Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the dnc doesn't have nearly as much power as you think it does

Then I'm much less likely to die in that ditch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

people who vote for trump are trump-supporting shitlords

there are not "ironic" "protest vote" trump voters who are actually good people, you're just a bad person

You seem to be projecting a little. I was talking about a, mostly joking, hypothetical future situation where my core assumption was that Trump's victory was assured against Hillary and what I would do in that situation.

Acting like I'm trying to defend actual Trump voters is a bit dishonest.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

VitalSigns posted:

Every room in Star Trek had a magic box that can create any material good you want except (a) latinum and (b) this week's rare plot-critical material. And there's no shortage of energy because humanity is a Kardashev Type II civilization.

What do you need money for, everything you could possibly need or want is free. How does money even work if no one has to buy any material goods anymore and energy is too cheap to meter.

Ok, but why would anyone bother to be a busboy at Sisko's restaurant? If I wanted my own restaurant can I just go out and get one?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the dnc doesn't have nearly as much power as you think it does

Yup. Dem primary voters voted for a bad candidate in 2016. The DNC isn't competent enough to really make a difference.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Rectal Death Adept posted:

You seem to be projecting a little. I was talking about a, mostly joking, hypothetical future situation where my core assumption was that Trump's victory was assured against Hillary and what I would do in that situation.

You’re defending voting for Trump though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

plogo posted:

I don't know that AOC's views on ubi are that relevant. Whether its a federal jobs guarantee, ubi, whatever, the dems don't even control the senate much less a super majority. In another 4 to 6 years aoc can discuss the details, but why bother now? Signaling she is on the right team is enough.

Because to get ideas accepted by the public you have to start talking about them way before you're ready to implement them.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You're full of poo poo and could easily just spoil ballot in that scenario.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

I feel like voting for Trump to send a message to the DNC is functionally the same as "pretending" to be racist to get out of jury duty. Even if you were doing it ironically, that stink's still on you forever.

Except no one dies if you get out of jury duty, because lets be honest, if you're that type of shithead, you're probably gonna okay a death penalty case too.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

CubanMissile posted:

Ok, but why would anyone bother to be a busboy at Sisko's restaurant? If I wanted my own restaurant can I just go out and get one?
Man if you don't understand the value of spectacle and authenticity in dining in 2018 I don't know what to tell you.

Also to bring this back in track, here's my favorite but if history from my Maine research:

"As goes Maine, so goes the nation Vermont"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

to be fair, that is basically what the FDA did this week

But they also effectively banned flavored vaping, so... a wash?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

I feel like voting for Trump to send a message to the DNC is functionally the same as "pretending" to be racist to get out of jury duty. Even if you were doing it ironically, that stink's still on you forever.

yeah, especially when you can say "uh i've been reading a lot about the scandals of this particular prosecutor's office, because my firm worked on one of them, and I'm not sure I'd be impartial"

that one worked for me :v:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mostly jokingly... because when presented with the choice of Hilary or Trump, you'd pull for Don because you're an insufferable shitlord with the privilege to evade any of the blowback his 2nd term would cause.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Running Hillary is how you get people to vote for Jill Stein.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lote posted:

You’re defending voting for Trump though.

I'm willing to discuss the possibility of doing so in a hypothetical situation, yes.

You guys really need to calm down about Donald Trump. This is why you can't have nice things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tibalt posted:

Also to bring this back in track, here's my favorite but if history from my Maine research:

No, the best maine history is one of it's early names was "Terra Onde Di Mala Gente" (the land of bad people)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HarleyRouda/status/1061279636783489026
https://twitter.com/HarleyRouda/status/1061279639216128000

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

You guys really need to calm down about Donald Trump. This is why you can't have nice things.

lol please get the gently caress out of this thread

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You are putting a lot of effort into defending your hypothetical future Trump vote. Maybe people won't think you're as economically anxious as you come across it you stopped doing that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fire Above posted:

Running Hillary is how you get people to vote for Jill Stein.

I can't control the actions of morons, both in putting Hilary at the top of a ticket, or at choosing to spoil her election by voting for an anti-vaxxer.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crow Jane posted:

Still my favorite da share z0ne tweet:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1033506727352782849

Bit by bit I think that the message is slowly seeping into popular culture.

(The right skull would make an excellent avatar imo)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“It’s a joke, bro!” is a new excuse for voting for Trump that I hadn’t heard yet.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Tibalt posted:

Man if you don't understand the value of spectacle and authenticity in dining in 2018 I don't know what to tell you.

I've been a bartender for ten years and there absolutely nothing remotely authentic or spectacular about dining in 2018. The whole thing is a magic show sleight of hand trick where you show people what they want to see and tell people what they want to hear, but really there's a dead dove tucked in your other sleeve.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/colvinj/status/1061224188273483777

https://twitter.com/BakerLuke/status/1061272063904792576

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I feel like if I made even a motion towards filling in the Trump bubble on my ballot, my hand would rebel and either refuse to do it or put a pen through my eye

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Score one for America against Putin. :911:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

I can't control the actions of morons, both in putting Hilary at the top of a ticket, or at choosing to spoil her election by voting for an anti-vaxxer.

sounds like they disagreed that it was "her" election

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hopefully it doesn't cost her committees down the line.

I thought this over a little more while washing my balls in the shower, as you do, and I trust that AOC thought this through but there are some nontrivial tactical concerns with how she went about this.

If we disregard the responses by other reps to a snotty little freshman upstaging them :v:, there are still two that spring to mind:

1) Contact Pelosi beforehand, Y/N? We don't know whether she did, but I think I lean Y on this one because the marginal downside is small.

2) Coming out swinging with those specific policy proposals is definitely a tactical decision. Free college feels like the riskiest initial ask - what if, say, Pelosi is amenable to the other two but feels like free college is underwater on approval or something and wants a different messaging / strategy? Does AOC say "I'm glad we're moving in the right direction and will keep pushing for blah blah blah" (thereby becoming a triangulating Bad Dem :ohdear:) or publicly snub the Speaker?

I hope it works out! Maybe she mads the optimal decision on every bit of this so far!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This is crazy. Incidentally, 538 is keeping a running tally of unresolved races: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-16-races-still-too-close-to-call/

edit: oh poo poo, this is against Dana Rohrabacher, the other guy (in addition to Trump) that one of the House Republican leadership was recorded as saying is probably on Putin's payroll.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

We'll let's hope that a super divisive candidate doesn't come out of the primaries in 2020.

:(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Stexils posted:

sounds like they disagreed that it was "her" election

They can do that, but that makes them loving morons. I'm sorry if you disagree and are happy with fascist Trumpland, but I'm not. They could nominate the most insanely insufferable neo-con liberal shithead in the universe... (uh... Joe Manchin, I guess) for President and I' happily pull that lever.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No, the best maine history is one of it's early names was "Terra Onde Di Mala Gente" (the land of bad people)
That's good too!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's a shame that the Second World War One happened 20 years later...

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

They can do that, but that makes them loving morons. I'm sorry if you disagree and are happy with fascist Trumpland, but I'm not. They could nominate the most insanely insufferable neo-con liberal shithead in the universe... (uh... Joe Manchin, I guess) for President and I' happily pull that lever.

it's not third party voters fault that trump won and getting mad at them rather than anyone who bears far more responsibility makes it look like you're just looking for an easy target to vent at.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fire Above posted:

We'll let's hope that a super divisive candidate doesn't come out of the primaries in 2020.

2020 is going to be a bit of a shitshow, because there will be so many candidates it's not super clear to me that the best candidate will emerge - it's too easy for the winner in Iowa/NH to just be the best candidate in the "lane" with the fewest candidates (i.e. if you have 3x leftists; 2x centrists; 3x charismatic young politicians to pick categories out of a hat, the winner is probably going to be the better centrist just because of how plurality rule works, even if he or she is worse than the best leftist or best charismatic young politician).

2008 was sort of like that, where McCain got left for dead and then everyone else sort of split the ballot and he squeaked through in a way that made almost no sense.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The same Joe Manchin that votes/spews in lockstep with Trump's policy? :thunk:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stexils posted:

it's not third party voters fault that trump won and getting mad at them rather than anyone who bears far more responsibility makes it look like you're just looking for an easy target to vent at.

people who chose not to vote against trump chose to make it more likely that trump would win. they're not the only people who helped him win, but they are part of the group of people who helped him win.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

They could nominate the most insanely insufferable neo-con liberal shithead in the universe... (uh... Joe Manchin, I guess) for President and I' happily pull that lever.

Which is why you're part of the problem

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Can't have the Executive Comb Over coming unglued on live international television.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fire Above posted:

I'd like to say Democrats learned their lesson, but I have slowly lost all faith in people doing the correct thing over the last decade.

If we get a controversial candidate and some faction of democrats stay home, I'm probably going to die fighting for PoC in the American south and my blood can be on their hands too... cuz... ya know... myyyy primary candidate didn't win, or some poo poo, boo fuckin' hoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Horseshoe theory posted:

The same Joe Manchin that votes/spews in lockstep with Trump's policy? :thunk:

joe manchin voted against both of trump's signature legislative priorities