Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

booseek posted:

What game is this?

Well it looks like how most of my Civilization games end up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/1061396033593335808

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/932323997391491082

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GoluboiOgon posted:

the framing of "In medicine, too, we are trying to deliver a range of services to millions of people at a reasonable cost and with a consistent level of quality. Unlike the Cheesecake Factory, we haven’t figured out how" is absurd. every other developed country has figured out ways to do healthcare with better coverage for half of the cost minimum. reasonably priced universal healthcare is a solved problem, but the people who profit from our wasteful system have enough clout to make copying any other country's system politically impossible.

Not to mention that the complaints he has--uncoordinated care, rewarding providers for best practices, fee-for-patient instead of fee-for-service, electronic medical records, provider payments withheld from Medicare for infection non-control--were all things that we were assured that the ACA had tackled and would resolve by this point in time.

Awande also ignores how private insurers' demands influence care or the lack thereof, and intimates that the current stat of 75 percent of doctors being on salaried staff of hospitals is the doctors' choice, instead of the result of private insurance/provider cartels. I'm sure there are docs like Awande who are happier as staff docs, but it's kind of weird how he ignores what's generally been acknowledged as the underlying cause of the switch.

More doctors salaried by hospitals usually means more revenue for the hospitals (and thus higher medical costs for consumers), which can tack on facility fees for clinics & surgical centers and ER fees for their own facilities.

Some of things he discusses, like telemedicine, are fine & cool, and CMS has issued a 2019 ruling that doctors can now charge Medicare for tele-visits. But he kinda ignores the for-profit elephant in the room, maybe because he's chosen to work for a non-profit facility. I'd also like to see some hard stats on the part I bolded below, bc I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of hospitals in this country are now for-profit, and gobbling up non-profit facilities to create their vast systems:

quote:

Today, some ninety “super-regional” health-care systems have formed across the country—large, growing chains of clinics, hospitals, and home-care agencies. Most are not-for-profit. Financial analysts expect the successful ones to drive independent medical centers out of existence in much of the country—either by buying them up or by drawing away their patients with better quality and cost control.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Its not something that happens overnight. It took decades to get it from a single province to be accepted country wide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine_in_Canada

I dont think anyone here thinks its going to be a small or easy change, but its one that absolutely needs to happen.

Hence the urgent need for at least one major political party to get out of its comfort zone of "we passed healthcare reform so we're all good" and start propelling that change.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well it looks like how most of my Civilization games end up.

You mean most of yours don't end up in nuclear hellfire like mine do? For shame.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Please don’t do this, thanks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Your Taint posted:

You mean most of yours don't end up in nuclear hellfire like mine do? For shame.

Fond memories of the time I carpet-nuked Izzy in Civ 4, hitting every single tile with one nuke, and most of her cities with two or three.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1061415769207177216

No. No.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Hence the urgent need for at least one major political party to get out of its comfort zone of "we passed healthcare reform so we're all good" and start propelling that change.

That was the hard part up here. It took a while to get someone who could take that growing desire from the populace and turn it into a vehicle for change.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s stepping down in January.

If that's true, does the Governor or GOP just get to keep handing the seat over to who they choose without a special election? What if McSally took the seat and quit after six months?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lmao it's peggy noonan

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Wicked Them Beats posted:

lol they were going to call the new town Eagle's Landing.

Eagle's Nest was already taken

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well I just got blocked on Twitter by Josh Barro, I feel like I’m officially part of political twitter now after first joining Twitter like 6 months ago.

Basically he just had a hissy fit calling people criticizing Trump for skipping the WWI event crazy. I’d share the dumb tweets but, I’m blocked.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

"You're angry about a perjuring sex pest getting a lifetime SC seat? Stop acting like a child"

What y'all really need is a coordinated effort to harass the poo poo out of every trash pundit whenever they appear in public until they all leave the country.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mahoning posted:

Well I just got blocked on Twitter by Josh Barro, I feel like I’m officially part of political twitter now after first joining Twitter like 6 months ago.

Basically he just had a hissy fit calling people criticizing Trump for skipping the WWI event crazy. I’d share the dumb tweets but, I’m blocked.

Everybody should delete their Twitter account anyway. Quit giving these chuds a void to shout into.

Take. Away. Their. Platform.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

Some of things he discusses, like telemedicine, are fine & cool, and CMS has issued a 2019 ruling that doctors can now charge Medicare for tele-visits. But he kinda ignores the for-profit elephant in the room, maybe because he's chosen to work for a non-profit facility. I'd also like to see some hard stats on the part I bolded below, bc I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of hospitals in this country are now for-profit, and gobbling up non-profit facilities to create their vast systems:

Nonprofit means gently caress all, too, though. Execs can still make millions. Efficiency can still be awful if not worse. Just no one’s getting dividends or capital gains.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Everybody should delete their Twitter account anyway. Quit giving these chuds a void to shout into.

I mean, Josh Barro’s not that bad. He’s mostly got level headed observations as a former conservative, but he basically had a meltdown. He’s certainly not a chud, but he does seem to be a little baby.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How about :fuckoff:?

Maybe we shouldn't treat government like a corporation at all, and maybe we should lock our insane, racist, traitorous President away forever, along with dumbass collaborators like you?

I love how before they lose the GOP was full on "you are going to be destroyed because this is what people want" :smug:

Then we win big and they go "you have to compromise with us now, it's what people want" :smug:

While still maintaining their psychotic level of hatred in the background.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Your Taint posted:

nuclear missiles are only for cowards that can't afford metal gears :smuggo:

Smeef posted:

Nonprofit means gently caress all, too, though. Execs can still make millions. Efficiency can still be awful if not worse. Just no one’s getting dividends or capital gains.

There's also the split between nonprofits and not-for-profits. Neither group pays taxes and can spend salaries for permanent employees; not-for-profits are allowed to take that payment out of fundraising income, while nonprofits can't iirc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BAHAHAHAHAH. oh gently caress off WSJ. trump lost big and he knows it. also trump would never listen to a Board anyway.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this may apparently come as a surprise but reading the Wall Street Journal's opinion section is the newspaper equivalent of watching Fox News in primetime

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

BAHAHAHAHAH. oh gently caress off WSJ. trump lost big and he knows it. also trump would never listen to a Board anyway.

It's literally an editorial from Peggy Noonan. She wrote speeches for Reagan and her memoirs are amazing, the open with her on a "bus of hippies" that she leaves when she "realizes that unlike them, she didn't hate America"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

this may apparently come as a surprise but reading the Wall Street Journal's opinion section is the newspaper equivalent of watching Fox News in primetime

so it NYT it seems.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

I had a coworker who very smugly told me the morning of the election that she had written in Full Communism Now because Hillary was going to win anyway so she wasn't going to debase herself by voting for her. When I saw her the next day she was crying

I distinctly recall the Hillbots telling critics that she didn't need their votes. Frequently.

I don't think your coworker was the person at fault there.

duodenum posted:

Reminds me of this, the GOP endgame:

Is this a render of a scene from Brave New World? It looks familiar but I can't recall where I've seen it before.

Willa Rogers posted:

This is true for most major societal initiatives, not just healthcare, and a major failing of the Democrats / Democratic mindset is that they began believing that it would happen of its own accord so all they needed to do was pass tax credits and hold the status quo intact.

Semi-related to the healthcare discussion, do American medical schools still artificially restrict the number of doctors?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Unzip and Attack posted:

Eagle's Nest was already taken

So was White Settlement.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So with this news Arizona is pretty much a called game right?

Which makes the GOP +2 in the Senate for the House, and that's before Florida and Georgia are settled.

MAGA.wav

https://youtu.be/9Jz1TjCphXE

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mahoning posted:

I mean, Josh Barro’s not that bad. He’s mostly got level headed observations as a former conservative, but he basically had a meltdown. He’s certainly not a chud, but he does seem to be a little baby.

Sorry, yeah I just meant in general. I'm not familiar with him.

But Twitter is just garbage. Every "good" thing on Twitter is merely just a reaction to the lovely. Just take it all away!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Not to mention that the complaints he has--uncoordinated care, rewarding providers for best practices, fee-for-patient instead of fee-for-service, electronic medical records, provider payments withheld from Medicare for infection non-control--were all things that we were assured that the ACA had tackled and would resolve by this point in time.

Awande also ignores how private insurers' demands influence care or the lack thereof, and intimates that the current stat of 75 percent of doctors being on salaried staff of hospitals is the doctors' choice, instead of the result of private insurance/provider cartels. I'm sure there are docs like Awande who are happier as staff docs, but it's kind of weird how he ignores what's generally been acknowledged as the underlying cause of the switch.

More doctors salaried by hospitals usually means more revenue for the hospitals (and thus higher medical costs for consumers), which can tack on facility fees for clinics & surgical centers and ER fees for their own facilities.

Pretty crazy how a program that started under the GOP didn't fix a loving thing. :thunk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BonoMan posted:

But I just got like 500 likes on a single tweet

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

30k now

https://mobile.twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1061434818804805632

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Should this go in the schadenfreude thread

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1061436170956087296

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

eke out posted:

i'm laughing about Notable Nazi Steve King in a dispute with the far-left publication "the weekly standard"

https://twitter.com/stephenfhayes/status/1061415279161434112

er, i mean

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/1061282737020116992

Antifa News

Steve King is so far right that The Weekly Standard would be a far-left publication to him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

*sees 40K for greens*

and once again greens and other special snowflakes have to ruin things*

*not really sort of.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Barro would 100% vote GOP if any meaningful leftist reform or candidate was put to the vote. He is a reliable left punching dipshit without an original thought in his head.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Roger Stone is apparently in Broward county. He insists that this recount is completely different from the one in 2000.

The Green candidate dropped out early on and endorsed Sinema. It's just the GOP Arizona was intentionally boosting Green as if she could win.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 11, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

That's not true at all.

Fox would have dropped Noonan a long time ago.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

lmao I was just coming here to post that. Rohrbacher is one of the most satisfying scalps of the midterm, only beaten out by Walker and Kobach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

duodenum posted:

Reminds me of this, the GOP endgame:

If there are any science fiction fans here, this picture reminds me alot of the Niven/Pournelle book Oath of Fealty which is a story about how a private libertarian supercity will solve all of LA's problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Fealty_(novel)