Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
question, when you donate to kickstarter it doesn't even put a hold on funds right? Like you say you gonna donate $1000 but they won't even check until the campaign ends right

does gofundme donate immediately? Is there even a way to back out on gofundme besides a chargeback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alan Smithee posted:

question, when you donate to kickstarter it doesn't even put a hold on funds right? Like you say you gonna donate $1000 but they won't even check until the campaign ends right

does gofundme donate immediately? Is there even a way to back out on gofundme besides a chargeback?

GoFundMe sends the money to the project runner immediately, however if it's a recent donation you can contact GoFundMe support and they'll try to refund you. It gets complicated if the project runner immediately withdrew as soon as the money arrived though.

There is a separate, much longer process, for getting a refund covered under things like "the person i donated to now seems to have asked under false pretenses" etc.

Kickstarter doesn't pull money at all until campaign end, although when it's the last 12 hours of a campaign they make it hard for you to change your pledge.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

Also, I just noticed that Kickstarter doesn't seem to display the backers any more. You used to be able to look at the names of everyone who backed, and you could investigate backer fraud more easily--some campaigns got canned when suspicious users looked into backers' histories and found extensive histories of backing failed or destined-to-fail campaigns. Now it just tells you what are the top cities and countries of the backers and how many were new backers and how many are returning. Even for old campaigns--Night in the Woods says 840 new backers and 6532 returning backers. This Spyfinder has 50, and 14 are new. There are no positive comments from backers, and the amount raised is just over the goal. While there are certainly real gadget crazies on KS who probably backed this, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the backers are fake.

I didn’t know that - a really useful indicator of whether a campaign is legit quietly removed, hmm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fishmech posted:

when it's the last 12 hours of a campaign they make it hard for you to change your pledge.

I didn't know that. What changes in the last 12 hours?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They just don't want people trying to troll by withdrawing their contribution at the last second.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

In the last 24 hours, if changing your pledge would drop a project below its funding goal, the site won't let you. It's pretty much irrelevant to a normal user.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Subjunctive posted:

My guess is people who put in money just to post comments.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rapulum_Dei posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spyassociates/spyfinder-pro-hidden-camera-detector-spying-preven

Another one hoping people don’t realise it already exists for 5% of the price.

If the cameras are undetectable then how does this detect them with just LEDs?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

If the cameras are undetectable then how does this detect them with just LEDs?

I think it uses a specific wavelength of red or near-ir LEDs, which can pass though the little red window. The lights will glint off the camera lens, but the filter reduces other light, making the flashing light stand out. There are apparently $3 phone apps that do this, but you have to use the flash and the range is poor.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burritothermos/the-burrito-thermos?ref=discovery

Is this a joke? It seems like a joke. It can't possible be serious.

It's a joke.

Right?

Please let this be a joke.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

CollegeCop posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burritothermos/the-burrito-thermos?ref=discovery

Is this a joke? It seems like a joke. It can't possible be serious.

It's a joke.

Right?

Please let this be a joke.

Considering the photos, I'd say it's a joke.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The phrase "mono-use innovation" should be a dead giveaway.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I'm certain this this foam icecream sandwich will totally clean your teeth in 6 seconds like promised.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100951725/unobrush-toothbrushing-reimagined

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

They’re selling mr clean magic erasers that you chew on, aren’t they?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's Clean DDS now.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Milkbones, but for millennials.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how at the end the guy frantically throws in "thank you for watching, now let's change the world for the better". Like, none of these motherfuckers can help themselves from throwing in something about how they are changing the world.

If Truck Nutz were invented when kickstarter was around they'd have found some way to call it a revolution or try to make it sound like they are saving starving orphans.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Nov 7, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bugsy posted:

I'm certain this this foam icecream sandwich will totally clean your teeth in 6 seconds like promised.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100951725/unobrush-toothbrushing-reimagined

It doesn't even come close to the tops of her teeth.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

We donate 5% of profits to the Truck Nutz Testicular Awareness Charity!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

truck nuts seem like a boomer thing though

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, millennials can't afford transportation.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

T-man posted:

We donate 5% of profits to the Truck Nutz Testicular Awareness Charity!!

Come on it's 2018. 'We support Testicular Cancer awareness with continued exposure '

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, millennials can't afford transportation.

Microwallet nuts, though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Microwallet nuts, though.

And cellphones.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01122006

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bugsy posted:

It boggles the mind that anyone would fall for this but of course thousands of people have.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It boggles the mind that anyone would fall for this but of course thousands of people have.

I'm guessing a few hundred techbros who don't like brushing their teeth like normal human beings, and the creators themselves ensuring it will hit the final goals so they can take the money and run.

Also clearly you are supposed to remove your cheek flesh for the vibrating foam dildo to cleanse your teeth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here is the prototype for my own kickstarter that will whiten your teeth in seconds

Copyright @ me

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
got any that does it in gold?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm pretty sure the "docking station" is handmade out of plastic corrugated cardboard lol. You can see it in a few pics and a GIF they have on the kickstarter

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

I'm pretty sure the "docking station" is handmade out of plastic corrugated cardboard lol. You can see it in a few pics and a GIF they have on the kickstarter

I'd guess 3D printed. The black parts look layered.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

This is the biggest scam I've seen in a while. The Facebook is full of obviously fake comments and already has "recommendations" for how great this product is. Also a cursory Google search shows absolutely no mention of it in any of the journals/places it's supposedly mentioned, and no mentions of it winning the awards it's supposedly won.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what's the thread title from

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Portable masterbation hut.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

T-man posted:

Portable masterbation hut.

page number?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Alan Smithee posted:

page number?

Your mom's number in the phonebook.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the thread title from

It was a little tent you could attach a cell phone to the inside of, and put over your head while you lie down so you can watch videos in public without distractions. The thread title is a joke somebody made about a thing the tent isn't meant to do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alan Smithee posted:

page number?

535. This post is a link to the start of the discussion:

Literally a school project, lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't forget to vape your vitamins Billy

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sparq-s-vitamin-air-breathe-in-your-vitamins?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=9c.go2.fund#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-dJjhBcEE

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

This is the most white-people thing, I feel like I live in San Fransisco now. When do we go to Disney Land and refuse to ride public transit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

The most pretentious way to take the most pretentious supplements.

It's also a bit weird because I wouldn't think health nuts that are into superfruits are huge fans of smoking/vaping.