Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where do people come up with cats are hateful and don't show love? I took a nap on the couch today and woke up with a cat laying on me sleeping with a big ol cat smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

Where do people come up with cats are hateful and don't show love? I took a nap on the couch today and woke up with a cat laying on me sleeping with a big ol cat smile

In my experience, it's people that treat cats like dogs and expect them to behave like dogs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

In my experience, it's people that treat cats like dogs and expect them to behave like dogs.

I mean it would be great if rear end in a top hat would come when I call and be the most excited to see me.

But he sits at the door and meets me with a glare when I get home, has a meltdown if he can see/hear us but can't get to us, and curls up with me for naps. He shows love in his own at arm's reach way.

Bean mostly just acknowledges out existence when the food dish is empty or she's decided that she wants pets but she was taken in from a co-worker who hated and ignored her so she's got some baggage

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, Sweetheart is the same way with us. My girlfriend always jokes that the cat loves me better, but without fail, she waits at the door to the garage every day my girlfriend is at work when it's near when she'll get home. It's adorable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, Sweetheart is the same way with us. My girlfriend always jokes that the cat loves me better, but without fail, she waits at the door to the garage every day my girlfriend is at work when it's near when she'll get home. It's adorable.

Domino absolutely has a favorite. When we first brought him in things were very slow at work and I only worked 3 days so we played and bonded. Plus he likes to play rough and she won't let him

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Dongattack posted:

HOW COME BIRB SO STUUP

I know I'm in the minority here but I think cats should stay inside or outside on leashes. Cats are usually the #1 killer of birds, sometimes to the point of extinction.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Anyone can plainly see this cat hates my guts.

I'm still working on Butters. She definitely likes attention and comes to the door when I get home and rolls around in a specific spot on the floor for pets. Her desire for pets conflicts with her very strong panicky skittishness and sometimes she'll bolt and hide in the middle of playtime.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

computer angel posted:

I know I'm in the minority here but I think cats should stay inside or outside on leashes. Cats are usually the #1 killer of birds, sometimes to the point of extinction.

You're not in the minority, actually, it's just usually either like telling smokers that smoking's bad or the choir doesn't need the sermon. Bird murdering, ground-based parasites, evil cat snatchers, doing dumb stuff that gets you trapped...

Found out upon the final xrays of an old family pet that he had a pellet right next to his sternum his whole life that we didn't know about. Probably from his stay days in his first year, we think he was abandoned. He was a good outdoor kitty and killed voles instead of birds, but he really didn't like belly rubs. Ee just thought it was catte being cat.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I got a new phone and my cats agreed to test out its cam

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

computer angel posted:

It's been said before, but you're not in the minority at all. They'd be fine in their natural environment, but we like them too much to not leave them there. And then after we take them to an alien continent, we get concerned that putting them in a harness or keeping them indoors or desexing them is 'too unnatural'. We are stupid apes.

Lucy found a possum on her walk last night. Twice. I probably didn't do the possum gene pool any favours by not letting Lucy cat it to death, because it was in the same bush with plenty of getaway time between encounters. I even tried shooing the possum away but it just sat there with my cat chittering a foot away, at equal elevation on a wheelie bin. The Disney lemming of marsupials didn't budge.

I had to directly hold Lu's harness and tug her until her attention shifted to (somewhat recovered) Gunk Cat, which was another drama onto itself. Either way, Lucy wanted blood. If she wasn't on the leash, she would have only found the possum once.

The bloodthirsty demon, in her unnatural habitat.

E: It's my bed. She's still in my loving bed. I've been couched by my own cat.

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 11, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What's the best way to take care of a cat who has bad dander?

My Salem (pictured in avatar) has been getting all sorts of gross skin flakes on his beautiful black coat. I think it's because we're running the heat more often, since, y'know, seasons.

Should I turn the humidity controls up a little bit on our HVAC? Can I get a lotion or something for him? He's not super itchy or anything as far as I can tell, but I think it would be good for him if he were cleaner.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
One of my cats is driving me crazy. She appears to not eat. But will happily chow down on snacks. I have given her different brands of food. all of them rejected, sometimes she takes a few small bites. She is drinking water. I'm waiting for her to use the litterbox to see if i can spot something weird. I am throwing away all the food i have tried to give her and i will try again in an few hours. She is very energetic though.
If i don't catch her eating all night. I'll schedule a vet visit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sefal posted:

One of my cats is driving me crazy. She appears to not eat. But will happily chow down on snacks. I have given her different brands of food. all of them rejected, sometimes she takes a few small bites. She is drinking water. I'm waiting for her to use the litterbox to see if i can spot something weird. I am throwing away all the food i have tried to give her and i will try again in an few hours. She is very energetic though.
If i don't catch her eating all night. I'll schedule a vet visit.

She is eating your snacks. She prefers your snacks to the regular food.

Your cat has trained you, Sefal.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Oh no

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
When my cats are hungry they start boxing and beating the poo poo out of each other. When I interrupt them they both stare at me like I’m the problem. :bang:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When Princess is hungry, or just feels like being a little jerk, she starts attacking and biting my hair.

Anyway, interesting developments over here. We wound up moving, with my mom heading over to the new place with Molly to get her used to it a few days before I went (the Internet wasn't connected yet and I had online assignments I needed to keep up on), with the cats staying with me. Apparently, on the first day, Molly had been put in the backyard for a little while, and when my mom went to check on her, this guy had showed up:

He was apparently just cuddling with Molly when she first saw him, as if they had known each other for ages, despite Molly having been there for maybe half an hour. They've been pretty close since, though he'll line her out if she gets too rough or annoying. Despite living outdoors, he took to going inside fairly quickly too, and wasn't afraid of people at all. He seems like he must have been someone else's cat at some point, though where he came from and how he got there (we're kind of out of the way, to say the least, and the last person to live here said she's never seen him before when showed a picture) we don't know.

When we moved myself and the cats over, my mom was hoping to give them a day or at least the afternoon to get used to the place, but they hadn't been there for too long before opening the back door led to the new cat rushing in. Their interactions were a bit rough at first, though they never really got beyond hissing and growling, initially just on Salem and Princess's parts since he seemed curious about them and whatnot. After a day or two he and Salem had pretty much become indifferent to each other, and they don't have any hostility or negativity towards each other now. Princess it took a little longer, since she was more fearful and thus hissed at and avoided him more, leading to him hissing at her a few times when she wasn't doing so at him or trying to be around him at all really; for a few days it seemed like the two were in a cycle where one would approach or walk past the other and get hissed at, then next time the other one expressed interest in or got near the first, the other would still be holding a grudge and hiss at them. They seem to have gotten past that now though, and I haven't seen either antagonize the other in a couple days at least.

He now just hangs out in the house like he's known everyone forever, eats with the other cats, sleeps in people's beds, and still hangs out with the puppy a lot too. It's strange, how easily he's getting along with everyone after showing up out of nowhere, but I'm not going to complain about a new cat's introductions having almost no troubles and everything being calm between all the animals after just a few days.

Now for some pics. First, new cat and Molly sleeping on my bed while I was lying down and using my computer a couple days ago:

Different angle, showing Salem sleeping near but not quite with them:

On my other side, Princess, sleeping like... I'm not really sure how to describe it:

I have no idea how that's comfortable, but that's how she was sleeping. Also visible, the fur that was shaved off when she got fixed growing back pretty well, though with how fluffy she is it'll take a while before it's not noticeable anymore.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

drat, thats a really chill cat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's cold season which means my fiancee is bringing home tissues for rear end in a top hat to hunt. Nothing quite like hearing the sound of a vicious fight between cat and tissue box and then seeing him triumphantly carrying a tissue to the living room to tear it up all over the place.

Fucker.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love the turf wars that happen for the space between our legs in bed, especially when the gf has no idea that anything is happening as she's sound asleep when there's an epic struggle for dominance that ends with one cat standing tall (sleeping comfortably). I ask her the next day "Hey did you have any idea that the cats were fighting for like 10 minutes for the space between your legs?" and she laughs and says "NOPE!"

As adorable as this habit is of them sleeping between our legs at night it's gotten.. significantly harder over time as they become less tiny. At 2 years old now Leela jams herself in there and it's, uh, sometimes kind of uncomfortable. Definitely woke up like this before.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 13, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Gotta learn the move where you pull one leg up and around and then slide them over so they're in your knee crook.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Thankfully only two of my three are bedtime cuddlers, they sleep between me and my wife. One prefers to be up by our head and the other prefers to be at our feet. It works out pretty well, especially since we upgraded to a king-sized bed.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Artichoke is either the little spoon on my girlfriends side of the bed or he sleeps between my legs. He also likes to lie on my chest and cuddle in the mornings but hates stepping on the blanket, so he just does these huge arcing jumps onto my chest. He is a fully grown tomcat so it is like getting hit with a football

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of my snuggly Salem, this was my view of our bedroom TV last night.

God cats are assholes. I love em.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

Thankfully only two of my three are bedtime cuddlers, they sleep between me and my wife. One prefers to be up by our head and the other prefers to be at our feet. It works out pretty well, especially since we upgraded to a king-sized bed.

Neither of mine are, sadly. The old, fat one is scared to death of the CPAP machine and the kitten tends to follow wherever he goes, regardless of his wishes on the matter.

I (my apartment staff) did finally get the water leaks/mold fixed and cleaned up, so the litter box has finally been moved out of my bedroom and back into the walk-in closet. The kitten poop is like fallout from a nuclear bomb and she tends to go at bedtime, it's a relief not having it right by the bed.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 14, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Neither of mine are, sadly. The old, fat one is scared to death of the CPAP machine and the kitten tends to follow wherever he goes, regardless of his wishes on the matter.

I (my apartment staff) did finally get the water leaks/mold fixed and cleaned up, so the litter box has finally been moved out of my bedroom and back into the walk-in closet. The kitten poop is like fallout from a nuclear bomb and she tends to go at bedtime, it's a relief not having it right by the bed.

Crowley (the one who sleeps at our feet) wasn't always quite cuddly. We've had him for a year and he's just now spending some time with us whenever we go to bed. So maybe your old fat one isn't as affectionate, but give the kitten some time! You never know.

I feel you about the stinky poop though. When Binx was on the Tramadol and I was giving him wet food, he'd come lay a big poop in the litterbox in my home office. While I'm working. I had to work on the couch for an hour with the window open to air out.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

Crowley (the one who sleeps at our feet) wasn't always quite cuddly. We've had him for a year and he's just now spending some time with us whenever we go to bed. So maybe your old fat one isn't as affectionate, but give the kitten some time! You never know.

I feel you about the stinky poop though. When Binx was on the Tramadol and I was giving him wet food, he'd come lay a big poop in the litterbox in my home office. While I'm working. I had to work on the couch for an hour with the window open to air out.

I wish. Fatto used to snuggle in the crook of my arm almost every night, now I have to carry him to the bed and ye bolts as soon as the machine turns on, he is not a fan of rushing air.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
One of my cats is super affectionate .

She curls up in my arm. Then constantly bumps her head against my armpit, she stays there for a little while, until she goes op on my chest and she lies down and slowly makes her way under my chin. Then rubs her nose against mine and bites my nose gently.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hi goons. Quick questions.

I recently (yesterday) adopted 2 kittens. They are from different litters, but the same household, so I'm hopeful they will appreciate the company while I'm out during the day. One is about a month older than the other, but otherwise they're very similar.

I am lucky to have access to a low cost spay and neuter clinic, but I need to know how old they should be before I make an appointment for the procedures. The clinic is by appointment only, so I gotta know ahead of time when they're ready to go.

Also, any suggestions on what's best as far as pet foods? I bought some (pretty expensive) grain free kitten food, but I want to make sure I'm giving them what they need without unnecessarily breaking the bank.

I grew up with multiple cats and dogs (and parrots, and a ferret, and a rat, and 2 siblings), so I'm used to pets, but I realized that I was never the one actually BUYING the food, or making the vet appointments, so I didn't actually pick up the details on those things :v:

Pic very much related:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
They can be spayed at 6 months old.
At least that's when i'm going to spay mine.
most brand foods are fine. As long as they eat and drink. My vet recommended hills food and that's what i'm giving them

Edit: That's a very cute kitten!

Edit2: also you want to make an appointment with your vet to do a general checkup and get them vaccinated, dewormed. Your vet will explain more probably.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 14, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Annath posted:

Hi goons. Quick questions.

I recently (yesterday) adopted 2 kittens. They are from different litters, but the same household, so I'm hopeful they will appreciate the company while I'm out during the day. One is about a month older than the other, but otherwise they're very similar.

I am lucky to have access to a low cost spay and neuter clinic, but I need to know how old they should be before I make an appointment for the procedures. The clinic is by appointment only, so I gotta know ahead of time when they're ready to go.

Also, any suggestions on what's best as far as pet foods? I bought some (pretty expensive) grain free kitten food, but I want to make sure I'm giving them what they need without unnecessarily breaking the bank.

I grew up with multiple cats and dogs (and parrots, and a ferret, and a rat, and 2 siblings), so I'm used to pets, but I realized that I was never the one actually BUYING the food, or making the vet appointments, so I didn't actually pick up the details on those things :v:

Pic very much related:

Any cat food that is nutritionally complete will be fine. Even 9-Lives and Friskies and no-name store brands. It's all regulated by the FDA to have proper nutrition.

Cheaper foods do have more fillers, so your cat will make more poop. That's about it.

Some cats do have problems with specific ingredients or formulations, so my recommendation is to buy the cheapest food your cats like and tolerate well. Beyond that it literally makes no difference.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
^^^Thanks for the info! I'll finish off the bag I bought, then get something a little cheaper. Not dirt cheap tho. Had no idea it was FDA regulated though, that's good to know.

Sefal posted:

most brand foods are fine. As long as they eat and drink. My vet recommended hills food and that's what i'm giving them

Edit: That's a very cute kitten!

Edit2: also you want to make an appointment with your vet to do a general checkup and get them vaccinated, dewormed. Your vet will explain more probably.

The spay/neuter clinic offers Rabies, Distemper, Feline Leukemia vaccines, as well as dewormer, ear notching, and microshipping. I'll still take them to the vet for an initial look over though.

Oh, and her name is Nyx. Her brother, who is very similar looking, is as yet unnamed, but I'm leaning towards Noctis, although the Final Fantasy association is off-putting.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Sefal posted:

Our rescue requires kittens be 8 weeks old and at-least two pounds in weight before the kitten can be fixed.

Call up your vet/clinic and ask. They'll let you know what they require.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Deteriorata posted:

Any cat food that is nutritionally complete will be fine. Even 9-Lives and Friskies and no-name store brands. It's all regulated by the FDA to have proper nutrition.

Cheaper foods do have more fillers, so your cat will make more poop. That's about it.

Some cats do have problems with specific ingredients or formulations, so my recommendation is to buy the cheapest food your cats like and tolerate well. Beyond that it literally makes no difference.

That seems hard to believe. I'm sure there are the nutritional basics the FDA requires, but there must be differences with different diets. We can see differences in human diets beyond the nutrition pyramid. I'm not saying you are poisoning your cats if you don't feed raw or anything, but 'literally makes no difference' must be stretching the truth.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

taqueso posted:

That seems hard to believe. I'm sure there are the nutritional basics the FDA requires, but there must be differences with different diets. We can see differences in human diets beyond the nutrition pyramid. I'm not saying you are poisoning your cats if you don't feed raw or anything, but 'literally makes no difference' must be stretching the truth.

The thing to remember is that cats don't buy cat food, humans do. Marketers work really hard to convince you that more money = better despite there being no objective evidence to support it.

If your cat is healthy, its diet is fine. Some cats do indeed require specific diets, though, so monitoring your cat and how it tolerates various formulas is the key. Spend as much as you need to, or even as much as you want to, so long as your cat is happy with it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
For what its worth, I used to be one of those "higher cost = better product" type of people. In general, that's true, in that you probably don't want to be buying the bottom barrel tier of product of any type, including food, but you probably also don't need to buy Blue Wilderness Organic GMO-free Free Range Special Diet cat food for your cat.

I did feed my cats Blue for a while and now they are eating Purina One and they are not any less healthy or any fatter. At least, in no vet visits did the vet ever show concern over the weight of any of my cats, and they've all been said to have great pearly whites.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

My cats will only eat Fancy Feast.

Literally. They ignore anything else.

They both have amazingly glossy soft coats and seem to be in good health though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly is on expensive prescription hypo-allergenic limited ingredient food because everything else flares up her kitty IBS and gives her doom farts.

Middle of the road is a good target, though its worth researching which brands have history of recalls. At the end of the day, whatever your cat eats and does well on is fine.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah the vet said spay at 6 months. Thought it was universal.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sefal posted:

Yeah the vet said spay at 6 months. Thought it was universal.

It isn't in my area - they tend to do it much younger. A cat can go into heat as early as 5-6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah I've heard 2-3 be more normal, but people did it even earlier sometimes. It can affect their early hormones though. Read an interesting article about face shape changes that I can't find now.

The FDA monitors minimum nutrition requirements, so you'll be fine with whatever, but cats don't naturally get grains and foods with a lot of those tend to be unusually calorically dense, so I try to favor the ones where they're at least not in the first couple ingredients but ymmv. I go with purina beyond dry alongside Newman's own wet, which I would switch off of but now it's all she'll eat.