Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

turn off the TV posted:

The event spawned fleet interception armies seem pretty out of line with the rest of the VCoast campaign relative to what they give. The treasure islands can pay out around 7000 gold for defeating an army with a level 1 lord and a handful of elite units. The medium risk event pays out 7000 gold for defeating a level 35 lord with an entire stack of gold veterancy elite units. I can't imagine what the high risk options look like.

I've only done one high risk one, the exotic goods trader, but it sounds pretty similar to the medium stack you described. Turned out to be a full stack of Empire Great Swords, Halberds, Handgunners, Reiksgard, Mortars and Cannons. All at rank 7 veterancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
CA please let me attack coastal settlements from the water. Thanks in advance.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Acute Grill posted:

CA please let me attack coastal settlements from the water. Thanks in advance.

Have you seen the horseshit that happens in Rome 2 / Attila with boats trying to dock and unload troops and the endless jank that entails. It breaks so many things and leads to basically 0 decent fights in return. This is a feature that is beyond CA and their engine's ability to implement.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Playing harkon , is everyone going lightning strike first or what, how are you building your pirate lords? I haven’t played since tomb kings and have forgotten so much.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
When you establish a pirate cove via attacking the settlement you get a lot of money too, does this count as sacking the settlement in gameplay terms? Is it boosted by +% sacking reward skills?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

PlushCow posted:

Playing harkon , is everyone going lightning strike first or what, how are you building your pirate lords? I haven’t played since tomb kings and have forgotten so much.

I went red tree to buff gun zombies first, then blue tree but never bothered with lightning strike. I kept my Harkon at sea, fighting pirates and treasure battles, with a lesser captain on land keeping the homefront secure. I never really had to deal with multiple armies for Harkon, and the lizards, rats, and elves had enough of a thunderdome going that they never had more than one army to spare at a time for my aggression on land. Mortal Empires can get more snowbally for some factions though, so I'd probably end up having to go for it eventually.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yes, though I'm only reasonably sure of this because you can get the trait that boosts sack income when you establish a pirate cove.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Have you seen the horseshit that happens in Rome 2 / Attila with boats trying to dock and unload troops and the endless jank that entails. It breaks so many things and leads to basically 0 decent fights in return. This is a feature that is beyond CA and their engine's ability to implement.

TW2 doesn't have boats so they can just give me a deploy zone along the coast. Fixed it. Check please. TIA.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is there a way to roll back to the previous version, before Vampire Coasts? Although the new factions look fun, I would like to finish my High Elves campaign which was five turns away from final vortexing. And also be able to use a lot of now-outdated mods.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Is there a way to roll back to the previous version, before Vampire Coasts? Although the new factions look fun, I would like to finish my High Elves campaign which was five turns away from final vortexing. And also be able to use a lot of now-outdated mods.

Opt in to the 'public beta' branch in the game's properties in steam. That's on the previous version at the moment.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1560357088

This looks like it adds enough extra units that you can play Aranessa's core infantry and powder units as 100% human and just back them up with crabs and whatnot, for those interested!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay, how on earth are you meant to do Battle of the Eternal Tides? You need to kill four full stacks, coming at you from different directions. You can only go so far before the ammo runs out. It's also one of those annoying quest battles that bugs out and doesn't let you deploy properly, so it's much harder to take advantage of the defensive grounds you're given.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I want amphibious maps where when you attack unwalled coastal settlements your zombies just Jason Voorhees their way out of the water. Having sieges with landing craft traversing a third of the map would be cool too.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, Mournghoul Haunters are loving blenders. Mine just waded into a pack of White Lions and Sea Guard and loving shredded them. Over 300 kills just from him, plus the mortars pulling 253 and 308 each, plus all the zombies firing into the blob.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Okay, how on earth are you meant to do Battle of the Eternal Tides? You need to kill four full stacks, coming at you from different directions. You can only go so far before the ammo runs out. It's also one of those annoying quest battles that bugs out and doesn't let you deploy properly, so it's much harder to take advantage of the defensive grounds you're given.

You absolutely need a gunnery wight in your ranks to keep your artillery firing, and someone with lore of vampires helps a lot too. I managed it on my first try but I was in extremely rough shape by the end. This was my army after the battle:

Queen Bess had over 1000 kills. I prioritised the extra ammo for her.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I haven't played the current patch yet, but from just looking at the new vampire count techs it would make a lot more sense if skeletons were -50-75% upkeep and zombies stayed at -100%, I don't see any reason why you'd ever research free zombies when the skeleton tech exists.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
This poo poo is ridiculous

4k kills and still a loss.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dongattack posted:

When you establish a pirate cove via attacking the settlement you get a lot of money too, does this count as sacking the settlement in gameplay terms? Is it boosted by +% sacking reward skills?

I don't know the answer but either way you can make more money by sacking the settlement then immediately building a cove on the same turn

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

This poo poo is ridiculous

4k kills and still a loss.

Get rid of like, at least half of those mortars if not more, they're giving you next to no value.

Also you probably want some anti-large infantry, and maybe even consider handgunners or something, they'll let you defend much more easily.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 10, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
One thing I like about a hybrid horde faction is that early on you can decide either to build up land bases or your ship. Ship is more flexible and works great as a tour bus of Mortal Empires, but I think settlements get more benefits from research and Rites.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know the answer but either way you can make more money by sacking the settlement then immediately building a cove on the same turn

Good point!

Also unrelated, there doesn't seem to be a way to replenish units while at sea and not in a friendly sea zone, or am i missing something?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

team overhead smash posted:

I've only done one high risk one, the exotic goods trader, but it sounds pretty similar to the medium stack you described. Turned out to be a full stack of Empire Great Swords, Halberds, Handgunners, Reiksgard, Mortars and Cannons. All at rank 7 veterancy.

i picked this one too, and it was not only mortars, cannons, reiksgard, handgunners, and empire soldiers, but two units of armored skinwolves and a frost dragon on top. idk if they were the exotic goods but that was a nasty fight.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Jeez well, done. Done with the gamiest army possible, but there it is.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The Leviathan and Necrofex seem pretty vulnerable vs empire in multiplayer (and presumably all other races with long range anti large artillery that aren't outranged by cannonades). Just had a 2v2 game against double VSea where my cannons won in the "let's get our cannons to blast each other" shootout and then I blasted Noctilus and Cylostra both on their respectie mounts to hell before they could advance on my army and then took down a second rotting leviathan before it could do much damage.

Of course I would have murdered Cylostra either way because I had the hammer of the witched so if she was on foot it'd only have taken a few shots on target to kill her.

Dongattack posted:

Good point!

Also unrelated, there doesn't seem to be a way to replenish units while at sea and not in a friendly sea zone, or am i missing something?

In non-contested sea zones my units get a small amount of replenishment each turn. Don't know if this is due to a tech I picked up or anything.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

team overhead smash posted:

In non-contested sea zones my units get a small amount of replenishment each turn. Don't know if this is due to a tech I picked up or anything.

Hmm, i'm not getting any replenishment in a neutral zone at least, so it must be something you don't start with.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the last battle's map is loving gorgeous

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Whorelord posted:

the last battle's map is loving gorgeous

Luthor's starting capital has a gorgeous special map too, but the ai doesnt seem to like to siege it very often so you never get to see it.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

How do you win siege battles as Vampire Coast gunlines? I can trash just about anything in the open field - but with a limited melee line (and not trusting my melee troops) I struggle badly when it comes to taking walled cities.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pummel the walls with motors and once they are cleared you are free to slowly push in.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
for people who are a fan of the hybrid horde/city faction, i'm almost certain this is how ogre kingdoms in TWW3 are going to work

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

neonchameleon posted:

How do you win siege battles as Vampire Coast gunlines? I can trash just about anything in the open field - but with a limited melee line (and not trusting my melee troops) I struggle badly when it comes to taking walled cities.

The way I took Mazda's capital was to siege it until him and a relief army engaged Cylostra and another half stack. Defending against them meant I got that great choke point map that utterly annihilated their clumped up lizards with Queen Bess Mortar spam.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i think part of what makes noctilus kinda boring is his whole story is 'he teleported his castle to the galleons graveyard to get special ocean powers', but he doesn't actually get any special ocean powers. he shoulda got lore of the deep.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

President Ark posted:

for people who are a fan of the hybrid horde/city faction, i'm almost certain this is how ogre kingdoms in TWW3 are going to work

travel around the world, meet strange new people, and eat them.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

John Charity Spring posted:

You absolutely need a gunnery wight in your ranks to keep your artillery firing, and someone with lore of vampires helps a lot too. I managed it on my first try but I was in extremely rough shape by the end. This was my army after the battle:

Queen Bess had over 1000 kills. I prioritised the extra ammo for her.

What do gunnery wights do for your army?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PlushCow posted:

Let you refill ammo

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

PlushCow posted:

they have an ability that can restore ammo to a unit (they get like 4 uses of it), they get an aura of missile damage and missile AP damage, and they get an active buff that increases accuracy and reload speed in a radius by quite a lot. if you keep them by your gun line or by your artillery they are a big multiplier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

PlushCow posted:

They work like dwarf/Skaven engineers. Being able to restore ammo is really useful on sieges as well.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zore posted:

Let you refill ammo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they have an ability that can restore ammo to a unit (they get like 4 uses of it), they get an aura of missile damage and missile AP damage, and they get an active buff that increases accuracy and reload speed in a radius by quite a lot. if you keep them by your gun line or by your artillery they are a big multiplier.

Well that sounds pretty good!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
ammo refills are pretty key for queen bess seeing as she has like 12 shots and one shot can delete like 75% of an infantry unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Guys I can’t stop hearing “ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY” in my head.