Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Reinanigans posted:

So is next week the conclusion? There was nothing in the NEP and you all said it’d be caught up with the manga.

It's actually passed the manga as of this last episode and next week is indeed the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokinokaro posted:

It's actually passed the manga as of this last episode and next week is indeed the ending.

I have to say they did a great job making Cartophilus a creepy villain.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

There Bias Two posted:

I have to say they did a great job making Cartophilus a creepy villain.

Not only is he really creepy, I also feel very sorry for him. Last week I briefly considered making a joke about how Chise will somehow befriend Cartaphilus. She's totally going to do it, though. Everyone can be redeemed.

Between this show, Devilman, Citrus and After the Rain, there sure are a lot of animes with outsider/socially unacceptable romance happening at the moment. And I've somehow ended up enjoying most of them (except for After the Rain, which was somehow too weird for me). Anime is queer as hell, this year. :allears:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
You know you're a history nerd if you found this to be the most noteworthy part of the episode:

That is an absurd level of detail for a random, three-second establishing shot of Constantinople.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Technically still behind. The latest chapter ends literally one page's worth of content after the episode. Otherwise, aside from adapting more speedily/rushing some things, it's been faithful so I can't imagine it'll be all that much different than w/e ends up happening in the manga. Now whether or not that will make a satisfying ending, who the gently caress knows.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Just caught up and oh boy have these last few episodes been quite the rush, for better and worse. I've really enjoyed this latest arc's story and the cliffhangers, but episode 23 could have used a few more editing passes to tighten up the storyboard.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

The junk collector posted:

Also I am definitely in the Lindel's song sucked camp.

What, you don't think a powerful mage would use boring ballads to cast spells?

IMO, having him do something like a finnish/norwegian Joik would have been a slam dunk. He is already pretty inspired by the Sami people with his dress and the reindeer.

This, to me, sounds like something you could use to work magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FzEpXNOjCY

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was...uh...weird. I liked most of it, I think?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

There Bias Two posted:

That was...uh...weird. I liked most of it, I think?

I feel like they shouldn't have gone out of their way to remind us that Elias literally bought Chise. It's… not okay. Please return the receipt to her, you big weirdo.

Other than that, I didn't really understand what Ashen Eye had to do with any of this. It also really doesn't seem to me like Cartaphilus' and Chise's behaviour are even vaguely similar. One person makes others suffer, the other throws her life away. One involves other people in his own self-destructive bullshit, the other desperately tries to find some kind of recognition, no matter how superficial.

I guess they kind of married at the end, but their relationship really hasn't become any more intimate. Like, at least scratch that dog skull wizard behind his non-existent ears or something.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I was satisfied with the ending.

Confused by the rest of the episode but the ending made me happy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a good ending. :3:

I really don't think we're supposed to take Joseph's arguments seriously. The point was those are the same things Chise used to believe herself.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Labes for days posted:

I was satisfied with the ending.

Confused by the rest of the episode but the ending made me happy.

My impression was that Chise planned to put Cartaphilus under a sleeping spell like she did with Elias. It didn't work at first because he had her eye, and was therefore immune. So, she held him down, Ruth ripped out the eye, and Elias used vines, so Cartaphilus couldn't get away. The fairy also teamed up with Elias to increase his AOE. Now Cartaphilus is chilling in some cosy tower, and Chise brings him water sometimes.

Maybe Ashen Eye put him up to the dragon kidnapping. It's not clear to me.

The part of Chise that belongs to Cartaphilus keeps Chise alive, while the mortal dragon part will eventually kill her.

Sindai posted:

That was a good ending. :3:

I really don't think we're supposed to take Joseph's arguments seriously. The point was those are the same things Chise used to believe herself.

Some of the dialogue seemed really disjointed, like a bad translation. I just didn't understand what they were talking about.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2018

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mostly I just didn't get why Ashen Eye was there. If that was explained I missed it, other than just generally that character being a poo poo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Labes for days posted:

Mostly I just didn't get why Ashen Eye was there. If that was explained I missed it, other than just generally that character being a poo poo.

He was manipulating the whole situation somehow, possibly to capture Chise.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Labes for days posted:

He's fey, the writer don't got to explain poo poo.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

chise got her eye back? so shouldn't she die without carto's eye?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

where the red fern gropes posted:

He took more than her eye but we don't have specifics thankfully.

Remember that he took the eye to test for rejection only.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

He didn't take more than her eye, right after that scene she grabbed him and forced him to reveal his story, then the cavalry arrived and chased him off.

After thinking about it a while, I'm not unhappy that Elias purchasing Chise got brought up again. You can't dictate where you start; you can only choose where you go. And despite on the surface being about faeries and magic, this has really been a story about reparative relationships and people learning from and growing with one another.

I just don't know what I'll do with myself now that it's over (and I don't know if the manga is ongoing.) This is the first anime I've gotten attached to in literally a decade.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Labes for days posted:

He didn't take more than her eye, right after that scene she grabbed him and forced him to reveal his story, then the cavalry arrived and chased him off.

After thinking about it a while, I'm not unhappy that Elias purchasing Chise got brought up again. You can't dictate where you start; you can only choose where you go. And despite on the surface being about faeries and magic, this has really been a story about reparative relationships and people learning from and growing with one another.

I just don't know what I'll do with myself now that it's over (and I don't know if the manga is ongoing.) This is the first anime I've gotten attached to in literally a decade.

Yeah, that was my impression, as well. I'm not sure they put Chise's eye back in her head, actually. Maybe Cartophilus' eye just changed colour after a while?

The manga is probably gonna keep going. We still don't know who Elias really is or what Chise's father ran away from.

If you're looking for recommendations, I started watching this show after finishing Devilman Crybaby (which is about monstrous love, but very depressing), and I've since started watching Citrus (socially unacceptable love) and March Comes in Like a Lion (lonely talented kid finds family). Much like The Ancient Magus' Bride, those last two have a similar hopeful attitude while addressing some heavy subjects.

Have you watched many Studio Ghibli films? Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away in particular have very similar types of stories.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

Eventually she will, yes, as the Carto Eyeball Spirit explained, it presumably stuck around in Chise's body after the physical eyeball was removed and came to an agreement with the Dragon Curse Arm to act as a mediator to give Chise a coincidentally normalish human lifespan but ultimately promise to let her life succumb to the curse at a later time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

One neat detail I liked: After Chise woke up the magic-sponge teddy bear that previously would grow a handful of flowers looked like a flower bed

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

And More posted:

If you're looking for recommendations, I started watching this show after finishing Devilman Crybaby (which is about monstrous love, but very depressing), and I've since started watching Citrus (socially unacceptable love) and March Comes in Like a Lion (lonely talented kid finds family). Much like The Ancient Magus' Bride, those last two have a similar hopeful attitude while addressing some heavy subjects.

Have you watched many Studio Ghibli films? Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away in particular have very similar types of stories.

Yeah I've seen both of those and love them too! Devilman Crybaby was messed up but I watched that too; I'll give the others a try.

I hope the manga keeps going because yeah, lots of unanswered questions. I'm planning to buy the anthologies if/when they get translated but it's just not the same as reading the manga.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Good ending.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I liked it! I still would have liked to have seen Elias understand more why what he did to Stella was wrong, besides making Chise mad.

Let’s hope the manga continues and we get a second cour of this in a few years.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The wedding scene was adorable and I'm glad that Joseph got a brief respite.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

The wedding scene was adorable and I'm glad that Joseph got a brief respite.

It was pretty messed up coming right off of Elias trying to sacrifice her friend and not understanding why that was a bad idea.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I find it weirder that even in the last episode Chise and Elias' relationship seems to stagger between paternal and romantic. That scene in the final episode with Chise listing out the rules for her going out is very similar to a child talking to a parent for instance, and then a few minutes later they're getting married and it just seems weird.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 29, 2018

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well their relationship is weird, no two ways about it. Just, no reason it can't be weird and wonderful too, or however the saying goes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well it was definitely intriguing regardless, and I was okay with it because despite seeming very paternal at times Elias himself was also very childish a good bit of the time so it never felt overwhelmingly odd and Chise often had to teach him fairly basic human things. I do think their relationship would benefit from a longer time frame and from them both growing up a bit emotionally before it committed to them as lovers, but I can understand why a 24 episode show chose not to do that either.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Is anyone else still reading the manga? Chapter 45 is finally out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

tsob posted:

Well it was definitely intriguing regardless, and I was okay with it because despite seeming very paternal at times Elias himself was also very childish a good bit of the time so it never felt overwhelmingly odd and Chise often had to teach him fairly basic human things. I do think their relationship would benefit from a longer time frame and from them both growing up a bit emotionally before it committed to them as lovers, but I can understand why a 24 episode show chose not to do that either.

Yeah this is the thing. It would be a lot weirder if just one of them were emotionally stunted but it's more that both of them have gaping holes in their socialization and each of them ends up teaching the other at different times.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Labes for days posted:

Is anyone else still reading the manga? Chapter 45 is finally out.

I am. For the most part it seems like the anime followed it pretty faithfully, except for small details in the very last bit and some additional story after that.

For those curious, instead of a white dress similar in feel to a wedding dress, Chise's wearing a really pretty looking black dress that's stated to be one Stella was gifted that ended up being too big for her. The rings are so that they know if something bad happens to each other, and it really wasn't intended on Chise's part to be an engagement ring. It follows that up with Chise and Elias enrolling in the college, so that seems like where the story will be heading next.

Who knows how long until we get another season of this show, if ever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
chapter 46

I love that Joseph is just your friendly neighborhood existential threat now.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
manga q what question did joseph ask chise in 46?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I checked like a month and a half ago and it didn't seem like new chapters had been released, but now we're up to Chapter 49.

A bunch of new characters being introduced in this arc, I wonder how many of them are going to remain prominent. Alice remains one of the coolest characters.

DisDisDis posted:

manga q what question did joseph ask chise in 46?

I can't figure this out either, it may have been asked offscreen.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nice smile Mr Tory's got there.

I enjoy how Ains is barely remarkable amongst all the crazy body mod wizards.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 2, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Chapter 50

We finally get some more Silky! I was wondering how focused this arc would be on the school, I'm glad we're getting some countryside moments as well. They're what I associate Magus Bride with the most. Does anyone have any idea what the nun could be?

Ashen Eye needs to buzz off.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Manga, you've ruined Stella's life enough already, thankyouverymuch :mad:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I do wonder if Stella having all this repeated exposure to the magical world will eventually awaken something in her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Are there still a number of people interested in this? I've been working on a new thread focusing on the manga that I was going to post once the next chapter is translated, but this thread has been pretty slow and I'm not sure how much of that is due to this thread being for the now over anime and how much of it is due to general disinterest.