Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Starsfan posted:

when looking at the deadlines in Florida and it says the unofficial results are due tomorrow, does that mean that they can't keep on counting the ballots after that date / time? It's just machine and hand recounts from that point forward?

is the only hope for the democrats getting a judge to extend that deadline? what if there are still tens of thousands of ballots left to be counted at the time of the deadline?

there's legal routes you can try if you do have a ton of ballots left, but so far as i understand there simply aren't tens of thousands of anything lying around.

the fact that no one has tried to get that deadline extended in court makes me think they expect to be done on time, but i guess we'll see tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

Sunday: Is there a Matt Whitaker doppelganger?

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1060202102214066178

God I hate Shadow Tom Hanks.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

TARDISman posted:

God I hate Shadow Tom Hanks.

You mean Collin Hanks

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So the acting AG believes that Marbury vs Madison is invalid, that the Supreme Court and Judicial Review are not constitutional, that states have the right to nullification of any federal law, and that biblical law is the law of the land...

Anything else about this guy we should know? :stonk:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Guys...

Whitaker might break Scaramucci's record!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

No. He shits the thread up, he generates a disproportionate amount of reports, he sealions, and he's generally a shitter. I appreciated his gimmick and thought it was funny before the election but he's not funny anymore. He's free to post in other threads that are less high volume than this one, where we can watch him more easily.

He generates reports because he's willing to disagree with people when they post bs. Looking through his post history itt almost every post is provable statements and simple facts, usually backed with relevant quotes or links or at least easily falsifiable. I'm not sure why people see this as trolling, I think there's a certain kind of person who can't distinguish an argument about facts and evidence from moral/political statements.

I personally am happiest when people disagree and are willing to talk to one another about why and LT2012 fosters that environment. Maybe some people just want somewhere where everybody has exactly the same beliefs and where their nonsense can go unchecked. When earlier today one of the people who hate Leon was telling him to get out, I realized that even though I recognized their avatar, and they had posted in the last Trump thread for years, I couldn't remember a single thing they had ever said. And when I looked at their history it was all bland and tedious nothings, one line tv/iv commentary I had simply blocked out. I don't want that to be this thread, I want people who are interesting and willing to risk going against orthodoxy if its they have something worth saying.

Anyway that's enough posting about posting for me today, plz put me on probation in solidarity with Leon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

If Trump loses in 2020 the bigger and unambiguous the loss the better, otherwise he will without a doubt make things NASTY for the country and his base will fall in line with conspiracies.

Ah gently caress it, their mouths will foam with rage no matter what

I haven't heard anything to make me think he's in danger. The Democrats were just handed the majority and the mandate to start loving him up , but they're not talking about indictments , or impeachment, or even just healthcare , education and wages. Instead they're talking about bipartisanship and compromise even as Trump is flying off the goddamned handle and snapping at everyone like a cornered animal.

This fuckers not going down in 2020 if all he's facing is ~18 months of democratic boot licking.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
again the solution is engagement and non regressives constantly calling their reps/senators and teling them what to do.

loving grab the levers of power and figure out how they work.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

I haven't heard anything to make me think he's in danger. The Democrats were just handed the majority and the mandate to start loving him up , but they're not talking about indictments , or impeachment, or even just healthcare , education and wages. Instead they're talking about bipartisanship and compromise even as Trump is flying off the goddamned handle and snapping at everyone like a cornered animal.

This fuckers not going down in 2020 if all he's facing is ~18 months of democratic boot licking.

The Democrats haven't even met yet. Don't they need to, like, get together and discuss their strategy? They've mostly just spent the last year campaigning (talking) on health care. Next step is to pass bills, but they aren't actually in Congress yet.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Ghetto Prince posted:

This isn't really true, health care was pretty much the number one issue that Democrats campaigned on - https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/24/17897962/health-care-campaign-ads-democrats-2018-midterm-elections-voxcare

Like the bits and pieces you hear about are what the media reports on, and they pretty much just want the horse race both sides stuff because they have to pretend that the parties are equivalent and the Republicans haven't completely gone off the rails

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guze posted:

This is the same fucko that had 2 years of investigations ready for Hillary

"They're going to pepper the White House with investigations!"
"When I was chairman and was peppering the White House with investigations..."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Don't forget he voted to take away healthcare the day after he had knee surgery and scooted in to vote on his leg scooter

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghetto Prince posted:

quote:

healthcare

they are

quote:

education

they are

quote:

wages

they are

even if we're just referring to Nancy Pelosi, at least statements 1 and 3 still apply, it's just that she mentioned the b-word and certain people flipped out and listened to literally nothing else she has said since the election

apparently nobody has a transcript of her press conference or interview, sadly, so the quotes I can pull out are limited, but:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-pelosi-idUSKCN1NC2MW

quote:

“Healthcare was on the ballot and healthcare won,” Pelosi, the House’s top Democrat, said of the Tuesday elections that gave her party a controlling majority in the House. “We won because from the beginning we focused on healthcare.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/07/nancy-pelosi-announces-bid-house-speaker/1926471002/

quote:

In her letter to both returning and newly-elected House members, she highlighted defending protections for those with pre-existing conditions, raising the minimum wage and cleaning up the corruption in Washington.

oh hey, a letter? sweet, i bet I can pull it up

https://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/11718-5/

quote:

We will defend protections for people with pre-existing conditions, keep Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid off the chopping block, and lower health costs and prescription drug prices for all Americans;
We will raise workers’ wages with strong economic growth by rebuilding America’s infrastructure;
We will clean up corruption to make Washington work for the American people.

Chair for the House Committee on the Education and the Workforce:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meet-the-new-agenda-setters-in-the-house-1541586602

quote:

Virginia Rep. Bobby Scott, the first African-American to serve in the House’s Virginia delegation since reconstruction, will take the helm of the Education and the Workforce Committee.

A lifelong advocate for increased student and worker protections, Mr. Scott is likely to take up a reauthorization of the law governing higher education next year. A draft bill released by committee Democrats in July shows they would likely concentrate on college affordability, in part by making federal financial aid more generous and cracking down on for-profit colleges using unethical recruiting practices that leave students with long-term debt they can’t pay back. One area the bill is unlikely to touch: free college, an idea popular with the left that many democratic policymakers think unworkable.

Mr. Scott, who opposed the nomination of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, is also likely to call her in for more committee hearings, on issues ranging from guns in schools to civil rights protections and the secretary’s agenda to deregulate the for-profit college industry.

Mr. Scott, 71 years old, has also expressed interest in several hot-button labor issues, including raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour and pushing mandatory paid family leave. His committee has introduced additional legislation that would increase labor-union protections, after a Supreme Court decision in June gutted a core pillar of public-sector union strength.

Also, look for the newly-Democratic committee to weigh a name change—to the Committee on Education and Labor—its erstwhile title until Republicans under former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich adopted the word “workforce,” a word preferred by employers. The committee’s name has seesawed along with control of Congress ever since.

--

tldr: you're wrong

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Chuck Schumer has been more useless compared to Pelosi who has at least managed to keep the Dems in the House unified. Schumer is the one that should step down and make way for a younger person in the senate.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

TulliusCicero posted:

So the acting AG believes that Marbury vs Madison is invalid, that the Supreme Court and Judicial Review are not constitutional, that states have the right to nullification of any federal law, and that biblical law is the law of the land...

Anything else about this guy we should know? :stonk:

There is non-trivial amounts of amusement produced by the acting AG arguing for stripping the Supreme Court of all of its power just a month after conservatives secured a long-term majority on the court.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lote posted:

Chuck Schumer has been more useless compared to Pelosi who has at least managed to keep the Dems in the House unified. Schumer is the one that should step down and make way for a younger person in the senate.

This forever. Schumer has been loving useless.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

what a weird loving world.

That's the understatement of the week, brotha.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lote posted:

TulliusCicero posted:

This forever. Schumer has been loving useless.

The other senators are afraid of dethroning Schumer out of risk that he'll cut off all the blood money that pours into the senate bring up their SAT scores and lecture them about what his made up family would say about their behavior.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Schumer literally hears voices in his head. Get that gently caress out of any position of power.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For those not familiar with the house, the chairs if the various committees like judicial or finance do not act at the whim of the speaker. They keep her updated but they have their own autonomy, and the people in charge of the relative committees have publication stated they are going to investigate Trump's obstruction of Justice, corruption, and finances. Their goal is to get the receipts and post them to the public done they have no power to remove him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lote posted:

it's entirely possible he's talked about all three of the things Ghetto Prince was ignorantly complaining about too, but i'll be honest, i can't really be bothered to defend chuck schumer specifically even re: falsehoods or potential falsehoods

he's all the bad things people imagine Pelosi is and more

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's entirely possible he's talked about all three of the things Ghetto Prince was ignorantly complaining about too, but i'll be honest, i can't really be bothered to defend chuck schumer even re: falsehoods or potential falsehoods

he's all the bad things people imagine Pelosi is and more

To illustrate:

Pelosi is arguably the person responsible for making Paul Ryan rage quit the Speaker role because Ryan had to thread the Democrats and the Freedom Caucus.

Schumer can’t even get all Democratic senators to vote against Kavanaugh.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
If Schumer goes, how are we ever going to know what the Baileys think?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lote posted:

To illustrate:

Pelosi is arguably the person responsible for making Paul Ryan rage quit the Speaker role because Ryan had to thread the Democrats and the Freedom Caucus.

Schumer can’t even get all Democratic senators to vote against Kavanaugh.

i'm not actually sure kavanaugh is a good example but i'm not going to disagree too hard with Schumer Bad

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Guze posted:

This is the same fucko that had 2 years of investigations ready for Hillary
Did anyone on the program even tangentially bring that up?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Remember when the Democrats all wanted to condemn the embassy move to Isreal as support of an apartheid state, and Schumer was like "It's so great to have a president supporting Isreal!" :downsbravo:

Remember when he said we need to keep appealing to the made up upper class families in New York because reasons?

Remember whenever the left does anything progressive Chuck wags his finger like a dissapointed parent?

Remember when he had DACA in his hands and could have let the House poo poo Lord Caucus take the blame for the shutdown, but he loving punted?

Schumer is useless. We need a new Senate leader. Warren, Harris, Brown, I don't care.

Sidenote, but praise loving Satan the House Idiot Screaming Gibbon Caucus is finally loving dead, and we don't have to endure Speaker of the House Jim loving Jordan

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately nazi caucus isn't too far off it's already here.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

2022 needs to have someone primary Schumer

...AOC? somebody in her mold, probably

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Schumer is a poo poo, and I won't defend him in-and-of-himself. But as the leader of the causus, that video Trump hilariously circulated of him wordlessly stopping Manchin from standing during the SOTU with a mere glance tells me he's probably doing a lot more to control the Senate Ds than we give him credit for.

Things could have been a lot worse in that chamber during these first two years given the proclivities of the now mostly-slaughtered Blue Dogs, but Schumer made the Rs eat every single vote that a lot of them clearly didn't want to. He's probably the chief reason Collins has been completely exposed from her facade of reasonable centrism, and why McCain was able to kill the Obamacare repeal.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
When we say that Schumer is terrible, it should be pointed out that he’s terrible compared to Harry Reid. That guy knew how to run the Senate and even when on the ropes, he could get some jabs in, like that time Ted Cruz accidentally allowed Reid to push a bunch of confirmations through.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Carlosologist posted:

2022 needs to have someone primary Schumer

...AOC? somebody in her mold, probably

Cynthia Nixon?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

Remember when he had DACA in his hands and could have let the House poo poo Lord Caucus take the blame for the shutdown, but he loving punted?
Pelosi bears just as much responsibility for this one.

The rest I agree with and if I got to choose between deposing one of Schumer or Pelosi, it's Schumer no question.

But they both suck.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lote posted:

When we say that Schumer is terrible, it should be pointed out that he’s terrible compared to Harry Reid. That guy knew how to run the Senate and even when on the ropes, he could get some jabs in, like that time Ted Cruz accidentally allowed Reid to push a bunch of confirmations through.

It's wierd looking back how much I miss Harry Reid. Dude was soft spoken but man did he know how to play the game, and he ran circles around the GOP.

We need something like that in this era.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cynthia Nixon made enough iffy mistakes to make me think she probably doesn't have the chops to succeed at that, though I appreciated her attempt to dethrone noted king poo poo of gently caress mountain Andrew Cuomo.

Her running mate, Jumaane Williams, is somebody I would really like to see go places tho.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Does Schumer have full access to the Democratic machine in New York? I know that was a big part of why Nixon lost the primary.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

TulliusCicero posted:

It's wierd looking back how much I miss Harry Reid. Dude was soft spoken but man did he know how to play the game, and he ran circles around the GOP.

Pictured: Soft spoken man and future Boxing Hall of Famer Harry Reid

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/551037257550151680

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TulliusCicero posted:

Harry Reid was a pro boxer and tried to strangle a dude who tried to bribe him

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

Harry Reid was a pro boxer and tried to strangle a dude who tried to bribe him

I just read that. Said dude also tried to car bomb him?

Holy loving poo poo, Harry Reid was a badass :stare:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Squalid posted:

Free Leon Trotsky 2012

gently caress you, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I ultimately voted for Nixon for a variety of reasons I think she was a pretty poor candidate and wouldn't stand much of a chance against Schumer even without any "machine" stuff.

But like, there's 3-4 years for a better candidate to step forward, no?

TulliusCicero posted:

I just read that. Said dude also tried to car bomb him?

Holy loving poo poo, Harry Reid was a badass :stare:

As I recall a character in Scorsese's Casino is (loosely) based on him.