Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dorstein posted:

And then the parade is over and you hit the bar in your dress uniform and a nice lady takes you home?

I guess if you're married and hate being bought drinks.

Its been 50 years since that was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Laranzu posted:

You've never met a Mamasan have you?

Nope, they havn't let me leave Florida in almost two years.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dorstein posted:

And then the parade is over and you hit the bar in your dress uniform and a nice lady takes you home?

Having a 96 hour liberty or maybe getting laid

You know you can get laid without giving up your 96 right

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dorstein posted:

Or get mustered afterward, put right back on a bus and driven out. But yeah sure you go spit some game bro.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

M_Gargantua posted:

Its been 50 years since that was a thing

Friend, allow me to talk to you about a magical time of year called Fleet Week...

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Since the night life on Guam was covered, I will make some recommendations for food.

Meskla Dos has the best burgers on the island. Period. One of the only things that I miss from being stationed there.

Pochon Chicken has some super tasty wings, I would recommend not going above medium heat though.

Mermaid's Tavern has a pretty decent tap for micros and has really good gumbo.

Please be careful if you get in the water. The currents there are very strong, and it really sucked cleaning the blood out of the bird, especially when it was a Sailor.

Check out Pagat Cave, Marbo Cave, Priest Pools, The Thousand Steps, and go on a Hash.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

vulturesrow posted:

Friend, allow me to talk to you about a magical time of year called Fleet Week...

Yeah..... FW NYC was magical.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah..... FW NYC was magical.

TBH NYC is the only one I've experienced and I'm not sure the other locations could be as good. But Fleet Week NYC...never take your uniform off. I even managed to get the Navy to pay for me to sleep at Ritz-Carlton in Lower Manhattan...

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

We were supposed to do NYC FW in 2011 but Arab Spring kicked off

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Or get mustered afterward, put right back on a bus and driven out. But yeah sure you go spit some game bro.

The chain of command who perpetrates that evil deserves to be relieved for loss of confidence.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dorstein posted:

They're loving a school students, they're not going anywhere after the parade except back to the barracks.

Even if they weren't students, anyone advocating for marching in a military parade has brain worms.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

PneumonicBook posted:

They're loving a school students, they're not going anywhere after the parade except back to the barracks.

Even if they weren't students, anyone advocating for marching in a military parade has brain worms.

Your point is a good one. I can barely remember A-School since I did one of the dumb computer-based ones and was done inside of three weeks.

Too bad we can't treat junior enlisted like adults until they gently caress up. C'est la vie.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I'm still pro-marching in non-military parades. Astoria, Oregon puts on a good regatta.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dorstein posted:

I'm still pro-marching in non-military parades.

Same.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Lou Takki posted:

It is though?

Have you ever marched in a (military) parade before? It's loving awful.

I'm particularly bitter from being a nuke and being regularly bitched up. Marching in a parade would've been a top moment for my enlistment.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm particularly bitter from being a nuke and being regularly bitched up. Marching in a parade would've been a top moment for my enlistment.

Give those nukes a parade, they need more reasons to kill themselves.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

gently caress that's depressing as hell

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Navy Nuke Thread: gently caress that's depressing as hell

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

This is what will happen. They're students. They will be mustered outside of the barracks with a uniform inspection an hour before the ride so a reinspection can happen, get bussed, remustered, march, remustered, and bussed back to the galley then disbursed to their duty sections.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
So got post-school shore options: Most of them are in Norfolk (mostly instructor slots) with a DESRON billet in Hawaii, two NROTC slots (one at VMI and another at the Mass. Maritime Academy) and another at Dahlgren which I'm fairly confused about.

Leaning towards Hawaii just because it will be different from what I've done, and most people I've spoken with say that Hawaii is nice. I'll probably put down Norfolk as my other top options with the MMA ROTC spot as my 4th.

I know as a noble this sounds terribly trite, and "oh no two shore duties!" but I am curious as to what you all think.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

So got post-school shore options: Most of them are in Norfolk (mostly instructor slots) with a DESRON billet in Hawaii, two NROTC slots (one at VMI and another at the Mass. Maritime Academy) and another at Dahlgren which I'm fairly confused about.

Leaning towards Hawaii just because it will be different from what I've done, and most people I've spoken with say that Hawaii is nice. I'll probably put down Norfolk as my other top options with the MMA ROTC spot as my 4th.

I know as a noble this sounds terribly trite, and "oh no two shore duties!" but I am curious as to what you all think.

Where ever you can teach the most people from your experiences.

But it Hawaii you have a greater than average chance to run into some old clueless second class.

So there's always that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah crab man mobilizes to Hawaii on occasion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hawaii is nice. DESRON 31 will be a lot of work, for sure, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. Hawaii is great.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Yeah crab man mobilizes to Hawaii on occasion.

gently caress I could go for some ABC mushabi right now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

(This is based on seeing what PHIBRON SWOs did so probably different)

DESRON staff would seem like a good place to knockout an Assistant N3 or N7 Training DH tour. I am sure that would set you up for other follow-on shore tour as a more senior LT.

NROTC Professor would be a good fit to work on a Masters that the Navy pays for in both time and location.

Dahlgren seems like a trap that would be a lot of work for a shore tour.

I guess it all comes down to what you see yourself in the near to mid-term goals.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Valley Stared posted:

Fight for hawaii. I will tell all my local friends to buy you all the drinks and show you all the cool spots. Frequent dinner partys! Major hiking! Weekly volleyball on the glassy sands of Lanikai beach! Pilots and Scuba divers! Giant flottillas of boats at the Kanehoe Sandbar!

Hawaii is pretty much amazing if you avoid the stereotypical military crowd and the tourist areas.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I did a lot of research into this over the course of a few years and can tell you that the best mai tais in Hawaii are at the Hale Koa's Barefoot Bar.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

I did a lot of research into this over the course of a few years and can tell you that the best mai tais in Hawaii are at the Hale Koa's Barefoot Bar.

But the best breakfast is half a mile down the beach at Dukes Canoe club!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Fight for hawaii. I will tell all my local friends to buy you all the drinks and show you all the cool spots. Frequent dinner partys! Major hiking! Weekly volleyball on the glassy sands of Lanikai beach! Pilots and Scuba divers! Giant flottillas of boats at the Kanehoe Sandbar!

Hawaii is pretty much amazing if you avoid the stereotypical military crowd and the tourist areas.

McNally posted:

Nick Soapdish posted:

(This is based on seeing what PHIBRON SWOs did so probably different)

DESRON staff would seem like a good place to knockout an Assistant N3 or N7 Training DH tour. I am sure that would set you up for other follow-on shore tour as a more senior LT.

NROTC Professor would be a good fit to work on a Masters that the Navy pays for in both time and location.

Dahlgren seems like a trap that would be a lot of work for a shore tour.

I guess it all comes down to what you see yourself in the near to mid-term goals.

Thanks for all the Hawaii tips and suggestions. I think it offers the most opportunities to reintegrate into the fleet without necessarily being on a ship. Plus there are training/qualification opportunities that I wouldn't get elsewhere. I likely won't get another shore duty following this (if it's 18 month orders I'll be at 7 years) before I head over to Newport for DH school.

I will say that Norfolk instructor at BDOC or the new JOOD center doesn't sound horrible. I know everyone hates Norfolk, but I would be pretty close to some good family friends, and I know the area.

I also won't need to get a masters at a NROTC unit, because that's actually what I'm doing right now. PGS is nice and I love it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
You could always get another one!

If you end up at Norfolk, I'll buy you a drink.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Imagine voluntarily hanging out at a maritime academy

I always wondered what life was like for our nrotc person bc she was teaching one class at like five dudes at a tiny school in Michigan

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
TVS think about this. Do you look better in tans/whites or blues?

Cuz in Hawaii you will never wear blues.

Gota think FASHION!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

ded posted:

TVS think about this. Do you look better in tans/whites or blues?

Cuz in Hawaii you will never wear blues.

Gota think FASHION!

Women's uniforms are terrible no matter what, so it doesn't matter. Though I like blues better than whites.

Also looked and it seems that my pay is messed up for this month. Glad I caught that early.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I feel very comfortable in saying stay the gently caress away from Dhalgren.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

Not an empty quote.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

I feel very comfortable in saying stay the gently caress away from Dhalgren

But People of Walmart! And the bad pizza place!...and the three other things that are there!

Also had a STO that was out there when the XO tried to cross the street to Walmart to buy more booze and got hit by a car. That was an interesting story to hear.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oops misunderstood him. Just a two day course he starting tomorrow.

Nevermind

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 13, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ManMythLegend posted:

But it's so close* to DC!

*~2-3 hours because of poo poo quality secondary roads and a river being in your way.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But it's so close* to DC!

*~2-3 hours because of poo poo quality secondary roads and a river being in your way.

You can take the metro and its closer to an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Thought Norway was pretty good at salvage operations. Apparently they didn't have their A crew on because the lines snapped and their Frigate is now entirely a submarine.