Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Trump is having a great time in France! Everyone agrees he is doing an excellent job of commemorating the war dead!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/juliareinstein/ww1-memorial-anniversary-trump-weather-macron-merkel posted:

President Trump was not set to attend the French–German event, as he and the first lady were scheduled to visit the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial, a cemetery about 60 miles from Paris where many American soldiers who died in WWI are buried.

However, their visit was canceled due to bad weather, with White House chief of staff John Kelly and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joe Dunford attending in their place.

Trump was supposed to travel by helicopter, which became impossible because helicopters can’t fly in such inclement weather, an AP reporter tweeted.

This explanation was insufficient for a few former staffers of President Obama’s White House.

Ben Rhodes, a former Obama deputy national security adviser, said he had helped plan these kinds of trips.

“There is always a rain option,” said Rhodes. “Always.”

And former Obama speechwriter Cody Keenan tweeted a photo of Obama giving a Memorial Day speech at a veterans cemetery in the pouring rain in 2010.

“Guess which President didn’t let a little weather stop him from honoring the troops,” Keenan said.

Another former Obama staffer, Pod Save America host Tommy Vietor, also called out Trump for never visiting US troops stationed in Afghanistan.

“And now he won’t honor the fallen at a World War I cemetery because of a little rain,” he said.

Rep. Eric Swalwell, a Democrat in California, criticized Trump for his absence, calling it an “embarrassment” that he “can't find his way to honor our fallen.”

“To win World War I, brave Americans fought through snow, mud, & sand with bombs dropping from above, landmines in the ground below, & bullets flying at their faces,” Swalwell tweeted. “The least of their worries was rain.”

The criticism didn’t come just from Americans, however; Nicholas Soames, a conservative British MP who is the grandson of prime minister Winston Churchill, also blasted Trump.

“They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen,” he tweeted.

Or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Your Taint posted:

Democraps. Or, if you're particularly clever, dumb-o-craps (no hyphens)

Saw dimmulibs in a comment section recently, seems like they lost the plot somewhere.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Groovelord Neato posted:

they lie with every breath but holy poo poo this is blatant trash.

Somebody is gonna try and murder poll workers because of this chucklefuck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dunno if anyone shared this but it's incredibly moving.

https://twitter.com/2ndBestPodcast/status/1060882690709303298

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
What is Megan Kelly up to anyway

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Motto posted:

:stare: seeing some pictures/reports on the cali fires and holy poo poo

i'm glad they seem to have learned absolutely nothing from the previous 2 recent death fires

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did they have orders to keep firing right up until a certian time, even while negotiations were going on? That's so strange to me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Your Taint posted:

Did they have orders to keep firing right up until a certian time, even while negotiations were going on? That's so strange to me.

It's not a real recording iirc

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thats powerful

Hardcore history also has some awesome series on WW1. Highly reccomended

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Somebody is gonna try and murder poll workers because of this chucklefuck.

that is likely the plan yes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pd1XYx27_U

this poo poo gets me too. 20,000 in the first day on just one side of the war. jesus.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 10, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

And despite what Trump says, the Camp Fire is likely caused by the investor owned utility (pg&e) refusing to trim trees and then refusing to turn off the power when the wind gusts got dangerous.

This is at least the 9th fire in 2 years they've caused this way.

Charge a few executives with manslaughter and the problem will solve itself real quick.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

He won reelection, so he must have been doing something right :smugbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

keep up the good work jack.

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1061378615206666240

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Laughing my butt off if you think WW1 ever ended.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I haven't really looked into this... is there any shred of truth to the claims that the reason California fires are as bad as they are is because environmentalist groups have been blocking efforts for controlled burns, which prevent fires from spreading?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Groovelord Neato posted:

keep up the good work jack.

Jesus Christ. :stare:

It’s too bad none of Twitter’s management will ever see a day in jail for this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calibanibal posted:

i mean your right sorta. it sure as hell didn't end poo poo. it just ripped the "human" face off of war for a decade or so.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

enraged_camel posted:

So I haven't really looked into this... is there any shred of truth to the claims that the reason California fires are as bad as they are is because environmentalist groups have been blocking efforts for controlled burns, which prevent fires from spreading?

Spin the wheel o America, take a guess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even if wasn't already pretty anticapitalist seeing facebook help carry out a genocide and twitter turning over dissidents (and giving the dumbest man alive a megaphone) would've probably tipped me over.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

enraged_camel posted:

The very act of fighting fires, which we have to do to protect human habitation, means that dead plant material builds up, and then eventually we get some mega-fire that sweeps through all that dead brush.

But no, the real issue is climate change resulting in long periods of drought and higher temperatures.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, goes with my feeling that it had nothing to do with the weather, I bet he's super pissy because of the election and/or something between him and Macron or other leaders and decided to sit it out and sulk, or his handlers decided he couldn't be seen in his current state.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

enraged_camel posted:

Long story short, most likely.

The entire enviroment of Californa was basically designed and developed by Native Americans in such a way that it needs regular controlled burns or everything goes to poo poo.

The burns were regular enough, and old enough that some of the first spanish accounts mention how everything is on fire and the Native American groups are the ones setting them. They of course get pissed because it fucks up their ranching stuff. The practice basically ends by the Mission period due to obviois reasons.

Part of it may be climate change, but its also heavily influenced by the fact we may have reached the point where the system is collapsing.

You know how its looking more and more likelt the Amazon also has some heavily human designed and devloped forests? Same with California but it involves much more fire.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 10, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Calibanibal posted:

Archduke Ferdinand's assassination was the most significant event of the 20th century and we're still feeling ripple effects.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

enraged_camel posted:

gently caress no, if anything environmentalists are big advocates for controlled burns because they burn out non-native vegetation and allow fire-adapted native plants to thrive

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Calibanibal posted:

:lol: at peeps who think anything in this world is real

other than Terry Crews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8f5RgwY8CI

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kale posted:

The problem with Chris Cillizza isn't that he's disagreeable, it's that his "analysis" is the absolute bare minimum to say you are kind of doing your job so you can stay in a position drivel. It's always the most absolute bleedingly loving obvious to even the dumbest most ignorant poo poo in the world "journalism". If you have even a fraction of a brain you can figure out just about anything he's tasked to "analyze" for yourself and probably a few more things on top of it in short order just by looking at the world around you for a few seconds. He's just the most useless and lazy loving pundit I've literally ever seen color commentary or otherwise.

I dunno, I feel like what makes him suck is he writes/talks about politics like he's on ESPN. Which is extra loving disgusting and infuriating when it's stuff where people are being hosed and/or dying.
Stuff like "HUGE win for the Elephants on Child Prison issue!", "Trump runs up the score on Muslim ban court decisions!".
He's definitely dumb and shallow of course. He's kind of like Wolf Blitzer on cocaine. Which is awful.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Your Taint posted:

Negotiations were already done by that point. They had set a specific time (11th hour of the 11th day) as the start of the cease fire, and yeah, people were still expected to fight up until that time.

In practice a lot of the soldiers gave the sort of half hearted effort one would expect that soldiers would give, but there are stories of British and Americans going over the top and getting killed the day of. It was horrible.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/michaelgmiller/status/1061092044310040577?s=19

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

What is Megan Kelly up to anyway

rolling around on a pile of money

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If it's a settled issue we can't have a thread free of dems bad chat can I now request we get a wordfilter to at least change the stupid word "dems" to something funny?

I propose "libs"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Caros posted:

Negotiations were already done by that point. They had set a specific time (11th hour of the 11th day) as the start of the cease fire, and yeah, people were still expected to fight up until that time.

In practice a lot of the soldiers gave the sort of half hearted effort one would expect that soldiers would give, but there are stories of British and Americans going over the top and getting killed the day of. It was horrible.

i think thousands of people died on the last day of the war. how you could be expected to fight and die until this ~special time~ which is hours away is beyond me.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Phobic Nest posted:

:lol: at peeps who think anything in this world is real

other than Terry Crews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8f5RgwY8CI

You are wonderful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think like trump that hannity is as dumb as his audience (i think he went straight from construction to talk radio).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sounds like the right wing noise machine has settled upon their talking point that there's massive fraudulent ballots and it's getting blasted from everyone from Trump and Hannity down to Charlie loving Kirk.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

It’s too bad none of Twitter’s management will ever see a day in jail for this.

social media being quickly revealed as mercenary intelligence agencies is certainly a twist i didn't see coming, but should have

Zwabu posted:

Sounds like the right wing noise machine has settled upon their talking point that there's massive fraudulent ballots and it's getting blasted from everyone from Trump and Hannity down to Charlie loving Kirk.

Dems could easily fire back with the fact that minority votes are constantly "misplaced" in gop districts but yknow, democrats

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Dems could easily fire back with the fact that minority votes are constantly "misplaced" in gop districts but yknow, democrats

I think "Why don't you want all the votes to be counted?" as a response to every single one of their idiot tirades about voter fraud is better, but that's just me.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yinlock posted:

social media being quickly revealed as mercenary intelligence agencies is certainly a twist i didn't see coming, but should have

I'm not sure how they've ever been anything but, which is why even on professional profiles I've tried to make them as placeholder as possible.

I haven't actually posted on non forums social media in years now.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

Mercernary nothhin'

The people who own them having lovely opinions, now that's a different thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

even if wasn't already pretty anticapitalist seeing facebook help carry out a genocide and twitter turning over dissidents (and giving the dumbest man alive a megaphone) would've probably tipped me over.

What was the Facebook genocide?

Your Taint posted:

Archduke Ferdinand's assassination was the most significant event of the 20th century and we're still feeling ripple effects.

quote:

The motorcade passed the first assassin, Mehmedbašić. Danilo Ilić had placed him in front of the garden of the Mostar Cafe and armed him with a bomb.[63] Mehmedbašić failed to act. Ilić had placed Vaso Čubrilović next to Mehmedbašić, arming him with a pistol and a bomb. He too failed to act. Further along the route, Ilić had placed Nedeljko Čabrinović on the opposite side of the street near the Miljacka River, arming him with a bomb.

At 10:10 am,[64] Franz Ferdinand's car approached and Čabrinović threw his bomb. The bomb bounced off the folded back convertible cover into the street.[65] The bomb's timed detonator caused it to explode under the next car, putting that car out of action, leaving a 1-foot-diameter (0.30 m), 6.5-inch-deep (170 mm) crater,[64] and wounding 16–20 people.[66]

Čabrinović swallowed his cyanide pill and jumped into the Miljacka river. Čabrinović's suicide attempt failed, as the old cyanide only induced vomiting, and the Miljacka was only 13 cm deep due to the hot, dry summer. Police dragged Čabrinović out of the river, and he was severely beaten by the crowd before being taken into custody.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 10, 2018