Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Huge long shot but have you ever considered emailing the school and asking if anyone knows if that recipe book still exists?

I too love these local books because food can be extremely personal and the recipes chosen can sometimes provide insight into the lives of individuals or groups in a very specific era in a particular place. I showed my mother the “pigs in a blanket” and she happily shared memories of a similar dish her first boyfriend’s mother would make, sans tomato soup but with veal in addition to the other meats and layered with sauerkraut. We may give it a shot sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thank you! I think it was either Bodices or urBan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was at a friend's house today and noticed these:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Huge long shot but have you ever considered emailing the school and asking if anyone knows if that recipe book still exists?

I too love these local books because food can be extremely personal and the recipes chosen can sometimes provide insight into the lives of individuals or groups in a very specific era in a particular place. I showed my mother the “pigs in a blanket” and she happily shared memories of a similar dish her first boyfriend’s mother would make, sans tomato soup but with veal in addition to the other meats and layered with sauerkraut. We may give it a shot sometime soon.

Definite huge long shot, because those will happen with some regularity, whenever the PTA goes long enough to forget that they did one recently, or if there's a craft fair coming up and they want to have something to sell on their information table.

We just generally called it "stuffed cabbage."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of want to make all those donut recipes head-to-head and see which Minnesotan grandma's cuisine reigns supreme.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I went through one of my bookshelves this morning and took a bunch of pictures of books I don't think I've posted yet. Here are a few:

I've posted this one before, but this massive compilation of obscure texts from the ancient Near East is mandatory for anyone interested in ancient history/ biblical weirdness:

This two-volume paperback set contains selections from the big book. They'll do in a pinch, but I recommend the larger book if you can find one.

More tomorrow.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I read the poo poo out of those Worlds of Power novelizations in elementary school. I remember the one for Blaster Master being relatively good, but I was like 9 so there's that.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I read the Ninja Gaiden one, the ending made an impression on me at the time I think?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I've held on to these two books longer than any of the others on my shelves. I've had the first one since I was three-years old. It is well-worn.

My friend's older sister had Matt Groening's Love is Hell, School is Hell, and Work is Hell when I was in 4th/5th grade and I thought they were the best comics ever. I also sat through the Tracy Ullman show just to watch the minute-long Simpsons cartoons. It was much harder to find subversive media at a young age back in the 80's. Christ, I am getting old...

This was recommended to me because the main character worships Kurt Russell:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This one is too good.

I agree:

A couple more if you want to imagine churchill puffing hitler into dust forever:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Some recent pickups:

50s/60s driving manual

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So i was looking a cute book to get as a sort joke for my girlfriend. and i found this.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Blue-Tongued-Skink-Blue-Tongue/dp/0997861207

so i bought it along with a bunch of other Christmas poo poo.

so its a weird but somewhat charming retelling of eve in the garden. basicaly the serpent wants dinky to help him trick eve and dinky says no and dinky trys to distract her with blue berries and is soullessly mocked by both of them.

anyway she bites the apple and this page happend.

i'll post more pictures if anyone wants.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I stopped by the Salvation Army during my lunch break to see if they had anything new and exciting in the book room.

First up, here are a couple of things that I almost bought, but ultimately decided I did not need them taking up valuable space on my shelves.

Jim Bob!!

Lyndon LaRouche!!

Vegan Children!!

Corporate Daddies!!

Fugitive Moms!!

I totally want to publish a novel under this heading one day:

Here's what I ended up buying:

I was sold on this one by the promise of werefoxes and spirit fishes:

Arthur Hailey's overwrought epics Hotel and Airport were fun to read, so I figured I'd give this one a shot:

Elmore Leonard books are usually fun, and beat-up paperbacks are good to have on hand for bus, train, or plane rides.

A person can never know enough useless miscellany:

A fetishization of rural living:

Can Steve Martin write a funny novel? We shall see:

I love the cover of this one:

I was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, so I have a special fondness/ interest in that notoriously corrupt metropolis:

I was stoked to find this one for a buck since I've been wanting to re-read it and just recently realized that the copy I used to own has gone missing:

These looked sort of interesting:

This isn't a book, but a famous essay about paranoid political thought. It was written 54 years ago, yet still manages to explain the current insanity of American politics better than anything else I've read. It's only eight pages, and I highly recommend it:

https://harpers.org/archive/1964/11/the-paranoid-style-in-american-politics/

Finally, I posted this in the Trump lol thread a few days ago, but may as well tack it on here. Archive.org uploaded a scan of Mark Judge's memoir about being a remorseless trust-fund alcoholic with a terrible worldview, featuring the drunken antics of the newest U.S. Supreme Court Justice Bart O'Kavenaugh!!

https://archive.org/details/Wasted_20181003/page/n0

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Finally, I can convince my cat to get a job

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I ordered a couple of issues of Found magazine from their website:

They sent me a free sticker, as well as this random photo:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I recently won a large lot of 1970's fundamentalist Christian books, tracts, and pamphlets on ebay. The pictures on the listing were bad and it was tough to tell if there was anything worthwhile included, but the price was low and this book was featured prominently:

The title of this one is hilarious to me on multiple levels, so I took a risk and bought the lot.

Most of the rest aren't particularly notable, but there were some gems:

Finally, this isn't a book, but I don't care:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are any of the CHILLING PHOTOGRAPHS in this book any good?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I hope they’re just of that dude chilling.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Fornax Disaster posted:

The Canadair North Star was a DC-4 variant built under license with Rolls Royce Merlin engines. This relatively obscure subtype apparently justified a 300 page fully illustrated book about it. In the left corner of the picture is Airwar 2000, a think tank publication from 1988 that outlines plans for dealing with the threat that the Soviet Union's air power will pose in the 21st century.

It might seem shocking but I'll bet you nearly every living crew member of a North Star has that book plus a handful of others in their personal library. My grandpa was in the RCAF servicing CF-107 Argus maritime patrol planes and he's got probably every book ever written about that plane and loves talking about it. It might seem like an insignificant aircraft, but to the men and women whose job it was to keep those crews coming home every day it was their entire life. There's also a killer book about the Avro Arrow by Richard Organ from 1980 you should try to find if you're into that kind of thing. :canada:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What’s God's Smuggler about?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The CHILLING PHOTOGRAPHS include some gruesome crime scene photos, which I wasn't expecting. Not gonna post those, but I'll check again to see if there's anything notable. I haven't had a chance to read the book yet.

RandomPauI posted:

What’s God's Smuggler about?

Smuggling Bibles to the Commies!!

There is also a comic version of it, which happened to be included in a paperback compilation 1980's Spire comic books that I posted awhile back:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Finally, here is a paperback book collecting three issues of Spire Christian Comics from the early 80's:

I can't believe they left these gems out of it:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

YOU WILL ALL BURN IN HELL

CURB YOUR DOG

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've held on to these two books longer than any of the others on my shelves. I've had the first one since I was three-years old. It is well-worn.

Catching up to the thread late, but these are awesome (and way too pricey on Amazon, at least :(). I've fallen in love with odd popup book adaptations lately, my current favorite is beloved childrens' movie Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Most of it's basic but standard popup stuff:

But it also includes the unexpected greatest popup page I've seen:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I stopped by the Salvation Army yesterday, and although I only had a few minutes to browse the books, this one caught my eye:

I don't know anything about the author, but he seems like he was an interesting fella:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Belli

This is the only other one I grabbed. I might go back during lunch today because I just know I must have missed some more good stuff.

These were in a pile of free books left by people moving out of my apartment building:

I'll be returning these to the free pile, but I laughed when I saw the name of the publisher of thus cosmetology textbook/ workbook, so I figured it was worthy of a picture:

This will probably go back to the free pile after a quick skim, but I thought I should see if I'm missing any of the countless creative ways my cat tries to annoy me into giving her more food.

I saw this at Walgreens (home of all my Doomsday shopping needs) yesterday and could not resist purchasing it:

I can survive this....

I've been working on this my whole life...

I've mentioned it before, but Doomsday Preppers was a fantastic and hilarious TV show and everyone should see it. I want to leave work and go binge-watch a bunch of it right now!!!

Unrelated to anything (or possibly related to everything), here is a piece of fine art that my girlfriend brought back for me after a weekend trip to Mexico:

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 25, 2018

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Pandemic wasn't exciting enough to warrant an exclamation point :(

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My bookshelves have a small medical section, dedicated to old/weird books. I purchased an addition at a old book sale recently.

It's a 1917 copyright. Second edition, too. It touts itself as having a good many plates and illustrations and it certainly does. So, so many anuses and rectums with various diseases and injuries.

Here is one of the images that is worksafe. Arguably, it's :nms:

The rest of the shelf:

A Practical Treatise on Disorders of the Sexual Function in the Male and Female, which is also 1910s.
Mental Hygiene (1927)
Psychiatry for the Curious (1939)
Anatomy handbook
Principles of Abnormal Psychology (1941)
Modern Home Medical Advisor (1930s)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Here is one of the images that is worksafe. Arguably, it's :nms:

Number 2 either ends with a brush or those are exclamation lines because that thing is gonna hurt real bad.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I stopped by the Salvation Army on my lunch break and bought some books.

My paperback copy of this one is falling apart, so I figured I'd spend $2 to upgrade to a hardcover copy.

This is yet another book that I thoroughly enjoyed and used to own, but I foolishly sold/ donated it because I thought I'd never read it again. As so often happens, I've been wanting to re-read it, so here we are.

So last night I was lazily looking at mid-20th century U.S. anti-communist comic books and other propaganda on ebay, and although I refrained from buying anything, I saw a few listings for this book. I've wanted to read it for at least a decade, but I've never actually got around to getting a copy. Fresh on my mind, I was stoked to see a $1 copy today.

I also saw an original copy of this nutty and racist brochure from 1968 on ebay, but the seller was asking way more money ($120 plus shipping I think) than I was willing to pay for a single folded piece of paper. Happily, I found a pdf online. Happy Halloween!!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Mental Hygiene
Psychiatry for the Curious (1939)
Principles of Abnormal Psychology (1941)

I'd like to see more from these.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

So last night I was lazily looking at mid-20th century U.S. anti-communist comic books and other propaganda on ebay, and although I refrained from buying anything, I saw a few listings for this book. I've wanted to read it for at least a decade, but I've never actually got around to getting a copy. Fresh on my mind, I was stoked to see a $1 copy today.

I had a class in High School called "Reading for Enjoyment," where we would just bring books in and read all period. Easiest class ever, but yeah, I read this one and I remember liking it, I should reread it one of these days.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I read about half of "We". Every other page. I sat next to a guy who was reading it during a really dull lecture class.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's not too interesting to look at (blank cover but for the title), but the weirdest book I own is a US army medical textbook called War Psychiatry, all about precisely when, how and how much to drug up soldiers. I'll post contents if people want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

It's not too interesting to look at (blank cover but for the title), but the weirdest book I own is a US army medical textbook called War Psychiatry, all about precisely when, how and how much to drug up soldiers. I'll post contents if people want.

do that poo poo