Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still don't get why they decided to jump from the first installment in the series to the 4th with this one.

Like, if you're trying to bring the series back into the public consciousness or whatever, wouldn't you make a sequel to the first one or remake the first one? Why skip all the way to the 4th?

That confused the heck out of me too. Such a weird decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At least they didn't try and reboot it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually assumed that they'd already done all three books with Rooney Mara, but they'd gone direct to dvd or something.

Probably conflating them with the ones that had Noomi Rapace.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They probably skipped books 2 and 3 because they're irredeemable garbage with no value to save.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The source being garbage has never stopped them before.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vince MechMahon posted:

They probably skipped books 2 and 3 because they're irredeemable garbage with no value to save.

In that case they should have skipped the first one too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vince MechMahon posted:

So's the first book and they made a totally fine movie out of it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So's the first book and they made a totally fine movie out of it.

The first book at least has the core of a murder mystery that's interesting. The second and third have Lisbeths retard strong secret brother.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's lots of terrible anime, but there are also lots of good ones. Just like anything else.

For instance, Rose of Versailles owns.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

The first book at least has the core of a murder mystery that's interesting. The second and third have Lisbeths retard strong secret brother.
This one has Lisbeth's evil secret crime boss sister so it's not any better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why the hell doesn't this one have Rooney Mara in it? It's not like she's some hot commodity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This one has Lisbeth's evil secret crime boss sister so it's not any better.

Wow girls got an impressive family.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I was actually pretty intrigued by Spider's Web just because a lot of the action and cinematography looked pretty on point and, also, it's like the closest we're going to get to a Black Widow movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why the hell doesn't this one have Rooney Mara in it? It's not like she's some hot commodity.
Maybe she lost interest in the series and moved on? Or Claire Foy is just "in" right now. I swear to god, there was one time a few months ago when I went to the movies and saw trailers for like 3 movies she was in back to back.

Rooney Mara certainly looked/acted the part way better, though. Lisbeth is supposed to be menacing, right? I never once got that impression from Claire Foy in this one.

K. Waste posted:

I was actually pretty intrigued by Spider's Web just because a lot of the action and cinematography looked pretty on point and, also, it's like the closest we're going to get to a Black Widow movie.
The cinematography is far and away the best part of the movie, though most of it still isn't exceptional. There's a really cool scene in a nightclub that makes good use of lighting though, and a scene where Lisbeth gets trapped in this like black latex vacuum sealed bag that's pretty clearly a bondage thing but looks neat.

Also like I mentioned, some really dope cold looking shots of Stockholm and more rural parts of Sweden.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 10, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm just thinking back to the leaked Sony emails where she seemed bummed out about it and hopeful about more work.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mara wanted to do it cause she loved the character but the studio seemed to not like her.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That pisses me off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Any Pascal and Co suck poo poo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I remember reading an interview with Mara where she revealed she had gotten her nipples pierced to more deeply get into the character. Imagine digging a character so much and wanting to continue playing it so badly that you have a body modification performed and then get ghosted out of the franchise because Sony’s too deep into planning their epic Paul Giamatti Rhino trilogy in the Spider-Man Universe to pay attention to your moderately successful film.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fart City posted:

Sony’s too deep into planning their epic Paul Giamatti Rhino trilogy in the Spider-Man Universe to pay attention

I'm the sole audience for that trilogy

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fart City posted:

I remember reading an interview with Mara where she revealed she had gotten her nipples pierced to more deeply get into the character. Imagine digging a character so much and wanting to continue playing it so badly that you have a body modification performed and then get ghosted out of the franchise because Sony’s too deep into planning their epic Paul Giamatti Rhino trilogy in the Spider-Man Universe to pay attention to your moderately successful film.

Sony just saw through her biting Paul’s style. He had gotten his nipples pierced to play Rhino 3 months before Mara did.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm the sole audience for that trilogy

No

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
An entire movie about Paul Giamatti as a 12 foot tall mecha-rhino just trying to maneuver his way around his everyday life in downtown NY while he's on bail and waiting for his court date to come up would be genuinely great

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sony is crap. But if we could get Falling Down, only 110% Paul Giamatti raging in a giant mecha Rhino suit, it is a good thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Why a mecha suit, though? I'm vaguely aware that's how Rhino is depicted in some alternative universe or other, the problem being that it's lame as hell. Give me vaguely magical/scientific Rhino-suit with ill-defined invulnerability and superstrength over Animal-shaped Flightless Iron Man any day.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Give me power armour Rhino, but the suit is made from a real rhino.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Make it a non-humanoid mechanical rhino, and when Spider-Man destroys it's air conditioning Paul Giamatti has to strip naked and escape through the back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Why a mecha suit, though? I'm vaguely aware that's how Rhino is depicted in some alternative universe or other, the problem being that it's lame as hell. Give me vaguely magical/scientific Rhino-suit with ill-defined invulnerability and superstrength over Animal-shaped Flightless Iron Man any day.

There's a trend to really slather on heaps of details and textures to big screen adaptations of comicbook costumes and it's a lot easier to do that with a mecha suit than with what pretty much amounts to a giant rhino fursuit, I guess.

Also I'm pretty sure that it's also a lot easier (and therefore cheaper) to animate a CGI mech suit and incorporate it into footage since it's pretty much made up of a bunch hard flat surfaces that move mechanically rather than organically, and it sidesteps a whooooooole bunch of problems trying to avoid the Uncanny Valley effect of having a giant CGI humanoid creature interact with actual actors.

Of course, Deadpool 2 came along a few years later and went "Nah it's not that hard, just cover your guy up in a big yellow jumpsuit and have almost his entire face hidden in a helmet and it's all good."

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 11, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm guessing part of why Sony hates non-Spider-man movies is because you can't sell mountains of merchandise of them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm guessing part of why Sony hates non-Spider-man movies is because you can't sell mountains of merchandise of them.

They can't sell any merchandise from Spider-Man either, their original 1999 licencing deal with Marvel split the merchandising profits 50/50 between the two and Marvel got 5% of the box office but in 2011 Sony gave all the merchandising rights back to get that 5% back.
https://www.investopedia.com/news/disney-expects-merch-windfall-spiderman/

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That seems like a really bad exchange.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They probably thought they could get SM up to Avengers money which is a little cart before the horse.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

Sony is crap. But if we could get Falling Down, only 110% Paul Giamatti raging in a giant mecha Rhino suit, it is a good thing.

Only the suit is just
https://goo.gl/images/eEVKcs

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

And the movie is like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlzm7-gvTRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OhIdDNtSv0

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fart City posted:

I remember reading an interview with Mara where she revealed she had gotten her nipples pierced to more deeply get into the character. Imagine digging a character so much and wanting to continue playing it so badly that you have a body modification performed

She got some piercings. It's not like she really tattooed a dragon on her back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Almost Blue posted:

That seems like a really bad exchange.

Listen, the Amazing Spider-Man shared cinematic universe is going to be huge, especially once it gets to the Peter's Dad: A Spider-Man Story spin-off origin movie.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think they could probably have merchandised Jumanji to hell and back but I imagine they weren't expecting it to be as big a hit as it was (it made more money than any other Spider-Man film there's ever been and came very close to giving them a billion dollar movie) so I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't have any tie-in junk ready to roll out.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Fart City posted:

How about we talk about Arizona, the weird comedy/slasher hybrid starring Danny McBride that's been building some buzz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14E4BrNpd6Q

This looks rather promising. These crime-caper-gone-wrong* films are very hard to pull for people not named 'Joel/Ethan Coen'.

Solid cast, some decent gags, not sure about the tone, but it is only a trailer.

* Speaking of which, was that Bad Times at El Royale any good? Guy at work, who generally has pretty good taste, loved it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

You'd think they could probably have merchandised Jumanji to hell and back but I imagine they weren't expecting it to be as big a hit as it was (it made more money than any other Spider-Man film there's ever been and came very close to giving them a billion dollar movie) so I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't have any tie-in junk ready to roll out.

I had a quick look and as far as I can tell the only tie-in stuff were two Funko Pop figures and a mobile game which was closed down back in May. I'm pretty sure both of those would have been created by outside parties who approached Sony so it's looking like Sony didn't bother doing any tie-in merchandising for what turned out to be the the biggest movie they've ever released. (Skyfall made slightly more worldwide)

Holy gently caress, how are they so bad at this??

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 11, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, she got piercings. She modded her body for a role because she dug it so much. Then she got iced out of the franchise. It still shows how dedicated she was to the character.

BeigeJacket posted:

This looks rather promising. These crime-caper-gone-wrong* films are very hard to pull for people not named 'Joel/Ethan Coen'.

Solid cast, some decent gags, not sure about the tone, but it is only a trailer.

* Speaking of which, was that Bad Times at El Royale any good? Guy at work, who generally has pretty good taste, loved it.

Birth Movies Death has been hyping it for awhile now, and it sounds like it does kind of bleed surprisingly into an actual slasher towards the end. But who knows if that's just Alamo Drafthouse fart huffing, or if its legit. I'm curious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

A dragon trampstamp would kick rear end tho

BeigeJacket posted:

It had some good scenes but was stretched too thin