Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does this show pick up at all? I watched the first two episodes and wasn't exactly thrilled by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If you weren't thrilled by the first couple episodes things don't really change. There's still the ongoing mystery of what's really going on and the kaiju battles are still over fairly quickly without a lot of focus, but are nicely animated. Thinking about it, if the ball gets dropped on the mystery there isn't that much substance otherwise. There are some interesting character moments and it all might lead up to something, but even the part that seemed to cause a lot of people in here to be excited that fan theories were correct (what was going on at the end of the water rafting episode) really just seemed like an example of what had been happening so far all series to me, like the school resetting after being destroyed at the end of the first episode.

That being said personally I'm super hype on the show and it's at the top of the list of shows I'm excited to watch each week. But if you don't feel that way after the first couple, I don't think there's going to be a lot that's happened since then to draw you in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

If you weren't thrilled by the first couple episodes things don't really change. There's still the ongoing mystery of what's really going on and the kaiju battles are still over fairly quickly without a lot of focus, but are nicely animated. Thinking about it, if the ball gets dropped on the mystery there isn't that much substance otherwise. There are some interesting character moments and it all might lead up to something, but even the part that seemed to cause a lot of people in here to be excited that fan theories were correct (what was going on at the end of the water rafting episode) really just seemed like an example of what had been happening so far all series to me, like the school resetting after being destroyed at the end of the first episode.

That being said personally I'm super hype on the show and it's at the top of the list of shows I'm excited to watch each week. But if you don't feel that way after the first couple, I don't think there's going to be a lot that's happened since then to draw you in.

I'd say that, if nothing else, the show has a lot of great low key character moments, and some pretty good animation. But yeah. If someone asked after the first episode, I'd say to keep going, because it's really entertaining so far. But if the second episode did nothing for you, then the show likely won't do anything for you.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PasokonGal/status/1061322562943246337

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well, all the puzzle pieces are coming together in the latest episode. Virtual world theory correct!

Nice Inferno Cop music at the mall. Amusing metacommentary about no kaiju fight this episode. OP and ED suddenly got translations for some reason. Wonder what the gang will get up to by next episode considering they're all in one place for once.

Edit: Audio drama out. On the long side, but pretty amusing.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 10, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The twists are beginning to land, largely as I expected so far.

Playing Akane as a depressed person we're here to save certainly seems nicer and more interesting than her just being crrrrrrraaaaaazy and in need of a thumping, but I do worry a little bit about whether the actual legit murders she's responsible for are just going to be shrugged off. Not sure yet how I want the show to handle that.

Also I'm more convinced than ever that Yuta isn't, strictly speaking, a person.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

It'll be interesting to see where the go from here, now that the initial mysteries of the setting are known to Yuta at least.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

The twists are beginning to land, largely as I expected so far.

Playing Akane as a depressed person we're here to save certainly seems nicer and more interesting than her just being crrrrrrraaaaaazy and in need of a thumping, but I do worry a little bit about whether the actual legit murders she's responsible for are just going to be shrugged off. Not sure yet how I want the show to handle that.

Also I'm more convinced than ever that Yuta isn't, strictly speaking, a person.

Depends on how virtual this virtual world is. If everything in this world turns out to basically be a part of Akane's psyche then it's less murder and more a convoluted form of self-harm.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think that episode gave enough information for some wild speculation. In the real world Akane was severely bullied in school for being a kaiju otaku to the point where she was placed in VR therapy for it. She's supposed to be able to lead a happy school life here. Alexis is a malicious program or person who snuck in and is subverting the simulation to make her worse for unknown reasons. Gridman and the samurai are defensive programs sent in to kick Alexis out, but something happened when they entered and they ended up scattered and weak, only able to manifest by attaching Gridman to Yuta.

This presumably isn't the first time something like this has happened, since the kaiju who act as the maintainers/janitors of the simulation know Gridman and wanted to help him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Depends on how virtual this virtual world is. If everything in this world turns out to basically be a part of Akane's psyche then it's less murder and more a convoluted form of self-harm.

Ohhhhh, I hadn't thought of that. That's really clever. I was worried it would just be '*shrug* well it's not like she killed real people' and that would be that, but making the attacks onto the city into a self-harm metaphor would be really sharp.

Although, if that's true of the victims, I wonder if there's anyone in the cast besides maybe Gridman and the weapon team it's not true of.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ohhhhh, I hadn't thought of that. That's really clever. I was worried it would just be '*shrug* well it's not like she killed real people' and that would be that, but making the attacks onto the city into a self-harm metaphor would be really sharp.

Although, if that's true of the victims, I wonder if there's anyone in the cast besides maybe Gridman and the weapon team it's not true of.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm 100% right or anything. Rikka in particular seems a bit too complex and multilayered as a person whose thoughts we follow to just be a simulation of someone else's impression of her. So there's probably something else going on. But I can definately see some sort of self-harm metaphor at work here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1061360105441058816

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

OP and ED suddenly got translations for some reason.

I thought it was interesting that the lyrics are "I've come to rescue you from 'boredom'" just as Gridman appears outside the window in front of Akane.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This just makes my confusion about the series worse. I can't follow what Rikka's thought process is or why she cares about Akane. I like that she takes Anti in, though. I also like tiny kaiju girl and the implication that Kaiju have multiple roles. I hope we just get the relationship and backstory spelled out eventually because I am a moron.

I like that this anime isn't afraid to be quiet but I don't know if I'm enjoying the overall effect.

E: also, it's looking like this IS a sequel to the original show - Kaiju girl is the daughter of Anoshiras, a monster from the original show. gently caress.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 10, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I really digged this episode a lot. It was quiet, but had a lot going on. The reveals, tell us a lot but also still keeps the main mystery about the world. It raises a few more questions, while keeping some progress. I like that it answers the questions most of us already had some sense of the answer for.

Also, I feel like Alexis has become a little more creepy since. That final shot is a good one imo. I'm looking forward to seeing where the next episode is going to take us.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Junior Highs fighting in their human forms were pretty cool as well. Max using Grimlock's mace hand from the movie version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, I wasn't expecting Akane to get revealed to the group (or Yuta at least) quite this soon, and the whole virtual world theory appears to have now been confirmed as well. I'm very curious to see where things go from here.

Also, does Kaiju Girl have a name? I forget if she was on the initial cast list or not.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting Akane to get revealed to the group (or Yuta at least) quite this soon, and the whole virtual world theory appears to have now been confirmed as well. I'm very curious to see where things go from here.

Also, does Kaiju Girl have a name? I forget if she was on the initial cast list or not.

She's Kaijugirl Anoshiras (2nd generation).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

She's Kaijugirl Anoshiras (2nd generation).

Huh, this might actually be a direct sequel to the original after all as I'm pretty sure Anoshiras is a monster that has only appeared in Gridman and no other Ultra production (it was also the only monster that was not created by that show's primary antagonist, it just happened to be a creature that lived in the digital world),

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I only realized this episode that the starbow's logo looks like Alexis' face.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone may have to explain the original series then, since now the idea of this being a completely separate reimagining rather than a stealth sequel is...debatable. To not say almost definitely untrue.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean they might not ever bring in stuff from the original show or make it so that you don't need to know any more details, but at this point I feel like I've been told "oh yeah you don't need to know poo poo about the old show" and now suddenly I do because there's legacy stuff or direct sequels going on. It's frustrating because I like this show on its own merits and I don't want to have to go look any of that up. I would much rather it be self-contained.

I suppose we still have six more episodes to go to see if the show develops one way or the other.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As has been mentioned before, the original Gridman is legally available to watch via TOKU and Amazon Prime (though only in the US I believe and it requires a paid subscription). But yeah, while I've actually seen the original I'd personally prefer that this show stay as self-contained as possible. We'll see I suppose.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Deleter posted:

I mean they might not ever bring in stuff from the original show or make it so that you don't need to know any more details, but at this point I feel like I've been told "oh yeah you don't need to know poo poo about the old show" and now suddenly I do because there's legacy stuff or direct sequels going on. It's frustrating because I like this show on its own merits and I don't want to have to go look any of that up. I would much rather it be self-contained.

I suppose we still have six more episodes to go to see if the show develops one way or the other.

Anoshiras entry on the Ultraman wiki if you're curious. Honestly, even if it is actually in continuity with OG Gridman, I highly doubt you'll actually need to know anything about the original series to get the plot of SSSS.Gridman.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
An episode in which our heroes go on dates, and the support squad show stealth.

Max's hiding place was amazing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This show has the cutest details.

Max holding Calibur's swords out of the way of banging on the doorframe. :kimchi:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Edit: Audio drama out. On the long side, but pretty amusing.
Speaking of links to the original: The NGJHS students mention they're named after junior high school students who saved the world in the past. Safe to assume they mean the original Gridman kids?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

My favorite reference in this ep was the security camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JULWSLPMA1A

Hogama posted:

This show has the cutest details.

Max holding Calibur's swords out of the way of banging on the doorframe. :kimchi:

Calibur and Max continue to be the best boys on the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Anoshiras entry on the Ultraman wiki if you're curious. Honestly, even if it is actually in continuity with OG Gridman, I highly doubt you'll actually need to know anything about the original series to get the plot of SSSS.Gridman.

Yeah, so far you really don't need to know anything about the original series to enjoy SSSS. It just helps you appreciate certain details a bit more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/metaking64x/status/1060730180740759552

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

𝓅𝓇ℴ𝒸𝓁𝒾𝒸𝓀

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
We're only half way in so there's still time for this to pull a Darling in the Franxx but oh god please don't pull a darling in the franxx.

e: I would play the heck out of a Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee type game.

ee: City Shrouded In Shadows DLC would even be acceptable.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 11, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

We're only half way in so there's still time for this to pull a Darling in the Franxx but oh god please don't pull a darling in the franxx.

Different staff, different writers. No real reason to expect it would do that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm not sure what it would be able to do to even earn that comparison at this point. just let shows exist

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah there's really no common ground between the shows other than "some vaguely Trigger-adjacent people worked on them" and "they both involve things you could maybe call mecha"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

I'm not sure what it would be able to do to even earn that comparison at this point.

Famous Last Words

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think we're past a Franxx moment because as far as we know the cards are on the table. Unless there's a sudden twist from outside the world Akane's kaiju have built. I can't imagine that happening in as dumb a way as in Franxx.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Trigger: starts to draw a line

Goon: I'm concerned, this is starting to look like 02's rear end from Franxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Something tells me that both Akane and Rikka have overtaken 02 as Trigger waifu of the year.