Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chilichimp posted:

Like what? pass landmark legislation in an attempt to make insurance accessible for millions?

This is an interesting way to say "give insurance companies a handout instead of joining the rest of the free world"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I think he would've tried if AOC hadn't said anything. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that the guy who was in line to be Speaker of the House in a notoriously corrupt state was salty enough about getting primaried that he would've spiked the ball if he wasn't called out immediately.

again i was replying to someone saying that Crowley, actually, in real life, tried to steal an election - it'd be a pretty lame attempt considering he never once ran a campaign event or made any public statement that he was still in the race after losing to AOC

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

This is an interesting way to say "give insurance companies a handout instead of joining the rest of the free world"

With what votes in Congress?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deptfordx posted:

Trump can't be bothered to attend a 100th anniversary commeroration for the dead of the Great War becuause it's raining.

loving what!?!

I'm trying to imagine this happening with Obama, or any previous president, and I just can't do it.

I know we should stop harping on about the long ago times before the hell dimension descended on us all, but if Obama had done this? Fox news would be on fire, Hannity would literally have combusted from rage.

Jesus.

its because he doesn't really care. its boring and not about HIM and such.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

again i was replying to someone saying that Crowley, actually, in real life, tried to steal an election - it'd be a pretty lame attempt considering he never once ran a campaign event or made any public statement that he was still in the race after losing to AOC

staying in the election after you lose is step 1 to trying to steal the election

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

after the banks crashed the world economy obama nominated a bunch of finance guys to his cabinet and proceeded to helpfully give the banks a bunch of interest free loans with no conditions attached so they could get back on their feet. he then proceeded to use the courts to paper over their fraud and give no relief to any actual homeowners. nobody went to jail and the banks were left completely intact, which is leading us directly into the next crisis in a few years.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because he doesn't really care. its boring and not about HIM and such.

Also he doesn't know how to work umbrellas

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stexils posted:

after the banks crashed the world economy obama nominated a bunch of finance guys to his cabinet and proceeded to helpfully give the banks a bunch of interest free loans with no conditions attached so they could get back on their feet. he then proceeded to use the courts to paper over their fraud and give no relief to any actual homeowners. nobody went to jail and the banks were left completely intact, which is leading us directly into the next crisis in a few years.

Yeah, he also assassinated American citizens and blew up weddings with his remote control murder planes. A real piece of poo poo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stexils posted:

wildly insufficient relief

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sean10mm posted:

With what votes in Congress?

This chicken and the egg bullshit is exactly what I am talking about. The Dems constantly use the excuse of "pragmatism" rather than fighting for anything. Team Red currently has 40 percent of the American public enthusiastically accepting lies and passing them on because their dumbfuck figurehead says them. Yet somehow, getting on a loving microphone and actually ADVOCATING for poo poo and getting people excited for them is just too much work for Team Blue, better to just passively see how many votes we can get to pass legislature for the donor class (always enough, oddly.)

There was NOTHING preventing Obama from getting on TV and advocating single payer beyond his loyalty to the donor class.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wildly insufficient relief

Is splitting hairs your gimmick? I just watched you do it twice

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A useful metric for whether someone has useful opinions is if they believe in the possibility of a stealth write-up campaign.

Another useful metric is whether they think a first term Representative with no previous political experience is a viable candidate for Speaker, a position that rules through a hazy web of personal rapport, mutual respect, experience, and amassed political favors.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Condiv posted:

staying in the election after you lose is step 1 to trying to steal the election

Hey there was always the chance that video of AOC sacrificing a baby to the ghosts of Mao and Lenin would surface and then you'd be glad there was a good ol' corporate Dem still in the race.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

I feel like you already know this, but (1) registering to vote in another state, which probably is illegal without moving or (2) running for a different position that you don't actually want to win were the only ways to be removed from the WFP ticket.

Not doing those things is meaningfully different than a normal primary system where you could just drop out when you lose and have your name removed that way.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

What a novel thought! It’s because of posts like this that I couldn’t be happier that the Trump thread ceased to exist since, apparently, we can only have one US politics thread for some reason. I noticed there’s a Supreme Court thread too, I hope that one gets folded in here, same with all the local politics (California etc). We’re all one happy family!

Here's hoping.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The last two Republican presidents were fascists

you shouldn't throw around terms you don't understand like that

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Condiv posted:

they don't have to hold out for the perfect. they should hold out for the functional if they're actually interested in governing this nation well though. they didn't do that though and instead opted to pass a watered down handout to the insurance industry

They didn't have a choice between holding out for a better deal, or passing a watered-down agreement now. They had the choice of passing an imperfect compromise that allowed for improvements later, or NOTHING.

The way that US elections work is that a party has to be in power in all 3 branches (House, Senate, President) and dominate in the Supreme Court too, in order to make big changes like that. They had 2 years before the mid-terms inevitably lost them power. They had to act now or never.

The next opportunity to do so might not come along for 20 years, or even longer, due to Republican domination of the Supreme Court, which will survive even a landslide Democrat victory in 4 or 8 years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tibalt posted:

Another useful metric is whether they think a first term Representative with no previous political experience is a viable candidate for Speaker, a position that rules through a hazy web of personal rapport, mutual respect, experience, and amassed political favors.

AOC is not a serious suggestion for Speaker, the obvious progressive choice is Barbara Lee.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

you shouldn't throw around terms you don't understand like that

Republicans?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tibalt posted:

A useful metric for whether someone has useful opinions is if they believe in the possibility of a stealth write-up campaign.

tbf I haven't seen anyons say AOC should be Speaker, although it's possible someone did and I just had them on ignore because I hate their well informed and well reasoned opinions

I'd like to see AOC groomed for leadership, of course

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lloyd Doggett for Speaker

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

I feel like you already know this, but (1) registering to vote in another state, which probably is illegal without moving or (2) running for a different position that you don't actually want to win were the only ways to be removed from the WFP ticket.

Not doing those things is meaningfully different than a normal primary system where you could just drop out when you lose and have your name removed that way.

yes, and the WFP had prepared (2) for him, and he actually lives elsewhere so (1) was viable too. there was no barriers to him getting off the WFP line, and he remained on it against their wishes and against his claims of total support for AOC's nomination

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So apparently the red hat galaxy brains on Twitter have convinced themselves the camp fire was set intentionally by the deep state to get federal disaster money so that California can pay off its debt.

These people shouldn’t be allowed near a computer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

This chicken and the egg bullshit is exactly what I am talking about. The Dems constantly use the excuse of "pragmatism" rather than fighting for anything. Team Red currently has 40 percent of the American public enthusiastically accepting lies and passing them on because their dumbfuck figurehead says them. Yet somehow, getting on a loving microphone and actually ADVOCATING for poo poo and getting people excited for them is just too much work for Team Blue, better to just passively see how many votes we can get to pass legislature for the donor class (always enough, oddly.)

There was NOTHING preventing Obama from getting on TV and advocating single payer beyond his loyalty to the donor class.

Is splitting hairs your gimmick? I just watched you do it twice

I have lots of gimmicks but one of them is correcting stupid false statements / hyperbole that don't deserve much more than a bop on the nose, yes

and also longer fishmechery on topics where I think the pedantic difference actually is also a practical difference worth discussing at a little length

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BarbarianElephant posted:

They didn't have a choice between holding out for a better deal, or passing a watered-down agreement now. They had the choice of passing an imperfect compromise that allowed for improvements later, or NOTHING.

The way that US elections work is that a party has to be in power in all 3 branches (House, Senate, President) and dominate in the Supreme Court too, in order to make big changes like that. They had 2 years before the mid-terms inevitably lost them power. They had to act now or never.

The next opportunity to do so might not come along for 20 years, or even longer, due to Republican domination of the Supreme Court, which will survive even a landslide Democrat victory in 4 or 8 years.

they actually had a lot of choice in crafting PPACA that they did not make use of. i'd suggest you read some of willa rogers' numerous posts on the subject to become better informed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have lots of gimmicks but one of them is correcting stupid false statements / hyperbole that don't deserve much more than a bop on the nose, yes

and also longer fishmechery on topics where I think the pedantic difference actually is also a practical difference worth discussing at a little length

Correction: you do not have lots of gimmicks. be more precise thank you

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AlexMLeo/status/1061193869323309056

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

oh dear

hopefully the Dems have a trillion lawyers on the ground

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Correction: you do not have lots of gimmicks. be more precise thank you

harsh but fair

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

you don't actually need the supreme court on board to pass anything, just pack the court / threaten to impeach them / ignore them. they're not necessary if the party has the will.

UHC is popular enough that the public would support the party challenging them directly to preserve it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Doesn't California voter suppress the same way?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Stereotype posted:

So apparently the red hat galaxy brains on Twitter have convinced themselves the camp fire was set intentionally by the deep state to get federal disaster money so that California can pay off its debt.

These people shouldn’t be allowed near a computer.

lol yeah just burning the state to the ground and costing ourselves millions in property damage for them sweet fed bux

I googled "California Debt" and this article was the first result: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2018/04/19/the-top-four-reasons-california-is-unsustainable

quote:

Now, many might think California needs all of those taxes given its infrastructure deficit and debt. The problem with that notion is that those prolonged high taxes, debt burden and regulations limit California’s economic future. After all, why would businesses locate in California in the future with the impending tax-aggeddon that must be in the offing?

Conservatives are so desperate for California to fail.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What an absolute lazy, revolting piece of poo poo. Like I think we glorify "ARE TRUPS" wayyyy too much in this country, but for gently caress sakes, it is Armistice/ Veterans Day. Now is the time for memorial.

To not visit the grave site of fallen soldiers because "bad weather", go gently caress yourself.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Because that was impossible to pass, due to needing the support of right-wing Democrats.

If they'd have listened to you and held out for the perfect, it would most likely have collapsed and never got done. Like all the other times they tried it.

Obama barely even tried.

There's a difference between actually trying for something and giving up before you even start.

I mean, you can agree about whether it was the correct political move at that level. I think Obama might have even made good decisions, in the end.

But when it comes to keeping his base, and the general activist base that, yknow, helps keep political parties alive, Obamas lack of even pretending to care about setting up an actual non insane health care system took the wind out of A LOT OF people's sails.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Just FYI for anyone else unhappy with the loss of the Trump thread, I PMed KM and had a really productive conversation about it; there’s a lot of nuance I was missing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Stexils posted:

you don't actually need the supreme court on board to pass anything, just pack the court / threaten to impeach them / ignore them. they're not necessary if the party has the will.

UHC is popular enough that the public would support the party challenging them directly to preserve it.

I'm down with a bit of light court packing (I like the "go back to number of circuit courts = number of justices " idea )and also it's currently still quite feasible to craft a bill the Roberts court won't set on fire.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Stexils posted:

"Just"

LOL

So easy....

As for UHC being popular, sure, but not once the Republican propaganda has convinced them it will kill grandmas and put cancer patients on 5-year waiting lists for chemo.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh dear

hopefully the Dems have a trillion lawyers on the ground

It is impossible for them to have a trillion lawyers, there are not that many people on Earth

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Doesn't California voter suppress the same way?

CA passed a bill in September, the county elections office has to notify voters whose ballots would be tossed so they can verify the ballot is theirs. Voters will be notified eight days before final cert and have until two days before final cert to correct.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

"Just"

LOL

So easy....

As for UHC being popular, sure, but not once the Republican propaganda has convinced them it will kill grandmas and put cancer patients on 5-year waiting lists for chemo.

People love these things after they pass and kick in. The screaming babies step is what happens between those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Wicked Them Beats posted:

lol yeah just burning the state to the ground and costing ourselves millions in property damage for them sweet fed bux

I googled "California Debt" and this article was the first result: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2018/04/19/the-top-four-reasons-california-is-unsustainable

Conservatives are so desperate for California to fail.

But if we burn everything to the ground, we can remake it better. :v:

Trump could’ve gone to any of the cemeteries today. There’s one in Normandy for WWII which would’ve been better because there are still WWII vets alive and the reverence for WWII is big. Now he’s just in France to celebrate Veterans Day and doesn’t go to the place that justifies him being in France in the first place. Just an unforced error on his part. Horror of horrors if a marine has to hold an umbrella over Trump while he gives a speech.