Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Lote posted:

Seriously. If the candidate you wanted loses, you should be able to be an adult and vote for the candidate that will be most likely to advance your interests and not act like a child and take your ball and go home.

you know republicans literally never talk like this to their base? if their candidate loses they decide they obviously didn't appeal to enough of their base and they need to double down. seems to work pretty well for them. the only ones who call people children for not voting for a candidate they don't like are democrats.

like seriously i don't even disagree that you should vote in the general if your primary candidate doesn't win, but the sheer condescension you guys have for unenthusiastic voters who might not want to vote for a candidate is staggering. you guys know it's not the voters job to vote for a party, right? the party is the one who bears the burden of appealing to the voters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the "other side" agrees that if you win the primary, you get the nomination. so if you want to "seize it", get the votes!

As usual, you are addressing the post you wish I had made, rather than the one which is there

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chomskyan posted:

True. But are we even on agreement that this is the action we should take? I think the Democratic Party should be seized by the left, but does the "other side", which constantly whines about "SchumerBad PelosiBad" chat agree? My impression is no

your impression is wrong

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

plogo posted:

No it wasn't. There were always many dem proposals to healthcare going back to the days of ted kennedy fighting with jimmy carter.

Oh, word? They must have worked out great, because of all that awesome healthcare we have.

You're discounting my argument to make a cheap technicality own. I'm trying to explain why it's important to talk about stuff like UBI now, and you're saying "well we've been talking about healthcare for a long time" yes thank you for proving my point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wonder what Pelosi and Schumer sincerely think about AOC since didn't she completely obliterate the guy dem leadership was specifically grooming to succeed them?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

plogo posted:

No it wasn't. There were always many dem proposals to healthcare going back to the days of ted kennedy fighting with jimmy carter.

Hell, the Dems have talking about single payer since loving Truman. FDR considered it for inclusion in the New Deal, even.

Personally, I think the real issue most people are avoiding is that Trump isn't the problem - he's a symptom, just another product of the overall social and political collapse in this country. The problem is deeper than electoral politics.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Chomskyan posted:

If George W. Bush is running against Donald Trump as a Democrat I will vote for him. Why? Because I'm just that principled.

Hmm...If only there was some sort of process that allowed people to determine who gets to be the nominee...Oh, well. I guess, we'll just have to accept the unilateral decision imposed by the almighty DNC, the composition of which party members also don't have any control over.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

And this is why nothing ever changes

No, idiot, the reason things never change is not "because people oppose fascism."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chomskyan posted:

As usual, you are addressing the post you wish I had made, rather than the one which is there

i apologize, your posts are usually too stupid to fully parse and i apologize for interpreting it in a way that made sense. what was your actual, dumber, question?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

StealthArcher posted:

If your worthless DNC shoves Hillary 3: It's Her Turn Again Again up, I'm going to laugh as I prepare for you to inevitably go fasc either immediately after her loss or 4 years later if she ekes out a win. I'm then going to die in a ditch somewhere because that's the inevitable result of a Fascist USA.

If Hillary wins we'll go fascist immediately, because Hillary is a lying white supremacist war hawk out of a Paul Verhoeven movie. I'm tired of this idea that somehow competent, smooth, practiced evil is better than an open pedophile with a sub 80 iq. They're both really bad and no one should support either type of person.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Technically speaking, Trump probably advances my personal interests more than virtually any Democratic candidate, but I will never vote for him or the GOP.

There is literally no one in America who this applies to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

evilweasel posted:

the "other side" agrees that if you win the primary, you get the nomination. so if you want to "seize it", get the votes! if you support someone more leftist than the person I supported in the 2020 primary, and they win, i'll be voting for them!

the centrists are going to rig the primary in 2020 and give joe biden the nom

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Calaveron posted:

Wonder what Pelosi and Schumer sincerely think about AOC since didn't she completely obliterate the guy dem leadership was specifically grooming to succeed them?

I'm sure that Schumer probably hates her since he's from the same state and presumably political machine. Pelosi I imagine may not care much since she's not long for Congress and has bigger fish to fry than petty New York squabbles, though I'm sure it annoys her that her designated successor is toast.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Quite handily.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

corn in the bible posted:

Okay. And you're basing this observation on what, exactly?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stexils posted:

you know republicans literally never talk like this to their base? if their candidate loses they decide they obviously didn't appeal to enough of their base and they need to double down. seems to work pretty well for them. the only ones who call people children for not voting for a candidate they don't like are democrats.

like seriously i don't even disagree that you should vote in the general if your primary candidate doesn't win, but the sheer condescension you guys have for unenthusiastic voters who might not want to vote for a candidate is staggering. you guys know it's not the voters job to vote for a party, right? the party is the one who bears the burden of appealing to the voters?

And then they'll fall over themselves saying we need to 'moderate the message' to appeal to 'moderate Republicans'.

Though it's maybe a slight improvement over 2016's 'we don't need your stupid Bernie Bro votes anyway'.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Dems are lovely in part because nobody participates in primaries, so the primary electorate is unrepresentative old centrist grampas and random wierdos. Lefty policy polls high in the US but those people largely don't vote in primaries so it doesn't actually matter.

The primary fights are de facto fights over what the party even is. If you bitch about Dems while ignoring primaries you are literally embodying the root cause of what you're complaining about.

Once that's over then you're left with the more nazi or less nazi choices in the general, and if you can't tell them apart you're a huge rear end in a top hat.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Your Parents posted:

If Hillary wins we'll go fascist immediately, because Hillary is a lying white supremacist war hawk out of a Paul Verhoeven movie. I'm tired of this idea that somehow competent, smooth, practiced evil is better than an open pedophile with a sub 80 iq. They're both really bad and no one should support either type of person.

Because smooth practiced evil understands things like nuance and soft power, and doesn't just decide to just burn the whole loving house down with everyone in it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm sure that Schumer probably hates her since he's from the same state and presumably political machine. Pelosi I imagine may not care much since she's not long for Congress and has bigger fish to fry than petty New York squabbles, though I'm sure it annoys her that her designated successor is toast.

Pelosi cares about winning. If AOC is a winner then that's probably good enough for her.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Calaveron posted:

she beat him in the primary and then he actually ran as an independent so she could beat a second time in the general lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You should defend this statement or I'm treating it as a toxx.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Hmm...If only there was some sort of process that allowed people to determine who gets to be the nominee...Oh, well. I guess, we'll just have to accept the unilateral decision imposed by the almighty DNC, the composition of which party members also don't have any control over.

I guess it's controversial to point out the Democratic primary is uh, not especially democratic

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

Note, however, that Boehner's relationship with both Cantor and Ryan was... fraught. It's possible she hated Crowley. Or maybe they were buddies! I dunno!

The more immediate issue imo is the stuff I touched on in my AOC tactical post, where she might get annoyed with AOC centering herself despite being a freshman / pushing her to do stuff she donwanna / putting her in an unpalatable position for one reason or another / maybe not giving her a courtesy call in advance of that statement / etc. All of which can be worked around or avoided, potentially.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

You should defend this statement or I'm treating it as a toxx.

The fuckery in the primaries last time is well documented and he's the most corporate centrist guy around right now. Why wouldn't that happen again this time?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sean10mm posted:

The Dems are lovely in part because nobody participates in primaries, so the primary electorate is unrepresentative old centrist grampas and random wierdos. Lefty policy polls high in the US but those people largely don't vote in primaries so it doesn't actually matter.

The primary fights are de facto fights over what the party even is. If you bitch about Dems while ignoring primaries you are literally embodying the root cause of what you're complaining about.

Once that's over then you're left with the more nazi or less nazi choices in the general, and if you can't tell them apart you're a huge rear end in a top hat.

The most likely Dem primary voter is a Black Woman from the south...

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I tend to forget that Obama only won the delegate count in 2008, meaning Hillary got more votes and lost the primary.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

she beat him in the primary and then he actually ran as an independent so she could beat a second time in the general lol

That's a misrepresentation of what happened. Crowley didn't campaign for the seat, and you know this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The fuckery in the primaries last time is well documented and he's the most corporate centrist guy around right now. Why wouldn't that happen again this time?

Oh I'm sure the DNC would love to try and gently caress around as they did last time, I just think your idea that specifically Joe Biden is going to definitely win in a primary field of 20+ mostly establishment candidates is laughable, cheating or no cheating.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That's a misrepresentation of what happened. Crowley didn't campaign for the seat, and you know this.

I actually do know that, but it's still funny

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grammarchist posted:

I tend to forget that Obama only won the delegate count in 2008, meaning Hillary got more votes and lost the primary.

fuckin' centrists, rigging the primary for their preferred candidate

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Hillary won the majority of regular delegates, no?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Stereotype posted:

But “electrical lines making sparks” isn’t the cause of the wildfire epidemic, it is “drastically reduced moisture content with much more frequent dry wind storms”.

One news story said that PG&E's infrastructure has been responsible for at least 15 of this year's fires.

(Relatedly: That story or another story mentioned that gov.-elect Newsom had called a state of emergency, which sounded weird. Isn't Jerry Brown still the gov. till Newsom's sworn in? Is Brown out of the country or something?)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Okay. And you're basing this observation on what, exactly?

On the same idea that Joe Crowley was going to ratfuck his way into winning the election on Tuesday, and then he didn't like every sane person predicted.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I actually do know that, but it's still funny

posting things i know are objectively false in a totally non-joking way for the lols

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

You're forgetting Corey "Don't be so mean to Bain Capital" Booker.

Willa Rogers posted:

One news story said that PG&E's infrastructure has been responsible for at least 15 of this year's fires.

(Relatedly: That story or another story mentioned that gov.-elect Newsom had called a state of emergency, which sounded weird. Isn't Jerry Brown still the gov. till Newsom's sworn in? Is Brown out of the country or something?)

Newsom is acting gov whenever Brown is out of state. I don't know where Brown is right now but he's not in state.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Stexils posted:

I’m talking specifically about people who support a Dem candidate in the primary and when that person doesn’t get nominated, not voting in the general, protest voting, or worse, voting for accelerationism. There were the PUMAs in 2008, Bernie supporters in 2016 that refused to vote for Obama and Hillary. The party will appeal to you if enough like minded people vote in the primary.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Oh, word? They must have worked out great, because of all that awesome healthcare we have.

How has campaigning on Medicare for all made health care any better? Just because you don't remember politicians who also ran on more liberal healthcare plans because you weren't following politics at the time doesn't mean that they didn't exist in the past. It's the same situation, right now reforming healthcare is a platform for the future. It is 2 years away under the most optimistic predictions and conceivably we could miss out on a shot for 10 years or more.

So why should AOC care about the distinction between UBI and a Federal Jobs Guarantee, right now? It doesn't matter so why pick a policy position between two broadly similar policies that aren't gonna happen? Don't get me wrong- I'm separating this from the policy debate,. I enjoy economics and debating the policy, but that's not really what this about.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Crowley could have removed himself from the ballot with a phone call or email and refused so that he could act as a spoiler.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

posting things i know are objectively false for the lols

I think Crowley would've tried for the ratfuck if he hadn't been called out early and very publicly for trying to stay on the ballot sneakily, and it is naive to think there wasn't something fishy going on there. He should've dropped out gracefully when he lost the primary and that he didn't is a douchey thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Pelosi made some effort to distance herself and the Dems from AOC's positions and leftism, but she usually avoids commenting on people in particular or taking sides in order to preserve the "big tent" image Dem leadership seems to prefer, so that's probably the most we're going to get from her.