Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

They actually mention Ramzan Kadyrov by name.

If you're going to put something in your RPG about how Kadyrov is trying to distract from his awful administration of Chechnya, make it a vampire-run MMA league. Kadyrov loving loves that poo poo

That's not nearly nuclear enough for nuWW and far too fun-sounding to focus on. Like how that playtest set in Berlin talked about an inexplicable pack of near-nude Spartans partying in a nightclub for a bit but preferred to rub its hands eagerly at child soldiers, crazed drug-addicts, and pedophile-coded vampire PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What is it with reVamp and pedophiles lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wrestlepig posted:

What is it with reVamp and pedophiles lmao

You paid for the whole book but only need the edge.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There’s just so many pedophiles

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Desiden posted:

Given the current thread title, this seems appropriate:

Good to know nuWW is taking such a respectful and nuanced approach to real world tragedy with their edition of vampire: the masquerade.

Saw this on twitter and it boiled my blood (which reminded me why I try to stay off twitter). "That's not the point. I mean, yeah queer people are getting murdered, and yeah they do hate them so much that they'll punish it even when no one's watching--"

Between that and the phrasing "homosexuals" they're not even keeping up a pretense here. That very much is the point, assholes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Wrestlepig posted:

There’s just so many pedophiles

When you're dealing with a fictional monster that's tied so overtly to sex, sexuality, and sexual assault, it's kind of inevitable that some painfully uncreative idiot will try to get as close to crossing this line as they can while smirking. Unfortunately this time, at least a few of these people are heading the development of the new-old WoD.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Saw this on twitter and it boiled my blood (which reminded me why I try to stay off twitter). "That's not the point. I mean, yeah queer people are getting murdered, and yeah they do hate them so much that they'll punish it even when no one's watching--"

Between that and the phrasing "homosexuals" they're not even keeping up a pretense here. That very much is the point, assholes.

also apparently vampires hate gay people now? like what?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Elfgames posted:

also apparently vampires hate gay people now? like what?

Aren't vampires the gayest of all supernatural monsters?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Not only that - but I was pretty sure that the Embrace of Vampire: The Masquerade was at least half a coming out metaphor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Remember when a bunch of MtG players got angry about a sexy vampire man on one of their cards.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ratoslov posted:

That can't be true because I'm the gayest of all supernatural monsters.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Rosalind posted:

That can't be true because I'm the gayest of all supernatural monsters.

That's exactly what Gay Dracula would say.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ratoslov posted:

Tough competition!

For real. The vampire as we know it was basically standardized by Bram Stoker, and in Dracula he was an incarnation of the fear of foreign sexuality, so there's a good case for it. But monsters in general tend up end up as queer metaphors, whether the person creating them intends or not, because that's what you get when you write something designed to be hated and shunned by society. (See also: "have you tried not being a mutant.")

In particular, it's all but nonexistent to see a nonbinary character who isn't also a weird demon or alien or whatever, because people think genderlessness is a sign of inhumanity. MTG is great for this; its semi-prominent nonbinary characters are two, completely unrelated, smoky-headed magical humanoids.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do you remember when Marvel made mutant AIDS and said there'd be no cure for mutant AIDS until there was a cure for real AIDS and then it turned out real AIDS is really hard to cure so they walked that back super hard.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Also don't forget Ye Olde Classic Gay Vampyre that is been repeatedly invoked for VTM et al: Carmilla.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

Do you remember when Marvel made mutant AIDS and said there'd be no cure for mutant AIDS until there was a cure for real AIDS and then it turned out real AIDS is really hard to cure so they walked that back super hard.

Legacy virus.

Should have just been real AIDS.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Legacy virus.

Should have just been real AIDS.

Oh please; everyone knows mutants can't get AIDS.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh please; everyone knows mutants can't get AIDS.

Wasn't that actually a plot point at one time, that mutants were immune to AIDS due to superior genetics or some BS?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
D&D Character With -3 Charisma Keeps Trying To loving Roll Deception

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Wasn't that actually a plot point at one time, that mutants were immune to AIDS due to superior genetics or some BS?
Yup. That was pretty much an exact quote by Angel just mentioned in passing during Austen's run.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cape comics everyone

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Plutonis posted:

Cape comics everyone

Kittypridesayingthenword.jpeg

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Tough competition!

For real. The vampire as we know it was basically standardized by Bram Stoker, and in Dracula he was an incarnation of the fear of foreign sexuality, so there's a good case for it. But monsters in general tend up end up as queer metaphors, whether the person creating them intends or not, because that's what you get when you write something designed to be hated and shunned by society. (See also: "have you tried not being a mutant.")

In particular, it's all but nonexistent to see a nonbinary character who isn't also a weird demon or alien or whatever, because people think genderlessness is a sign of inhumanity. MTG is great for this; its semi-prominent nonbinary characters are two, completely unrelated, smoky-headed magical humanoids.

WoD has played a lot with queer coding and LGBTQ culture in their various splats, especially in nWoD/CoD's books, too. You can read the splats as metaphors for other minorities or outcast groups, too..... except for Beast which is all "Look at these monsters that feed on physical and emotional abuse! But they can't help that, they're just Born This Way, like the gays, amirite?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nuns with Guns posted:

WoD has played a lot with queer coding and LGBTQ culture in their various splats, especially in nWoD/CoD's books, too. You can read the splats as metaphors for other minorities or outcast groups, too..... except for Beast which is all "Look at these monsters that feed on physical and emotional abuse! But they can't help that, they're just Born This Way, like the gays, amirite?"

IIRC the main writer of Beast was a literal rapist.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Matthew McFarland? Yeah, and of a minor at that, if memory serves.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, they say write what you know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi everyone!

TG secret santa 2018 is up. Please come and join in, if you like!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874029

Because I was a bit late getting the thread up, there's only one week to sign up for the main round, so don't procrastinate.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes, it was unrelated to Beast, and came to light after Beast was already done and (I think) most of the strech goal supplements were out. Someone came forward on RPGnet about it, because Matthew McFarlaind was still a mod there at the time. There were a couple days of relative silence from the rest of the mod staff while they mulled it over privately/came here and whined about how mean we were being, and at least one of them talked about how it was years ago and the Matt they knew nowadays wouldn't do that so it's a weighty choice they have to make. Then they demodded and banned him.

And before anyone Kramers over to reply to this: I'm not implying that we're somehow morally superior on this forum, either, when like half of the times when a mod is booted for equal or lesser offenses, basically the same uncomfortable quiet dithering happens before the other shoe drops. Forums aren't great for addressing real-world crimes or general even general dickery done by people who post on them, I guess.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just got back from my brother's wedding. I thought the reading would be at the altar. I thought to he only gave me it to practice. That was a little embarrassing. But apparently my brother like that because it took the tension away. I'm drunk as a skunk right now. How is everyone else doing? I had like entire glass of rum on rocks and then like four rum and cokes.

You know my brother-in-law said that of course I was drinking rum because I was Puerto Rican? What a jerk lol!

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 10, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes, it was unrelated to Beast, and came to light after Beast was already done and (I think) most of the strech goal supplements were out. Someone came forward on RPGnet about it, because Matthew McFarlaind was still a mod there at the time. There were a couple days of relative silence from the rest of the mod staff while they mulled it over privately/came here and whined about how mean we were being, and at least one of them talked about how it was years ago and the Matt they knew nowadays wouldn't do that so it's a weighty choice they have to make. Then they demodded and banned him.

And before anyone Kramers over to reply to this: I'm not implying that we're somehow morally superior on this forum, either, when like half of the times when a mod is booted for equal or lesser offenses, basically the same uncomfortable quiet dithering happens before the other shoe drops. Forums aren't great for addressing real-world crimes or general even general dickery done by people who post on them, I guess.

Bedlamdan isn't coming here for three weeks at least.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not even sure what there is to complain about, other than "they looked into it and thought about what to do for a couple of days instead of instantly hitting the ban button."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not even sure what there is to complain about, other than "they looked into it and thought about what to do for a couple of days instead of instantly hitting the ban button."

Honestly, the worst bit was when you were trying to jump in front of all the bullets, but them posting here defensively when it would've been better to just stay quiet on all fronts until the ban hit wasn't great.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I like Shadowrun's setting :smith:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Good luck Alice

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reene posted:

I like Shadowrun's setting :smith:
System/Setting Combo. Shadowrun's setting and Shadowrun's system don't mesh well :thejoke:

See also every edition of D&D

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As much as I like Shadowrun, nobody should use the rules in 4th or 5th edition for anything. The setting is okay, if a little self-contradictory at times, but the system is just terrible. See why the HBS people didn't even try to use it for their PC games.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

As much as I like Shadowrun, nobody should use the rules in 4th or 5th edition for anything. The setting is okay, if a little self-contradictory at times, but the system is just terrible. See why the HBS people didn't even try to use it for their PC games.

3rd is also really bad, tbh. I've never seen anything before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Let’s approach this from a different angle.

Is there a good version of Shadowrun?