyuss albums in high school.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
I took a class on heavy metal for a GE as an undergrad. One of the weeks focused on stoner/doom. The professor had required listening each week, and had Sleep's Dopesmoker as "bonus listening". I listened to it five times in a row, the rest is history.

If I remember correctly the professor said he was in the middle school band with Al and that was when he first learned what pot smells like.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really enjoy music growing up, until I was given a dubbed tape of Primus's "Seas of Cheese" album. That's not stoner/doom but the guy who gave it to me basically said, "Oh, and there's this hillbilly band called Clutch that you might like, too."

From reading Clutch's message board I found Kyuss, and then that lead me to (eventually) Los Natas, Colour Haze, Sleep, Om, ISIS, Sunn0))), WeedEater, and Electric Wizard.

So I guess I have to thank/blame a guy who dropped out of high school in 1996 for introducing me to decent music.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I'd say hearing the classic Black Sabbath stuff when I was a kid did it for me, but my fandom for S/D/S really didn't pick up until I heard Fu Manchu's "King of the Road." Ever since then, it's been a nearly 100% dose of S/D/S.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

I took a class on heavy metal for a GE as an undergrad. One of the weeks focused on stoner/doom. The professor had required listening each week, and had Sleep's Dopesmoker as "bonus listening". I listened to it five times in a row, the rest is history.

The history of Rock and Roll class where I went to college was an honors course. What bullshit.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I - like I’m guessing a lot of people - went from Queens of the Stone Age -> Kyuss -> diving deep into stoner. Which led to sludge, doom, etc.

I had always liked Sabbath but I didn’t know what to call it other than old metal/hard rock.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

I took a class on heavy metal for a GE as an undergrad. One of the weeks focused on stoner/doom. The professor had required listening each week, and had Sleep's Dopesmoker as "bonus listening".

That sounds really cool 😳

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Black Sabbath albums + Dopethrone taught me all about the way slow and loose can be incredibly heavy.

Sunn and Om made me realize how ritualistic, meditative and spiritual doom/drone can be. Even if I didn’t realize it early on.

Boris/Wata is why Orange is my amp is choice.

Watching from a Distance thoroughly hosed me up as a sad introspective teen and is still one of the most humbling albums to listen to. Very few albums hit me so deeply. It’s unbelievably powerful. All of his music is like that really but WfaD is something special.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 10, 2018

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Weaponized Cum posted:

Acid Bath made it click for me. They're still my favorites I think!

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Nativity In Black posted:

This is loving good.

EDIT: Like, one of the bet sludge releases I've heard this year.

Yeah they're cool, here's an interview with them: https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/11/09/dirge-interview/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Was at a brewery last night and right as I walked in Funeralopolis started and I learned they play about half an hour of the wiz as their closing music every night. Definitely going back there.

Funeralopolis was what solidified me as a doom fan, years before I had ever smoked a weed.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

Was at a brewery last night and right as I walked in Funeralopolis started and I learned they play about half an hour of the wiz as their closing music every night. Definitely going back there.

Funeralopolis was what solidified me as a doom fan, years before I had ever smoked a weed.

Which brewery? Kindred is ALWAYS playing Dopesmoker in their bathrooms. They otherwise have a stoner/doom playlist going in the restaurant.

Dopesmoker, Satan Worshipping Doom and Dopethrone, in that order, made me a diehard sds fan. I was really into prog metal and concept albums and found that sds is really good at building atmosphere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Local Option in Chicago is always playing metal and they’re particularly fond of doom and stoner stuff. They also had a habit of playing my own band’s stuff whenever our frontman would take dates there.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Atlas Brew Works is the best s/d/s venue in DC, arguably the best for metal in general. Sipping a beer called HaSaWoDo while watching Bongripper play on the factory floor :discourse:

Plus when the backdrop for the show is several large beer vats you can make "heavy metal, heavy metal" dad-jokes between bands

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

They also had a habit of playing my own band’s stuff whenever our frontman would take dates there.

That's an establishment that has your back.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Whooaaa gently caress these riffs are too heavy I can’t handle em all

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Fu Manchu played an awesome show. I think that's the best one I've seen them do yet. They did a lot of the new album, which sounded great, and the rest of the set was mostly killer Brant-era songs.

"Il Mostro Atomico" worked really well live. Balch is a great guitar player in his own right, so he was able to shred through the solos almost as well as Lifeson does on the album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Fu Manchu played an awesome show. I think that's the best one I've seen them do yet. They did a lot of the new album, which sounded great, and the rest of the set was mostly killer Brant-era songs.

"Il Mostro Atomico" worked really well live. Balch is a great guitar player in his own right, so he was able to shred through the solos almost as well as Lifeson does on the album.
I've listened to that track a ton, but really not sure what stuff is his on that track? Is he pretty much doing all the soloing?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Nice.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Two Minutes to Late Night is the best late show. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Cmvvc9ZmyQ412RzXhYoEg

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

hatelull posted:

I've listened to that track a ton, but really not sure what stuff is his on that track? Is he pretty much doing all the soloing?

I'm not sure if he does all the solos or if he and Balch trade off.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It makes me wonder if that track was a long distance collaboration and Lifeson just added the his guitar tracks to a mix from his home studio or if they actually jammed on it together.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hatelull posted:

It makes me wonder if that track was a long distance collaboration and Lifeson just added the his guitar tracks to a mix from his home studio or if they actually jammed on it together.

I'm curious about it too. I mean Lifeson has been on Trailer Park Boys a bunch so he seems like a cool dude, it wouldn't surprise me if they jammed together in person especially considering the length of the track.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Eat The Rich posted:

Two Minutes to Late Night is the best late show. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Cmvvc9ZmyQ412RzXhYoEg

It really is. The covers they do are amazing. Purple Rain and Wrecking Ball are two of my favorites they've done.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flirty dental hygienist posted:

It really is. The covers they do are amazing. Purple Rain and Wrecking Ball are two of my favorites they've done.

Suspicious Minds was great, too.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I'm so glad there are other fans of the show. :D

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Eat The Rich posted:

Holy poo poo! This is great!

Added to my ever growing list of YouTube channels.

Thanks. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Kvlt! posted:

I'm curious about it too. I mean Lifeson has been on Trailer Park Boys a bunch so he seems like a cool dude, it wouldn't surprise me if they jammed together in person especially considering the length of the track.

:agreed: