Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Danny LaFever posted:

Ameer sucks.

Fire Jim Bob.

For additional comedy. Have the Packers hire him for some reason. Turn Rodgers, exclusively into a check down passer.

The actual comedy would just be giving him the ball over Aaron Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
love thos burrs

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Lang and Slay both out against the Bears, get those bets in before the line moves to Bears -21.5

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
*looks at that time the Bears were gonna have to play Osweiler and lost*

Eh?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
True, but the lions are in utter disarray. Even owning the bears won't save them.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Scipiotik posted:

True, but the lions are in utter disarray. Even owning the bears won't save them.

when have the Lions even not been in state of utter disarray?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think the BC Lions in the CFL had a good year or two?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

BGrifter posted:

I think the BC Lions in the CFL had a good year or two?

:golfclap:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Somehow they are worse than when caldwell was doing whatever it was he did.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/46178/no-magic-words-packers-struggle-feels-different-than-in-past

quote:

No magic words: Packers' struggle 'feels different' than in past

Aaron Rodgers had one word to describe what he had on his left knee Sunday at New England, where he played without a brace for the first time since his Week 1 injury:

“Just grit,” Rodgers said.

But the Green Bay Packers quarterback, known for catchy slogans like "R-E-L-A-X" or "run the table," didn’t have anything for this season ... at least not yet.

Those two messages happened organically. In 2014, he told Packers fans to relax -- and then spelled it out, letter by letter, after a 1-2 start. In 2016, he said he thought the Packers could run the table after sitting at 4-6.

In both seasons, the Packers made the NFC title game.

That seems like a far-fetched idea at this point with the Packers at 3-4-1 heading into Sunday’s game against the visiting Miami Dolphins, but that’s not why Rodgers didn’t offer any bulletin-board sayings Wednesday when asked for one.

“Well, you asked a question, so it’s not authentic,” Rodgers said during his weekly news conference. “And those two were authentic responses to questions, so when prompted I just feel like we have to play better, consistently, 60 minutes, try to eliminate some of the lows we’ve been having. We have to play with confidence and play up to the level we’re capable of playing.”

Maybe "grit" would be an appropriate slogan, too.

Rodgers played without the brace in the 31-17 loss to the Patriots on Sunday night, marking the first time he went without protection since his left knee was injured in Week 1. He also practiced Wednesday as a full-time participant, the first time that has happened since the injury (his previous Wednesday participations were limited).

If it seems like there’s a different vibe to this season than in the past when the Packers have turned things around, at least one player admitted as much.

“We've lost games before here, but this just feels different,” said receiver Randall Cobb, who was a part of both the R-E-L-A-X and run-the-table seasons. “And it doesn't feel good. It's not fun. But we've got to figure something out.”

The Packers haven’t won on the road, and after back-to-back losses at the Rams and Patriots, they’re home for only one game against Miami before two more on the road, at Seattle on a quick turnaround next Thursday night, then at Minnesota in Week 12.

“Yeah, I mean we definitely need some momentum, we need to get a win,” Cobb said. “I can tell you, this isn't fun. Very frustrating and it's tough. Because I know what we're capable of and we're not there. I don't know what it is, but we've got to find a way to get it done.”

The Packers’ unexpected struggles have prompted questions about whether coach Mike McCarthy's offense has become stale -- queries Cobb smiled at but mostly avoided -- or does enough to get its best players such as Davante Adams open even when they're double-teamed, as Adams was against the Patriots.

“It’s kind of like each play is a new experience because they find different ways and obviously Bill [Belichick] being a really good coach, he knows what he’s doing out there,” said Adams, who caught six passes for just 40 yards against the Patriots. “He knows how to take people out of the games. Unfortunately that somewhat happened, but we’ve got to do a better job of making sure that we’re still finding guys -- if there is a double, a guy can still be open whether it’s me, Cobb, Jimmy [Graham] or whoever it is. We’re scheming things, but we can always do better obviously.”

One measure of the offensive production -- or lack of it -- is completion percentage. At 60.6, Rodgers is on pace for the lowest of his career. Part of it could be chalked up to his knee injury and how that can prevent him from stepping into throws, but Rodgers suggested there was another factor.

“I’ve had an unnatural amount of throwaways this year,” Rodgers said. “I would say the majority of those are coverage throwaways. I think that’s been a big contributor to the completion percentage. But yeah, it’s lower than we’d like.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Rodgers has 39 throwaways, already his most in a season. His second-most (37) came in 2015.

“I think it’s guys being open,” Rodgers said of the high volume of throwaways. “If a guy’s open, I’m going to pull the trigger. But if guys are covered, and I can’t extend it, then you have to find a place to go with the ball that it’s our guys’ or nobody’s.”

But even taking throwaways and spikes out of the equation, Rodgers’ off-target numbers are as high as ever. According to ESPN Stats & Information research, his off-target percentage (which removes throwaways and spikes) stands at 20.4 percent, just one-tenth of a percentage lower than his career worst in 2015. Sunday’s game against the Patriots was, at 30 percent, his highest off-target game of the season and the sixth-highest of his career.

No wonder he referenced “missed throws” several times after the game.

“I don’t think you can draw a complete equal between completion percentage and accuracy,” Rodgers said Wednesday. “When I’m throwing the ball, I’m throwing the ball where I want it. If I say I missed a throw, that means that I missed a spot by 6 inches or by however much I missed it by. We’ve just had a number of throwaways based on the coverages. We’ve got to keep finding ways to get guys into one or two spots, open on time and when they’re open, I’ve got to make the throws.”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1060628038101004288?s=19

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Fat Mike bad.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

it's because nobody expects them to ever run.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They managed to channel the disarray into something watchable that year with all the comebacks, at least.

tinstaach posted:

Lang and Slay both out against the Bears, get those bets in before the line moves to Bears -21.5

I'd doom and gloom about how Mack is going to destroy Stafford, but I dunno if TJ Lang was even doing anything anyway.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

They managed to channel the disarray into something watchable that year with all the comebacks, at least.

I'd doom and gloom about how Mack is going to destroy Stafford, but I dunno if TJ Lang was even doing anything anyway.

Lang has actually been one of the better linemen from everything I've read, and certainly a hell of a lot better than Kenny Wiggins. Stafford has also been very bad out of the pocket and when pressured this season, so this game has a very high potential to go Not Well for the Lions.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Q: Why is Teez Tabor allowed to play football on an NFL roster?

A: Lions.txt

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Lang has actually been one of the better linemen from everything I've read, and certainly a hell of a lot better than Kenny Wiggins. Stafford has also been very bad out of the pocket and when pressured this season, so this game has a very high potential to go Not Well for the Lions.

Okay yeah, Wiggins sucks out loud, so that's bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's because nobody expects them to ever run.
I mean, yeah. The fact that they're 29th in run usage is precisely why they're top 5 in average.

Do people not understand how if the first number goes up the second one will go down?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One other at advantage to Caldwell as a coach is that he's not done any sex crimes (that we're aware of)

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

MikeCrotch posted:

One other at advantage to Caldwell as a coach is that he's not done any sex crimes (that we're aware of)

I'll say it: Caldwell is a good man and probably a good father.

He's hyper competent at being mediocre as a HC.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

Yeah but we didn't cut our best WR, then give up a first rounder for a worse WR, then have said best WR sign for the Saints.

Besides this post not aging well, the Lions did poorly enough over a long enough period of time their best WR merely retired early like their best RB did

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

American McGay posted:

I mean, yeah. The fact that they're 29th in run usage is precisely why they're top 5 in average.

Do people not understand how if the first number goes up the second one will go down?

Eh that’s a little bit of an assumption.

It might go down but how much is hard to say.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Aaron Rodgers this season is at 15 TD 1 INT, on pace for more than 5000 yards passing, so the need to take the ball out of his hands may be slightly exaggerated

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The big problems I see with the Lions is they've spent a ton of picks and money on the offensive line and it sucks. Even if advanced stats made them look good in pass protection, its because JBC was just calling lame screens to Golden Tate for two yards a catch.

On defense, the scheme works, but they don't have the talent. Snacks helps them clog up the middle (at least he should), but the linebackers are dumb. I don't believe in Jarrad Davis. Not much they can do about that this year.

One thing I think Patricia could do, is stop with all the man coverage in the secondary. Teez Tabor and Nevin Lawson don't have the speed. Do some zone coverage. Also, Quin looks washed.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

If we combined the best players from all the rosters from the nfc north I think that team would be just good enough to lose to the patriots in the Super Bowl

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Looks like everyone is confirming that Fat Mike is a bad coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bax9C8damOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Malaria posted:

If we combined the best players from all the rosters from the nfc north I think that team would be just good enough to lose to the patriots in the Super Bowl

I agree, we should do this

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Malaria posted:

So Mack, a few O-linemen and Rodgers to the Vikings?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol that anyone thinks the bears will beat the lions

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol that anyone thinks the bears will beat the lions

A Lions win torments both fan bases appropriately.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Danny LaFever posted:

A Lions win torments both fan bases appropriately.

:hmmyes:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

a sexual elk posted:

So Mack, a few O-linemen and Rodgers to the Vikings?

i was just wondering how many packers players would even come over.

davante is good enough to be on the team even with diggs and thielen. bakhtiari. maybe jaire or aaron jones for depth

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ragle posted:

Aaron Rodgers this season is at 15 TD 1 INT, on pace for more than 5000 yards passing, so the need to take the ball out of his hands may be slightly exaggerated

What I'm laughing about is last season every single packers fan in here was ridiculing Mccarthy for not 'putting it in his hall of fame qb's hands'. In other words they were mad whenever a run play was called.

I do understand though, that situations are different. I agree with everything in that Kollman video, the patriots were giving their guys the best chance every time and the packers were calling scared. Running the ball would've kept them on schedule and it's a great way to wear down the defense and set up big plays. The play calling just seemed... random. Whereas McDaniels did everything for a clear reason and what do you know, it worked.

Does anyone really think the patriots have more raw talent than the packers? No. Way. They just do things right while the packers seem kind of clueless

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Besides this post not aging well, the Lions did poorly enough over a long enough period of time their best WR merely retired early like their best RB did

Your petty hatred of poor Dez Bryant is a bad look. :(

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Play posted:

Does anyone really think the patriots have more raw talent than the packers?

Yes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Play posted:

What I'm laughing about is last season every single packers fan in here was ridiculing Mccarthy for not 'putting it in his hall of fame qb's hands'. In other words they were mad whenever a run play was called.

The difference is whether or not the Packers have a decent running back. McCarthy has had a tendency to get a 1-2 TD lead by the end of the first half, then spend the 3rd quarter doing run-run-pass on 3rd and long and let the other team back in the game. When your RB is the good version of Eddie Lacy, it works out. When it's, I dunno, Ty Montgomery or Randall Cobb converted from WR, the other team tends to get back in the game. The opponents tie or get ahead in the 4th, then Rodgers has to magic up a win in the last 2 minutes.

The sense is, Aaron Jones is a good enough RB for that to work, but McCarthy seems adverse to giving him the ball. (Maybe because he fumbles? I don't know.)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't wait until they finally fire fat Mike and the Packers are still mediocre so you guys will have no one left to blame.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

American McGay posted:

I can't wait until they finally fire fat Mike and the Packers are still mediocre so you guys will have no one left to blame.

well there are always some things at fault for a team being bad.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Lions are gonna win tomorrow. Gonna kill that draft position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

American McGay posted:

I mean do you think the Spector of mediocrity haunts the Packers or what.

Teams are mediocre for like reasons. Usually involving the staff crafting and coaching the team.