Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm gonna keep guessing that Lizard Tail Cut has all the powers of a Monster Hunter protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Todoroki is going to learn to focus his entire flame output into a very narrow beam and we will be seeing if Recovery Girl can heal someone from being bisected via plasma cutter.

Actually that would be a more interesting approach to his power than the standard "A massive wall of ice or fire or fire and ice is better than a less massive one", exploring more precise control of flames and ice to get some desired effect without freezing or burning everything in the vicinity. Like using blunt explosives versus a shaped charge.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Indiana_Krom posted:

Todoroki is going to learn to focus his entire flame output into a very narrow beam and we will be seeing if Recovery Girl can heal someone from being bisected via plasma cutter.

Actually that would be a more interesting approach to his power than the standard "A massive wall of ice or fire or fire and ice is better than a less massive one", exploring more precise control of flames and ice to get some desired effect without freezing or burning everything in the vicinity. Like using blunt explosives versus a shaped charge.
I think the whole fire-beam thing is what Endeavor wants to teach him.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it would be cool to see todoroki go for a hypercontrolled cutter kind of a thing rather than endeavor's big mugen mexibeam

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Vigilantes!

Koichi and Aizawa: Best Friends Forever!

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Didn’t bakugou already do the laser thing when they were making up signature moves?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mina came up with it first, and then Bakugo stole it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm gonna keep guessing that Lizard Tail Cut has all the powers of a Monster Hunter protagonist.

so he's gonna lose once people figure out he gets trapped in animation priority?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhonne posted:

New Vigilantes!

Koichi and Aizawa: Best Friends Forever!

Koichi really doesn't understand the concept of a secret identity.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Horikoshi is best when is taking inspiration from Western comics and worst when he is indulging in manga's excesses (a second tournament arc already)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

The problem with this plan is it assumes Izuku will even notice broken bones at this point.

The evidence does not encourage this interpretation.

His next fight will be like King Arthur vs The Black Knight from Monty Python.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RatHat posted:

Koichi really doesn't understand the concept of a secret identity.

His vigilante outfit is literally a hoodie while both of his partners at least wear eye masks. He's pretty dumb about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This arc is loving boring.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Arist posted:

This arc is loving boring.

better than the SoL arc where second most useless girl teaches deku breakdancing and third most useless girl sings for everyone. that arc had even less stakes than this

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

better than the SoL arc where second most useless girl teaches deku breakdancing and third most useless girl sings for everyone. that arc had even less stakes than this

So many bad opinions in one post.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

drjuggalo posted:

and yet it was much more interesting than this one!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

drjuggalo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXNe7vVTnkw

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe I should take a break from this thread

Too many bad opinions being thrown around, cause I'm enjoying this arc

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

Maybe I should take a break from this thread

Too many bad opinions being thrown around, cause I'm enjoying this arc

It reads like a few people just found out what the word "stakes" means and want to use it as much as possible.

If something isn't moving the plot forward at a pace I approve of, it shouldn't even be drawn!! There's no stakes!! No fun allowed!!

I bet they're the kind of people who dislike the Davy Back Fight arc in One Piece. I have my complaints about this arc too but it's a Shonen manga and there's been limited Deku and that to me is a blessing. I love Deku but other shonen I could name refuse to let their protagonists out of the spotlight for a few seconds and it kills the side cast because they never get a chance to shine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I have mixed feelings on this arc mostly because I don't like the pivot to "fight in a training exercise like you're trying to murder your opponent" since this series has always tacked a little bit more realistically when it comes to consequences, and because we're spending a toooooon of time on a bunch of Class B people who I don't know will ever appear with any consistency after this.

I like it because of the potential for side characters from Class A to maybe show off and do something even though that hasn't really happened yet(and a couple of them, like Hagakure and Aoyama, look way worse than when they didn't get screentime at all).

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Kanos posted:

I have mixed feelings on this arc mostly because I don't like the pivot to "fight in a training exercise like you're trying to murder your opponent" since this series has always tacked a little bit more realistically when it comes to consequences, and because we're spending a toooooon of time on a bunch of Class B people who I don't know will ever appear with any consistency after this.

I like it because of the potential for side characters from Class A to maybe show off and do something even though that hasn't really happened yet(and a couple of them, like Hagakure and Aoyama, look way worse than when they didn't get screentime at all).

I think there's definitely been a pretty consistent throughline in MHA of the very western comics "With great power comes great responsibility" concept, most consistently manifested in the adults repeatedly pointing out how bad it is that Deku's quirk injures him so badly. I don't think it's very hard to see how this same concept could be seen to be valid for students not injuring each other unnecessarily with their quirks, but MHA's record on that particular aspect has been...inconsistent. On one hand Bakugo got criticized for going so hard against Deku in one of the first practice sessions (and even had some similarities to this one where some students were seen as villains), but on the other hand we have the time where All Might went in HARD on Deku and Bakugo. I think MHA's messaging in this regard hasn't been as consistent as some people say and that's resulting in some discontent the longer it goes on.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's been pretty consistent - the only actual inconsistent part is bakugou getting admonished for going hard. since then it's really consistently been "ok you guys are going to have to go like your lives depend on it or you"ll get killed by the terrifying villain teams that have started to operate"

deku being admonished for being self-destructive is a distinct thing. they want to put out heroes that will win forever and deku won't do that if he explodes his own body

stain and then AfO vs OfA explicitly changed the tone of the world and the school

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't remember the risking your life thing coming up before this arc, at least in training sessions. They've had some creative ways to achieve victory without having to go hard against their opponents in everything but the tournament, and even that had the option to knock the opponent out of the ring. This is the first time the goal has been that you need to explicitly incapacitate your opponents.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Patware posted:

it's been pretty consistent - the only actual inconsistent part is bakugou getting admonished for going hard. since then it's really consistently been "ok you guys are going to have to go like your lives depend on it or you"ll get killed by the terrifying villain teams that have started to operate"

deku being admonished for being self-destructive is a distinct thing. they want to put out heroes that will win forever and deku won't do that if he explodes his own body

stain and then AfO vs OfA explicitly changed the tone of the world and the school

I think the difference between Bakugou trying to murder Deku in their first practice fight and all the stuff happening in this arc, is that y'know he was actually trying to murder Deku. Like Tetsutetsu is shouting about treating this like it's life or death, giving it a 100% and everything but I never got the impression either he or Todoroki intended to kill the other, while Bakugou got so pissed that this wimpy he kid he always bullied and had a complex about suddenly was real strong and standing up for himself that he just basically lost it and started using lethal force.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

For me this arc doesn't feel great because Horikoshi just isn't that great at writing battles like these.

Not having stakes is fine but if that's the case you need to make the battles itself interesting, which I don't think is happening here.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think the difference between Bakugou trying to murder Deku in their first practice fight and all the stuff happening in this arc, is that y'know he was actually trying to murder Deku. Like Tetsutetsu is shouting about treating this like it's life or death, giving it a 100% and everything but I never got the impression either he or Todoroki intended to kill the other, while Bakugou got so pissed that this wimpy he kid he always bullied and had a complex about suddenly was real strong and standing up for himself that he just basically lost it and started using lethal force.

I think that's part of my problem with the fights in this arc. Tetsutetsu "knows" that Todoroki isn't going to actually kill him, so it seems like he's taking advantage of this just being for practice. I got a similar feeling from Mushroom Girl taking advantage of Tokoyami not knocking her out to choke him out with a mushroom.

If this turns out to be something that's addressed at the end of this arc my opinion of it might turn around. I can see some kind of theme popping up with the students who've been involved in more actual life or death situations not going overboard in a practice sessions while the students whose exposure to that has been minimal feeling like they NEED to go overboard to be on the same level.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Tetsutetsu is basically asking Todoroki to go all out at him. He's shouting that he doesn't care if he gets injured and that this whole match is pointless if they don't give it everything they've got and try to go beyond their limits.

And like Tetsutetsu is one of two Class B students who has been in a life or death fight with a villain who was trying to kill him. He's an idiot but he's not completely oblivious of what it's like to fight a villain.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
todoroki and iida were the ones who really took it overboard before the tower toppled

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah you're both right. I might take a break from this thread until this arc is over, I'm beginning to be uncomfortable with how consistently negative I'm being.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Part of the problem with this arc is previous arcs have set up a situation where the school was getting criticized for the students being put in too much danger, to the point where the kids have to be placed in dorms to keep villains away from them, and the UA might get shut down if they can't keep the students safe. If the story was being consistent the teachers would not allow fights like this to happen because the minute it gets let out that the staff is letting the students drop buildings on each other the authorities would be on their asses.

Horoshiki is an entertaining writer, but right now there is a narrative disconnect in how he is taking the story which is probably why some people here are having trouble enjoying this arc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think the main In-universe issue with the exercise is that it draws tribal lines between the classes. Vlad, and 1-B, in particular, have a chip on their shoulders because they haven't been lucky enough to be assaulted and nearly murdered as many times as 1-A has. Meaning 1-A has gotten more experience and notoriety. If they wanted to really teach these kids, they'd have done a mixed match, pairing up teams of half 1-A and half 1-B and pitting them against other teams. As it would make them have to work with people whose quirk they don't usually work with, and it removes the loving tribalism of "Hell yeah 1-A/B gotta win this!" Instead, like... Ojiro, Shouji, Pony girl, Drill boy, and Iida are all doing this exercise well, and loving Todoroki, Mudman and Tetsu are going ham on it.

The thing that annoys me with Mudman and Tetsu, is the two, in story, are being bad heroes/villains. If you're a hero, and remember the point of the exercise is for you to ACT as a hero, while being considered a villain by the enemy team. If you're a hero, you'd never cause the damage that Mudman did in an attempt to stop a villain who was retreating. That would be such a bad thing to do. And for Tetsu, going balls out like that where he could have died, that's a bad thing for a hero to do, especially one working with others. He should and could have retreated and regrouped. Yes, Todoroki is a dangerous threat, but when he's literally coming close to melting you, you need to reasses.

As for Todoroki, I don't fault him necessarily for going as far out as he did, especially after Mushroom girls antics. That said, taking such a harsh fire with a villain... I realize he too couldn't retreat and thus was in a do-or-die situation, but like... if Tetsu had been injured, what were you going to do?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the issue is really just the kinda standard dissonance between how the characters are humans who can be injured in semi-realistic ways (It's minor but Iida has nerve damage in an arm due to being stabbed) to people being well, shounen characters who by their nature are far more durable (Iida has a liquefied building dropped on him and will probably be fine). Most series deal with this by having literally magic healing sources that heal lingering/complex injuries- where MHA just has Recovery Girl who explicitly DOES NOT do that and instead just shortens healing time.

You could probably make a lot of people happy literally just explaining why it's okay people are going so hard (i.e. the staff/faculty mention internally they're gonna push the kids harder due to being kinda desperate, or the end of the exercise has the teachers admonishing the kids who laid waste to the area and went too hard). I get why people are kinda annoyed by that; generally the series has tried to be internally consistent on this stuff and that's been one of the better parts. I really liked that they actually had the parents and public BE UPSET the kids were attacked both times instead of having the traditionally psychotically supportive shounen parents.

The arc itself I'm enjoying because it's exactly something I wanted: The 1-B kids getting to do poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've never really been all that interested by this series' fights, especially ones like this one that don't actually mean anything at all for the heroes, but the problem here is that there's just no good sense of geography. I have no idea where anyone is in relation to each other or what the features of the scene are (because we're constantly moving to new locations and jumping around), which is a real problem when it feels like most of this arc's fights are getting resolved by someone jumping in from offscreen to stage a rescue like Iida did here.

The fights themselves are also just pretty unremarkable as fights, and I've never really been down with the "gotta be the best" thing this series loves to push so the motivations are also really stale imo. I can understand why someone might feel differently, it's just unfortunately a perfect storm of things I don't terribly like about this series.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Onmi posted:

As for Todoroki, I don't fault him necessarily for going as far out as he did, especially after Mushroom girls antics. That said, taking such a harsh fire with a villain... I realize he too couldn't retreat and thus was in a do-or-die situation, but like... if Tetsu had been injured, what were you going to do?

I think he subconsciously held back from just melting him, tbh

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
The worst thing about those fights is that they come after incredible Gentle fight. Like this poo poo is incredibly boring most of the time. The most interesting thing is Mudmans quirk and all we got is a couple of panels of him swimming in the ground and I guess Iida got stuck but not really? And the focus is on the generic my fighting spirit is hotter than yours premise and dropping buildings on each other.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Eh I don't really have a problem with this arc.
We've had some cool stuff like reintroduction Shinzo, the battle of edgelords and Ida ripping his own engines out.

I also get the feeling Horikoshi's not doing too well, judging by his recent break, lower page amount and his artist comments. So maybe this is kind of a break for him. Just have some neat battles with little to no plot progression?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I would think having to draw big bombastic battle panels every week would be more draining and exhausting than a more muted, plot-heavy arc.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's teenagers going ham with their powers even after being told not to, because kids will be kids

Kinda disappointed by the lack of facepalms coming from Aizawa and Vlad

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Remember UA is allowed to go a bit overboard because of Recovery Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember UA is allowed to go a bit overboard because of Recovery Girl.

not sure accelerated natural healing can fix being melted or suffocating