Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

supergayboy posted:

Here's a random FF8 question: was Irvine supposed to be a SeeD or is he just some guy? I'm not sure if they ever explain what his deal really is.

Like with many other lore concepts in FF8's world, the game never bothers to explore the implications of Galbadia Garden operating within Galbadian territory yet being semi-autonomous and ostensibly loyal to Balamb/The Garden system.

Full-fledged SeeDs and the SeeD field exam are exclusive to Balamb Garden, though students can complete the written portion at the other Gardens before transferring to Balamb for the field exam (i.e. Selphie). Presumably Irvine could become a SeeD if he completed his course work, and through the game's plot he effectively becomes a SeeD in practice if not on paper (he specifically mentions not being one during the Orphanage flashback).

I've always inferred that Balamb Garden and the Galbadian Military have an ongoing tug-of-war over who gets G-Garden's best and brightest, or G-Garden tries to tread a fine line of sharing the cream of its crop equally (or at least letting one side think that while the other really gets it). It also seems reasonable to infer that Irvine is included in this cream of the crop [deservedly or not], since he and Martine talk himself up as such, he's Too Cool For The Uniform like all the other playable characters, and he's entrusted with to be the lynch pin of a very important operation. But who knows, really.

Mister Perky fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Honestly I'd take Balamb's uniform or the SeeD outfit over Zell's normal clothes. Should be an option to play in them all game.

Or to dress up like a Meido as the much better game SMTIV Apocalypse let me do.

I'm actually currently starting up FFVIII again because there's a new mod on the block and it's actually pretty reasonable and good so far. Granted I've only gotten to after Dollet but he hasn't nerfed physical damage into oblivion, Card Mod is not required (and yields much less returns ie. no third level spells right away) and, most important to me, characters have clearly differentiated stats.As I've gotten older I really got tired of FFVII's and VIII's "everyone is the same" gameplay. Maybe it's fun the first time through but upon replays, ehhh.

He also gives you a handful of nifty spells like Double right off the bat. I like when mods do that. An FFVII mod I played gave you Cover and Counterattack right away too. Just a nice way to break up the early game tedium for repeat players by helping them through the "you are a level 1 scrub" phase of a RPG.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 10, 2018

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's amazing how much poo poo FFVIII fans make up in their heads to cover that disaster of a story.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The FFVIII story is just an experience you have to let happen. Trying to make sense of it will only lead to ruin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFVIII has the best story in the franchise if you rate stories solely on how well they capture the un-logic of dreams

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

It's amazing how much poo poo FFVIII fans make up in their heads to cover that disaster of a story.

It's amazing how much poo poo FFVIII detractors make up in their heads to cover their inability to read.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I'd remember ff8 a lot more fondly if the gameplay wasn't broken as gently caress. There were a lot of cool set pieces and the story was at least the interesting kind of batshit crazy.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Plus it had triple triad.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's amazing how much poo poo FFVIII detractors make up in their heads to cover their inability to read.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Like how Irvine not wanting to shoot Edea because she's like his mom is never mentioned ever while he outright says that he always chokes before he takes a shot.

And that's literally the end of his character. There's nothing more there. I have always maintained Irvine is the worst FF character ever because there's just nothing to him besides a pervert who failed the one thing he was in the plot to do and then tried to leave you to die in prison.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

well, he very obviously remembers her, cause he says so later... the weirdest thing to me is that knowing that he goes through with it and almost headshots her

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well, let's see.

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean his aim was perfect, he just gets nervous when he realises he has to shoot the orphanage matron

FFVIII Script posted:

Irvine: "I...I can't...I'm sorry, I can't do it. I always choke like this... I
try to act all cool, joke around, but I just can't handle the
pressure..."

Hmm, chronic braggart and show-off Irvine makes up a story about how much he sucks and is a constant failure instead of just saying something like "I can't... I can't shoot Matron!" No, I don't think so. The "he doesn't shoot because it's Matron" was a retroactive rear end-pull by fans to cover this stupid plot point.

CeallaSo posted:

Except that this isn't even actually the case, because Galbadia Garden was working with Edea from the beginning, and the entire mission was a setup meant to provide an excuse for a counterattack against Balamb Garden. Everything from Seifer portaling away with Edea onward was Squall and his friends being taken advantage of because they were naive and desperate. This also means that Irvine couldn't have killed her, even if he had taken the shot when he was supposed to.

Like, I don't know where this all comes from. The nation of Galbadia already had a reason to target Garden after Seifer took the president hostage and Zell blurted out about being from Garden, which all happened before the sorceress assassination attempt. How was Seifer portaling away with Edea them being "taken advantage of"? Nobody knew Seifer would bust out of garden and show up there. This isn't all part of some brilliant villainous scheme.

As to the origins of the assassination mission,

FFVIII Script posted:

NORG: "FushifuruFushifuru...GIVE-YOUR-REPORT-ON-THE-SORCERESS."

Squall: (Now where do I start...?)

Garden Faculty: "Answer him quickly. Be concise."

Squall: (...It's going to be a sad report.) "...We failed to assassinate
Sorceress Edea. Confirmation of Headmaster Cid's order was made at
Galbadia Garden. After Irvine Kinneas of Galbadia Garden joined our
party... ...We set off to carry out the 'Sorceress Assassination' order
from Balamb and Galbadia Gardens..."

NORG: "Bujurururu! BALAMB-AND-GALBADIA'S-ORDERS!? Bujurururu! YOU-WERE-FOOLED!"

Squall: (Fooled!?) "I...don't understand."

NORG: "Fushurururu...EXPLAIN-TO-THEM."

Garden Faculty: "Master NORG has known about the alliance between the President
of Galbadia and the sorceress.
He heard it from the Galbadia
Garden master himself."

Squall: "The Galbadia Garden master...?"

NORG: "Fushururu...THE-MASTER-OF-GALBADIA-GARDEN-IS-A-SUBORDINATE-OF-
MINE-NAMED-MARTINE."

Garden Faculty 2: "Yes. In fact the sorceress and Garden are closely connected.
That is why the sorceress will definitely try to gain hold of
all Gardens."

Garden Faculty: "So, Master NORG sent an official order to Galbadia Garden. It
was to kill the sorceress.
An assassination was thought to be
the best means. But..."

NORG: "Bujurururu! THAT-SLY-WEASEL-MARTINE-USED-YOU-AS-A-LAST-RESORT-FOR-THE-
ASSASSINATION. HE-GAVE-THAT-ORDER-TO-PLACE-THE-BLAME-ON-ME! THAT-THAT-
BASTARD."

Squall: "Are you saying that Balamb Garden had nothing to do with that order?"

Garden Faculty: "You just happened to show up just before the mission was to be
carried out. They used you."

Squall: "But the operation failed. The sorceress is still alive and..."

Garden Faculty 2: "The sorceress retaliated. Just as we suspected. No doubt, it
was the sorceress who ordered the missile attacks."

Let's recap, for those who can't read. There was an alliance between the president of the nation of Galbadia and Edea, not between Galbadia garden and Edea. The nation of Galbadia wants to take over the gardens, and it succeeded with Galbadia garden, hence why the battle between Galbadia garden and Balamb involved Galbadia army soldier and not the standard Garden cadets. NORG from Garden DID INDEED order the assassination mission, but wanted Galbadia garden to do it. All Martine from Galbadia garden did was foist off the mission onto Squall and friends so it looked like a different garden was responsible. Except he still sent his own guy along with you because FFVIII's plot can't keep anything straight with itself.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

FFVIII has the best story in the franchise if you rate stories solely on how well they capture the un-logic of dreams

It’s almost David Lynch-like

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sorry to cut in but does anyone have World of Final Fantasy on PS4? Recently returned to it due to Maxima dropping and I'm insanely close to platinum but I need to get Maduin registered and oh my god this sand stalker thing is making me want to break the disk in half. Any slim chance anyone with a copy would mind trading it to me so I can just stop this nightmare?

E: Lmao great. Cool. Awesome. Literally next attempt I perfect clear it in record time. I'm kind of mad but I'll accept it just to be done with it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 11, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair if I knew how to read I wouldn’t be playing Final Fantasy games.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea is that you're supposed to experiment/use a strategy guide to figure out something like the don tonberry trick considering that overdrive->AP is a thing that exists. I couldn't imagine having to grind out sphere levels in the end game any other way. The sphere grid is so monstrously huge there isn't really a reason to find alternatives.

If you actually want to do all the post game stuff, sphere levels will be the least of your problems.

Yeah you reach a point where sphere levels are so easy to get that you'll instead be spending your time grinding spheres to fill in the slots instead

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean FF8 loving blows but I can justify Irvine not being able to shoot his own adoptive mom in the face.

I can't justify quistis abandoning a crucial mission to go apologize to someone she only vaguely knows for being moderately abrasive towards her

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's because they're teens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF8 is pretty heinous gameplay wise but the insane story more than makes up for it

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Bongo Bill posted:

It's because they're teens.

Yeah it's this. Nobody acts logically because they are children being raised as soldiers. If nothing else can be taken from the nonsensical plot of VIII you can take an overarching theme of "making soldiers out of children and young teens is hosed up man".

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I mean FF8 loving blows but I can justify Irvine not being able to shoot his own adoptive mom in the face.

So could I. That would've been some great foreshadowing, if he'd left it ambiguous why he couldn't take the shot during the mission and then later, when he's doing the (stupid) orphanage reveal, said "that's why I couldn't bring myself to shoot her." It's a shame the writers were too terrible to do that and instead made him choke because he's a chronic gently caress-up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

I can't justify quistis abandoning a crucial mission to go apologize to someone she only vaguely knows for being moderately abrasive towards her

My conclusion on that from when I used Quistis a lot and realized she actually has a story (you get extra scenes with her if you take her into space or have her in your party when you go to the Orphanage the final time) is that she mostly snapped at Rinoa out of petty jealousy. She knew Rinoa was closing in on Squall and she didn't snap at Rinoa for any legit reason but because she was upset about being outplayed in the game of love.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah it's this. Nobody acts logically because they are children being raised as soldiers. If nothing else can be taken from the nonsensical plot of VIII you can take an overarching theme of "making soldiers out of children and young teens is hosed up man".

Squall actually does a solid job of being a leader considering he’s a teenager who has severe abandonment issues

Honestly, it’s amazing the four SeeDs and Irvine were the best of the bunch considering how hosed up they are due to their incredibly hosed-up upbringing, which probably says more about the rest of the students like Seifer who failed. But hey, they aren’t FF7-levels of hosed up, and they did save the world from tIme kompression, so it all worked out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schwartzcough posted:

So could I. That would've been some great foreshadowing, if he'd left it ambiguous why he couldn't take the shot during the mission and then later, when he's doing the (stupid) orphanage reveal, said "that's why I couldn't bring myself to shoot her." It's a shame the writers were too terrible to do that and instead made him choke because he's a chronic gently caress-up.
Bad writing: subtle misdirection about someone's performance anxiety followed by a resolution of the real source implied
Good writing: subtle misdirection about someone's performance anxiety followed by resolution by smashing the reason in your face in explicit dialog calling it out

Truly the worst final fantasy.

Mega64 posted:

Squall actually does a solid job of being a leader considering he’s a teenager who has severe abandonment issues

Honestly, it’s amazing the four SeeDs and Irvine were the best of the bunch considering how hosed up they are due to their incredibly hosed-up upbringing, which probably says more about the rest of the students like Seifer who failed. But hey, they aren’t FF7-levels of hosed up, and they did save the world from tIme kompression, so it all worked out.
Not to mention they are the best chance we got to save us from time kompression because they are litterally best friends forever which allows them to anchor to each other to over come it and show up on Ultimecia's door step.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
"I, a sniper, always choke when it comes time to kill my target"

*shoots a galbadian soldier point blank with a shotgun*

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Edea and Irvine thing is one of those happy accidents in FFVIII's script.

They dropped the ball so hard in everything else.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Am I right in saying that 7, 8 and 9 more or less had the same writers? 8 stands out as being totally incoherent and full of holes compared to the other two

I still love it though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite random thing about 8 is there is an NPC who passes the SeeD exam with you at the beginning of the game and progressively levels up his navigation skills over the course of the story

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Barudak posted:

My favorite random thing about 8 is there is an NPC who passes the SeeD exam with you at the beginning of the game and progressively levels up his navigation skills over the course of the story

Yeah I like that. In general though it's completely weird that it ends up seeming like your team are the only SeeDs, or at least the only ones capable of doing anything. Where are the ones who graduated years earlier and are more experienced than you? I guess there's Xu and those secret white SeeDs, but they're basically irrelevant

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh crap Ff13 is now X enhanced? Dammit time to play the game through for the... 4th time?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Paperhouse posted:

Am I right in saying that 7, 8 and 9 more or less had the same writers? 8 stands out as being totally incoherent and full of holes compared to the other two

I still love it though

More like 7, 8, and 10 were done roughly by the same team. 9 was written by Sakaguchi and directed by Ito.

Legit, ragging on 8 is fun, but it’s still a very unique and good game and I have regular moods where I want to re-experience its utter insanity

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Mostly any time anyone ITT talks about FF7, 8, 9 or 10 and I haven't played it in like 2 years it makes me want to go and play it again. I don't feel like these games SHOULD be as replayable as I find them to be

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think I'd have more tolerance for FFX if I could skip cutscenes. It has cool mechanics but going through the story once in my teens was enough. FFXII doesnt have this problem so Ive replayed it quite a bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I think I'd have more tolerance for FFX if I could skip cutscenes. It has cool mechanics but going through the story once in my teens was enough. FFXiI doesnt have this problem so Ive replayed it quite a bit.

Same. All I wanted from a remaster was cutscene skip and well, bummer

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I still love it though

Nojima wrote VIII alone so far as I know while he was part of a tam with VII and X.

Maybe that's why it was so bad and those other two were so good, nobody reined him in. Like a novelist who gets so popular they can bypass editors.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zedprime posted:

Bad writing: subtle misdirection about someone's performance anxiety followed by a resolution of the real source implied
Good writing: subtle misdirection about someone's performance anxiety followed by resolution by smashing the reason in your face in explicit dialog calling it out

Truly the worst final fantasy.

see, this would work... if he ever saw edea. but he knows nothing about her. his only knowledge about the operation is that she's called The Sorceress, and that she's going to be riding a float trapped between two grates. but he doesn't look at her during the parade, he just sits there psyching himself up until he says "I CAN'T DO IT I CAN'T TAKE THE SHOT!"

and then when he does see her, he does shoot her!

the counter-argument doesn't work, because he doesn't have enough information about his target to know that she's the matron, and starting at the very moment he might, he shoots to loving kill

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 11, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

see, this would work... if he ever saw edea. but he knows nothing about her. his only knowledge about the operation is that she's called The Sorceress, and that she's going to be riding a float trapped between two grates. but he doesn't look at her during the parade, he just sits there psyching himself up until he says "I CAN'T DO IT I CAN'T TAKE THE SHOT!"

and then when he does see her, he does shoot her!

the counter-argument doesn't work, because he doesn't have enough information about his target to know that she's the matron, and starting at the very moment he might, he shoots to loving kill
Yeah it's not like she was on the only TV show on the airwaves for people to notice who the new ambassador was.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zedprime posted:

Yeah it's not like she was on the only TV show on the airwaves for people to notice who the new ambassador was.

then why did he shoot her anyway? he just choked because he's a lovely sniper

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's no way this conversation continues in any sort of way beside nuh uh actually after going in a circle in the past page so I'm going to remind everyone that the missile base team got into a tank and accidentally drove to FH and accidentally nearly murdered the entire garden saving team. FF8 is a college farce about college mercenaries doing farcical college mercenary things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I don't why people are arguing about whether an ambiguously stupid moment from ff8 is stupid or actually kind of makes sense when there's many, many unambiguously stupid moments.