Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

gently caress youuuu, I'm a Volvo, gently caress youuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
To me, the most impressive part is that the driver just drove over the pole like it ain't no thang

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

Dude got lucky to not get clocked or clotheslined by the ramp, but what's with the running away backwards?

Walk out the pain playa.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nmfree posted:

To me, the most impressive part is that the driver just drove over the pole like it ain't no thang

What is that pole just doing out in the middle of nowhere anyway? I see another pole at the entry but I have no idea what they were for. Phone, maybe?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There you go, it was 1973, stop bringing them up :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That Volvo driver knew the rule - "Never Lift"

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What is that pole just doing out in the middle of nowhere anyway? I see another pole at the entry but I have no idea what they were for. Phone, maybe?

Looks more like a rotted out old tree trunk to me

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I hit a deer in my 82 240 doing around 50 and the worst thing that happened was the headlight blew out. They really are brick shithouses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

There you go, it was 1973, stop bringing them up :colbert:

I adore the design of this car but holy hell are they expensive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I adore the design of this car but holy hell are they expensive.

Yeah, but don't you want to know why 21 major manufacturers are trying to build rotary engines of their own?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want a 240 turbo wagon so bad. :negative:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

I want a 240 turbo wagon so bad. :negative:

You think you've got problems, this has been torturing me for 2 loving months

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1981-amc-eagle/1385305553?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^ I unironically love this and I'm happy that the ad isn't on the same continent because I'd buy it in a heartbeat. So. drat. Cool. The only drawback is the 4 cylinder.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Old phone pole. There are a few more along the road later in the clip. No wires though.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Old phone pole. There are a few more along the road later in the clip. No wires though.

There are wires on the poles later in the clip.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

The only drawback is the 4 cylinder.
:ssh: Its the same 258ci 6-cylinder found in Jeeps of the era.

From what I've read, the draw-back happens to be the rats-nest of vacuum lines involved in the carb setup, but 4.0L HO head, and subsequent FI setup, will swap on with little difficulty so there is nothing to be afraid of just embrace the wagon

stone soup fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 9, 2018

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Wally Joyner posted:

From what I've read, the draw-back happens to be the rats-nest of vacuum lines involved in the carb setup, but 4.0L HO head, and subsequent FI setup, will swap on with little difficulty so there is nothing to be afraid of just embrace the wagon

Say it with me: "Turbo Eagle". Doesn't that give you just a great big 'murica boner?

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/horsepower-turbo-4-0-amc-jeep/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

loving hell that looks good with chubby tires extending outside the body.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Here's a mild hopup on one with nitrous (don't get too excited, it can only do so much), courtesy of Roadkill's Mike Finnegan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnoRu50s9M
part 2
part 3
part 4

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Group 2 GTV

GTV8:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

There are wires on the poles later in the clip.

Guess I'm blind.

Wally Joyner posted:

Why did you have to tell me that. :( Now I want one even more.

DoLittle posted:

Group 2 GTV

GTV8:

Why must you tempt me. :(

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why did you have to tell me that. :( Now I want one even more.

If it helps, the rest of the car is basic malaise-era 80's bullshit car. The redeeming features of a 4wd lifted wagon with an I6 don't quite overcome that for me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wally Joyner posted:

The 258 is the 4.0's father, making the 4.0 an essentially AMC design :eng101: No top end power but a whole lot of grunty torque and a powerplant you can smash the gently caress out of and it will come back asking for more. The one I had was a rusty, neglected 85. I had to wrench the differential over myself from underneath the car and just drove it in 4 wheel mode the whole time. Even with lovely tires that thing smashed Madison winters like nobody's business. I did have to run some guitar wire through the carburetor venturi but it ran great after that!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Powershift posted:

There really are easier ways to close a tailgate.

lol

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone want a baller coffee table stand cheap? https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...8pR0SMrkQax1rM4

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone want a baller coffee table stand cheap? https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...8pR0SMrkQax1rM4

oof that's cheap enough to start looking at hubs to fit them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The 11's are cheaper than the 9's, I'll get those!

Checks the price of tyres...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oof that's cheap enough to start looking at hubs to fit them.

lol not nearly cheap enough

would make a cool hose reel tho

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

That's the most Volvo thing I've ever seen

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

lol not nearly cheap enough

would make a cool hose reel tho

Yeah, perfect for an air compressor hose in the garage

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I had to pause it and go frame-by-frame because at first blush it looked like the Volvo just drove straight through the pole without a single mark on its bumper. Turns out it sideswiped the pole, and you can't see the damage. Still awesome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Imagine how much cooler this car would be if it drove left in this image, blunt end first.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

I had to pause it and go frame-by-frame because at first blush it looked like the Volvo just drove straight through the pole without a single mark on its bumper. Turns out it sideswiped the pole, and you can't see the damage. Still awesome.
You can see a dent on the front right fender.

Also stop posting my Dirt Rally streams.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Imagine how much cooler this car would be if it drove left in this image, blunt end first.

:aaaaa:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

Did you happen to design Italian aerodynamics in the 60s and 70s? Because there's a couple of cool as all hell looking cars from that period that either lift one end or the other at speed.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Memento posted:

Damage modeling was turned off.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

boxen posted:

If it helps, the rest of the car is basic malaise-era 80's bullshit car. The redeeming features of a 4wd lifted wagon with an I6 don't quite overcome that for me.

Also an AMC V8 should drop right in, and there are kits to put a SBC in the Jeeps it's based on.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Also an AMC V8 should drop right in

It's not quite that simple (the front diff is bolted to the engine), but it has been done.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Every single loving one of these is 100% my poo poo

https://imgur.com/gallery/eNKPWZm

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Every single loving one of these is 100% my poo poo

https://imgur.com/gallery/eNKPWZm

:sbahj:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The IHCs are so IHC. "Making a new cabover cab would cost money so here's a 1200A cab with a glass firewall on top of some leftover tractor fenders, enjoy"