Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ossipago posted:

Free week of ESO Plus starting 11/15. They're timing it with the next in-game event for earning tickets towards the indrik mount. Are numbers down or something? They're being kind of generous lately. Maybe we'll get a killer Black Friday deal on crowns and/or DLC if they keep this up.

There's always a surge of games that start releasing near the holidays; RDR2, Fallout 76, etc. They're likely just trying to keep people's attention on the crown store ESO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Also... they always put the same discounts on the Steam store as on the ESO store.

Yeah, I was going to add this. Steam runs the same crown sales.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ossipago posted:

Free week of ESO Plus starting 11/15. They're timing it with the next in-game event for earning tickets towards the indrik mount. Are numbers down or something? They're being kind of generous lately. Maybe we'll get a killer Black Friday deal on crowns and/or DLC if they keep this up.

I heard they hired some guy to be in charge of player retention and my guess is that he's trying stuff out

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just wanted to say thanks again to Scarlet_Ibis for the help with setting up my cool little apartment thing, as well as the starter furniture! I really appreciate it :D

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Annath posted:

Just wanted to say thanks again to Scarlet_Ibis for the help with setting up my cool little apartment thing, as well as the starter furniture! I really appreciate it :D

They were a lifesaver here too, my house had next to no light sources or tables until they came along :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just gotta force myself to resist going full Whale and buying that really cool waterfall cave house from the cash shop :ohdear:

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I heard they hired some guy to be in charge of player retention and my guess is that he's trying stuff out

hey I found a description of the job listing from May:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/318841/Get_a_job_ZeniMax_Online_Studios_is_hiring_an_ESO_Monetization_Designer.php

it def sounds like this person got hired and is trying out new things

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pretty sure they've been doing this since before they hired anyone to do player retention.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Annath posted:

I just gotta force myself to resist going full Whale and buying that really cool waterfall cave house from the cash shop :ohdear:

Same, but with the coming Argonian ziggurat home in Murkmire.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SplitSoul posted:

Same, but with the coming Argonian ziggurat home in Murkmire.

Oh dear.

Don't tell me that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Earthtear Cavern is expensive even as far as giant Crown Store-exclusive houses go, and as much as I love mine, I wish I had instead held out for a better option. Hunter's Glade, when it was available, was only 8,000 crowns compared to Earthtear Cavern's 13,000, and it's larger and would have suited my purposes just as well.

Coldharbor Surreal Estate is another manor-sized empty environment, and it's available year-round for 5,600 crowns or 1,000,000 gold—which is definitely doable if you're an established player with a guild trader. It's not only cheaper than all of the manor houses, but most of the large houses as well.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 9, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Annath posted:

Oh dear.

Don't tell me that.

It's probably gonna be 15-16k crowns and unavailable with gold. :sigh: Sure looks nice, though, and there's a furniture pack to go along with it for 2500. It's not listed in the shop yet, but you can preview it from the map.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rollersnake posted:

Earthtear Cavern is expensive even as far as giant Crown Store-exclusive houses go, and as much as I love mine, I wish I had instead held out for a better option. Hunter's Glade, when it was available, was only 8,000 crowns compared to Earthtear Cavern's 13,000, and it's larger and would have suited my purposes just as well.

Coldharbor Surreal Estate is another manor-sized empty environment, and it's available year-round for 5,600 crowns or 1,000,000 gold—which is definitely doable if you're an established player with a guild trader. It's not only cheaper than all of the manor houses, but most of the large houses as well.

I'm a new player, so I've got no gold.

I really like Earthtear Cavern's aesthetic, and I'm not a fan of Coldharbor's.

That said, I haven't seen what this Argonian ziggurat looks like yet.

I'm not totally averse to spending money on in game cosmetic stuff, if I enjoy the game enough.

I've never been the trade baron type even in a decade of playing WoW, so I don't know if I'd be able to scrounge up a couple of million gold :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing a very volcano-themed MagDK lately and loving it. It shreds bosses.

Edit: I really love that they give alliance points as a daily reward, so I can unlock those skill trees without doing PVP.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've been really enjoying playing Warden, and I just got my bear.

I wondered if there were more alternate skins for said bear than just the gray one, and google it, only to find people saying Warden is the worst class in the game by a wide margin

:saddowns: RIP me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Annath posted:

I've been really enjoying playing Warden, and I just got my bear.

I wondered if there were more alternate skins for said bear than just the gray one, and google it, only to find people saying Warden is the worst class in the game by a wide margin

:saddowns: RIP me
It is, but that's because it has three skill trees that don't really work together. Dragonknight has a similar issue but it's not as bad. Focus on the tree that does what you want, build your equipment and character around it, augment with weapon skills. I have a two-bows stamina DPS warden that's a lot of fun.

edit: Also ignore almost all the MMO theorycrafting you find online when you google something. Most of it is out of date or straight up wrong, and this goes for any MMO.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I don't think warden are the worst tbh, they're just the master of all trades - and therefore not the best at anything specific, but really good at everything overall.

PvE - stamden really good. magden a little weak.

PvP - stamden and magden are really good (maybe more open-world for stam).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Disagree? Unless you mean MagWardens in PvE, in which case yes. (it used to be the case that Wardens were comparitively weak, but things have changed)
StamWardens are very strong.
Warden Healers are probably the second most useful in the game right now (after Templar).
Warden Tanks are probably the second most useful in the game right now (After DK).
MagWardens can be very dangerous in PvP.

Re: StamWardens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6hi2Ee58hw

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coldforge posted:

Warden Healers are probably the second most useful in the game right now (after Templar).
Warden Tanks are probably the second most useful in the game right now (After DK).
This is really the issue, but if you like the character go for it. You don't need to be optimized as long as you don't pick a race that's completely wrong for the concept, or Nord for any reason.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I made my warden an altmer and am following the "medium armor and stamina with bear" build preset :downs:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Annath posted:

I made my warden an altmer and am following the "medium armor and stamina with bear" build preset :downs:
How many levels have you gained?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
It's not a BAD combination, in fact it could be quite good if you use a lot of support abilities that require magicka - Bird of Prey, Shimmering Shields, Vines all use magicka. It's not going to be "optimal," but there's no reason to reroll if it's your first character.

Altmer tends to be the race of choice for Magicka users, because of the racial passives they get (magicka regen & larger pool, elemental damage bonus, etc).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

All dunmer, all the time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

FactsAreUseless posted:

How many levels have you gained?

Level 10

I also have a level 18 nord Templar, but I wasn't having as much fun with it.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They've been giving a free trial of ESO+ about every six months for awhile, so us non-subbing scrubs can stuff our banks and houses with stuff, grab dlc dungeon achievements, and dye all our costumes.

Also the grouping tool in the housing editor is a massive QoL boost, holy crap.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Regarding the racial benefits, how "big" of a difference are they in practice?

Like, I'll do a race change rather than re-roll, but I'd only bother if it was actually a significant increase to power.

I'm coming from WoW, where there are definitely races with better racials than others, but none of them are significant enough to make you go "well if I'm rolling a Mage I should make it a Nightborne for max DPS" or anything.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Race only matters if you're trying to squeeze out every bit of performance at endgame. Here's the "defacto best"

Stamina DPS: Redguard
Magicka DPS: Dunmer (could also do Altmer if you're a sorc)
Healer: Breton/Argonian
Tank: Imperial/Argonian

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scyantific posted:

Race only matters if you're trying to squeeze out every bit of performance at endgame. Here's the "defacto best"

Stamina DPS: Redguard
Magicka DPS: Dunmer (could also do Altmer if you're a sorc)
Healer: Breton/Argonian
Tank: Imperial/Argonian

Yeah, then I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm no bleeding edge cutthroat content player :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Annath posted:

Yeah, then I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm no bleeding edge cutthroat content player :v:

Woeler, the de-facto "guy" when it comes to knowing tank poo poo, has a khajiit as his main character.

Race does not matter outside of hardcore min-maxing.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
ya I would not worry about it!!! its cool to have passives that align with your resource type but ultimately they do not matter as much as some internet character build people make it out to be for normal folk who just want to jam out and see the sights and smells of Tamriel and beyond~

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
In honor of Murkmire's most disturbing quest, I decided to make my newest character a Veeshkleel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For anyone else who was having my weird no-icons issue with Skyshards, please download the addon MapPins. It fixed it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Annath posted:

Yardbomb posted:

They were a lifesaver here too, my house had next to no light sources or tables until they came along :v:

Happy to help. Frankly, getting started with ESO's housing is tough. You're given a single light source in a small inn room and good luck, you're on your own! And there's almost no inexpensive conventional furniture you can buy off a vendor. I bet a lot of people got scared away from trying it.

NA PC goons: if you're new to the player housing system or ESO in general, I'm happy to get you started. My account name is @Scarlet-Ibis, and you can either look for me or send me a letter. I'll happily give you some real furniture and resources to get started.

Hachiman
Jun 17, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

For anyone else who was having my weird no-icons issue with Skyshards, please download the addon MapPins. It fixed it.

Good to know, thanks.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Does everyone else have the issue with Map Pins where chest/lorebook/psijic portal markers stay on your map when you move to a different region, accumulating until you reload UI?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How viable/fun to level is Warden frost staff tank? Is your back bar rest staff, fire, or lightning? Or a second frost?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

FactsAreUseless posted:

How viable/fun to level is Warden frost staff tank? Is your back bar rest staff, fire, or lightning? Or a second frost?

Absolutely fine for dungeons. A pure staff tank will have some issues blocking in trials and maybe some vet dungeons, but there is a crazy person in one of my guilds who runs normal Craglorn trials successfully with it.

You could go ice/ice or ice/lightning. You’d want to stay on the ice bar most of the time, using the lightning bar for buffs and elemental blockade.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Bought base game + Morrowind DLC key for $9 on some sketchy backwoods website and I'm liking the Magplar gameplay for now. Could someone toss an invite to @TwoInfinity when they get a chance?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not a warden but, I do a magblade frost staff tank with a dual wield backbar, it's pretty fun and has a lot of utility. Viable in vet dungeons due to a wonky edgecase gear setup, just sturdy as hell, but I haven't really tried her in any of the dlc dungeons. Suspect I'd be just fine there, going by my reasonably extensive experience with a DK tank.

Probably a better backbar would be sword 'n board for Puncture if nothing else; I only have DW for Impale and otherwise it's all buffs and Time Stop. FWIW I use the Defending trait on the staff and one of the swords, so I'm not losing out a lot on armor vs a shield. Psijic skills help a bunch 'cause just having one slotted gives you a damage shield while blocking.

Edit:

At the risk of being mocked endlessly, here's my setup-

Bar 1 (Dual Wield): Introspection, Time Freeze, Elusive Mist, Impale, Siphoning Attacks [Temporal Guard]
Bar 2 (Frost Staff): Blockade of Frost, Elemental Weapon, Dark Shade, Sap Essence, Inner Rage [Devouring Swarm]

Gear sets: Plague Doctor, Ironblood, Bloodspawn

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just got my warden to the level to use a second set of weapons. Currently I've been using a Bow, but I was thinking about using dual daggers as the other set? Is there a better configuration? I've been following the game's "Savage Stalker" preset, which focuses on Bows, Med Armor, and Animal Companion, with a smattering of Green Balance?

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not super concerned with min/maxxing, but I don't want to gimp myself either. What's a good, fun, complement to the bow?