Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, so we're back-pedaling from bullying to "oh, boo hoo, I got a blue T-shirt instead of a pink one I was expecting as a GIIIRL". This is going to be outdated within the next decade if it isn't already.

:how:
a little too hopeful I think

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Just train your kid to be a good fighter and beat the the poo poo out of bullies. The state is legally obligated to provide an education so she'll get schooling one way or the other.

Yeah if you're going to do some poo poo like that you need to create a badass. Just don't get your rear end kicked by your own kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah if you're going to do some poo poo like that you need to create a badass. Just don't get your rear end kicked by your own kid

If you're not raising your kids to be better than you, you're failing as a parent. :shrug:

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, so we're back-pedaling from bullying to "oh, boo hoo, I got a blue T-shirt instead of a pink one I was expecting as a GIIIRL". This is going to be outdated within the next decade if it isn't already.

Are... Are you trolling?

Come on man

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

...what?

ArbitraryC didn't even post on the topic until right then and you literally did not even understand what the quote was getting at :v:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you're not raising your kids to be better than you, you're failing as a parent. :shrug:

I want my hypothetical kids to be able to kick my rear end, I don't want them to kick my rear end

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Kids don't make fun of weird names, adults do. Real life isn't an eighties movie. There is a child at an elementary school here named loving D-Dragon and his sister is Ocean. There is a kid named Telmo. One is named Tautau. Oliver. None of these kids get picked on for their names. Face it, the next generation is better than ours.

Fake edit: tbf I don't think any of those names are bad so my perspective is certainly skewed. I also have a weird name and only got teased for maybe ten minutes in high school and it was mostly funny. Also D-Dragon is a sick name.

Vvv it is. They are in first grade, already know to plant trees and save water and turn off the lights to help stop man-made climate change. And they are really empathetic and sweet :3: kids are awesome and they are only getting more awesome

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 10, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

failing forward posted:

Kids don't make fun of weird names, adults do. Real life isn't an eighties movie. There is a child at an elementary school here named loving D-Dragon and his sister is Ocean. There is a kid named Telmo. One is named Tautau. Oliver. None of these kids get picked on for their names. Face it, the next generation is better than ours.

It better be, it's got about a few decades left, better make the most of it. :smith:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

extra row of teeth posted:

You can't, but you can greatly lessen the odds for your child just by not doing dumb poo poo like handing the class an easy way to make fun of them. Kids are loving evil and will pick on anyone for any reason. If you were a little poo poo who would you pick on, John or Thaddius?

lol can you name one unpopular person in the entire history of the world so unfuckwithably generic bullies couldn't come up with an easy way to make fun of them. All "I wanna give this guy poo poo but... but... I got nothing! He's flawless!"

the three hundred pound kid with a lisp named Lesbiosis who's outgoing and funny and throws good parties where his parents don't notice all the beer is gonna be class president and right out in front of picking on the shy awkward creep whose dad's license plate is CUK841. This is also equally true of adult life BTW, if you haven't figured it out.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 10, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Work in any job where you're exposed to shitloads of names all day long and you'll quickly a)grow numb to weird names, and b)realize they're not limited to the current generation of kids and teens. I'd be lying if I pretended there wasn't any correlation with birthyear, but it's not like everyone sat down one day and decided that weird baby names/names that are a weird spelling of a 'normal' name were going to be a thing starting now.

And I can't even do the "well people will spell their name wrong all the time" hand-wringing about the weird spelling of a 'normal' name group because I have a semi-common name with its traditional spelling and people still somehow mispell it more than they get it right.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

really if you're gonna be all "what will the neighbors think???" about kid names you could at least go on the offensive instead of playing defense and getting outsmarted by every mean twelve-year-old in the universe. Name your kid Revelations so everyone thinks he's from some crazy redneck cult family that'll go horror movie on anyone who fucks with their boy

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

really if you're gonna be all "what will the neighbors think???" about kid names you could at least go on the offensive instead of playing defense and getting outsmarted by every mean twelve-year-old in the universe. Name your kid Revelations so everyone thinks he's from some crazy redneck cult family that'll go horror movie on anyone who fucks with their boy

https://slate.com/human-interest/2013/09/puritan-names-lists-of-bizarre-religious-nomenclature-used-by-puritans.html

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
OK wait, there’s a kid whose legal name is “D-Dragon” like with a hyphen and everything?

I don’t think I like that. I should, but I don’t. I can’t.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

burial posted:

OK wait, there’s a kid whose legal name is “D-Dragon” like with a hyphen and everything?

I don’t think I like that. I should, but I don’t. I can’t.

He is awesome and so is his name :colbert:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Obviously personality matters as well as family status but again, why send your kid out the gate with an easy tool for bullies to use against them when there are a billion other names out there that will age better? I knew a guy in middle school named Christy and the dude was mental, guessing his parents reeeallly wanted a girl.

This guy is an idiot turd for choosing the name loving THEODORE, for a girl, in the 21st century, as the hill to die on with his wife.

would you say it's his Bay of Pigs?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Guess the keyword.

holy poo poo this one is fuuuuuuuucked up:

:sever:

"the last one" posted:

My insurance has a clause that states that they will not cover any costs related to Aspergers/Autism,

Bullshit

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I remember reading a popular press article a few years ago about a study that had come out concluding that women with typically male names fare better professionally and earn more money. Supposedly the highest earning female attorney in Virginia was named Bruce.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

therobit posted:

I remember reading a popular press article a few years ago about a study that had come out concluding that women with typically male names fare better professionally and earn more money. Supposedly the highest earning female attorney in Virginia was named Bruce.

I also read a similar article, but it discussed how if a boy is given a girl's name, he learns how to stand up for himself and travel the US looking for the son of a bitch who named him Sue.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I will name my child Pleuron

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
my husband [35m] hates my [31f] new birth control

quote:

We have three kids already, 2/3 were conceived while I was on the pill. I tried to be careful about taking it at the same time every day, but I just wasn't vigilant enough and now I have three kids.

My husband is against me getting my tubes tied since it is such an invasive surgery, but I have decided that I need to go on a birth control that doesn't require as much accuracy. I have tried an IUD, the depo shot, and an implant in the past and had tons of issues with all of them. My husband didn't like the way nuva ring felt when we were intimate. I started the patch and I love it. Just a weekly switch with a low margin of error is a lot easier for me.

My husband gets mad and rants about my patch every time he sees it (it's on my arm.) He tells me it's SO unsexy, I should go back on the pill because he doesn't want to see the patch all the time. I don't know what to do or say. I think he should get over it, though telling him that seems like I'm asking for an argument. However, if the option is the patch or going on the pill and having a higher risk of messing up again, this is non negotiable for me. I just don't understand why he's making such a big deal out of a patch the size of a band aid that he barely even sees. What do I do?

tl;dr My husband hates my patch and wants me to go back on the pill, even though the pill has failed for me twice

quote:

He won't get a vasectomy because he's holding out hope that we'll have another kid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

He should get a retroactive vasectomy because he should not have had any offspring.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Haifisch posted:

I'm going to come out of left field with "impregnation fetish". He can't stand visible BC, or that he felt the nuvaring. I'm betting he sabotaged the pills somehow to make it hotter, leading to those kids.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
At least Pnurtis is gender neutral.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

failing forward posted:

He is awesome and so is his name :colbert:

I meant more, like, conceptually. I can’t like that it happened. I can’t like that one parent, let alone two, were all YES WE ARE DOING THIS. Now that they did though, I wish D-Drags nothing but the best in life.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not if the school has a good anti-bullying program.

I think I’ve heard of these, they’re called AR-15s in America right?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HazCat posted:

I mean was that poster a guy with a feminine name or a girl with a masculine name, though? As a child, I would have been absolutely stoked to automatically get blue tags and boys stuff. It's not an equal thing across genders.

I also think Theodore is a cool girl name and would definitely hang out with a female Teddy.

Same. I wrote a story once with a female character named Theodore Rose.

Male names for girls has been a trend for ages. Kelsey, Leslie, Kelly, Jamie... I think Teddy would be a pretty cute nickname for a girl.

Although, I’m also a big fan of Elliot for a girl, as it allows for the option of a feminine nickname with Ellie or Elle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nessa posted:

Male names for girls has been a trend for ages. Kelsey, Leslie, Kelly, Jamie... I think Teddy would be a pretty cute nickname for a girl.

Although, I’m also a big fan of Elliot for a girl, as it allows for the option of a feminine nickname with Ellie or Elle.

A lot of names that are "girls` names" were in the past popularly and sometimes more likely to be held by men. Like Dana Andrews, Aubrey Herbert, Courtney B. Vance, etc.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Nessa posted:

Kelly is 100% a girls name in my country. As is jessie

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

You can't, but you can greatly lessen the odds for your child just by not doing dumb poo poo like handing the class an easy way to make fun of them. Kids are loving evil and will pick on anyone for any reason. If you were a little poo poo who would you pick on, John or Thaddius?

This is an argument by cowards, who will raise coward children. People will pick on you for whatever reason, literally letting it change your actions in life regarding how you name your child is such spineless bs. if you teach your kids to be awesome it won't loving matter.

Good luck with your potential future kids Ted, Donald, Jeff, and Kellyanne.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 10, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How can you let the argument go on this long without mentioning Pnurtis

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m an rear end in a top hat so I would love it if I knew people with a girl named Theodore because I would give her hiking equipment and National Park passes for every birthday and Christmas

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The whole bullying thing is not really the point, the mum doesn't like the name and the dad is being pouty about it. Obviously the fact she sarcastically said yes to his unexpectedly serious proposition colours things, but if he can't accept it was a misunderstanding and help find a name they are both happy with he needs to get over himself. He doesn't even seem to have given a REASON he wants his child to have that name

I know a few people with unusual names their parents gave them, and generally it's less about outright bullying, they just get sick and tired of people making the same comments or the same assumptions and would far rather have a more typical name. I imagine a girl with a typically masculine name is going to run into a constant stream of comments/mistakes from organisations and new acquaintances that she'll at best get mildly annoyed with on a continual basis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Plus with Theodora she can play Civilization V with a civ leader named after her.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Plus with Theodora she can play Civilization V with a civ leader named after her.

Gonna name my future kid Genghis. Son or daughter, doesn't matter.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 10, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah its just the tedium of explaining that stinks. I work with a woman whose name is hispanic and yet is the male ending and every single conversation she has with a new person starts with a disclaimer involving her name and you can tell it is draining for her. She said she used to regularly get people point blank asking her if she was trans or if her parents wanted a boy and instead got her but has thankfully gotten far enough in her career people dont do that as much anymore.

Or in my case where people look at the mess of vowels and letters in my last name and regularly decide "hrm, to hell with attempting an educated guess, lets boldly go with adding a few letters to this name so I can say this name as vulgarly as my mind can go". A positive though is as I improve my career it has become fun to financially punish people for this but Im not sure naming your children so they seek revenge on people is the right way to go.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Fatkraken posted:

The whole bullying thing is not really the point, the mum doesn't like the name and the dad is being pouty about it. Obviously the fact she sarcastically said yes to his unexpectedly serious proposition colours things, but if he can't accept it was a misunderstanding and help find a name they are both happy with he needs to get over himself. He doesn't even seem to have given a REASON he wants his child to have that name

I know a few people with unusual names their parents gave them, and generally it's less about outright bullying, they just get sick and tired of people making the same comments or the same assumptions and would far rather have a more typical name. I imagine a girl with a typically masculine name is going to run into a constant stream of comments/mistakes from organisations and new acquaintances that she'll at best get mildly annoyed with on a continual basis

Brushing off the "well I thought he was joking!!!" thing as a misunderstanding is dumb, honestly

Whatever you want to say about the name or whether it's a good name for a child, it's the name he wanted and she 100% did agree to it and now she's walking it back when they're about to have the kid

Like sure do it if you really don't want that name but she absolutely did kinda gently caress him over here and he can be mad if he wants

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The real reason people are giving more unorthodox names, on average, today is because our social circles have widened to the point where they can think of at least one person they hate with a more "traditional" name, so they HAVE to branch out a little.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

dudeness posted:

At least Pnurtis is gender neutral.

Pnurtis El Pup.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/sex
Posted by u/UnderCoverWilly
Use my virginity to help science?

quote:

To put it very simply, I recently went through a worldview transition from a Judeo/Christianity worldview to a Humanistic worldview. I have always valued science, but now I have a newfound appreciation of it. I have also never had sex. I was thinking that maybe there's a way I can use my (fairly) unique circumstance (a late-twenties male virgin) to help advance science in some way. Does anyone know if there is a way I could use my virginity to do that? Maybe some surveys or studies that I could participate in?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I want my hypothetical kids to be able to kick my rear end, I don't want them to kick my rear end

Ride that razor's edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The woman I dated recently wrote in our group text that she was having sex with someone else, only three weeks after brushing me off. How should I take this? (me: 25, her: 30)

quote:

I dated a woman casually for seven weeks. This was my first ever relationship with a female. Really liked her. She lost interest and delivered a passive, but clear rejection. I was crushed, but to my knowledge I didn't give her any reason to doubt that I’d gotten the message, and tried to act unbothered. I made the mistake of trying to stay “friends,” which I now realize she probably didn’t really care about, but merely allowed, as long as I only hung out with her in a group setting. She must have known I still liked her. Three weeks after going cold on me, she announced in her group text, which included me, that she was loving someone else that night. A month prior to this incident, she had made plans to spend that weekend with me. That was the end of the “friendshit” because I realized I had to get the Hell away from her. I'm doing a post-mortem analysis of this relationship and thinking about how to take this. She is very open about her personal life, and I'm not in the least surprised that she would share that information with her close friends. But it seems pretty cruel that she lacked the calibration to at least withhold it in my presence, when we had been dating less than a month prior. It felt like a kick in the face. What do I make of it? Was she bullying me? Telling me to F off? I cut contact immediately and she called (with a girlfriend in the line of course) to check on me, as if she couldn’t understand why I disappeared... I told her to take me out of the group text and we pretty much never talked again, and doubt we ever will.

TL;DR: three weeks after dumping me, she shared in group text that she was f*cking someone else

Once he said :females:, we all knew where this would go.