Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just be ready to put the series down after whichever book it is that Sandman Slim destroys the soul-devouring engine beneath Hell with a simple blood magic spell and damns the universe because that is never resolved.

If you’re talking about Tartarus, that gets resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Reading the Labyrinth index and I cant quite put my finger on who the president is supposed to be... Alec Baldwin?

Anyway its quite a slow start and drags for about 2/3 of the book before really taking off. Concorde flies again! Most frustratingly after the virtual cliffhanger ending of the previous book it doesn't really address domestic issues other than some commentary by the PoV character and seems like another book to pad out the time before CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN really kicks off and poo poo gets (even more) insane.

One of the interesting takeaways is that the elder gods and various monstrosities seem to all... know each other and have some sort of agreed upon purpose? Like this is far from the first universe they've done the Koolaid man thing through the walls of reality in and they keep getting driven out or fleeing across universes from... something else. The Black Pharaoh explicitly references being at war with some unnamed enemy when bopping Cthulhu's avatar in the face and the whole point of the mission seems to be to tell Cthulhu to stop rattling the cage before the rest of the powers are ready.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Inspector 34 posted:

Well that makes me feel a little better.

From a few days ago, but if you have just normal Prime, you can borrow one Kindle Unlimited book a month.

So you can keep up to date with Schaeffer's books by only spending money on half of them

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Saros posted:

Reading the Labyrinth index and I cant quite put my finger on who the president is supposed to be... Alec Baldwin?

Check out Charles Stross' blog for questions like that, he says it's George Clooney "with the serial numbers filed off"

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Saros posted:

One of the interesting takeaways is that the elder gods and various monstrosities seem to all... know each other and have some sort of agreed upon purpose? Like this is far from the first universe they've done the Koolaid man thing through the walls of reality in and they keep getting driven out or fleeing across universes from... something else. The Black Pharaoh explicitly references being at war with some unnamed enemy when bopping Cthulhu's avatar in the face and the whole point of the mission seems to be to tell Cthulhu to stop rattling the cage before the rest of the powers are ready.

The Black Pharaoh specifically mentions the War Against The Cold Ones, so I'm betting the Elder Gods are an alliance collection of loose nuts making a fighting retreat from a few hungry Jotun infovores (making a nice callback to the first book). Which also tells me you really don't want an actual Elder God in the flesh itself in your reality because that's the equivalent of turning on a "Free Buffet" sign for cold things between universes.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Aha I missed the Cold Ones reference somehow, that makes a lot of sense.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
BUTCHER!

Nope, didn't work. Thought he might release a book.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 9, 2018

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I think the long gap has killed my interest in the series. At least with ASOIAF there's closure with the TV show and there's only meant to be one or two more books (if they ever come out).

If there's this much delay between books in the Dresden Files and we're only 15 books into a 25 book series then we'll never see the end.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
He has a new cosplay wife, give him time to settle in. We'll get there soon enough.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just reading Christopher Moore's death books again. Also, he has a nice zombie book, in the stupidist angel, and a few decent vampire books. I avoid his "historical" novels.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Silentgoldfish posted:

I think the long gap has killed my interest in the series. At least with ASOIAF there's closure with the TV show and there's only meant to be one or two more books (if they ever come out).

If there's this much delay between books in the Dresden Files and we're only 15 books into a 25 book series then we'll never see the end.

I'm pretty ok if the Fat One doesn't finish the books, the ASOIAF show writers will make a far better job at finishing the series than GRRM would do anyway. Butcher is alone and I'd like to see the Dresden files finished one day, but the situation is not exactly encouraging :(

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Just reading Christopher Moore's death books again. Also, he has a nice zombie book, in the stupidist angel, and a few decent vampire books. I avoid his "historical" novels.

Oh man, if you are including “Lamb” and “Fool” as historical novels, you are missing out!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Silentgoldfish posted:

I think that time itself isn't the danger, for lack of a better term, that threatens Dresden. The real threat is the pace at which the urban fantasy genre has evolved, leaving the series behind in assorted ways. Butcher was first, but half a dozen authors of similar talent (and a couple who are better) have muscled into his territory and set up shop.

That said: Dresden is still incredibly entertaining. Brief Cases reminded me how much I just LOVE the Dresden Files. Other authors write better prose, or pen tighter plots, or approach social issues in a more mature fashion, or posses a better sense of place...but Dresden has this X factor that makes me turn pages like no other series.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

That said: Dresden is still incredibly entertaining. Brief Cases reminded me how much I just LOVE the Dresden Files. Other authors write better prose, or pen tighter plots, or approach social issues in a more mature fashion, or posses a better sense of place...but Dresden has this X factor that makes me turn pages like no other series.

I'm going through the series again, as audiobooks this time because I gotta do a 6 hour drive twice per week right now and I think I figured out what this is.

Dresden Files is [i]consistently exciting/i] in a way that other UF series aren't. The story exists in a near constant anticipation/action/aftermath cycle with almost nothing in between.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

I'm going through the series again, as audiobooks this time because I gotta do a 6 hour drive twice per week right now and I think I figured out what this is.

Dresden Files is [i]consistently exciting/i] in a way that other UF series aren't. The story exists in a near constant anticipation/action/aftermath cycle with almost nothing in between.

Yeah - this is intentional. Butcher is, by his own admission, an incredibly formulaic writer. He has an old live journal that explains his scene, sequel method as well as his formulation of the three act structure. I think that some people get a bit bored with this, but I'm not one of them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

navyjack posted:

Oh man, if you are including “Lamb” and “Fool” as historical novels, you are missing out!

No and yes. Lamb isnt, Fool is. Fool and Sacre bleu and Merchant of Venice. I have all three and cannot get into them. Does Fool get good?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

torgeaux posted:

No and yes. Lamb isnt, Fool is. Fool and Sacre bleu and Merchant of Venice. I have all three and cannot get into them. Does Fool get good?

I thought it was pretty good. It helps if you're familiar with Lear.

Also, you didn't mention Practical Demon keeping, Island of the sequinned Love Nun, or the one with the whales.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Up Circle posted:

He has a new cosplay wife, give him time to settle in. We'll get there soon enough.

Why write fantasy when you're living the dream

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beachcomber posted:

I thought it was pretty good. It helps if you're familiar with Lear.

Also, you didn't mention Practical Demon keeping, Island of the sequinned Love Nun, or the one with the whales.

I like them all, but zombies, vampires and the personification of death hit this thread a little closer.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gerg_861 posted:

Yeah - this is intentional. Butcher is, by his own admission, an incredibly formulaic writer. He has an old live journal that explains his scene, sequel method as well as his formulation of the three act structure. I think that some people get a bit bored with this, but I'm not one of them.

Although I didn't notice it at all in text, it's kinda tiring in audio format. I wouldn't say boring at all, but it's almost fatiguing to listen to because it doesn't really slow down at all.

And yeah, for me formulaic is rarely a problem if I enjoy the formula. Although what usually happens is I smash 4 or 5 of these books in a row and then take a month or two off. I might get bored if I tried to go straight through the whole thing without stopping.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Up Circle posted:

No.

I re-read The Library at Mount Char this weekend and wish there were more books set in that universe.

There is a shitload of unexplored material there for prequels I'd enjoy reading, for example. Like how Adam Black came into power.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

No.

I re-read The Library at Mount Char this weekend and wish there were more books set in that universe.

There is a shitload of unexplored material there for prequels I'd enjoy reading, for example. Like how Adam Black came into power.
Anyone know what the deal is with the author? Any word on if he's planning to publish any more fiction? Such an outstanding and original story, especially from a first time novelist.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Been aaronovich's new book is out in a few days. I really like the Rivers of London series, does anyone know if this will be the last in the series?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sloth Life posted:

Been aaronovich's new book is out in a few days. I really like the Rivers of London series, does anyone know if this will be the last in the series?

It is potentially the end of the Folly vs the Faceless Man story but I know Aaronovitch has discussed keeping it going for as long as he has ideas and he's announced a few spin-off novellas, including solo stories featuring Abigail, Kimberly Reynolds, Nightingale and I think one set in Roman Britain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is potentially the end of the Folly vs the Faceless Man story but I know Aaronovitch has discussed keeping it going for as long as he has ideas and he's announced a few spin-off novellas, including solo stories featuring Abigail, Kimberly Reynolds, Nightingale and I think one set in Roman Britain.

Yeah, the way he's set things up, he can "resolve" the main arc and still have plenty of ongoing new cases.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Yay!!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wheat Loaf posted:

Prediction:

Even if the FM arc is resolved, I suspect our new ongoing antagonist will be . . .Leslie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would be most amused to see the fearful visit of the Rivers' hillbilly cousins; Tay, Severn and Lagan.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Having finished a string of very serious and somewhat depressing books, I decided to give Sandman Slim a whirl. Thoughts:

1. This book is somehow exactly as stupid as you'd think, but not as stupid as you'd guess.

2. About twenty minutes into the book I realized the narrator for the audiobook sounds not unlike the guy who did the dramatization for the Doom comic on Youtube.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

About twenty minutes into the book I realized the narrator for the audiobook sounds not unlike the guy who did the dramatization for the Doom comic on Youtube.

They’re dumb as hell, but I actually really like the narrator. He somehow manages to sell Stark as self-aware vs an over-the-top edgelord.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I just finished the most recent entry into that series, Hollywood Dead.

At this point, Kadrey has come full circle with the character and pretty much hit the reset button. Ten books in, and Stark is now pretty much back to how he appears in the first book with maybe a bit more humanity? I don't know. He's not as edgy, but still has the love/hate relationship with LA that apparently one can only truly appreciate by living in LA.

I liked it, and it was a quick read. I'm curious to see where he takes it from here since a lot of the board got reset.

For those that care, by the end of the book Stark:

Is now really alive again, after having died at the end of The Perdition Score and all of The Kill Society playing mad max on the outskirts of hell. He also has access to the room of thirteen doors again (I forget how many books he spent without it), so yeah he can pretty much loving go anywhere and play assassin ninja 24/7. He still has the black knife, so every car in the word is his and it can cut through everything. AAAAAAAAAAAND he still has that goofy hell weapon that does whatever the gently caress he wants it to do (I still don't have a good picture of that in my head).

Seriously, with that sort of power scale he should just be an Assassins Creed style video game character.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What? There are now ten Sandman Slim books?

I think I stopped reading them after #4 or so. There was a point where they stopped being over-the-top, ridiculous fun and became simply ridiculous and over-the-top.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think someone mentioned it on here (?) but I got the first two professor croft books by Brad Magnarella and they're uh, pretty bad. The dude is a complete idiot who blunders into terrible situations and seems to have a death wish and only survives due to plot armor and protagonist handwaving.

Just a spoiler-free example, he ignores a "if you do this, we will literally come and kill you" directive multiple times with absolutely no consideration or repercussions. It's casually mentioned with a one-liner at the end of the book that "things are OK because stuff worked out well in the end". He walks into the lion's den with no plan multiple times. He seems to have absolutely no sense of personal responsibility or self preservation, gets beat up in standard noir fashion a half dozen times, gets in way over his head, and then gets deux ex machina'd out of the fire. I'm partway through the second and the exact same stuff is happening again.

Does it get better?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

hatelull posted:

I just finished the most recent entry into that series, Hollywood Dead.

At this point, Kadrey has come full circle with the character and pretty much hit the reset button. Ten books in, and Stark is now pretty much back to how he appears in the first book with maybe a bit more humanity? I don't know. He's not as edgy, but still has the love/hate relationship with LA that apparently one can only truly appreciate by living in LA.

I liked it, and it was a quick read. I'm curious to see where he takes it from here since a lot of the board got reset.

For those that care, by the end of the book Stark:

Is now really alive again, after having died at the end of The Perdition Score and all of The Kill Society playing mad max on the outskirts of hell. He also has access to the room of thirteen doors again (I forget how many books he spent without it), so yeah he can pretty much loving go anywhere and play assassin ninja 24/7. He still has the black knife, so every car in the word is his and it can cut through everything. AAAAAAAAAAAND he still has that goofy hell weapon that does whatever the gently caress he wants it to do (I still don't have a good picture of that in my head).

Seriously, with that sort of power scale he should just be an Assassins Creed style video game character.

Ubisoft would never let their main character be in an open relationship :v:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

OptimusWang posted:

Ubisoft would never let their main character be in an open relationship :v:

Yeah. I was really surprised Kadrey just didn't go full monty with the potential Stark, Candy, Alessa threesome, but yeah I'm sure the next book will open with a "mutual understanding" between the three of them while Stark tries to maintain something normal with the girl from Donut Universe. Honestly, those "Romance" plot lines are kinda gross fantasy and I never find myself invested in his relationships. I read for the epic story arcs and senseless murder and not the descriptions that they broke a ton of hotel furniture having sex.

At least Sandman Slim books come out with more frequency and I can sort of remember who's who and what the overall situation happens to be. If this next Butcher book ever gets released I'll have totally lost the plot. I read Skin Game when it came out but don't remember a drat thing about it now other than a goofy but see I totally paid that guy to be on MY side without you the reader knowing moment. At least, I think that was the last one yeah?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

hatelull posted:

At least Sandman Slim books come out with more frequency and I can sort of remember who's who and what the overall situation happens to be. If this next Butcher book ever gets released I'll have totally lost the plot. I read Skin Game when it came out but don't remember a drat thing about it now other than a goofy but see I totally paid that guy to be on MY side without you the reader knowing moment. At least, I think that was the last one yeah?

Maybe the reason it takes so long is Butcher now has to come up with an elaborate excuse why Dresden can't hire that guy tos olve every issue.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Up Circle posted:

Maybe the reason it takes so long is Butcher now has to come up with an elaborate excuse why Dresden can't hire that guy tos olve every issue.

Goodman Grey's main schtick is going deep undercover in unknown locations for long periods of time, so I doubt it.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Welp, Lies Sleeping was a badly edited disappointment. And I was so excited too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Woof. That bad? That's a shame, does it wrap up the story at all? My main issue with the last couple books have been how empty the endings always feel - never felt like they were progressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sloth Life posted:

Welp, Lies Sleeping was a badly edited disappointment. And I was so excited too.

Yeah I mostly liked it but it wasn’t up to his usual standard at all :/