Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

orange juche posted:

Someone is gonna shop Trump into the picture and the actual one will be decried as fake news.

quick send it to the chuds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1061168803218948096?s=21

Words cannot describe the visceral hatred I have for this piece of poo poo.

The worst part is that he's right in his broken clock way, even with climate change a lot of these fires would be less severe and spread slower if prescribed burning wasn't cockblocked at every turn.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So what does the thread think about forcing senators and congressmen to stay in government owned apartments?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

So what does the thread think about forcing senators and congressmen to stay in government owned apartments?

well, its not quite a guillotine

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Only if they're built to the same standard as Army barracks.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
make the relative niceness of their housing commensurate with the lower 20% of their constituency

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
When they complain just call them lazy and entitled

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Government trailer park.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Can we vote for roommate selections?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm actually cool with big strong daddy not sullying our memorial with his taint.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Concentrating on politician housing is kind of a round-about bandaid on an issue that won't really make an actual difference. Publicly funded elections so the job isn't raising money, or having enough money to purchase the infrastructure to get into politics. Fix that, take a chunk out of the lobbyist vice grip on politics and, by extension, all their wealthy backers. Once the barrier to entry isn't "be a millionaire, or be bought by a billionaire", the housing can be sorted out later.

Hell if someone waved a magic wand that ripped the lobbying industry out of DC root and branch, I bet a quarter of the housing in the area would open up overnight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Casimir Radon posted:

For security reasons I think it's a terrible idea.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MA-Horus posted:

I'm actually cool with big strong daddy not sullying our memorial with his taint.

On one hand it would be great to have a photo of him with his spray tan running because of a light drizzle. On the other, tomorrow is too important a day for him to gently caress up just by being there.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

MA-Horus posted:

I think trump was going to the American WW1 cemetery, not the Vimy ridge monument in the picture of Trudeau's picture of the terrible weather going on. They could be close by, I don't know the geography of the area

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Concentrating on politician housing is kind of a round-about bandaid on an issue that won't really make an actual difference. Publicly funded elections so the job isn't raising money, or having enough money to purchase the infrastructure to get into politics. Fix that, take a chunk out of the lobbyist vice grip on politics and, by extension, all their wealthy backers. Once the barrier to entry isn't "be a millionaire, or be bought by a billionaire", the housing can be sorted out later.

Hell if someone waved a magic wand that ripped the lobbying industry out of DC root and branch, I bet a quarter of the housing in the area would open up overnight.

Also why are we giving a poo poo about putting up a bunch of elected assholes?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

Also why are we giving a poo poo about putting up a bunch of elected assholes?
Removes the economic burden for less than wealthy people to run for office, and forces wealthy people to consider if their zeal for public service extends to living in a dorm.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/10/us/deployed-inside-the-united-states-the-military-waits-for-the-migrant-caravan.html

quote:

But the 5,600 American troops who rushed to the brown, dry scrub along the southwest border are still going through the motions of an elaborate mission that appeared to be set into action by a commander in chief determined to get his supporters to the polls, and a Pentagon leadership unable to convince him of its perils.

quote:

Nearby, troops from Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington State were making sure a sick call tent was properly set up next to their aid station. And a few miles away, Staff Sgt. Juan Mendoza was directing traffic as his engineer support company from Fort Bragg, N.C., unloaded military vehicles.

Come Thanksgiving, they most likely will still be here.

Two thousand miles away, at the Pentagon, officials privately derided the deployment as an expensive waste of time and resources, and a morale killer to boot.

Leading up to the midterm vote on Tuesday, the military announced that the border mission would be called Operation Faithful Patriot. But Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Election Day told officials to drop the name, and the Pentagon sent out a terse news release a day later saying the operation was now simply to be known as border support. The term “faithful patriot,” officials said, had political overtones.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

What?! No tanks, no CAS, no fire support or tracked infantry?!

How are we supposed to hold back the brown ISIS raping caravan?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Florida recount is official!

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1061334247385022465

Everything gets machine counted again, then if a race stays within 0.25%, any undervotes/overvotes get hand-checked. Democrats are hoping that the machines are hosed up and not counting the votes in Broward right, Republicans are hoping that the ballot design is so hosed up that a bunch of Democrats didn't vote in the Senate race.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm pretty bummed with how fast "send the troops to machine gun the invasion of desperate civilians" went from my nightmares to a political position so completely mainstream that the president would conspire to fake it for an election bump

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1061345345685221376

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gently caress

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I don’t think a leftist future exists for the west in the near term. Left wing parties are generally just fighting to hold onto the rights and services they have gained in the last 100 years, without much attempt to expand them. I have seen little evidence that a revolution will rise from a relatively comfortable populace who is most like a frog being slowly boiled.

We are going to walk head first into climate change and be the ones who have the wealth to mitigate it somehow, combined with our comparatively advantageous latitude. We will face waves of refugees which will strengthen and embolden right wing nativists. Fascism is a much more likely future than any form of leftist thought.

Yup

Owns.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Apparently they're not even getting hot meals, so they have to eat MRE's. And there's a loving Whataburger across the street they can't eat at.

I feel bad for laughing but :laffo:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

About right.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Holy poo poo piss

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Bolow posted:

Apparently they're not even getting hot meals, so they have to eat MRE's. And there's a loving Whataburger across the street they can't eat at.

I never served, why would they be prevented from eating at the Whataburger? Are there rules preventing troops from eating at civilian restaurants while on active duty?

If so..then god drat. I wonder if big strong daddy Trump will visit ARE TROOPs along the border during Thanksgivi...ahaha he’ll play golf at Mar-a-largo instead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Holy poo poo piss

Let's get the entire poem done

https://twitter.com/antiplutocratic/status/1061354721632350208

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I never served, why would they be prevented from eating at the Whataburger? Are there rules preventing troops from eating at civilian restaurants while on active duty?

If so..then god drat. I wonder if big strong daddy Trump will visit ARE TROOPs along the border during Thanksgivi...ahaha he’ll play golf at Mar-a-largo instead.

There are no rules saying where you can and can't eat, unless they are on the banned list (places that are known for prostitution and sex trafficking, drugs, etc).

Some cock sucker with more rank decided it would be bad optics or a discipline problem to have them eating at a fast food outlet, so they'd rather have the troops making GBS threads constipated cinder blocks within a week and choke down those miserable MREs. Because, you know, actually organizing "real" food would be the basic level of responsible care for troops but fuuuuuuck that when we can just make their lives miserable instead.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Solaris 2.0 posted:

"Your only authorized rations are X. Because that is the guidance from Y"

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

OPORD don't say nothing about no Whataburger, hooah?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I just know we'll look back on this event in a future LPD, so they can point to the inevitable Officers or NCOs sneaking Whataburger to the junior Enlisted held hostage there as toxic leaders that don't take care of Soldiers.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

:drat:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I remember when I was Chem, we were locked down by our leadership after a training exercise at Fort Polk (not a JRTC rotation but just as dumb) and I passed by one of the other companies with like a few hundred hamburgers that my platoon sergeant and I bought for our company. They looked like any morale they may have had was shattered as we started handing them out to our guys. HCT was probably starving among them.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Bolow posted:

This is the worst poo poo about the Army, the petty little bullshit. "Hey, you're a 40 year old field grade officer with 4 deployments under your belt. You need written permission to go to Walmart, and by God don't you dare stop at the drive thru on the way back. BTW, any idea why recruiting and retention rates suck?"

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I remember when I was Chem, we were locked down by our leadership after a training exercise at Fort Polk (not a JRTC rotation but just as dumb) and I passed by one of the other companies with like a few hundred hamburgers that my platoon sergeant and I bought for our company. They looked like any morale they may have had was shattered as we started handing them out to our guys. HCT was probably starving among them.

IIRC I was awake for over 72 hours straight during that rotation so my dudes could sleep so if I saw or smelled the burgs I assure you that I thought it was a hallucination lol

edit: I'm still mad that I got pulled out of the last day of Blue Force Tracker school to attend that dumbass briefing in the theater

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 10, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SimonCat posted:

This is the worst poo poo about the Army, the petty little bullshit. "Hey, you're a 40 year old field grade officer with 4 deployments under your belt. You need written permission to go to Walmart, and by God don't you dare stop at the drive thru on the way back. BTW, any idea why recruiting and retention rates suck?"

I'm glad the navy treated us somewhat human then, because I was basically allowed comparatively free rein as long as I was where I was supposed to be when I was supposed to be there in the correct uniform.

It doesn't hold a candle to civ life but Army looks like a special slice of suck.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SimonCat posted:

We got in trouble during mobilization because we slipped off base on Veteran's day to buy a bunch of stuff from Walmart for a cookout for our Joes. Nothing ever came of it but lol army.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I love how the machine vote count has an automatic LOL NOPE function

https://twitter.com/stevebousquet/status/1061370660885315584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

facialimpediment posted:

I love how the machine vote count has an automatic LOL NOPE function

https://twitter.com/stevebousquet/status/1061370660885315584