Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Toalpaz posted:

Oh it's storing pixel arrangements? Is that it? Cool.

yup, it's the logo and font :ms:

you can try it out yourself, even. Here's a simple bitmap I made and the output in notepad (note: imgur converted it to png so if you try it on this image it won't work anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
basic thoughts on sans undertale and his pals:

maybe skeletons aren't really either monsters or humans, but both. because they're human skeletons. they could've been monsters trying to turn into humans. or maybe the other way around.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I actually got the same impressions as you.

Susie having a crush on Ralsei would be hilarious, and also very sad if my theory about him not being real comes to pass.

Ralsei is fake but that won't stop him having dinner with Kris's mom and brother that gets awkward when he takes off his hat. Are you like a cousin or something we forgot about ?!?!?

Theory: the red heart soul thing we control in the birdcage will sacrifice itself to make Ralsei real.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Ralsei is fake but that won't stop him having dinner with Kris's mom and brother that gets awkward when he takes off his hat. Are you like a cousin or something we forgot about ?!?!?

Theory: the red heart soul thing we control in the birdcage will sacrifice itself to make Ralsei real.

That was kind of the same thing people bullshitted as a way to try and save Asriel. Toby talked about his worry about meeting people's expectations after Undertale, but I suspect a lot of people are probably on edge about whatever twist is coming just because Undertale had such an obvious hole in its ending that was almost pointedly left unpatched.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh, and for someone who was asking what the timestamp-manipulating code was for on the deltarune site... I think it's a hash. The download link has both your timestamp in it and the hash of your timestamp, so it must be comparing the two in order to fetch your file. I think it's there to prevent people from sharing the download link. It makes everyone go to the site personally to download the file.

It could also possibly be a way of implementing multiple versions without letting anyone control what version they got. Can't manipulate the download link that way. Like a Fun value... but we have no indication there are things like that in the demo. I guess someone could test it by gathering a bunch of installer files from people and comparing their size and hashes?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it has begun :negative:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah I saw the first one. I was surprised that it had such an overwhelming mix of upvotes to downvotes given its essential argument was that Toby Fox is doing the opposite of Undertale and is making a super cynical story that will end up with a horrible ending just to surprise people and make them feel bad.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

McFrugal posted:

So uh if you open up the exe file in notepad it looks a bit weird near the bottom. Then if you set the font size to 1...

https://average-egg.tumblr.com/post/179938581066/if-you-open-up-deltarune-in-notepad-and-scroll-to

It looks a bit off in my version of notepad, I guess the font is slightly different. I wish I could get it to work in notepad++ since that's WAY faster but you can't hide special characters in that program and on top of that it won't zoom out far enough.

Congrats, you just discovered that computer files contain data!

(Seriously, this is just an effect of some assets, like the font, in deltarune not being compressed. That deltarune picture at the bottom? That's just the game's icon data.)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I looked through the script again and...

There's one message for giving exp?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm guessing the ~ indicates that the string should output the value of a variable. Which is interesting because it does suggest the code exists to theoretically give more than 0 exp.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Yeah, ~1, ~2 (and so on) are just markers in the script that get replaced when they're used.

That particular one is used at the end of every battle.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
wait also.

we didn't actually see Papyrus himself show up or even say anything.

because

if this is the true hell timeline

then in this world, Papyrus actually is that original concept incel fedora version

please don't do this toby fox but then please also actually do this and leave everyone horrified at how horribly wrong everything has gone

Actually this could be executed pretty well, if my absolutely ridiculous silly theory of this somehow being actually a prequel is right. and we get to see Papyrus go from just this absolute rear end to the guy we all know and love. i. might have to play through the game again just to tabulate why I got a gut feeling this was actually happening before Undertale, especially with it supposedly being very literally the first idea Toby had, before he went with the story of Undertale instead. it's not like he's averse to playing with weird ideas like that, and it actually being relevant to the plot that this was 'concept art'

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 10, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajJ0CCLOvPw

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the "OPE" gets me every time

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Your Computer posted:

What? This conflicts with my theory that gaster and chara are doing a good cop bad cop routine on the universe until they finally get the evidence they need to shut down sans' illegal hot dog stand.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SirSamVimes posted:

Asriel is a D.va main?

Ah, so that's why the universe constantly shits on Asriel.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Do you think Toby Fox lives in fear of what he hath wrought on online communities

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Do you think Toby Fox lives in fear of what he hath wrought on online communities

scott cawthorn and hussie himself still have him beat

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Top Hats Monthly posted:

He's a guy that worked on homestruck, the undertale fandom is nothing compared to that

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
*looks at file properties for SURVEY_PROGRAM*
File version: 0.6.6.6

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Delta rune doesn't seem to work with my Switch pro controller and I think I've hit my limit with how far I can go in the Jevil fight with a keyboard (I can get to the bit where he gets tired and starts freaking out). Annoying the hell out of me.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Jevil, like Sans just takes practice even with a keyboard. And when you finally win it’s so satisfying.

To be honest Undyne is more infuriating... I don’t know why she’s so drat hard

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Frankston posted:

Delta rune doesn't seem to work with my Switch pro controller and I think I've hit my limit with how far I can go in the Jevil fight with a keyboard (I can get to the bit where he gets tired and starts freaking out). Annoying the hell out of me.

Tips:
Use healing items instead of healing magic. This gives you more TP to spend on Hypnosis, which is definitely worth it.
The pirouette ACT has predictable results depending on what round you use it on. This means you can try to avoid using it on the turn where it would scramble your HP, or do it on purpose to try to give Ralsei more hp to ensure he survives to Pacify the boss.
For the deathsknife attack you want to try to follow the direction the scythes are rotating so you don't get caught by the rebound. Before I figured this out, that attack was doing the most damage out of anything he did.
His final chaos won't kill your party, only bring you down to single digit hp.

Play windowed. Fullscreen makes everything go faster than intended.

The fight is very momentum-based. If you're doing well and don't need to heal then you can defend or use hypnosis more which means you need to heal less if you do get hit. If you're doing badly you need to heal more which means less TP from defend and you don't get the reduced damage which means you take more damage... It sounds like you're almost there.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This guy makes it look easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUGGqr0h0-c

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Your Computer posted:

I HATE this.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
On the Jevil spade attacks why does everyone spin around it in the videos I’ve seen? If you stay still between the attacks it will pass right by no fuss no muss. The placement of the friendliness pellets does shift but if you just stay between it the other ones that swing out the other side don’t hit you.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Luceid posted:

I HATE this.

Discovering the magic of the three little dots so I never ever ever EVER have to see that idiot cockshit vomit again was life changing. Never gotta suffer another fool or nazi platforming on the tube.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTzzet5RQG4

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doesn't include SAVE the World, 0/10 :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Your Computer posted:

On the one hand, I feel weird criticizing someone for making fan theories since I quite like making them myself. I enjoy trying to guess where the plot of a show/game is going to go, or trying to interpret the theme of a work. I like hearing other people's guesses and interpretations too!

On the other hand, I watched that "choice is dead" video and it's kind of a terrible theory based on a very shallow interpretation of the game. I take particular umbrage with the whole "Deltarune has no theme" statement, because just from the little bit we've played there were very clear themes of isolation, separation, and both the difficulty and importance of forming and maintaining connections with others.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I kind of love how aggressively stupid the SECRET WAR one is

WILL CHARA BEAT GASTER?! *gives Chara an evil angry mouth*

It's like they knew their theory had to stand out somehow so they went for something nobody would possibly think of while playing the game and still ended up with a Chara/gaster video

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
These videos suck rear end and I'm melting down about it. gently caress. gently caress!!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I love this.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmE3XpvOKTg

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I love the art of clickbaity thumbnails and titles. I'm fascinated by it.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

On the one hand, I feel weird criticizing someone for making fan theories since I quite like making them myself. I enjoy trying to guess where the plot of a show/game is going to go, or trying to interpret the theme of a work. I like hearing other people's guesses and interpretations too!

On the other hand, I watched that "choice is dead" video and it's kind of a terrible theory based on a very shallow interpretation of the game. I take particular umbrage with the whole "Deltarune has no theme" statement, because just from the little bit we've played there were very clear themes of isolation, separation, and both the difficulty and importance of forming and maintaining connections with others.

The other one is just as bad, if anyone was wondering. I was kind of hoping it'd touch on the more Chara-y tone at the end of the character creation, since there's been some discussion of if it's the original narrator who throws your character away, but instead it basically summed up to like... "being denied any choice in the game and Kris being denied control of their body is a good thing, actually, because that way you and they can't go on the No Mercy route", with some added sixteen-layers-of-fanon stuff about Chara apparently just now destroying some long offscreen series of timelines with Gaster trying to stop them or something.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the game endlessly rubbing in the futility of choice (and the subtle hints that Kris is being suppressed by your presence) and go "Oh, that must be a good thing, then! Who needs choice, anyways?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Your Computer posted:

alright guys I figured it out

there's the light world and the dark world right? well light and dark are opposites so it stands to reason that there's a light and a dark version of everything. in undertale it was really dark so that must be the dark world but in deltarune (ANAGRAM of undertale) in the light world everything is light. that means undertale is the dark world and deltarune is the light world. see 10000s of years ago there was a big war that put monsters underground but it was actually a war between lightners and darkners and asgore (DARK UNDERTALE VERSION) lied and said it was humans so the monsters would be ok with him killing humans for their souls of ultimate power (so he could become a god and kill all lightners). would a good king really kill some kids? NO. anyway then the light world which is ruled by an angel who knew the darkers were gonna break the barrier so they sent their strongest warrior (sans) to stop it. sans is actually half darkner half lightner which is why he can go between the worlds so he takes asriel from the light world (says he "went off to college") and makes him a flower so he can destroy the dark world. but then chara (the DEMON who is the opposite of the angel) made asriels time powers stop when he showed up and then stole his memories so he would help him to break the barrer. now the barrier broke so there is gonna be a war between light and dark soon. ralsei is the REAL asriel from the dark world and I think he is a spy and kris got taken over by chara so I think it will just be susie who has to fight all the darkers (until she can rescue kris). who is gaster you ask? well i believe gaster is the angle who knows there is a big war coming but he is trapped as a ghost because chara took over sans and shot him with a gaster blaster. now that hes a ghost you can only see him in the games code. i believe toby fox has already made all of the game but we need to find the clues of gaster hidden in the code. awhile back i was cosplaying chara but i stabbed my brother with a real knife and he had to go to the hospital. heres how i know sans is NOT gay (1/7)